Pizza Express Employee Reviews for Chef

Horrid
Chef (Former Employee) –  Swansea25 December 2017
Treated like a slave, Hard labour job. I worked very hard to be given unfair hours and unstable pay, not to forget the unpaid hours i have to chase. no looking after staff whatsoever, with big nasty attitudes of managers.
Pros
Cons
weight lose
Very good
Chef (Former Employee) –  Finchley, Greater London29 September 2017
It’s giving me the opportunity of cooking and cleaning knowing the process of the food industry I had good fun and good time cooking for customers and enjoying work
Cons
Not very pleasant work environment
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Liverpool25 September 2017
Enjoyed the pizza making but rude staff/management when not up to scratch with the pizza making during trial period.
Organised kitchen area was enjoyable to work in.
Nice co workers always happy to help eachother
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire2 August 2017
Nice place to work met some great people there who are always happy to help one another, given many opportunities to advance myself in the job and learn new skills
Pros
Staff meal for 4 hours work
Cons
Hard shifts constantly on your feet
Chef. My responsibilities are (Current Employee) –  Biggleswade1 July 2017
Really good place to work!nice staff, life is good there no one is shouting on you, kitchen are very strong,everyone like a family !!! Enjoying to work there.
could do better
Chef (Current Employee) –  Scotland19 June 2017
In my current branch, it feels as though there are no opportunities for advancement and we are working for little in the way of return or even thanks. As a result, morale is low and we are having to be there of r each other as it feels the management and above are more interested in the profit margins rather than helping the staff and sorting out any ongoing problems.
Nice place
Pizza Chef (Current Employee) –  Ramsgate, Kent9 June 2017
Stuff very placeable to work with, very sociable and funny. Love the kitchen every time very well cleaned and the hygiene of food is alway on top. Busy place during the weekend thanks to the seafront
Good team orientated place
Pizza Chef (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 May 2017
Enabled me to gain many skills while being there however management changed a lot. Staff all friendly and welcoming , good trainer and good chance to move up a level
Good
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Street, Somerset12 April 2017
Good pay and hours,however management isn't very good. Hourly can improve as you can work your way up from chef to senior chef to head chef. good team work.
Very good
Chef (Current Employee) –  Newquay, Cornwall5 April 2017
exellent staff , exellent hours i have learened very fast , there is not hard part about it it is very easy going, everyone is so frienly and the food is great
Pros
free pizza
Cons
no cons
great place to work
Chef (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear2 January 2017
Fun place to work, all the staff are friendly and nice to work with, very hard working team and the managers really look after there staff.
Pros
great food
Cons
late shifts
disorganised and stressful workplace
day - chef/pizzaiola (Current Employee) –  Norwich23 May 2016
a typical day consists of being expected to do other peoples jobs as well as your own, very rarely will you get a break if on a shift over 6 hours or more, especially if you work in the kitchen. I've learnt to work more on my own and work harder under pressure and also that their isn't much opportunity for progression in this job. the management are very dishonest and will tell you what you want to hear to your face but will do whatever they want, they are very unorganised, right the way up the ladder. I've met some great people working here and it is a pleasure to work as a team with most of them, i would say that the people working here are probably the best thing about the job. the hardest part of the job is working on a busy evening running around and trying to find stuff and keep up with demand in such an unorganised place.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long unsociable hours
Productive, fun work place
2nd Chef (Former Employee) –  Carmarthen, WLS3 September 2015
I learnt a lot from working in Pizza Express, I met a lot of nice people, it's a great job I've seen workers climb up the ladder from waiter to management fast and Pizza Exeess supports you with your learning.
Pros
Free Lunches, free drinks
Productive and fun working
chef (Former Employee) –  London, ENG19 April 2015
In pizza express is an very hard working day but I learn many kind of dishes and pizza I had a good relationship with my college and my manager.The most enjoyable part of the job was when we had meetings all together and taking about the job.
Pros
Free lunches
good experience
chef (Current Employee) –  Norwich, ENG19 November 2014
nice place to work, work colleagues are friendly and helpful and the managers are easy to get on with
Pros
a
Cons
a
Fun, but don't expect any hours
Chef (Current Employee) –  Preston6 October 2014
Hired for a full tine position, turned down other jobs based on the promises made, now desperately searching for other work.

Expectations can include finishing way past midnight and being back early next day to set up, and being left completely understaffed during busy periods.

The managers make a big deal about the hours being there, but the reality is some weeks your better off on Job seekers. They justify this by telling u it's a big company so their hands are tied, but don't even try to hide the fact their bonus is partly factored by keeping staff working as little as possible.
Pros
Free pizza
Cons
You will not make a living wage
fun workplace
Chef position -Pizzas (Former Employee) –  Reading, ENG31 July 2014
I really enjoyied the time in pizza express,sometimes very stressfull but after the job done i was happy.
Good company to work for.
Pros
free meals
Cons
the Branch was too far from my house
a reasonable environment to work in
Pizza Chef (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, ENG27 May 2014
There are as with any job, pros and cons with this position. The best thing about it is the fact that the kitchen is open, therefore all your skills are on display to the general public. As such the chefs get the opportunity to show people how good they are making food and it gives families something interesting to show the children.
The biggest con I have found in my time here has been the lack of opportunity for advancement. Being stuck in the same position for several years can be fairly draining psychologically and there are few opportunities for adequate training or promotion, so it can be very difficult to forge a successful career in this line of work.
Pros
free lunch on breaks
Cons
Long hours, unfixed hours, frequent high pressure situations
Fun place to be and work.
Pizza chef (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, SCT23 September 2013
Fun place to work. Learned how to organise myself and others so we can work well together. The management are fair and encourage you to work to your best. Staff are great and all help each other as part of a big team. The hardest part is probabley doing the paper work and the most enjoyable part it working when busy and talking to customers.
Pros
Free pizza and meeting new people
Cons
Working late nights and unsocialable hours.
Productive, Fun workplace
Senior Chef (Former Employee) –  Bath, ENG9 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my time working for Pizza Express, the atmosphere withing the kitchen was fantastic. The working conditions were brilliant, we had all the most modern and sophisticated equipment within the kitchen. Unfortunately as with any job in kitchens the hours were very unsociable.
Pros
free lunch, excellent atmosphere
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Pizza Express Reviews by Location