PLACE2BE

PLACE2BE Employee Reviews

United Kingdom27 reviews
Love the nature of the job. The school am based at are very supportive (how supportive the schools will depend on where you are based). You get to work with amazing counsellors, teachers,children, Training is often available, however location of training often is an issue as majority is based in London, although this is being changed.
Trainee counsellor:

Young people and children.

Required as hours accrued in conjunction with counselling degree.

Managed and clinical supervision overlapped. Secondary school environment is hectic and often stressful.
Collaborative and supportive workplace. Good management structure. Dedicated and highly experienced safeguarding team in place.
Career progression opportunities.
Pros
High quality in house training
• Worked with children and young people in a safe therapeutic setting. Spent one day per week in a primary school
• Received on-site, same-day supervision from a clinically qualified School Project Manager

• Received developmental training and access to free clinical workshops (on a range of topics, from attachment theory to therapeutic endings)

• Used an 'integrative’ approach to support the development of each pupil, such as person-centered, psychoanalytic, systematic, cognitive behavioral, and solution focused.
Pros
supervision
Cons
not paid
supervision is free and weekly though paired making it interesting and worthwhile the wait till the end of the day. however it can be frustrating when the children miss sessions
Another counselling organisation which lies to heavily on voluntary workers. The front line counsellors should have the option to opt for paid or if they wish, voluntary work. This is now the opinion of the BACP, especially when full qualified counsellors are involved.
It’s an amazing company to work for. Lots of support from the supervisor. I am going to do more volunteering work for them. The only thing that could be better is for them to provide travelling experiences for their volunteers. Also to give opportunities for future jobs within the schools.
I loved working with primary aged children and had a really lovely supervisor.

I found the interview process intrusive. Very personal questions were asked without providing a clear explanation on the reasoning for this. There was a lack of acknowledgent about the power difference between a paid staff member interviewing and a trainee counsellor seeking a placement.

Place2be as an organisation is accredited by BACP but you have clinical supervision with your line manager which isn't in keeping with BACP ethical guidelines as it is a conflict. It is best practice for line management and supervision to be separate.

It is also good practice when running a counselling service in a school to keep a sense of separateness and maintain boundaries. The Place2be setup can embed itself into the school. The problem is that this makes it more difficult for instance if the spm needs to challenge a school around their handling of safeguarding or bullying for example.

It concerns me how reliant Place2be is on trainee counsellors to provide frontline services. It limits the opportunities for counsellors, art therapists and play therapists to have paid work working with primary aged children. Most of the paid roles are spms where you don't do clinical work though lots of spms would like to.
Pros
Children and supervisor
Cons
Not paid, school staff could be patronising
It was a great opportunity for me to be able to gain some experience with Place2be. It is very well organised and the Supervisors were all really helpful and coaching me.
The company provides an invaluable service to children and young people and educational teams throughout London and beyond.

Supportive team working environment with lots of opportunity to train and develop new skills.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at PLACE2BE?
Place2Be is an amazing organisation that focuses on and promotes the importance of mental health in children. I enjoy working with children and feel that my work in the organisation is beneficial to, not only my own development, but also the development of the children I work with.
A fantastic organisation. But funding is always an issue and worry.
I enjoyed working in a fast paced ever changing enviroment. Met some amazing people and its a privlege to work so closely with families
Pros
Enjoyment
Cons
lack of job security
I would have my own little people to council. My supervisor would have them already organised to be collected from their class room at certain times.

The rooms were set out al the same so no child was any different to the next.

I always had support when I needed it, and regular supervision at the end of each day to talk about the sessions.

I was challenged on areas that I did not recognise myself so help with my self-development.

Place2Be has a very positive outlook on supporting children and it shows through the staff work ethics. The schools welcome PLace2 Be and it is a good positive environment to work in.

The hardest part of the job is sometimes you may have to travel and no fuel is paid. I travelled 34 mile a day.

The most enjoyable part is that it is very rewarding to see children benefit from a service you are providing.
Pros
Regular supervision
Cons
No paid mileage for voluteers
Enjoyed my time here, the work team was great and I was made to feel welcomed from the beginning. I learnt a huge amount for my time here. I would encourage anyone.
Other than the intrinsic joy you feel helping young people, the management are in crisis at this organisation and are unsupportive to the development and ongoing training of staff. They are quick to employ great candidates but do not support their needs and mental health. Holiday allowance rules are harsh also.
Pros
Free training, and decent for a clinical placement
Cons
Management expectations too high for what they pay
An amazing place to learn about children’s mental health. Brilliant trainers full of support and confidence boosting.
A real eye opener into how helping children in schools can become a great way of giving them the tools to deal with events In later life.
I was looking for a placement to develop my skills to enable me to gain confidence in my new found career path.
volunteers are well looked after. the structure works well. having supervision within the agency also is a great help.

its a shame we don't see many other counsellors at the service.

access to training and ongoing development is great.
Cons
no pay
The company made me redundant twice. Not very good management . I loved the job but was not treated respectfully .

Not enough supervision of quality leading to stress.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Not rewarded with advancement. Always having redundancy.
counsellors are not really given the opportunity to expand on their expertise and build rapport with schools since SPMs dont give them much space to do so.
loved how integrated the service to the school is here. all teachers, pupils and parents onboard with what Place2Be has to offer.
felt part of a team.
Place2Be have a good interest in the wellbeing of their staff. The training is excellent and the staff are made to feel very well supported. Achievements are recognised. Access to further training and studying. Growing company. Very effective work.
Pros
School holidays off