Places for People Employee Reviews

Good place
Internal opertive (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes27 March 2019
I enjoy my job and the hours are good i have never had any problems. I travel around different sites in a work van and the day go's quickly. We have good holidays and the manager is always on hand if needed.
Pros
Holidays
Avoid at all cost
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire10 March 2019
Out to get you attitude by management, who seem to enjoy time consuming investigations. No realistic chance of promotion, people are promoted because of who they know and socialise with. I know of one manager who was promoted with no interview!

Trade supervisors who back stab each other constantly.
Restructures on a regular basis with whole teams losing there jobs!
They go through the motions of seeming to be a caring responsible employer, they even have the star awards with the same faces been nominated year after year! Slapping each over on the back, how well they have done!
AVOID.
The grass is greener, if you still work there leave!
Cons
Bad working environment
Decent enough employer but expected to work hard
Place mamager (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire5 February 2019
Terms and conditions are fair, we have received a cost of living increase when others haven’t. You are expected to work hard for your pay, but it can be rewarding. Management varies, some are laid back and just let you get on with it, some try to micromanage everything. The company is so bug that you can ring one department one day and the next the staff have changed.. the only problem is that there are lots of restructures and job roles change.

Staff teams can be really friendly and helpful and management do chip in with the refreshments on overnight conference meetings.

Reasonable opportunities to progress and good staff recognition scheme.

I’ve worked here over 5 years and still enjoy it
Pros
Good pay, pensions staff recognition job satisfaction
Cons
Some managers, lots Of restructures
there deceitful liars
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames, Surrey2 February 2019
Working here has got to have been the worst. Poor pay, poor conditions and full of discrimination.

I remember having laryngitis and told my Duty Manager I needed to go home to which they refused and my illness worsened. They have zero care for staff and only treated as numbers and not as people. I had done a number of DM's shifts and only being paid TL rate and doing more work than my DM. I feel TL's are undervalued and overworked while the DM's have it easy.

They promised to put you on courses which was all lies so they can trap you to working hard for them, courses are only reserved for their friends.

I was fooled to think I would progress as those opportunities are reserved only for managers "friends" and some roles are filled with people who are clearly not suited for the role. I was denied TWICE the role DM both at Hurst and Xcel due to not being "friends" with certain managers. This reached breaking point to the point that I walked out, never have I done this.

I feel that I have been discriminated so I will be getting the company done for their actions. I feel that the 4/5 star reviews are done by the higher ups so the company looks good.

Personally I feel giving this company even 1 star is far too generous.
Pros
Cons
The company is a con
worst company ive ever worked for
Gas Heating installation engineer (Former Employee) –  Bristol City Centre, Bristol27 January 2019
Awful company promised training which they didn't fulfil. person sent to train me was just backstabbing around questions I was asking to learn the role. and management were horrendous. Worse company I have ever come across. avoid like the plague
Pros
im free of them
Cons
awful management no health and safety policy, nastiest staff i have ever known
bad place to work for
Internal cleaner (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, UK12 December 2018
the management isn't correct and they would never listen to there caretakers and would never back us over different situations so i wouldnt recommend people to work for them in the future.
Pros
nothing
Cons
manager is a joke
It's who you know not what you can offer
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames, Surrey1 December 2018
I've worked here for a number of years and i can honestly say they have been the worst years of my life. Like in school you have your groups and clicks and if your not apart of them or say something against them they WILL make your life difficult. You will be bullied by the groups and clicks and stand against them you will be attacked like a pack of wolfs by many and will be made to be a liar at all costs. Its always one rule for them and four or five for you.

The way I was treated was absolutely disgusting, they looked down on me if i was the bottom of the pecking order despite working the hardest, the longest and being paid the lowest. I covered everything from complaints, set ups, take downs, abusive customers, first aid, cleaning, lane control and every bit of rubbish that gets dished out at us. It’s like managers can dish out jobs to us just for the fun of it. The turnover rate is incredibly high as people who work there for 3 months are just too tired and exhausted to continue.

The management do not care about there staff, you are treated like a bit of dirt on there shoe, if you disagree with them about care or report anything, they make your life unbearable.

Don't be fooled into thinking you have opportunities to progress in the company and other sites as those roles are reserved for managers "friends" and some roles are filled with people who are clearly not suited for the role

more... rather than people who have the right skills so there is no progression if you’re not in the click.

They promised so much but only delivered disappointment. Always being give more and more but not allowed any help. ( only get help if your one of the hand picked) they take and take and take and will give nothing back not even a thank you. They talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Your just a number to them you’re not even considered a human being as far as they are concerned. I remember having to LITERALLY CRAWL OUT OF WORK as i was just so exhausted after my shifts, I could never use their facilities not even for a simple swim/gym as I was just too tired after my shifts.

They say in there job adverts we treat everyone equally and fairly which is all a pack of lies.

My advise would be no matter how desperate you are for work avoid this company at all costs
Pros
Cons
The whole place is a con
horrid staff no support from management
project worker (Former Employee) –  Salford, Greater Manchester21 November 2018
If you want to work somewhere that your co-workers drive you out and you receive no support from the management then this is your place really toxic enviroment
Pros
weekends off
Cons
staff
dreadful, depressing and not worth it
Team Leader/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames, Surrey4 November 2018
I heard working here was bad and my goodness everyone was right.

Would never work for places for people again terrible workplace, very poor pay and terrible for Discrimination, no Data Protection Act, management were absolutely poor. No Health and Safety whatsoever, lied about all training courses they are only for managers friends. Full of lame excuses and useless reasons why they give you the jobs they do. They give you a pile of rubbish and expect gold as a result. I was more or less doing my managers job and his senior managers job as they were to stupid and lazy to do it themselves

Beware!!!! This place WILL make you ill if you
  more... work there, you will not receive any help. More to the point departments is run by people who will try and put all their friends in posts rather than people who have the right skills so there is no progression if you’re not in the click.

They promised so much but only delivered disappointment. Always being give more and more but not allowed any help. ( only get help if your one of the hand picked) they take and take and take and will give nothing back not even a thank you. They talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Your just a number to them you’re not even considered a human being as far as they are concerned. I could never use their facilities not even for a simple swim/gym as I was just too tired after my shifts.

There a big company with no respect for the people they employ I would strongly advise you to stay away from them.
Pros
Cons
got PTSD
Ex Employee - Administrator Bath
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Bath, Somerset19 October 2018
One day training then expected to go live in an industry of which I had no knowledge of. I was given procedure books to look at if I got stuck, yet was given so much work that I did not have the time to really look at them when needed. Team leader was controlling and disrespectful as well as certain long term employees within the team. After two weeks I had weekly reviews in which my team leader belittled my progress abilities, and my personality, when I thought I was improving, so therefore destroying my confidence to perform. Unfriendly office environment. Never in my entire working career of 20+ years have I been treated so unfairly. They are understaffed and the salaries are poor for the massive workload that we are expected to cope with.
I eventually resigned from my post.
Pros
Not much
Cons
No team spirit, unfriendly team, overloaded with work, training poor, IT network poor.
Avoid at all costs
Team Leader/Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Walton-on-Thames, Surrey3 October 2018
Very stressful place to work and should have a health warning on all jobs advertised. Two faced managers and lying of how good the company is a regular occurrence, promises of expansion and job opportunities but these are generally false promises for most. The department managers/directors should be ashamed of theirselves for the treatment of its staff.

The way they treat the lifeguards and Team Leaders is absolutely disgusting, they look down on us like were the bottom of the pecking order despite us working the hardest, the longest and being paid the lowest. We cover everything from complaints, abusive customers, first aid, cleaning, lane control and every bit of rubbish that gets dished out at us. It’s like managers can dish out jobs to us just for the fun of it. The turnover rate is incredibly high as people who work there for 3 months are just too tired and exhausted to continue.
it’s very clicky and the office lot often order pizza and coffee and don't allow any other departments to join in or bond.

They promise you training which is all lies so you can work hard for them, breach human/employments rights, managers treat you like dirt, under pay you constantly, lazy line managers where most of the staff do their jobs the minute you stand up to them they threaten you with the sack. During my time I was spoken to like an idiot and in a patronizing way never felt so worth less in my life.

Managers are self-obsessed with hitting unrealistic targets and the workers suffer, if you say something you are singled out and attacked like a pack of wolfs and you are and
  more... will be made out to be a liar at any costs.
Management bangs on about how the rules need to be stuck too, yet they are the ones who bend the rules to please people.
The help you receive is laughable at best and if it doesn't suit them then it simply doesn't happen

Don't be fooled into thinking you have opportunities to progress in the company, these are held for managers "friends" and some roles are filled with people who are clearly not suited for the role
Beware!!!! This place WILL make you ill if you work there, you will not receive any help. More to the point departments is run by people who will try and put all their friends in posts rather than people who have the right skills so there is no progression if you’re not in the click.

They promised so much but only delivered disappointment. Always being give more and more but not allowed any help. ( only get help if your one of the hand picked) they take and take and take and will give nothing back not even a thank you. They talk the talk but they cannot walk the walk. Your just a number to them you’re not even considered a human being as far as they are concerned. I could never use their facilities as I was just too tired after my shifts. I never write bad reviews but I feel that this is a must.

Many will think im lying but i can assure you im very serious.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, overworked, understaffed, no privileges, no respect, horrendous working conditions and no support
Fun yet stressful
Lifeguard (Current Employee) –  Sheffield20 September 2018
Colleagues usually get on very well but communication between management and other staff quite poor; changes to timetables and ill-informed staff leads to customers taking out anger and complaints on those who have no control over the matter.
Pros
Lenient breaks
Cons
Stressful
Good work life balance
Tenancy Enforcement Manager (Current Employee) –  South Yorkshire12 September 2018
The company is fair and provides a good work life balance, I have worked there for over 3 years and have enjoyed my time here. The offices are nice...
Great Emploter
Care Assistant for the Elderly (Former Employee) –  North Shields19 August 2018
Loved my time working for places for people fantastic 4 yrs had.Excellent training given Nvq levels to give you the best oppurtunity to climb the ladder.
Terrible work environment but good colleagues. However unable to further my career there.
Lifeguard/Leisure Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haslemere13 August 2018
Did not enjoy working there, very poor work experience. The manager was very rude and disrespectful in the way she spoke to her colleagues and never actually listened to the lifeguards who were trying to give suggestions on how the job could be improved.
Pros
Worked with a good team
Cons
The manager was very rude to her staff and treated them with no respect.
More insight into gymnastics from management and would be perfect
Head coach, Gymnastics coach (Former Employee) –  Rotherham13 August 2018
More insight into gymnastics from management and would be perfect. Management tried to change the way gymnastics was run without any knowledge in how children progress within the sport. Due to management (the lady on maternity leave was awesome but cover let it down) knowing little about the sport, safe gymnastics coaching and lesson structure meant that staff holding a qualification but zero capabilities were hired. This made my role extremely hard as I could not train the unknowledged staff quick enough for the quality of the lessons. this made unsafe coaching, and lots of injuries that could of been prevented. a shadowing of 4-6 weeks would have been a better option.
free gym, discounted cafe
Pros
free gym, discounted cafe, funded courses
Cons
unknowledge management
Not as good as it used to be
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey2 August 2018
Used to be a company that people would want to work for but over the last year, more and more are leaving and it’s always the good ones.
Seems that they are now more about the money than the people.
Work/life balance is shocking with more and more hours expected to be worked unpaid rather than employ more staff
Pros
Flexible working
Bar Staff
Bar Staff (Current Employee) –  West Sussex8 June 2018
Really friendly management team, easy to integrate with all of the team. Good communication and attitude. Plenty of notice for shifts and easy to work around my schedule
Pros
Lovely management team
Cons
Paid monthly
disharmony
senior operative (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire28 May 2018
places for people used to be a fun, productive place to work with clear direction, competent management staff and leadership, i found my experience fulfilling until recently as progression has stopped, training has stopped and leadership has stopped, severly disappionted, currently looking and applying for other jobs for first time in over 10 years.
Pros
staff
Cons
management, no leadership, tools and machinery.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Lifeguard - Casual (Current Employee) –  Rotherham16 May 2018
As a casual part time jobs for 16-18 year olds go, there isn't anything as easy and rewarding as being a lifeguard. The people who I work with are the main advantage as there is a real friendship between everyone on site and is a really good place to work.
Pros
good pay, good workmates, free gym and swim
Cons
Non regular hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Places for People. Our community is ready to answer.