PLACE2BE Employee Reviews

Primary is a great age group to work with
Volunteer counsellor (Former Employee) –  Wales24 April 2019
I loved working with primary aged children and had a really lovely supervisor.

I found the interview process intrusive. Very personal questions were asked without providing a clear explanation on the reasoning for this. There was a lack of acknowledgent about the power difference between a paid staff member interviewing and a trainee counsellor seeking a placement.

Place2be as an organisation is accredited by BACP but you have clinical supervision with your line manager which isn't in keeping with BACP ethical guidelines as it is a conflict. It is best practice for line management and supervision to be separate.

It is also good practice when running a counselling service in a school to keep a sense of separateness and maintain boundaries. The Place2be setup can embed itself into the school. The problem is that this makes it more difficult for instance if the spm needs to challenge a school around their handling of safeguarding or bullying for example.

It concerns me how reliant Place2be is on trainee counsellors to provide frontline services. It limits the opportunities for counsellors, art therapists and play therapists to have paid work working with primary aged children. Most of the paid roles are spms where you don't do clinical work though lots of spms would like to.
Pros
Children and supervisor
Cons
Not paid, school staff could be patronising
A great place to work
P/T Volunteer Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Enfield12 February 2019
The company provides an invaluable service to children and young people and educational teams throughout London and beyond.

Supportive team working environment with lots of opportunity to train and develop new skills.
meaningful work and good management
Voluntary Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Streatham, Greater London5 February 2019
Place2Be is an amazing organisation that focuses on and promotes the importance of mental health in children. I enjoy working with children and feel that my work in the organisation is beneficial to, not only my own development, but also the development of the children I work with.
Fun and ever changing environmenrt
School Project manager (Former Employee) –  London6 November 2018
A fantastic organisation. But funding is always an issue and worry.
I enjoyed working in a fast paced ever changing enviroment. Met some amazing people and its a privlege to work so closely with families
Pros
Enjoyment
Cons
lack of job security
Excellent volunteering role
Child counsellor (Former Employee) –  Peterlee15 October 2018
I would have my own little people to council. My supervisor would have them already organised to be collected from their class room at certain times.

The rooms were set out al the same so no child was any different to the next.

I always had support when I needed it, and regular supervision at the end of each day to talk about the sessions.

I was challenged on areas that I did not recognise myself so help with my self-development.

Place2Be has a very positive outlook on supporting children and it shows through the staff work ethics. The schools welcome PLace2 Be and it is a good positive environment to work in.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes you may have to travel and no fuel is paid. I travelled 34 mile a day.

The most enjoyable part is that it is very rewarding to see children benefit from a service you are providing.
Pros
Regular supervision
Cons
No paid mileage for voluteers
volunteer at an amazing chairty and sevice
Volunteer childrens and young persons consellor (Former Employee) –  Manchester23 September 2018
Enjoyed my time here, the work team was great and I was made to feel welcomed from the beginning. I learnt a huge amount for my time here. I would encourage anyone.
Poor salary poor benefits
Assistant School Project Manager (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2018
Other than the intrinsic joy you feel helping young people, the management are in crisis at this organisation and are unsupportive to the development and ongoing training of staff. They are quick to employ great candidates but do not support their needs and mental health. Holiday allowance rules are harsh also.
Pros
Free training, and decent for a clinical placement
Cons
Management expectations too high for what they pay
Brilliant training and support
Voulenteer (Current Employee) –  North East18 February 2018
An amazing place to learn about children’s mental health. Brilliant trainers full of support and confidence boosting.
A real eye opener into how helping children in schools can become a great way of giving them the tools to deal with events In later life.
development
Volunteer Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire13 February 2018
I was looking for a placement to develop my skills to enable me to gain confidence in my new found career path.
volunteers are well looked after. the structure works well. having supervision within the agency also is a great help.
its a shame we don't see many other counsellors at the service.
access to training and ongoing development is great.
Cons
no pay
Redundancy likely
School project manager (Former Employee) –  London23 January 2018
The company made me redundant twice. Not very good management . I loved the job but was not treated respectfully .

Not enough supervision of quality leading to stress.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Not rewarded with advancement. Always having redundancy.
limited development opportunities
Psychodynamic Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Croydon12 December 2017
counsellors are not really given the opportunity to expand on their expertise and build rapport with schools since SPMs dont give them much space to do so.
nurturing environment
Volunteer Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Haslingden4 August 2017
loved how integrated the service to the school is here. all teachers, pupils and parents onboard with what Place2Be has to offer.
felt part of a team.
Very well structured and supported work environment
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  London4 January 2017
Place2Be have a good interest in the wellbeing of their staff. The training is excellent and the staff are made to feel very well supported. Achievements are recognised. Access to further training and studying. Growing company. Very effective work.
Pros
School holidays off
amazing place to work
Volunteer counsellor (Current Employee) –  london29 August 2015
Working in a school environment it's fun and challenging.
Being part of Place2be is more than just being part of an organization it's about making a change in kids life.
Inspirational work
School counsellor (Current Employee) –  Lonfon24 August 2015
Working one-to-one with children therapeutically. Weekly supervision is required. Working systemically. Children are seen for one therapeutic hour. The counselors are volunteers.
Pros
supervision and experience in schools
Cons
no paid positions for this role within this company
A humbling experience
Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, ENG20 July 2015
I was extremely fortunate to work within this frame with young pupils and their experiences. P2B also provided excellent in-house additional training.
Pros
Rich learning experience
Cons
funding depandant service
great confidence booster
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  edinburgh2 June 2015
every week i would go to a local primary school to talk and communicate with the pupils. it is so rewarding after a long period of time as they start to trust you and become your friend. I had to manage a group of children and organise games for them.the hardest part of the job was leaving as my particular pupil had grown attached to me and it was hard seeing how upset he was. I learned at how great communication can be and how a simple action can raise peoples hopes.
Intense and fulfilling
Volunteer Play Therapist (Current Employee) –  Durham, ENG15 August 2013
I would generally see three children per day and only work one day per week so the work load is not excessive. I am well supported by my school project manager and supervisor, and the school environment is friendly and supportive.
I find, as with all counselling sessions, some are more difficult than others. However, I always learn an incredible amount about myself through reflection and exploration of issues during supervision. Therefore the hardest and most enjoyable part of this job are one and the same.
Pros
Seeing the benefits therapeutic work can have
Cons
Travel distance