Pizza Express Employee Reviews

horrible place and humiliating
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex15 May 2017
Typical waitressing work , but don't get many breaks , sometimes dont even get one in a double shift... horrible management treat you like nothing... i feel threatened and harrassed in this company. horrible place to work ,hopefully will soon leave... no social life either.. horrible long hours .
Pros
free meals.
Cons
long hours. horrible management
Terrible if you have a disablitiy
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  The white house basingstoke13 May 2017
They Hired me knowing I had a disability, and they kept pressuring me to work at everyone Else's speed which was impossible for me , they made me carry heavy objects which damaged my legs futher and I had no breaks I had to ask for a five minute break so I could sort out my condition and I got yelled at alot the management staff would complain about me saying I was to slow I was not doing my work correctly, when in fact I was following on what the privous cleaner had shown me, they add on more work that you where not told to do in the first place and they don't care if you are having trouble I fell down twice during my late night shift and no one battered an eyelid, yeah you get free food sometimes I went home late at night and straight to bed I was so tired and sore that I was unable to cook when I got home around midnight so sometimes I spent two days with out eating anything so I could work around them.

Also no breaks don't expect to take a breather if you are having trouble, unless you smoke you don't get a priority and they don't follow there health and safety rules either I don't recommend this line of work for all the pizza in the world

I would not be surprised if the 5 star rating's are the staff management pretending to be workers.
Pros
you are allowed to go home
Cons
everything else
Diverse and fun place to work
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire11 May 2017
Taking orders and making sure the customer is always happy is the main aim, along with preparing desserts and drinks plus taking food.
It's hard work and requires a lot of awareness, especially when busy.
I've learned how to tell the difference between customers so I know who likes to chat and those who prefer to keep to themselves.
The management are helpful and easy to get along with, always ready to give advice if needed.
The staff are fun and lovely to work with, they all have different backgrounds and interests which makes it interesting to work with them.
Pros
Free pizza and flexible
Fun place to work
Full time Pizaolo (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands11 May 2017
I really enjoyed working with the people, they were really fun and shared the same passion as me.. Food!

It was very long and hardworking hours, as the restaurant was usually busy throughout the day.
Pros
Free Staff Food
Cons
Tough work
Productive and Nice workplace
Piazzolo (Former Employee) –  Chertsey, Surrey6 May 2017
Pizza Express was a very productive workplace and was fun to work at. It was full of amazing colleagues. The workplace was run well and always got better. There was a few issues in terms of the security of the place due to no cameras and people walking without paying. Also sometimes could be dangerous with kids running around the restaurant and hot food being carried. It was rarely picked up by colleagues which meant this issue continued to keep happening within the restaurant which caused a few incidents. But on that note as a overall it was a nice place to work.
Pros
Free Lunch for working a 5 hour shift, Free dinner if working in evening and free lunch and dinner if doing a double shift
Cons
Having to relocte on a short notice basis.
nice place to work lovely team members
Dessert and Coffee Maker (Former Employee) –  London1 May 2017
working at pizza express my typical day was restocking my work area, making sure my area was clean at all times and doing customers coffees and desserts.

I learnt how to keep up in a first pace restaurant.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
salary
Rewarding job and exciting workplace
Pizzaiolo (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple, Devon24 April 2017
Can be quiet at times but when it's the busy the place can be buzzing. A great feeling working hard and having happy customers. Not the easiest job at times as can be very busy, but very rewarding.
Pros
Free meal
love the company values
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham18 April 2017
Absolutely love the company values. The benefits are generous the hours are very family friendly.
No two days are the same as it is the catering industry after all. The atmosphere at work is what you make it, so yes, we have a lot of fun and our mood reflect on the guest experience. A laugh per table is my motto. ;)
The conference party that is held once a year is mind blowing!

The one and only downside is the salary. As I was based 30 miles away from home, the expenses on petrol and parking were not covered, so could no longer afford to work there.

Should the salary be in line with other companies, I would probably spend my entire career there.
Pros
free meal, generous discount, great values
Cons
salary
overall not so bad
Pizzaiolo (Former Employee) –  Gateshead17 April 2017
Nice Envioroment, nobody stress you out too much if you do your job. The problem is the poor amount of hours you can get. The managers send you home very easly if is not busy enough.
Pros
free food, nice enviroment
Cons
difficult find a good hours amount, repetitively.
Busy please,not enough staff
Senior pizzario (Former Employee) –  Southwark Station15 April 2017
On paper everything is ok,but
Very bad management.
Keep money from chefs working hours and no enough staff in the busy kitchen,so chefs change very often.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Bad Woking hours
Good
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Street, Somerset12 April 2017
Good pay and hours,however management isn't very good. Hourly can improve as you can work your way up from chef to senior chef to head chef. good team work.
Not competitive with wages
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex10 April 2017
Great company just not competitive enough with wages,
Free food on shift and discount card always a bonus
Free reign to run restaurant to your way but still following company policy's and standard
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not competitive wage! Long hours not a good family life balance
Fast paced and fun
Festival staff (Coffee and Dessert Waitress.) (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 April 2017
You work as part of a large team at pizza express. Depending on your job role you will specialise in delivering a particular product to the customer. It's a rewarding place to work.
Pros
Great tips and free meals
Cons
tiring
Flexible
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade, Bedfordshire5 April 2017
Great place to work for flexible hours but the pouch system is a real let down because waiters/waitress lose money.

All waiters and waitress are required to have their own float made up of their own money.

They do not get reimbursed for any money lost from giving it out as change.

On the other hand this does not effect your pay slip and you will make back the money lost through tips if you make enough.

Overall, the general atmosphere is good, happy and has friendly staff and management.
Pros
Free pizza and staff discounts
Cons
Pouch system
Very good
Chef (Current Employee) –  Newquay, Cornwall5 April 2017
exellent staff , exellent hours i have learened very fast , there is not hard part about it it is very easy going, everyone is so frienly and the food is great
Pros
free pizza
Cons
no cons
Good place to work.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Poole, Dorset29 March 2017
Good environment with a positive team, easy to learn. The management is very welcoming and they were quick to train me to the expectations of the company.
Unpleasent and rude
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London29 March 2017
Was excited to learn and enhance my waitressing skills but I found all the staff here very unpleasant to work with. Everyone was out for themselves and no one wanted to work as a team. Management were poor at training and I didn't enjoy my time here at all.
Good company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands17 March 2017
I started working for PizzaExpress 10 years ago as a waitress then Supervisor . Two years ago I become a Assistant manager in my usual day I need to place the orders, create rotas check the budgets and targets prepare restaurant fir bookings and events. I love working with passionate people, having fun at work wowing customers , making there experience special. Motivating my team is my priority.
Pros
Good learning point
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple16 March 2017
Everyone treats you as an equal, not like a robot.... because we aren't, no matter who you are, you will always have a family with Pizza Express.
opportunities are endless, everyone is helpful and friendly, there is never a dull moment (with what I call my second home/family)....
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
I love work in pizza express everyone its so fun. Love my managers could have better people to work with it love the busy time
Waitredd (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London13 March 2017
Pizza express its the best restaurant first of many things really good tips money good people good managers good work i dont have any complains i have so much fun when im working
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Sometimes its so busy we cant eat or rest

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.