Pizza Express Employee Reviews

takes over your life
Waitress (Current Employee) –  portsolent9 August 2017
a generally enjoyable place to work but feels like people take advantage of you and you just become a slave to the company and cannot have a social life outside of work if you work full time
Pros
free pizza per shift
Cons
long hours that run over every time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wokingham, Berkshire8 August 2017
PizzaExpress was a really great place to work, everyday was different got to meet a lot of lovely people (customers and staff)
I learnt a lot of my management skills from there
not great
Head Waiter (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull7 August 2017
This is the longest job i had, underpaid every week, threatened with the sack for stuff like not putting a chefs delivery away when the chef couldn't be bothered, long hours like open close 4 days a week, no social life because of it
Pros
free lunch
Cons
underpaid, management, long days
Good
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Sevenoaks6 August 2017
The managers I had were able to give me the hours I needed when I needed them, but your experience will entirely hinge on what managers you get. You get free food.
Nice co workers always happy to help eachother
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire2 August 2017
Nice place to work met some great people there who are always happy to help one another, given many opportunities to advance myself in the job and learn new skills
Pros
Staff meal for 4 hours work
Cons
Hard shifts constantly on your feet
Good employee benefits
Waitress (Current Employee) –  North Yorkshire31 July 2017
No Social life available as shifts are very long and late nights and closes are very draining. Nice environment and mostly friendly customers. Overall an ok summer job wouldn't recommend full time as ive experienced.
Pros
Free lunch and employee discount
Cons
Long hours and poor management
Only benefits..?
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex30 July 2017
Free pizza on shift, discount food and decent waiters.

The company over all aren't bad, the quality of food, ingredients and prices are a rip to customers, and when I worked there, prices increased 3 times. We found an old menu where a basic pizza was £5.95, go on pay £11.95 for the same thing x_x

The FOH team members are great, management dont care about anyone below them, and will work you to the bone for extended durations of time, and NMW. Tips arent worth it in some restaurants, as the discounts PE run will reduce the over all bill and tip percentage.
Card tips are split between everyone but management.

Minimum contract hours is 5, if management dislike you they will only give you 5, if you work hard they will put you on doubles with near no break, days in a row and closes.

Think very carefully if you want your social life to crumble when you start working here.
Pros
team members, discount, food on shift
Cons
management, uncertainty, long hours, no breaks, poor pay and terrible tips
Hard work.
Chef/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 July 2017
Very hard work and pay isn't good for what they make you do. I was doing 3 jobs in one and it wasn't even fair. Never trained me properly for any job roles i wanted to achieve, management is all over the place. The only good thing i got out of working here is meeting a couple of lovely people
Pros
Hours and Staff
Cons
Wage, management, no proper training.
Place to learn
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard28 July 2017
If you want to learn and develop, this is the place. But get ready to lose a big chunk of your life.
The company reinforces your training. They will help you to become a greater you if you put effort too.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Hours
Productive and Fun
Manager On Duty (Current Employee) –  Sidcup, Greater London27 July 2017
Very Happy to be a part of such a great company and team. Management recognises hard workers and rewards them. A good company to start off at and advance through the ranks.
team working work place
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea25 July 2017
My typical day at work consisted of a very rapid and quick procedure of busy hours , help was always provided if needed , the management was always giving off positive energy and motivational speaches , i have learned to use all machines with the help of everyone . Hardest part of the job was keeping up with switching the machines on and off at the correct times. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching people enjoy their food and seeing great parties.
good place to learn new skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 July 2017
Started as a kitchen assistant and progressed to management. Never dull moment but always busy. Good if you enjoy being social and work hard. Good overall experience
Pros
free meals
Cons
constant change over of staff
Excellent working culture
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Baker Street17 July 2017
While the duties do not change from day-to-day working as a waiter, there is rarely a boring day on the job. With such a large focus on excellent customer service, interacting with customers is by far the best part of the job.

Furthermore, there is a sense of comradery within the workplace that makes every employee feel like part of a close team, which extends inside and outside of the working environment. Though the constant pressure within the job can be physically tiring, over time and with support of the team, the environment quickly becomes less stressing and more invigorating.
Pros
Good tips, free lunch and never a boring day on the job
fun workplace
Front of house staff / Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire8 July 2017
It is a very good job for somebody who likes to be a waiter. In my experience PizzaExpress is a busy restaurant in a small town, it thought me to be professional, to work fast and good.
Was okay
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Tonbridge, Kent3 July 2017
You get chucked right in to the deep end no training just expected to be a professional right from the start . Was made to carry four boiling hot plates on my arms on my first day . Had to remember every name of every dish
Chef. My responsibilities are (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade1 July 2017
Really good place to work!nice staff, life is good there no one is shouting on you, kitchen are very strong,everyone like a family !!! Enjoying to work there.
Enjoyable workplace
Waiter/Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Worcester30 June 2017
Excellent place to work with friendly staff, alongside a good management team. Worked here for several years, gaining sufficient skills and experience.
A good company to work with the only issue is salary
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire28 June 2017
Pizza express is a great company to work for as a whole, with a great life balance and a high level of standards. some of the positives are the fact that you still get to be able to do your hobbies and see the people that you care about the most whilst working 45 hours a week as a manager, high level of training preparing you for the role you will be stepping into, the company as a whole is very good at progressing the people they have already working for them due to a great belief in loyalty to there staff. The major issue that the company has is the salaries are not competitive enough to attract people to the company and it varies depending on which site you are in.
Pros
free food
Cons
low salary
Friendly and Supportive Job Environment
Food Runner (Current Employee) –  Ilkley26 June 2017
Its fast paced work but everyone is very helpful and you'd be surprised by how fast a shift goes. Hardest part would be occasionally missing your Saturday night but the team itself is fun and every shift is a happy one
Pros
free meals
Cons
split shifts occasionally
Excellent Training.
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard23 June 2017
I enjoy working for Pizza Express,

I however am looking for a new challenge, in a new field. I am a mature 25 year old, with almost 4 years managerial experience in Restaurants. This means I can take my skill to any new role.

I am looking to head into retail in a management position, and learn a new business.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.