Places for People

Places for People Employee Reviews

United Kingdom113 reviews
Enjoying my time here ...
Great staff benefits

Tools, van and fuel provided

Plan and manage your own workload

With minimum supervision

Great set of lads within team
Management is a joke no communication between eachother and to the workers on the ground. Being a lifeguard is good for 16 - 18 years old while at college or uni however the pay isn't that much.
Pros
Free gym, swim, sauna and steam
Cons
No free time, expected to work unsociable hours and lift stuff way to heavy.
This company is a really good company to work for. There are training courses available, the management is good, everything is done to require yours and others safety.
The managers get a bonus if you reach targets. You don’t get a bonus.
The managers are on your back to reach the targets so they get their bonus.

They’ll hound you.

There was little or no support to empty the van once it was full of replaced storage heaters.

Avoid this place.
It was about six weeks from the initial phone call to the actual job offer having interviewed three times with different people (due to sudden changes in their management - this should have been my first red flag!) I was supposed to have 2 weeks training, my 1st weeks training (offsite) was good - my on site training basically didn't happen, I was just left to my own devices (red flag no 2?!). In a typical day I spent most of my time dealing with complaints. It was quite a b****y place to work as most people were either quite young and didn't know any better, or old enough to know better - there was the odd good egg though! I definitely felt that the senior management do not care for any of their staff, they are stretched between centres and never try to help you, although I think they are put under a lot of pressure. I generally felt the whole place was quite 'underhand'. I think it would be fine if you were going in as a receptionist/lifeguard but I would avoid any kind of managerial role at all costs. I really liked the free gym membership though! (who wouldn't?)
I understand that most of the other clubs are reasonable places to work, but telford is just awful, management will treat you appallingly, its the worse job ive ever had :( thought it was going to be amazing, great challenge to help turn around a failing gym, but the reality was many hours unpaid and being made to feel worthless, unless you are friends with the manager don't put yourself through it
Please avoid if your face don’t fit you will be a scapegoat.
No training given apart from minimum monthly nplq training

Not bothered about you

You are just a number

Managers are all in a click and don’t care, all about how the centre looks and not about how it’s run.
You do not want to work here they expect you to tow a trailer, have responsibility for a van, spray chemicals and have a chainsaw licence whilst the colleague sat next to you doesn’t have none of these qualifications and gets paid more than you do. The pay is so poor you can’t even afford to pay into a pension not that they contribute a lot anyway, the benefits are terrible compared to other staff members. Management don’t care about no one but theirselves they put you on useless training courses that won’t benefit you in anyway avoid this company at all cost!
Its a change in the dry every day and organized work load working with people who know what ther doing.could do with a canteen serving hot food. But otherwise relaxing.
great to work for. Management, uniform and workplace is great. Do not skimp on anything. Flexible hours and working environment for all from contract to non
Please avoid if your face don’t fit you will be a scapegoat.
No training given

Not bothered about you

You are just a number

Managers are all in a click
Extremely poor management.
More of a clique going on so if you are in that then you will be ok.

Expected as a single roofer to cover the whole of West Yorkshire and beyond.

Unrealistic workloads and timescales.

Previous workmanship shoddy at best multiple return call outs to jobs done poorly in the past both by employees and sub contractors.
Places for people provide amazing facilities to their customers and employees. Great people to work with and no 2 days are the same. I highly recommend places
If you snitch on fellow workers for no reason at all to try and make yourself look good and get into the fashionable trendy gang (of so they think they are but they look like tw*ts) then this is for you. Remember guys what goes around comes around.
Enjoyable environment to work at. Staff are friendly and provide a family like feel for all staff
Very flexible in hours and shifts

Free parking and good lunch breaks
I find this company very welcoming, when I first started in the company everyone was friendly, asking me if I needed any help, don't hesitate to speak to management if your not sure on things, or have a concern. You get to know all the staff members inside and outside the workplace as there are also social events around the year. There is always an opportunity if available to branch to another area of the company if you so wish, or to pick up more hours. There is a café, available to customers and staff, so whenever a coffee break is need that option is there, which is one of the benefits I enjoy. Whilst working there you will receive training as well that will help better your skills for your job, learning activities on the internet and new ways that the company try to help you through your work, these get discussed in meeting or can be brought to the managers attention. I would say the only downside to working at a leisure centre would be the pay, as a receptionist I have to deal with all the customers, their complaints, bad behaviour, any concerns; as well as the good as well. I'm sure many people as they are underpaid, but a little pay rise doesn't go unnoticed.
Pros
Staff Discount and Free Gym Membership
Cons
Long Hours
Very nice company to work for . Very encouraging and passionate about their companies values and culture . A good stepping stone to gain valuable experience
Decent place to work with good benefits and lots of good people. Work is hard and stressful at times but the day flies by day. Regular cutbacks in personnel results in teams getting squeezed to the point where there are not enough people to do the job properly. Company directors are so far detached from day to day operations that they are happy to pretend everything is going swimmingly rather than have to acknowledge that there is a problem which appears to be strictly taboo within the organisation. People who rock the boat are quickly restructured out or find their positions untenable. Senior management is a bit like game of thrones with bullying and backstabbing common place amongst those ruthless enough to try and get tot the top. SPIRIT values are a bit of a joke and not followed by anyone other than amongst colleagues at the bottom of the pile. Lots of good people. Shocking repairs department
This company can not keep there staff very stressful not enough training lack off support thought out many violent incidents attack on staff and its always played down not enough incident reports written out
I was on landscapes in Nottingham and it was the worst job I've done, most people their are either related or best friends which means they do from little to zero work, they do as they wish with the work vans and tools even doing jobs for cash whilst In work hours! The rest (me and a few others) were expected to do the rest hence people walk after not a long time.
You need to push management to make decisions. You need to keep on to equip your job to do what you can. I enjoy the residential chit chat. You need to know if your keeping them happy. They're customers, so look after them n they look after you. Communication with management could be much better. Find it a good place to work but you need to make it what you want.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Places for People. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8