Pizza Express Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire14 June 2018
Hard work but enjoyable, just time for me to think about moving on to try and have a better work/life balance.
Very good company that like to develop from within.
A good learning experience
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Truro16 January 2019
Working at Pizza Express taught me the skills I needed to start working in the service industry, including working as part of a team and knowing how to support my colleagues.
Fun work environment full of friendly people
Pot wash/trainee chef (Former Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire25 September 2018
Started working there when I went back to college to retrain, met my life long friends there and the company gave me all ge hours where they could accomadate me, had late nights but it was a great job
Pros
Staff food
Cons
Late nights
Hard work, fast paced, but fun rewarding work.
Waiter/MOD (Current Employee) –  Leicester2 June 2018
Looking after multiple guests, fast paced and often challenging. Colleagues are great and offers an enjoyable work environment. The salary is poor for the work required but the tips help to make it worth it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
physically tireing
good
Waiter (Former Employee) –  London15 November 2018
good first job. good tips if youre nice to people why is this field mandatory to make us waste time,nothing relevant to say actually. thanks for the time wasted
Great company
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bedford8 November 2018
I strongly recommend PE, one of the best companies in the UK. I really miss them everyday. Best choice in casual dinning.
Great support from managers. You can feel part of the family all the time
Vibrant place to work
Waiter and Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Cardiff26 October 2018
Busy restaurants, if you're not a hard worker this is not the place for you. Met some wonderful people at PE who helped me develop my skills. Working at PE you'll also learn the importance of working in a multi-cultural society.
Long hours, poor management
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Cambridge13 February 2018
Understaffed so shifts are tiring and unpredictable. The management is poor, managers don't communicate with each other so there are constantly problems with the Rota. The wage for anyone under 25 is extremely low.
Cons
Long hours, poor management. Stressful
Fun workplace
Runner (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 December 2018
Runner- including greeting customers, delivering food and organising seating plans for reservations. Would report directly to the manager if there were any problems
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Far from home
Ambiente lavorativo stimolante
Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff29 October 2018
Ogni giorno c'era sempre qualcosa di nuovo da imparare e fare fare .
Ho imparato tantissimo questa azienda , e la parte più piacevole era vedere il personale lavorare in gruppo e soddisfare il bisogno dei clienti.
fun place to work
Chef Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester14 January 2019
as a chef at pizza express for 22 years been great but looking for a new challenge and a different role but still in cooking as this is what i am good at
Pros
free lunches
Cons
travelling
A good place to work.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 August 2018
A good place to work, tips are great however hours are uncertain. Can have full time hours one week then dropped down to 4 hours the next week. Free food is good.
Pros
tips, free food
Cons
working most weekends, no guaranteed hours
Good progression and rewarding if customer service is your forte
Waitress/Manger on Duty (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester6 November 2017
The job is customer service orientated. There are chances for progression if you work hard and a chance for extra income. When progressing to management, there is a lot to learn and very good experience. It improves your ability to be confident and improve skills with service. It is a physically tiring job and the hours can be unsociable but the customers make it all worthwhile.
Pros
Free meals, chances to win prizes with incentives, extra income
Cons
Unsociable hours
Potentially a good company...
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames, Surrey24 May 2017
Pizza Express could be a fantastic company to work for. Chance to meet and work with some great people in what should be a fun and relaxed environment, sadly this is not the case.
Training is rubbish and too short, the management are nice people but the hours are ridiculous. They have no problem with scheduling staff 12+ hour shifts and usually with disregard of working time regulations. The culture of the company and its values are not lived and not lived by the employees.
Benefits are non-existent after the usual expected employee discount, the bonus scheme for managers has completely changed and been scaled back. The company seems incompetently and ineptly run.
To top it off your waiters will usually always earn more than you simply because they are allowed tips and management aren't.
Pros
Free meal on shift, discount card
Cons
Hours, double shifts, lack of regard for entitled rest periods, pay low for what you do.
Productive place
Waitress (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 February 2018
It is a great place to work at but the salary is low. The colleagues are nice and chatty most of them but the management of the place is a bit under what is should be.
Pros
free lunch
Good working atmosphere not enough hours
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge, West Midlands3 June 2018
I enjoyed the atmosphere, and my work colleagues. However they were unable to provide enough hours or career advancement which meant I had to leave and look for other work.
A good role to develop skills.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Great Portland Street Station8 May 2018
Pizza express is a good place to get trained and build a strong skill set for managerial position. Your manager is always there to delegate jobs advise you for the support of the business.
Pros
Free meal on shift
Cons
Long hours with no balanced life
Terrible place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, Cornwall20 February 2018
Don't work here, problems with management, poor work life balance, just a bad company in general! Long hours, not appreciated, staff food not nice, never get bonus
Cons
Not amazing, but the tips make it worth it.
Waitress/ Pot wash (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire1 August 2018
Working here was a good experience but I was not happy with the training and the management at all. I got kept as a waitress for basically the whole time I was working over summer and then as soon as management changed over to someone much nicer, they immediately make me a full paid waitress - the only frustrating thing was I was back at Uni the week later, so I was only getting full pay and tips for a week, the rest of the time I wasn't allowed tips and was paid minimum. At pizza express you are required to do almost everything other than putting the food in the oven, this can be challenging and very stressful as you have to run your section, take orders, prepare drinks, desserts and run food, and in my case also do the pot wash. I think as I was getting the minimum pay I should not have been expected to do all of those tasks nor should anybody. I'm not too sure whether it was just this branch that had the waiters/ waitresses doing absolutely everything but it isn't good. They should allocate people certain job roles. I gained a fair bit of experience from this job and the other staff members were kind but I also felt out of place when I arrived because everyone knew each other and they were not very welcoming at first. I would work here again as long as I was put as a fully trained waitress because the training was appalling and pay was rubbish. The most enjoyable part was being able to have some great conversations with customers and engaging with them, and gaining a big tip by the end of it for being so genuine, that is what kept me going.
Pros
free pizza, 50% off food, Keep your own tips.
Cons
Free pizza became too much and no options for healthy eaters, sometimes sent home after 10 minutes, breaks could be 2 hours long unpaid.
fun place
Pizza's chef (Former Employee) –  Worthing12 February 2018
pizza express is a big company in UK, however you get in touch with different culture and you learn many aspect of food. Fresh and nice food to enjoy.
Pros
free food
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.