Pizza Express Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Food Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 July 2018
Excellent place to work
Nice People
Nice environment
Free Pizza
Hard work
Perfect place if you like hospitality
Nice colleges
Positive experience
Great company, poor culture
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire26 July 2018
Structurally speaking, Pizza Express is a great company to work for - Good training and development and nice environment to work in.

However, staff culture can be very 'cliquey', and if you're not comfortable with being a 'Brown Nose', you might not fit in...

Managers (especially junior ones) can get off on a power trip if you speak up, and if you have something to say, just keep it nice and pleasing if you want to keep your job.

Another downside is lots of gossiping and bad mouthing, and seniors will try to hush you, if you over hear their regular ranting about other staff.

Free lunch is one of the big pluses here, and lots of snacking on down time, plus you receive a percentage of the gratuity tips.
Pros
Free lunch, percentage of tips distributed
Cons
Can get stressful, lots of 'Brown Nosing' required, staff can be lazy at times
Productive and fun envirement
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
The time spent in Pizza Express is was very benefiting. During all shift you have responsibilities to look after except the main one - to serve guests. Great teamwork and management
Pros
Free meals, flexible hours
Cons
mainly pizza alowed for employee meal
Enjoyable
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare14 July 2018
I enjoy my job at Pizza Express but the salary could be better and I hardly get any shifts which is inconvenient during summer when I have lots of free time.
Pros
Free staff meal every 4 hours, 50% staff discount
Cons
Low salary, minimal shifts
Would rather visit the jobcenter
Pizza chef. (Former Employee) –  Winchester11 July 2018
The staff are great but management really don't care about you, even try to fire you for made up rubbish.

Wages are lowest around and they demand you do extra shifts and sometimes don't pay you for it.

Had managers trying to chat up staff and when one was found out doing this AND a self confessed child abuser and pedo they move them to other stores and protect them.

If you want a social life DO NOT work here..

No annual pay rise and if you are sick for any reason they will give discaplinary when you come back.

Health and safety is nothing to them. Out of date food and cooking with frozen ingredients.

Would rather visit the job centre.
Pros
Free soggy pizza or undercooked pasta on shift.
Cons
Goodbye social life
Overall I wouldn't recommend this place..
Chef (Former Employee) –  Jesmond, Tyne and Wear10 July 2018
A typical day for me at work as I was kitchen porter/chef was either coming in to the kitchen and instantly starting prepping food such as pizza/pasta for customers. As a kitchen porter it was using the wash machine for a 5/6 hour shifts cleaning the dishes, helping the chefs with any tasks given. I was appreciative of being promoted to a chef from kitchen porter however I was still forced to do kitchen porter shifts which wasn't explained to me and was also less pay. Management seem like they have a split personality order, they're either nice or horrible to you depending on what side of the bed they woke up on. They would often do bad things which weren't going alongside health and safety standards and if you did the same, they would do everything they could to get you replaced by a new staff member. Other than the management, the co workers are some of the best people I've met and still talk to, to this day.
Pros
Free pizza every shift
Cons
Poor management, shifts vary from 2 hours to 12, work past your set time to leave
Great atmosphere to work in with good salary
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 July 2018
The shifts are flexible, you can adjust them around your life, it's great if you're not a weekend person as weekends are the busiest. The company has many positions if you're looking to advance in hospitality.
Pros
company discounts, good salary
Cons
long shifts
Pizza express employee
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, Wiltshire6 July 2018
Good place to work. Staff all lovely. Like a family. I’ve worked there nearly 12 years and the only reason of planning to find another job is because they can’t give me the hours of which I need at this time.
Super
WAITER - FRONT OF HOUSE (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh2 July 2018
Very Good in particular staff food and flexibility. If i was you i would be looking for a job in the kitchen to improve your skills and also to earn a bit more
Great for students
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey30 June 2018
PizzaExpress is great for students and part-timers. Minimum salary, however six years ago, you could make almost the same money in tips, that's if you worked in a busy restaurant, of course. Not sure of the culture these days though.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Long hours and stressful
Pointless waste of your life
Pizziollo (Former Employee) –  Preston City Centre, Lancashire30 June 2018
It all boils down to management or lack there of. The company is set up to protect managers regardless of their ineptitude and laziness, whilst everybody else (the hard workers) get Penalised.
In addition, the fresh food, authentic Italian pizza experience is a load of rubbish. Pizza express is one big chemistry experiment. Do your self a favour and boycott the company. Don’t work or go out and pay to eat their lies.
Pros
Cons
Free chemicals for you to eat every day. Terrible management.
brilliant but minimum wage
Waitress (Current Employee) –  belfast23 June 2018
this job is a very busy working environment and minimum wage pay just is not worth the amount of effort that is needed to be put into the job, the management is great
Enjoyable
RESTAURANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire14 June 2018
Hard work but enjoyable, just time for me to think about moving on to try and have a better work/life balance.
Very good company that like to develop from within.
Nice part time job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  St Albans11 June 2018
Normally get reasonable hours for a part time job and really easy to pick up and understand. Management isn't great but they work hard to adjust to your hours
Pros
50% off for everyone on your table whilst dining and free food during breaks
very long
Pot Washer (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 June 2018
all you did was clean but they said id get put on to train to be a chef but nothing really went past that I seemed like they said that to keep you at the job if im honest
Pros
free meals
Cons
very repetative
Poor Management
Waiter/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Leeds White Rose4 June 2018
I worked part time and would travel over an hour to work to often be sent home less than an hour into the shift due to being over staffed. This happened to many of the other workers alongside myself.
Many shifts I was given a small sections of merely three tables, even after being there over three months, whereas some people who had just been employed with little to no experience in the industry would be given sections with six or more, leading to mess ups and complaints.
Relaxed
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth3 June 2018
It was quite a relaxed restaurant, at some point in the day it was hungry hour which is when you need to pick it up a tad to make sure all customers are satisfied.

I enjoyed giggling with the customers a lot.
Pros
Friendly customers
Cons
leaving
Good working atmosphere not enough hours
Server/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge, West Midlands3 June 2018
I enjoyed the atmosphere, and my work colleagues. However they were unable to provide enough hours or career advancement which meant I had to leave and look for other work.
Hard work, fast paced, but fun rewarding work.
Waiter/MOD (Current Employee) –  Leicester2 June 2018
Looking after multiple guests, fast paced and often challenging. Colleagues are great and offers an enjoyable work environment. The salary is poor for the work required but the tips help to make it worth it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
physically tireing
hard work but flexible for students
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Bath31 May 2018
Short staffed shifts lead to poor management and customer complaints. Due to company's labour saving management, employees get their hours cut or asked to work more hours under abnormal conditions. The hardest part is to work with very different customers and fulfil everyone's needs. However, the workplace is students friendly as the shifts can be easily flexible.
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.