Pizza Express Employee Reviews for Chef

Fun work environment full of friendly people
Pot wash/trainee chef (Former Employee) –  Northallerton, North Yorkshire25 September 2018
Started working there when I went back to college to retrain, met my life long friends there and the company gave me all ge hours where they could accomadate me, had late nights but it was a great job
Pros
Staff food
Cons
Late nights
Management system taught within the company is not effective for happy work environment.
Full time Chef (Former Employee) –  Surrey24 September 2018
The management system taught creates a 'them' and 'us' approach to staffing. Chefs are not properly looked after. Restaurants are constantly understaffed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Understaffed constantly.
Hard work but potentially fun
Chef (Current Employee) –  North East29 July 2018
Takes over your life, with the corporate brand brainwashing employees into spending far too much time at work and thinking about it when not at work. Endless pushing for sales and brand standards. Long trainee period which they are often unwilling to promote you from.
Pros
Free meal on shift. Staff discounts through perks at work to lots of other brands.
Cons
Long hours potentially, or being sent home early and not given enough hours: seasonally variable.
Would rather visit the jobcenter
Pizza chef. (Former Employee) –  Winchester11 July 2018
The staff are great but management really don't care about you, even try to fire you for made up rubbish.

Wages are lowest around and they demand you do extra shifts and sometimes don't pay you for it.

Had managers trying to chat up staff and when one was found out doing this AND a self confessed child abuser and pedo they move them to other stores and protect them.

If you want a social life DO NOT work here..

No annual pay rise and if you are sick for any reason they will give discaplinary when you come back.

Health and safety is nothing to them. Out of date food and cooking with frozen ingredients.

Would rather visit the job centre.
Pros
Free soggy pizza or undercooked pasta on shift.
Cons
Goodbye social life
Overall I wouldn't recommend this place..
Chef (Former Employee) –  Jesmond, Tyne and Wear10 July 2018
A typical day for me at work as I was kitchen porter/chef was either coming in to the kitchen and instantly starting prepping food such as pizza/pasta for customers. As a kitchen porter it was using the wash machine for a 5/6 hour shifts cleaning the dishes, helping the chefs with any tasks given. I was appreciative of being promoted to a chef from kitchen porter however I was still forced to do kitchen porter shifts which wasn't explained to me and was also less pay. Management seem like they have a split personality order, they're either nice or horrible to you depending on what side of the bed they woke up on. They would often do bad things which weren't going alongside health and safety standards and if you did the same, they would do everything they could to get you replaced by a new staff member. Other than the management, the co workers are some of the best people I've met and still talk to, to this day.
Pros
Free pizza every shift
Cons
Poor management, shifts vary from 2 hours to 12, work past your set time to leave
Fast food pizza restaurant
Senior pizza chef (Current Employee) –  London12 May 2018
I joyned pizza express in january,honestly I don't like it. I used to work in a higher level kitchen. The salary is not bad but I would like to work in a different contest.
Pros
Salary
Cons
That's a fast food
best place to work
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  London8 May 2018
pizza express its a company to work with they are one of the best chains in uk.. feel free to build a demand of new skills. they also pride the staff!!
it was a good workplace
Volunteer Chef (Former Employee) –  Jersey, Jersey29 April 2018
I only worked there for trident work experience but on the whole it was a fun and rewarding job. The team was also very nice, helpful and ensured I learnt everything properly.
fun workplace
Senior chef (Current Employee) –  Stanmore22 April 2018
Working at pizza express had its pros and cons but overall its a good experience. It increased my ability of hard working under stress for long hours . it also helped me to know how much i can handle at work. I have learned a lot from everyone there.
fun work place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Macclesfield17 February 2018
realyyy fun to work with the colegs really god management long hours to work long shifts speaceli the closing dauns over all a god place to strart working
fun place
Pizza's chef (Former Employee) –  Worthing12 February 2018
pizza express is a big company in UK, however you get in touch with different culture and you learn many aspect of food. Fresh and nice food to enjoy.
Pros
free food
Horrid
Chef (Former Employee) –  Swansea25 December 2017
Treated like a slave, Hard labour job. I worked very hard to be given unfair hours and unstable pay, not to forget the unpaid hours i have to chase. no looking after staff whatsoever, with big nasty attitudes of managers.
Pros
Cons
weight lose
pizza chef
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow6 October 2017
fast pace
food preperation
cleaning duties
good management
friendly staff
open kitchen on show to customers
late nights and weekend work
fun
free staff meal
Very good
Chef (Former Employee) –  Finchley, Greater London29 September 2017
It’s giving me the opportunity of cooking and cleaning knowing the process of the food industry I had good fun and good time cooking for customers and enjoying work
Cons
Not very pleasant work environment
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Liverpool25 September 2017
Enjoyed the pizza making but rude staff/management when not up to scratch with the pizza making during trial period.
Organised kitchen area was enjoyable to work in.
Nice co workers always happy to help eachother
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire2 August 2017
Nice place to work met some great people there who are always happy to help one another, given many opportunities to advance myself in the job and learn new skills
Pros
Staff meal for 4 hours work
Cons
Hard shifts constantly on your feet
Chef. My responsibilities are (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade1 July 2017
Really good place to work!nice staff, life is good there no one is shouting on you, kitchen are very strong,everyone like a family !!! Enjoying to work there.
could do better
Chef (Current Employee) –  Scotland19 June 2017
In my current branch, it feels as though there are no opportunities for advancement and we are working for little in the way of return or even thanks. As a result, morale is low and we are having to be there of r each other as it feels the management and above are more interested in the profit margins rather than helping the staff and sorting out any ongoing problems.
Nice place
Pizza Chef (Current Employee) –  Ramsgate, Kent9 June 2017
Stuff very placeable to work with, very sociable and funny. Love the kitchen every time very well cleaned and the hygiene of food is alway on top. Busy place during the weekend thanks to the seafront
Good team orientated place
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 May 2017
Enabled me to gain many skills while being there however management changed a lot. Staff all friendly and welcoming , good trainer and good chance to move up a level

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Pizza Express Reviews by Location