Pizza Express Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

Disgusting management, ops managers
Asistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwickshire15 September 2018
Stay away from this place, it’s a joke really. I worked here for 2 years, the worst job I ever had. No appreciation at all, upper management are a joke and they really do talk to you like dirt!! Disgusting
great place to work
September Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wembley4 September 2018
great team
lots of learning about finance food safety
great management
budget expectation is not achieve
you have lots of freedom in running your place
A big mistake
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Warwick4 September 2018
Joining Pizza Express was a big mistake. As an assistant manager, I was paid £20k for 40 hours a week.

I found that I was working 45-48 as I felt bad leaving the staff and handover manager if it was busy, you'd have great difficulty trying to claim these back from area manager as it "expected as a manager" to quote his words.

Head office gave very few hours for you to put into the business and they had unrealistic expectations.

I lost my holidays after coming out of training as I was transferred to my base restaurant another, where the managers there already had holidays to take (despite them having had the entire holiday calendar year to have taken these before my arrival). This cost me around £450.

On the upside, the foods very nice and they offer a pizza to all staff on shifts longer than 4 hours.

Waiters can also make a killing on tips, often making more than their wage. However, managers are excluded from the tips - often meaning you were walking out with less than your waiters and pot washers (I kid you not!)
Pros
Free meals, nice food
Cons
Long hours, no tips for managers, working over your salary hours, lost holiday days, unrealistic expectations, short staffed
A loving and caring place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol7 August 2018
Pizza Express is a company that offers a fabulous work life balance, really cares about it's employees and spends time and money investing in training. My only complaint is the low wage for management positions, if you paid more you'd be slaying the whole industry because it's such an enjoyable place to work but the wage for Assistant Manager's simply isn't competitive.
Pros
Free food, great work life balance, simple straight forward systems
Cons
Pay uncompetitive with the rest of the industry
Not a good company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Uk6 August 2018
Worked there for over a year as an assistant manager on a basic salary on a 45hr no over time bonus don't happen and people higher then you don't care as long as they see money the amount of discuss that they do kill your overall sells and your management higher then you will tell you to cut staff want here no where to cut. I won't go back and trust me don't apply
Pros
Staff food (just pizza)
Cons
All of the above
A good role to develop skills.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Great Portland Street Station8 May 2018
Pizza express is a good place to get trained and build a strong skill set for managerial position. Your manager is always there to delegate jobs advise you for the support of the business.
Pros
Free meal on shift
Cons
Long hours with no balanced life
Well structured company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Uk13 April 2018
I worked for pizza express for 2 years, in thus time I learnt how fantastic its infrastructure is. It perfected the internal communications and information department. Training programme was good, salary was average not the best not the worst
Pros
Free food, able to have a work life balance, great internal comms
Cons
Gain weight from pizza
Terrible place to work!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Falmouth, Cornwall20 February 2018
Don't work here, problems with management, poor work life balance, just a bad company in general! Long hours, not appreciated, staff food not nice, never get bonus
Work and have a fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Brent Cross Station, Greater London19 February 2018
Our day at work has to be productive and also fun. We have to be the second family because we are together more than with our families. It is important to find the place where you fit.
Avoid at all costs!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Falmouth26 January 2018
Terrible management, terrible training. Managers talk to you like dirt. The ASM job is boring because store managers won't give you any responsibilities! I was here for 6 months and hated everything about it!!
Pros
Pizza
Cons
Unfair and disrespectful area Manager
Okay
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Kent3 January 2018
Job was alright, full of politics which is never fun. Power tripping managers, as well as an expectation to work more than your contracted hours unless there was someone to cover your days off. Little to no recognition from upper management.
Good
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedford, Bedfordshire2 January 2018
Lovely company to work for. Treat their staff well and like they matter. Friendly, fun to work environment. Good hours good benefits for staff. Lovely place.
energetic and satisfying
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London10 October 2017
I started off as dishwasher and then onto a waiter and then assistant manager. This gave me the opportunity to grow within the company which inspired me to grow within this industry.
Pros
Benefits including meals
Cons
working late hours
The team enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands16 September 2017
The team work is great.
The enthusiasm of the team and you feel like you are part of a little family when your at work. All look out for one another..
great teams, good atmosphere
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Buckingham, Buckinghamshire14 September 2017
Pizza Express is very hands on as a role from the Restaurant Manager down. The days are fluid, How busy you are and areas that needs support can change in an instant. Be prepared to get stuck in and reap the rewards long term. Plenty to learn and opportunities tp progress.
Pros
free food
Cons
late hours and long hours.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wokingham, Berkshire8 August 2017
PizzaExpress was a really great place to work, everyday was different got to meet a lot of lovely people (customers and staff)
I learnt a lot of my management skills from there
Only benefits..?
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex30 July 2017
Free pizza on shift, discount food and decent waiters.

The company over all aren't bad, the quality of food, ingredients and prices are a rip to customers, and when I worked there, prices increased 3 times. We found an old menu where a basic pizza was £5.95, go on pay £11.95 for the same thing x_x

The FOH team members are great, management dont care about anyone below them, and will work you to the bone for extended durations of time, and NMW. Tips arent worth it in some restaurants, as the discounts PE run will reduce the over all bill and tip percentage.
Card tips are split between everyone but management.

Minimum contract hours is 5, if management dislike you they will only give you 5, if you work hard they will put you on doubles with near no break, days in a row and closes.

Think very carefully if you want your social life to crumble when you start working here.
Pros
team members, discount, food on shift
Cons
management, uncertainty, long hours, no breaks, poor pay and terrible tips
Place to learn
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leighton Buzzard28 July 2017
If you want to learn and develop, this is the place. But get ready to lose a big chunk of your life.
The company reinforces your training. They will help you to become a greater you if you put effort too.
Pros
Knowledge
Cons
Hours
good place to learn new skills
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 July 2017
Started as a kitchen assistant and progressed to management. Never dull moment but always busy. Good if you enjoy being social and work hard. Good overall experience
Pros
free meals
Cons
constant change over of staff
Meet loads of great hardworking people
Deputy Assistant Manager and Holding Manager (Former Employee) –  Preston30 June 2017
Enjoyed my time working for PizzaExpress. I will very much miss working with loads of great hardworking people, that I had a pleasure of working with for over eleven years.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Long unsocialable hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pizza Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Pizza Express Reviews by Location