Pizza Express Employee Reviews for Cleaner

gossips and horribly ran
Cleaner Operative (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim3 October 2018
was lied to was promised more hours then underpaid for the hours that i did do
horrible company to work for
this store in particular was not ran properly stupid things were getting prioritized at the end of the night rather than the cleaning which made my job harder i will always warn people of this company as i could not get over how i was treated people would talk about you and you could hear it when you have been in that place since 10 that morning with no 11 hours rest people wondered why you were tired.
Pros
free pizza with minimal toppings
Cons
underpaid long hours and no breaks
Chef newcastle dean street
pizza chef, I did work as a cleaner (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear24 September 2018
Management don't look after thier staff and rude worked.at dean street Newcastle for six years didn't even get a thankyou for my service not the company I started with and would never go back got really bad depression coz for this place
Pros
Free staff food
Cons
Long hour bad managerment
Safe, friendly, productive and fun
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Harrow on the Hill, Greater London5 February 2018
When entering the workplace all the staff members are friendly which helps a lot as there are days where it gets really stressful. The management there is relatively fair and work with you when needing flexible work hours. Working there isn't that difficult you just need to learn to deal with stress well. Other than that working there is really good .
Pros
Free lunch
not worth the stress
Full-time KP/ cleaner (Former Employee) –  Winchester12 March 2018
worked for pizza express for 3 months, hot and sweaty work so be prepared to work hard. probation is 6 months long so you don't get tips until it ends which means for 6 months your on minimum. didnt get on with management at all.
Pros
free lunch every 6 hours worked and every 10 hours anything from menu, free coffee
Cons
uncomftable conditions, bad management.
Fun
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Belfast26 September 2018
Really good environment. Made to feel like a family and no one was left out no matter what the job. Was well trained for the job and good working hours
Pros
Free lunch
Ok
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bluewater, Kent1 August 2018
It was an alright place to work overall mainly due to friendly people (employees and management staff). The work conditions where largely clean and orderly.
coworkers fun
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  London23 June 2016
Its cool because I have benefits, a daily meal, the worst thing are schedules very long hours sometimes.
I enjoy the job because I can keep social with the kitchen staff, they bring stuff to me instead of me going to grab it from the kitchen which makes it easier on me, but although the shift drags on sometimes and you have to be in a groove most of the time if you stop for a minute or several minutes you could end up with more dishes than you would if you kept working 5 hours straight
Pros
easy job
very long
Pot Washer (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 June 2018
all you did was clean but they said id get put on to train to be a chef but nothing really went past that I seemed like they said that to keep you at the job if im honest
Pros
free meals
Cons
very repetative
A highly motivated and fun atmosphere
Oasis - Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Sheffield19 April 2015
A busy, enjoyable environment where i learnt lots of things, such as how the machines worked, hygiene and that customers get the full satisfaction. Management was very good, very supportive when work got hard, and when times got busy my co-workers were fun and made the job enjoyable. The hardest part of the job was getting everything done on time, especially in the mornings it can get tough. When you are on your own, you have to clean all the toilets, sweep and mop floors, clean surfaces, take all the stock up and wash pots all in the morning. On the weekends it gets really hectic and it is hard to keep up washing and drying the pots.
Pros
Free food and anything of the menu during break time (no alcohol)
Cons
Long hours, sometimes no staff food.
Long shifts no breaks unfair dismissal
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Teesside25 April 2016
I had to take 3 days off due to a trapped nerve in my lower back, they got annoyed and sacked me. Losing this job wasn't the end of the world as it was by far the worst place in the world to work. There was no communication from management and the front of house staff didn't Care and almost went out of their way to make my job harder. Speaking of my job, I never applied to be a cleaner, I applied as a supervisor and got offered a job as a chef, yet I never stepped foot in the kitchen and they wouldn't let me do anything but was pots and unblock urinals. I would not advise anyone to work here and I'll certainly be contacting HR for unfair dismissal
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, no food, no help
Just don’t give you the respect that you deserve as you woke very late and hard.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Uckfield11 September 2017
I feel like you have to be used to late nights and long hours to work somewhere like this as it can be very tiring and boring. The manger doesn’t give you enough respect as you are the heart of the business because without you there would be no plates for the dishes to go on that would be clean.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
Long hours into the night for a 16year old
Too many hours
Cleaner (part-time) + receptionist (Current Employee) –  Hatfield, Hertfordshire18 December 2016
I've only just started working here recently, the staff are lovely and helpful. However, I've been put for both the receptionist (front of house) and cleaning... So far I've been cleaning the whole time with one shift at the door. I'm the youngest person working there I'm 17 and i've been put to do the most physical job in the whole restaurant. Also the hours are ridiculous even for a part-time job I've been asked to come in 5 days straight for at least 6 hours each time. If you are like me and attending school be careful as they wont very considerate of your school hours and work you need to do for it.. They have put me on shifts till 11pm on most week nights and I have to be up at 7am the following mornings it's a nightmare.
Pros
Free food, discounts, nice staff
Cons
Long hours, not considerate of school hours, lots of physical labour
Enjoyable environment but only at certain times during my time there
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Solihull27 July 2016
Overall I really enjoyed my time working here, I met some great people who I loved seeing each shift. The job itself wasn't stressful unless we were particularly busy and even then most of my colleagues would help me out with what I needed to do if they saw the work load was getting to be too much. My main criticism and the reason I left the position was because out of the two main floor managers, I only got along with one of them. From the time I began I felt unwelcome when around the one manager and he generally didn't treat any of the cleaning staff or any staff he wasn't particularly fond of nicely at all. When I started up until I left I was not informed about certain things and the way the restaurant was run therefore got called up on things I'd done wrong that the manager should have already told me about. This particular manager also refused to listen to any employee complaints that were put forward to improve the restaurant and instead swore on numerous occasions at those giving the complaints. At one point a comment was made about the cleaning staff being the least important because they were "just cleaners and nothing more."
If it had not been for this manager then I would have perhaps stayed and got another part time job to ensure I was earning enough as the salary was only £5.85p/h, something I was not informed of when I started, instead I was told I would be earning £6.70p/h. I was also told that after three months I would no longer be classed as a trainee cleaner and would receive card tips, this never happened. When I initially applied to work there I applied
  more... for two positions and was told by this manager that he would train me up for one position when I started and the second position after Christmas, this also didn't happen.  less
Pros
Free meal and drink after working 4 hours, lovely kitchen staff, 20% off food away from work hours
Cons
Poor management, poor pay, certain members of staff were treated below par
Fun place to work.
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  St Albans29 April 2016
Fun place to work. Good management. Good structure for forward growth. Co workers are great to work with. The only hard part of the job is staying up on your feet for long hours. All in all the management and the employees make the work place fun and educational.
Pros
free meals and discounts
Cons
very physical
Nice fun enjoyable workplace good atmosphere
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire14 February 2017
Theres always good atmosphere hours are flexible and Nice place to work always room for improvement incouraging courses. If you feel like persueing any career in catering or management always new courses
Pros
Always room for improvement
Cons
Hours constantly changing
Hard work.
Chef/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 July 2017
Very hard work and pay isn't good for what they make you do. I was doing 3 jobs in one and it wasn't even fair. Never trained me properly for any job roles i wanted to achieve, management is all over the place. The only good thing i got out of working here is meeting a couple of lovely people
Pros
Hours and Staff
Cons
Wage, management, no proper training.
fun co workers, amazing set of people working there.
Cleaner/ pot wash (Current Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, ENG27 July 2014
I am responsible for completing the cleaning rotor daily and carrying out any extra tasks as requested by the kitchen staff, restaurant staff or management team. My routine includes sweeping and mopping of floors, toilet cleaning and general waste removal. In the afternoons and evenings I work as a pot wash. During this time I am responsible for ensuring all pots, pans, cutlery and glass ware are washed and dried and ready for use as fast as possible to ensure a high service standard is withheld at all times this includes starting up , closing down and washing of the dishwasher daily.
Management has been fantastic catering to my needs whilst being pregnant and also about my return to work needs. My co workers are amazing.Every person is unique and fun and get along with each other. If they have a problem they sort it amongst themselves without talking behind each others back. My co workers are my reason for working with a smile on my face everyday.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
back of house becomes very lonely place to work!
Would not recommend anyone to work here
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Basildon, Essex17 June 2017
Was a nice place to work,I worked there for 15 months,manager had her on plans when she joined the team,slowly pushing you out unless you are family or kiss her butt,seriously treated me badly as i was a hard worker and took pride in my work and always helped anyone there without being asked,the rest of the team are brilliant,lovely people.
Pros
nice team.
Cons
Management.
Terrible if you have a disablitiy
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  The white house basingstoke13 May 2017
They Hired me knowing I had a disability, and they kept pressuring me to work at everyone Else's speed which was impossible for me , they made me carry heavy objects which damaged my legs futher and I had no breaks I had to ask for a five minute break so I could sort out my condition and I got yelled at alot the management staff would complain about me saying I was to slow I was not doing my work correctly, when in fact I was following on what the privous cleaner had shown me, they add on more work that you where not told to do in the first place and they don't care if you are having trouble I fell down twice during my late night shift and no one battered an eyelid, yeah you get free food sometimes I went home late at night and straight to bed I was so tired and sore that I was unable to cook when I got home around midnight so sometimes I spent two days with out eating anything so I could work around them.

Also no breaks don't expect to take a breather if you are having trouble, unless you smoke you don't get a priority and they don't follow there health and safety rules either I don't recommend this line of work for all the pizza in the world

I would not be surprised if the 5 star rating's are the staff management pretending to be workers.
Pros
you are allowed to go home
Cons
everything else
fun and happy work place
Pot Washer and cleaner (Current Employee) –  Whitstable25 November 2016
on a Saturday I would only work 2 hours in the morning from 10 to 12 I would clean the restaurant by sweeping and mopping the floors, top up all soaps and tissues, clean all bathrooms and mop them clean windows and mirrors and wash up any dirty equipment.
on a sunday I would do the same thing in the morning and go home and come back at 7 to work in the pot wash where I would wash up all equipment used, plates cutlery etc and put them all away. at the end of the shift which is normally 11 I would shut down the machines, sweep and mop the floor and change bins and take them out. on a Monday I work from 8 till 11:15 at night I would be in the pot wash doing the same thing.
Pros
free food
Cons
not enough hours and days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.