Pizza Express Pay & Benefits reviews

every restaurant difirent
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh2 October 2018
cant cmplain had ups and d0wns , but genaral all g00d. every restaurant diferent but standarts the same, w0rked 6 years and will n0t change a thing meet s0me nice pe0ple and made friends. salary always 0n time
Fun
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Belfast26 September 2018
Really good environment. Made to feel like a family and no one was left out no matter what the job. Was well trained for the job and good working hours
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
1 in a million company but...
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Guildford10 September 2018
Good company but external assistant managers get paid more than internals who have showed their delegation and loyalty. Good benefits but make sure sometimes there is no personal life.
Pros
Free lunch, good training, good money as a waiter, prideful
Cons
Long hours and no personal life, upper management can be a pain and useless on many occations
A big mistake
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick4 September 2018
Joining Pizza Express was a big mistake. As an assistant manager, I was paid £20k for 40 hours a week.

I found that I was working 45-48 as I felt bad leaving the staff and handover manager if it was busy, you'd have great difficulty trying to claim these back from area manager as it "expected as a manager" to quote his words.

Head office gave very few hours for you to put into the business and they had unrealistic expectations.

I lost my holidays after coming out of training as I was transferred to my base restaurant another, where the managers there already had holidays to take (despite them having had the entire holiday calendar year to have taken these before my arrival). This cost me around £450.

On the upside, the foods very nice and they offer a pizza to all staff on shifts longer than 4 hours.

Waiters can also make a killing on tips, often making more than their wage. However, managers are excluded from the tips - often meaning you were walking out with less than your waiters and pot washers (I kid you not!)
Pros
Free meals, nice food
Cons
Long hours, no tips for managers, working over your salary hours, lost holiday days, unrealistic expectations, short staffed
A good place to work.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 August 2018
A good place to work, tips are great however hours are uncertain. Can have full time hours one week then dropped down to 4 hours the next week. Free food is good.
Pros
tips, free food
Cons
working most weekends, no guaranteed hours
Productive and Fun Worklace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire7 August 2018
Fun and social workplace with flexible hours willing to work around your schedule. Management is not particularly consistent between managers however.
Pros
Free Staff Food
Not a good company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Uk6 August 2018
Worked there for over a year as an assistant manager on a basic salary on a 45hr no over time bonus don't happen and people higher then you don't care as long as they see money the amount of discuss that they do kill your overall sells and your management higher then you will tell you to cut staff want here no where to cut. I won't go back and trust me don't apply
Pros
Staff food (just pizza)
Cons
All of the above
Hard work but potentially fun
Chef (Current Employee) –  North East29 July 2018
Takes over your life, with the corporate brand brainwashing employees into spending far too much time at work and thinking about it when not at work. Endless pushing for sales and brand standards. Long trainee period which they are often unwilling to promote you from.
Pros
Free meal on shift. Staff discounts through perks at work to lots of other brands.
Cons
Long hours potentially, or being sent home early and not given enough hours: seasonally variable.
Great company, poor culture
Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire26 July 2018
Structurally speaking, Pizza Express is a great company to work for - Good training and development and nice environment to work in.

However, staff culture can be very 'cliquey', and if you're not comfortable with being a 'Brown Nose', you might not fit in...

Managers (especially junior ones) can get off on a power trip if you speak up, and if you have something to say, just keep it nice and pleasing if you want to keep your job.

Another downside is lots of gossiping and bad mouthing, and seniors will try to hush you, if you over hear their regular ranting about other staff.

Free lunch is one of the big pluses here, and lots of snacking on down time, plus you receive a percentage of the gratuity tips.
Pros
Free lunch, percentage of tips distributed
Cons
Can get stressful, lots of 'Brown Nosing' required, staff can be lazy at times
Enjoyable
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare14 July 2018
I enjoy my job at Pizza Express but the salary could be better and I hardly get any shifts which is inconvenient during summer when I have lots of free time.
Pros
Free staff meal every 4 hours, 50% staff discount
Cons
Low salary, minimal shifts
Great atmosphere to work in with good salary
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 July 2018
The shifts are flexible, you can adjust them around your life, it's great if you're not a weekend person as weekends are the busiest. The company has many positions if you're looking to advance in hospitality.
Pros
company discounts, good salary
Cons
long shifts
Super
WAITER - FRONT OF HOUSE (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh2 July 2018
Very Good in particular staff food and flexibility. If i was you i would be looking for a job in the kitchen to improve your skills and also to earn a bit more
Great for students
Manager on Duty (Former Employee) –  Epsom, Surrey30 June 2018
PizzaExpress is great for students and part-timers. Minimum salary, however six years ago, you could make almost the same money in tips, that's if you worked in a busy restaurant, of course. Not sure of the culture these days though.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Long hours and stressful
brilliant but minimum wage
Waitress (Current Employee) –  belfast23 June 2018
this job is a very busy working environment and minimum wage pay just is not worth the amount of effort that is needed to be put into the job, the management is great
Nice part time job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  St Albans11 June 2018
Normally get reasonable hours for a part time job and really easy to pick up and understand. Management isn't great but they work hard to adjust to your hours
Pros
50% off for everyone on your table whilst dining and free food during breaks
Hard work, fast paced, but fun rewarding work.
Waiter/MOD (Current Employee) –  Leicester2 June 2018
Looking after multiple guests, fast paced and often challenging. Colleagues are great and offers an enjoyable work environment. The salary is poor for the work required but the tips help to make it worth it.
Pros
Free food
Cons
physically tireing
hard work but flexible for students
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Bath31 May 2018
Short staffed shifts lead to poor management and customer complaints. Due to company's labour saving management, employees get their hours cut or asked to work more hours under abnormal conditions. The hardest part is to work with very different customers and fulfil everyone's needs. However, the workplace is students friendly as the shifts can be easily flexible.
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management
some good some bad aspects
Waitress/Food Runner (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent15 May 2018
as with every job, there were some good and some bad days, the good days were always fun but the bad days were some of the most exhausting id ever experienced
Pros
free food
Cons
manager
Fun Workplace
Part-time Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Belfast12 May 2018
Typical day at work included cleaning the restaurant and preparing for the work day ahead. The working environment was very pleasant and hard work was readily recognised and praised by management.
Pros
Free meals, discount, training
Fast food pizza restaurant
Senior pizza chef (Current Employee) –  London12 May 2018
I joyned pizza express in january,honestly I don't like it. I used to work in a higher level kitchen. The salary is not bad but I would like to work in a different contest.
Pros
Salary
Cons
That's a fast food

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.