Pizza Express Employee Reviews for Porter

No confidentiality,No fair rota, not a safe environment
Kitchen Porter / Cleaner | Greater (Former Employee) –  Salford Quays, Greater Manchester10 December 2018
You need to work at the wash pot alone, the more you achieve, the more they use you. They used to let me work alone for the busy days because I am fast and they use me to safe money for the company. Furthermore, can be not safe sometimes as you spent most hours work behind a close door when no one knows if you are ok or not.In addition to the worse thing I had ever seen, most of the staff can access to the manager computer and have a look on the other staff information. There is no confidentiality at all.
pretty good but the same
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Midhurst, West Sussex8 September 2017
Pizza express started off as a good job but then continued to be the same as there isn't much Varity to the job. Overall though the job was very good and fun
Fun workplace
Kitchen Porter waitress chef (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset30 August 2017
Good work place to work at very good team and great tips, friendly team to work along side. good staff food. good hours however sometimes would finish really late.
Pros
staff food
Cons
long finishes
team working work place
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Southend-On-Sea25 July 2017
My typical day at work consisted of a very rapid and quick procedure of busy hours , help was always provided if needed , the management was always giving off positive energy and motivational speaches , i have learned to use all machines with the help of everyone . Hardest part of the job was keeping up with switching the machines on and off at the correct times. The most enjoyable part of the job was watching people enjoy their food and seeing great parties.
Fun, fast-paced and challenging work place
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire16 February 2017
A typical day at work would depend on the either the morning or the evening shift. The morning shift consisted of making sure the restaurant was set up and ready for the opening hours e.g moping floors and cleaning bathrooms as well as the setting up the cleaning machinery. The evening shift was spent keeping the kitchen area clean and hygienic while supporting the kitchen and waiting staff.

I learned many industry standards of food hygiene as well as how to clean and maintain a variety of kitchen machinery.

The workplace was often one of pressure and a fast paced one, the hardest part of the job was to prioritise individual work loads according to the demands of various situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the team I worked with including the management and delivering a high standard of customer satisfaction.
Long hours and problems with constant changing team
Chef, kitchen porter (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire6 January 2017
Problems with being understaffed are a constant, management being told to cut hours putting more pressure on a smaller workforce dealing with the same volume of customers.
Pros
Good pay, free food
Cons
Constant changing of management
Good people, Fun environment.
Waiter/Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Worthing30 December 2016
I had many problems working with Pizza Express Worthing, within the new opening of the restaurant I was confined to work as a pot wash for almost my entire employment even when my job title was Trainee waiter, Made to work in the dark on my first day with another co-worker, glass washing machine was broken and had been through out my employment. Management was horrible. Too much stock intake for one, the Manager was arrogant towards me, constant pressure and unwillingness to co-operate with my demands of needing to get comfortable with working in the public eye, needing to have more time also on the floor to do so. With all this going on he demonstrated that he was willing to get rid of me as I was incompetent and only wanted as a pot wash, I found the new assistant manager was to be rude and unjust. Only to support the managements decision to be on my case about anything and everything. So with that I gladly handed in my resignation. On top of everything, the hours which where doct as me working as a waiter where wrong and fraudulent, more hours put down as a waiter instead I was just a pot wash.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Poor working Conditions, Management.
Productive workplace
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Heswall29 November 2016
A typical shift was 5-6 hours in the evenings, working in the back kitchen, between chef team and waiting staff, cleaning dishes, the back kitchen and the rest of the restaurant.

I learned how to use all the cleaning equipment and how to get through large amounts of cleaning very quickly in order to avoid pile-up of cleaning in very busy hours and ensure the restaurant remained well stocked with clean dishes, utensils etc.

The management were fair and personable and co-workers were enjoyable to work with.

The hardest part of the job was busy hours on busiest days like Saturday as there was pressure to keep up with cleaning without help.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the camaraderie with the other members of staff throughout the shifts.
Great place to work recommend for any teenagers
Kitchen Porter / Cleaner Brighton (Former Employee) –  Brighton11 July 2016
This was a great place to work for me, i worked as a kitchen porter which meant i rarely had to deal with customers and could get on and keep my head down working which i like. Work is fast paced yet enjoyable and the work culture is extremely relaxed. One major pro was regular cigarette breaks allowed because of the amount of smokers in catering and free food ever 4 hours and first picks on mistakes as well as staff discount in other stores.
Pros
free food, great relaxed yet faced paced atmosphere
Cons
none really it is hard work but worth it
lovely place
kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  East Grinstead12 February 2016
good management,lovely stuff,bit busy but its a company where i would work anytime :)i have gained lots of experiance in the time working for the company in customer service.
bad job
CLEANER and KITCHEN PORTER (Former Employee) –  Bury, ENG28 March 2015
for me to been my first job in england and the truth that has not been rewarding to work with this company because I could not work many hours a week and my initially interested me 40 hours a week.
Work
Kitchen Porter/ Trainee Chef (Current Employee) –  Northallerton, ENG30 January 2015
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Pros
Free staff food when on shift and 50% disscount in all stores. Fun and freindly work enviroment.
Cons
Bad management
Good working environment
Cleaner/Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Falmouth7 October 2014
Very friendly coworkers who eased me into the fast paced job and helped me whenever it was necessary. There was not really a hard aspect to the job as i have always been a rather fast learner. The most enjoyable part was working and talking to such fun and enjoyable people.
Wouldn't Recommend Unless applying for Management or Waitress
Kitchen Porter (Current Employee) –  Scotland12 May 2014
Hello, I work BOH at Pizza Express and currently in the Kitchen Porter role, (it's effectively a cleaner) having never worked within a kitchen environment previous to this I really didn't know what to expect. But with the unreliable hours for example 2 hours a morning, maybe 4 on a night. I work hard within this role, however it never seems to get noticed, as you are practically left to your own devices. Pay isn't very good unless you have a lot of hours or a good waitress/FOH manager. The hardest part is probably working without gratification.
Pros
Free Pizza if you work 5 Hours, Unlimited free coffee and coridal drink
Cons
Hit and miss hours, considered 'unskilled'
very good environment to work in staff extremely friendly
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Hesswell5 February 2014
This is an excellent place to work staff are friendly and helpfull
Pizza express
Kitchen porter (Former Employee) –  Plymouth19 January 2014
When working in a very busy environment, it is not as easy as people think singing up for a job is, once I got comfortable after my training on being a kitchen porter my attention noticed little things such as having to keep of with the pace of work as everyone else would be out writing food orders id have too wash dishes quick enough to wash more on there way in, more of my duty's would be putting plates/glasses out to the main floor .
Pros
Free food.
Cons
Long hours.
fun workplace
cleaner/kitchen porter (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen city26 September 2012
i do love working with pizza express,co-workers are fun and friendly,ive done the e-learning last year,management a little bit poor but our manager is overworked but hes very nice and funny to work with.The hardest part of the job is when the dishwasher breaks down and u have to do dishes manually in hot soapy water and rinse with the sink hose,esp,when we r busy in the evenings and weekends.
Pros
gr8 staff food-a pizza with a choice of any 2 toppings.
Cons
im doing 10 shifts at the moment until we get another cleaner, hopefully starting in a fortnight, cos im only getting 1 day off.
Friendly staff
Cleaner/Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth19 June 2012
A typical day would be a busy environment especially in summer months and school holiday periods. Management staff treated everyone with respect and were a pleasure to work for.
Pros
other staff were friendly
Cons
long hours, could be short staffed at busy times