Plymouth University

Plymouth University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom94 reviews
productive, organised and creative environment/ institution to work for
productive, organised and creative environment/ institution to work for, excellent culture. Constantly under structure to develop and evolve into a more cultural, educational, professional and of reputation platform for all people from all directions of life and different paths.
Pros
Constant educational and not only events
Cons
no cons
Fun place to work, limited hours
The hardest part of this job is keeping up with the pace of the University. The management is generally good.
I really enjoyed meeting the masses of people who frequent the University. My typical day was spent serving in the cafes in a fast paced environment.
Pros
Free Lunches, Friendly Management, Opportunity, Weekends Off, Term based hours, University resource access
Cons
Competitive Work Culture, Short Breaks
Slow paced simple work
The work as a student ambassador tends to be fairly simple with the atmosphere being very relaxed. It is a simple job which is nice to have whilst studying for your degree.
Good place of work
This job encourages working relationships, allows for you to show your true expressive self and utilises your most valued skills. I have enjoyed working here.
Avoid ucsp
I would never recommend this company, they are a subsidiary of the university however make out they are offer great benefits. What they don’t tell you is they are self driven they don’t care about their staff and the management are living in a world of their own both the catering and nursery division.
This company breaches policy and put staff and children at risk.
cleaning duties
use too be ok everything was relaxed now though have had a couple off new boses have arrived always on your back collegues are friendly and well worth working with
Pros
wages
I have only ever worked for the university as a temp but it's a great place to work and the pay is good. You will have a lot of different experiences working for the university and with good benefits if in a permanent role. Close to the city centre and bus routes, it's central and handy. It's a good place to work. I've had many varied administration roles in a lot of different faculties and you learn something different every time.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Difficult to get into a permanent role
There's definitely worse
Had a few odd jobs in Plymouth, working for the uni was definitely the best out of them all. Management care fro your welfare and while the work is hard at least you know you're being paid fairly.

I get the impression the management/office is pretty shambolic and that can be difficult to work with but at the end of the day they've got happy staff.
Productive and enjoyable experience
The people were friendly and would put time into helping you understand certain aspects of the work. I learned a great deal in that week and was supported thoroughly throughout by various people. They taught us various skills and techniques that an inidivudal may need for the future and gave good advice.
Great University
The student union is a great place to work, great benefits and you can choose your shift hours. The management are wonderful and make your shifts very fun.
Student Jobs
The roles here for students are really well paid and they provide you with multiple opportunities to get other jobs and more hours during the academic year.
Lack of communication between different areas of work.
Salaries and benefits were attractive when applying for the job, but once in the role, it’s was easy to see that management from different sectors of the university weren’t in communication with other areas as much as they could be, which left room for confusion on implementing certain rules.

Workers under the management roles were left to pick up the pieces of lack of management and left to make decisions above their pay grade.
Pros
Salary
Professional and enjoyable
I have learned so much at Plymouth University and thoroughly enjoyed my employment across three faculties. I have expanded my skill set and enjoyed the challenges I have endured.
Good job as a student
This is a good job to do if you need an extra little money whilst you are studying for your degree, It is nice to work with other students and the university staff.
Earn extra money by being student ambassador
My role mainly involved helping out with open days, which meant giving tours to prospective students and answering any queries they or their families may have. I also worked in the university's call centre, in which I called prospective students to say thanks for showing interest and how they rated their open day experience.
Productive and fun volunteer based community
The student union worked efficiently, and I enjoyed my time in my volunteer position. I gained communication, organisation, teamwork and leadership skills.
3rd Party based at the University
I work for a 3rd party based at the University and we only really deal with their IT department who are only interested in Stats and not in customer happiness.
productive
Focus on promoting University of Plymouth and encouraging participation in higher education to potential students. Assisting potential students in their choice of course and conveying information about all facilities at Plymouth University
Flexible and Social
The hours were incredible flexible and, as I got to know the other interns, I had someone to talk to as we waited for the public to arrive. On the job, I learnt how to make myself approachable and friendly to people who needed help or questions answered. On the busiest nights, it was often difficult to manage large quantities of people - especially if promotional material was required to be distributed on entry. But when the event was good, and the public were friendly and cooperative, and I had built a good community of friends within the department, it could be a great night.
Pros
Free entry to events
Cons
Often very slow start
Fun but Challenging
A fun but challenging work place. I worked as the student ambassador coordinator for the 3D design course within my third year of study at the university. It was great as the hours were guaranteed but were spread across the year so I never fell back on my university work. It was a good opportunity to learn new management skills and to promote the university itself.
pretty sucky
hard work at anti social hours, cleaning up after a night club event, poor pay and management was not great, disciplinary system did not work well, .