Pizza Express Employee Reviews for Server

Terrible pay, uncertain work hours and easily dispensable
waiter (Former Employee) –  Sussex7 January 2019
I would not recommend working for this company.
Overall my morals and values do not align with Pizza Express where the lowest paid members of staff are penalised so that the company executives can gain the most profit with the least amount of expenditure on their easily expendable front of house staff.

Each waiter is supposed to have around £20 in change of their own money every shift to be able to provide customers with change. This is done so that if the waiter makes a mistake such as undercharging someone, that mistake will not be felt by the company (though it would be insignificant to their net profits), but by the member of staff who earns between £4.20 and £7.83 per hour. Another negative of this procedure is that the member of staff must go to the bank prior to every shift and is obviously not paid for this, though it could take up to an hour to do this task.

During one of my shifts it was highlighted to me that Pizza Express feel it is acceptable to charge the waiter if, for example the waiter undercharges a table, or if the customers leave without paying. Consequently, penalising the lowest paid members of staff once again. I am not suggesting that waiters should be allowed to make lots of mistakes, however there are more reasonable ways of dealing with such events, should they occur.

When I worked here some of the staff chose not to take their unpaid breaks despite being on their feet for many hours which clearly shows that they value the money more and are doing themselves a disservice by not allowing a short amount of time to recuperate and eat, simply
  more... because they cannot afford to lose out on the little pay that they do get. The company could afford to pay staff for their breaks but are cutting corners everywhere to penalise the staff. Should the staff breaks be paid, and/or the wage be high enough to offset an unpaid break, I am certain the staff would be more than inclined to accept a break during their shift making them less stressed and more contented which would therefore convey to the customers and provide a better service overall.

I was told that the waiter needs to purchase a bottle opener to open bottles for Pizza Express’ customers, and though you could argue that the cost of a bottle opener is minimal, it should be the company that provides this, not the member of staff if you want to provide good service.
Pros
free lunch, however this is restricted to a margherita with 2 toppings which can get quite boring
Cons
low wage, you are dispensable, uncertain hours, lowest paid members of staff treated worst
bullies
waitress (Former Employee) –  Wallington, UK13 December 2018
Management doesn't look after the staff well and have favourites. Management do what they like and think they can bully people and get away with this.
Fun and supportive work environment.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire17 November 2018
Management is massively supportive through out the shift. I gain a lot of skills that I can now use in future jobs such as punctuality, spotting intentional issues and preventing them and high quality customer service.
Waiter (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 November 2018
I've had many great years working in Pizza Express. Working with and meeting great people along the way. The hours can be long but making tips is a definite advantage to doing the long hours.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
good
Waiter (Former Employee) –  London15 November 2018
good first job. good tips if youre nice to people why is this field mandatory to make us waste time,nothing relevant to say actually. thanks for the time wasted
productive and fun workplace
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Wallington29 October 2018
I learned a lot about waiting and everyone was willing to help me therefore the tips were god enough but the rota was every week almost the same .good place for work !
Pros
free lunches
fun
WAITRESSING (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City17 October 2018
was very flexible allowing me to work enough shifts to work adn focus on my studies, the staff were very friendly and made some great friends, plus the free pizza was great
every restaurant difirent
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh2 October 2018
cant cmplain had ups and d0wns , but genaral all g00d. every restaurant diferent but standarts the same, w0rked 6 years and will n0t change a thing meet s0me nice pe0ple and made friends. salary always 0n time
suammry
Waiter (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 September 2018
used to work here was chiled out relaxed needed to focus on progression and building the comaony was a good laugh and did learn some thigs I still use
Stressful and unorganised place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire14 August 2018
I began my job and loved it. However the friendly front of higher staff quickly worn off and i couldn't wait to leave. Hours were all over the place and management were not understanding of any issues outside the job itself - eg family funeral.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
uncertain hours, poor management
A good place to work.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 August 2018
A good place to work, tips are great however hours are uncertain. Can have full time hours one week then dropped down to 4 hours the next week. Free food is good.
Pros
tips, free food
Cons
working most weekends, no guaranteed hours
Productive and Fun Worklace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Macclesfield, Cheshire7 August 2018
Fun and social workplace with flexible hours willing to work around your schedule. Management is not particularly consistent between managers however.
Pros
Free Staff Food
Not amazing, but the tips make it worth it.
Waitress/ Pot wash (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire1 August 2018
Working here was a good experience but I was not happy with the training and the management at all. I got kept as a waitress for basically the whole time I was working over summer and then as soon as management changed over to someone much nicer, they immediately make me a full paid waitress - the only frustrating thing was I was back at Uni the week later, so I was only getting full pay and tips for a week, the rest of the time I wasn't allowed tips and was paid minimum. At pizza express you are required to do almost everything other than putting the food in the oven, this can be challenging and very stressful as you have to run your section, take orders, prepare drinks, desserts and run food, and in my case also do the pot wash. I think as I was getting the minimum pay I should not have been expected to do all of those tasks nor should anybody. I'm not too sure whether it was just this branch that had the waiters/ waitresses doing absolutely everything but it isn't good. They should allocate people certain job roles. I gained a fair bit of experience from this job and the other staff members were kind but I also felt out of place when I arrived because everyone knew each other and they were not very welcoming at first. I would work here again as long as I was put as a fully trained waitress because the training was appalling and pay was rubbish. The most enjoyable part was being able to have some great conversations with customers and engaging with them, and gaining a big tip by the end of it for being so genuine, that is what kept me going.
Pros
free pizza, 50% off food, Keep your own tips.
Cons
Free pizza became too much and no options for healthy eaters, sometimes sent home after 10 minutes, breaks could be 2 hours long unpaid.
Productive and fun envirement
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
The time spent in Pizza Express is was very benefiting. During all shift you have responsibilities to look after except the main one - to serve guests. Great teamwork and management
Pros
Free meals, flexible hours
Cons
mainly pizza alowed for employee meal
Enjoyable
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare14 July 2018
I enjoy my job at Pizza Express but the salary could be better and I hardly get any shifts which is inconvenient during summer when I have lots of free time.
Pros
Free staff meal every 4 hours, 50% staff discount
Cons
Low salary, minimal shifts
Great atmosphere to work in with good salary
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh8 July 2018
The shifts are flexible, you can adjust them around your life, it's great if you're not a weekend person as weekends are the busiest. The company has many positions if you're looking to advance in hospitality.
Pros
company discounts, good salary
Cons
long shifts
Pizza express employee
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Marlborough, Wiltshire6 July 2018
Good place to work. Staff all lovely. Like a family. I’ve worked there nearly 12 years and the only reason of planning to find another job is because they can’t give me the hours of which I need at this time.
Super
WAITER - FRONT OF HOUSE (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh2 July 2018
Very Good in particular staff food and flexibility. If i was you i would be looking for a job in the kitchen to improve your skills and also to earn a bit more
brilliant but minimum wage
Waitress (Current Employee) –  belfast23 June 2018
this job is a very busy working environment and minimum wage pay just is not worth the amount of effort that is needed to be put into the job, the management is great
Nice part time job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  St Albans11 June 2018
Normally get reasonable hours for a part time job and really easy to pick up and understand. Management isn't great but they work hard to adjust to your hours
Pros
50% off for everyone on your table whilst dining and free food during breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Pizza Express Reviews by Location