PlayStation Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
IT administrator (Former Employee) –  Oxford Circus, Greater London28 March 2019
Working at Sony was an enjoyable experience for me. The environment at Sony was relaxed and laid back. My colleagues were really helpful and friendly and were able to assist me with any queries or questions that I had during my time working there.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
Good people, poor work practices and difficult to advance.
Functional Tester (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside10 February 2019
A workplace that is generally only worth being a part of for the people you work with. Generally a lot of great people work here, but beyond that the company is mostly a negative experience.

Management beyond lower middle management will generally avoid interacting at all with the general staff. Almost like they don't wish to be sullied by the common folk!

Recently the company chose to offload all their contractors to a very poor and unprofessional company that has done nothing but cause problems and headaches for employees. Pay is all over the place and there are no employee rights to speak of. They employ poor management techniques and software that is not up to the task. Sony do not really care though, as they simply did not want to have to deal with contractors.

Additionally any idea of a career ladder or step-by-step advancement has disappeared. There is now a huge jump from the lowest rung to the next as the company has removed a lot of the mid-tier advancements that used to exist.

On top of this is zero job security as they can cut you at a weeks notice.

Generally only apply to work here if you wish to gain a bit of basic experience in QA and want to experience something of the gaming industry.
Pros
Free games
Cons
General atmosphere of disdain for contractors, zero job security, difficult advancement.
Fun work environment
WWS QA Functional Tester (Former Employee) –  Liverpool27 November 2018
Has nice hours from 8:30AM till 4PM. Job lets you learn and advance yourself, though this doesn't mean you rise up quickly in the company.

Work culture is fun and offers a lot of benefits though for rewards of hard work, there isn't much.
Excellent Oppunity
Third Party Relations - Production Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Soho, Greater London11 November 2018
Daily tasks would involve checking products arriving on the PlayStation store in the form publisher intended. Ensuring information, images, price and availability are in order.
Planning and monitoring all content within the week up till future releases for the next few months.

The department I worked in was very welcoming, we'd often find ways to handle tasks which would overlap with others to find the most suitable way to manage multiple duties.

The work environment was very professional but not in a way to feel so stuffy, most staff are down to earth and know how to have a laugh while at work. Share stories, and information whether it was work-related or not.

Most enjoyable part of my job would be the entire experience, sometimes getting to share, with my line manager, some of the most unorthodox game we got to manage.
Pros
Connection within the industry, interaction with game publishers and developers, events, game codes, canteen/bar within the HQ
Cons
Contractor may miss out on few benefits such as Japanese Lessons.
No progression
First Person Quality Assurance video game tester (Former Employee) –  Wavertree15 June 2018
There is no career progression past the basic tester level, those that do get past it are selected because they are friends of the bosses, or know someone higher up, if you do not know anyone like that, you will not progress, contracts are terminated before 2 years, they use a temp agency now with a record of having a high rate turn around, so do not expect to have long term employment.
Cons
No career, is more of a summer job for students
A great place to work, nice people willing to help
Trainer and Assessor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London1 May 2018
I found PlayStation in London GMS a nice place to work. Friendly people always willing to help. Their internal IT needs an upgrade but that's the only moan.

I recommend you work here if you're offered to.
Pros
Subsidised meals, great London location
Excellent company to work for
Energy Policy Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oxford Street, Greater London25 April 2018
Good social life and events, excellent people. Fun and relaxed atmosphere to work in and offices are state of the art. Career progression can be limited.
Pros
Events, socials and people
Cons
Career progression
It is ok
PlayStation, Edinburgh - Nightshift Communicator (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh31 January 2018
It pays the bills and is not to hard.

I would not recommend to a friend.

The only really good part is there are some really nice people you get to work with.
Awful place to work at entry-level
Tester (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside10 January 2018
If I could give no stars for "job security", that's what I'd give. The company employs new starters on a 3-month rolling contract, but can end it at any time and without regard to individual performance. You are not retained on merit, merely on how inexpensive it is to renew your contract in comparison to others, so hard work starts to feel as though it means nothing. This feeds an uncomfortable culture in the workplace, with people scrambling over each other to be recognised just to get that ultra-rare permanent contract. Management don't care about or speak to testers and the turnover rate for staff is high. If you can't do night shift for whatever reason, you get let go. No effort is made to swap you with someone who might be able to do it, you're just sacked. If you're unable to do copious amounts of overtime you're not considered a hard worker. A fine place to work if you enter at management level, on a permanent contract, as you're not just a number and will get some great opportunities. If this is the first games industry job you're applying for though, avoid like the plague. I was utterly miserable during the latter part of my time there.
Pros
You get to work on games and talk to devs, sometimes.
Cons
Low pay, no job security, horrible environment, lack of respect.
Fast paced, future facing organisation
European Product Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  London4 January 2018
Sony Interactive Entertainment is a fantastic company at the leading edge of consumer marketing. Given its primary audience are digitally native, tech-savvy segments, the marketing work done in PlayStation is extremely agile and future facing. I would recommend anyone to work there.
Good workplace, slow to get things done
Infrastructure Analyst (Former Employee) –  London7 January 2017
On the whole its a good place to work there isn't too much opportunity for progression and the pay could be better. There is a nice work/life balance.
hard work
Arcade Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chichester25 October 2016
it was very hard work for little prospects available, long hours and trying to please everyone when the machines didnt pay out. my co workers were really good to work with, we worked as a team.
Great Place
Product Tester (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 July 2015
It is energetic fun to mix my hobby with my work and it was really engaging to precipitate in testing games also it is mainly home based which means you can choose when to work.
Orwell's 1984
Localisation Tester (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, UK25 March 2014
I worked in Localisation QA for about 3 years, as Tester and Team Lead. In general lines I can tell that this is not a bad job, actually it can be very rewarding if you like this kind of job. Moreover Sony offers better working conditions than most companies in the industry. You will meet nice people and have some fun. So it looks like it may be a good job. But...

The problem is not the job itself, but the department management. Long story short, the line managers are uptight and narrow minded. They may be unfair as well, they can mix personal and professional issues and everybody cares just about covering their own back.

They never ask employees for feedback, they never listen to Testers, they don't like initiatives, they don't like criticism, they don't care. The rule is "don't think, just obey".

Team Leads look down on Testers. A Tester can be told off for any reason. They can make an official complain against you for pressing the exit door button too hard, or making a joke that someone consider unappropriated. They can take any criticism or something that you disagree with them as a sign of disrespect, and eventually face you with Human Resources for this.

Team Leads encourage Testers to tell on other Testers and to brag about their achievements at work (and some of them do it with pleasure). You never know who is going to stab you in the back (especially when people are fighting for a promotion).

In this department, the highest valued skill is to be a brown nose. It doesn't matter if someone have little experience, poor skills and average performance, these
  more... people still have a higher chance of having a good performance review and eventually a promotion, if they are good lap dogs, instead of people who are more skilled and experienced, but they dare to disagree with the management about something.

The internal affairs are not transparent but quite obscure and very often Testers or even Team Leads don't know what is going on in the department e.g. a Lead or a Supervisor disappears overnight without explanation, except for a brief official email confirming that the person is no longer with us. Later on I found out off the records that the person was "invited to leave" for unclear reasons, after many years of service without problems... And because all this lack of information, there are always gossips around and you never know what is true.

Many veteran Testers are frustrated, and many people defines the atmosphere in Localisation QA as "Orwell's 1984". So, in a nutshell, it is a job that could be quite good, but some people there are working hard to ensure they make your life miserable.
Pros
Nice and fun sometimes, challenging sometimes but in the good sense. Nice workmates.
Cons
Extremely uptight and narrow minded environment. Cold and unfair management.