phs Group

phs Group Employee Reviews

United Kingdom345 reviews
Featured review
phs Group selected this as a representative review
I have been working for the Antrim depot for a couple years and enjoy it. This has been the best job i have had. Starting early and finishing afternoons is great. You are kept busy to which the day goes quick. The office staff are pleasant people and always are helpful if you have issues, they will address rapidly.
The drivers are deadon and you have a bit of crack which is good in a workplace as this is where you spend most of your days.

There is overtime available which is great if you have a family especially coming up to Christmas.

I am a driver so I usually am on the road around 6am, when I complete my jobs then I head to depot and reload my van for the next day, I normally am home for 3 which is class and If I want overtime then im still home before most people I know.

I would recommend anyone to apply for a job if theres ever one going because they all a great bunch of people to work for
Pros
Van home, overtime if you want it
20 May 2019
Hey, thanks for leaving a 5 star review. I would agree we are very busy at phs and we do this for our customers as they are at the center of our business. It’s great to see you would recommend phs to anyone. Thanks again.
Working at Phs was very stressful made worse by the Management in particular one Manager if you go through difficult times they will NOT support you I was just told I could not go home to get my medication so had to suffer
Pros
Food
Cons
Stress
9 July 2020
Hi, thanks for leaving a review. Sorry to hear you've had a poor experience with a member of the management team. This is not a regular occurrence at phs and we do not promote putting colleagues in to to stressful situation.
If you would like to discuss this further please contact hrgeneral@phs.co.uk confidentially so that we can investigate further.

Thanks
I loved working for phs early starts early finish management was great very supportive great work mates definitely recommend phs great company to work for
Pros
Pay and working hours
9 July 2020
Hey, thanks for leaving us a 5 star review. Its great to see you enjoying your job at phs and sure many others are too. Your right our hygiene drivers are well supported by the operation centre teams to complete the daily jobs. We are always looking at more ways to get a better environment to support our hard working teams. Thanks again for the review. you are an asset to the phs brand.
Loved the job from start to finish had a good work atmosphere friendly very relaxed but sometimes very serious because of the type of work we did was dangerous.
Pros
Relaxing & serious
Cons
Smelly most times
9 July 2020
Hi, thanks for leaving a 5 star review. Its nice to see that you have recognised phs to be a friendly place to be, with a good work environment. Yes we like to make sure that you are always safe when it comes to completing hazardous tasks. Thanks again for the review.
Lack of communication from different branches.Most management are shockingly rude! Staff are over worked and majorly underpaid..forced overtime, don’t want to do overtime?you'll lose you’re job! Long hours zero breaks whilst driving all day!
Pros
Starting early
Cons
Rubbish salary, staff treated really badly, rules broken by management, no work/life balance
9 July 2020
Hi, thanks for the feedback. Its seems like you have been one of the isolated few that is not being communicated to. We have an internal comms strategy that ensures everyone in the business has the right information at the right time. Its available through you handheld device and comes out daily, weekly and periodically. The CEO also makes sure everyone gets involved with the business updates and the weekly blogs.
Yes we do have readily available overtime. This is offered out fairly to ensure everyone has the opportunity. With regards to our salary we are market leading and always look for added benefits to support you to continue with your job.

Thanks again for your feedback. I will ensure the senior leadership team look at this.
So I was with this company for nearly 5 years, I left in March as I wasn't getting help with the job I was doing. Picking up hazardous waste and mixing it with non hazardous waste and stock that had to be delivered to care homes and boots, so that means the stock I was delivering to care homes were Infected., I asked for help everyday but the area manager and mangers didn't care.
All they care about is money don't help with staff.
9 July 2020
Hi, sorry to hear you've had a negative experience hear. Thanks for leaving this information and its surely something that needs to be looked in to further. Could you please contact hrgeneral@phs.co.uk confidentially to discuss this further.
We want to support our people in hazardous and dangerous situations.
I've worked for PHS for approximately 6 months at the Kempston office. The manager is very abusive and constantly uses foul language within the office. I spoke out regarding the abusive behaviour of the manager but instead PHS tried to remove me from the business by offering me settlement amount. However, I declined and due to the coronavirus, PHS used this opportunity to remove me from the business by making my position redundant.
To much work load you are sent all over the South coast pay is not that great and they add more work on you don't get a thank you from manager driving is a lot
Pros
Cons
Have to book bank holidays as you don't get them off automatically
9 July 2020
Hi, sorry to hear you're having a negative experience. We will continue to work to ensure we limit the amount of driving as its in your, phs, our customers and the environment interest. We like to make sure we are productive for our customers to deliver market leading service. Its all about going the extra mile. Yes bank holidays are accrued if you work them but this is now industry standard to ensure we provide great service.
Thanks
Drivers stressed due to unrealistic workload. Minimal support from management. No understanding of practical side of job by management at any level. Service visits expected to be completed to high standard in impossible times. No respect for staff or clients. Poor quality products at high prices. Just a terrible company all round. Avoid.
22 May 2020
Many thanks for your feedback. We've been working hard as a company to support both our staff and our customers during these incredibly challenging times. We constantly evaluate our training programmes, and your comments will be sent to senior management for review.
The building is beautiful and the canteen is amazing ,also great pay but I unfortunately had some real bad things happen to me in my personal life and my mental health was at an all time low causing me to break into tears frequently for a week or so and PHS solution to this was to fire me on the day with no notice or anything , leaving someone clearly already in a fragile state, in financial crisis. It is a shame really as I felt comfortable there in general and feel I would of thrived at the company now my mental state is all back up to balance etc.
22 May 2020
Thanks so much for leaving your comment, and I would like to apologise if you have felt that you did not receive adequate support from your manager. As a company we do provide excellent training to staff on the subject of mental health and wellbeing, which has had a greater emphasis recently during the challenges of covid-19. We have a partnership with Care First, an online resource which is available free of charge, offering immediate information, answers and advice to a range of workplace and personal issues. We also run a monthly 'Health and Wellbeing' forum, to discuss employee issues and to advertise key wellbeing events. Our training team also provide free online resources for staff who feel they need some extra support. Once again I wish to apologise if you feel let down by the level of support given to you. Please feel free to contact our HR department if you need to talk this through, or need some additional support.
Worked for PHS for 10 months at the Bolton depo very small team of just 5 of us in waste management, taking customers calls for the whole of the Uk and Ireland, very fast paced but I liked it, but to many calls and emails for such a small team, was frustrating when certain depo’s wouldn’t get back to you, which then resulted in us not being able to deal with customer queries and complaints
Management was amazing and the other two I worked with they was all so knowledgable about the job there was nothing they didn’t know. Observed they wasn’t valued at all, which was not nice to see as they had worked for the company for years like allot of people there, bigger boss’s clueless didn’t have a clue what they was doing, Bolton depo run amazingly can’t say much for a few others often people put in place and not the ones with knowledge schedulers (not Bolton) they were amazing but schedulers didn’t have a clue what they was doing or knowledge of routes sending drivers on routes often going to the same areas 3 and 4 times a week and driver passing eachother when one driver could of covered that area, this can only lead to allot of wasted time and money for the company
Pros
Bolton depo ans management amazing
Cons
Frustrating
16 April 2020
Thanks for leaving such a balanced review. As a company we work hard to make sure our route scheduling is always energy efficient, whilst accommodating to our customers' needs. We will pass your comments on to our senior management team for review. Thanks again for your review.
Phs dose not look after staff they are just a number and if your face fits it fine your face only fits if your doing 50/60 hours a week ................................................................................
16 April 2020
Many thanks for your comment, and I'm sorry you have had a negative experience with the company. Your comments will be passed over to our senior leadership team for review. Thanks again for your review.
management is kind and supportive, your job roles is easily defined.
The workplce culture is collaborative and working with external suppliers was my favorite part of the job.
3 April 2020
Hi thanks for leaving a balanced review. I agree that management are very supportive at phs and that we are very collaborative and work inline with our values and culture. Thanks again for your review and please stay safe.
The job is an alright job it's just not managed the right way. They have no order. Jobs been left for long because they have no allocated drivers so they take drivers off their given route to do one off jobs. Not very ideal. And your out over your contracted time and you dont get overtime.
19 March 2020
Hi, thanks for leaving a review. We are working really hard to ensure our routes are suitable for our customers. We have a sophisticated route planner that supports with this to help reduce emission to help the environment, whilst also delivering for our customers. I will pass you information to our senior leadership team. Thanks again.
A good company to work for gr8 people to work with only left due to relocating to Torquay Devon. Started of around 6am in the morning and on the way home around 1430. Company van fuel card and all equipment needed for the job .
19 March 2020
Hey, thanks for the review. I agree phs does have gr8 people. We work extremely hard to fun and ensure the values are being upheld. Gr8 to to see you have all the equipment to do your job. Thanks again.
Over the years the company has gone down in my opinion, management has little or no interest in keeping people happy. No advancement opportunities and can be a very stressful job at times.
Pros
Flexible work
Cons
Little or no bonus
19 March 2020
Hey, thanks for the review. Sorry to hear you think there are no careers opportunities. However, over the last 12 months we have promoted a large number of our senior roles through internal progression. We are keen to support anyone to develop through our apprenticeship programmes and encourage development. I will pass your information to the senior leadership team to respond. Thanks again
Your typical day is varied. The people within PHS make the place a fun place to be. Management are friendly and approachable. They are flexible and helpful when able.
Unfortunately no room for progression within the group. Very little appreciation or value for experience/years worked. Quite happy to show you the door so you feel like "just another number".

Office is comfortable, free food onsite is a nice bonus.
16 April 2020
Many thanks for your review, and I agree, the people at phs are great to work with! I'm sorry you felt there was no room for progression in your role. We work hard as a company to provide training opportunities to all staff, whatever their requirements. I will pass your comments on to our senior leadership team for review. Thanks again.
Can be long hours , heavy back breaking work (datashred) scant regard for health and safety. You are just a number they don't care at all about you , although they have "duty of care " by law ! low pay and poor holiday entitlement :- 20 days + 2 extra days after 10 years service, needless to say very very few get that far , I did 17 .5 years and now sorely regret it , it was a quarter of my working life gone . And no further along lifes highway. Don't be foolish like I've been waiting for good pay rises & promotions that never happened. Don't put yourself thru it lifes far to short .
Worked for PHS for a few years. They do not value staff highly and there is very little opportunities to move forward.

They are a good company to work for on a short term as it can be laid back but not somewhere i would advise someone to stay at long term.
Bad management , no structure , no understanding . No help when needed. No communication. Spoke down to. No support in your daily working no breaks allowed and very nasty when you stop for toilet break.
Enjoyed working at PHS, fast paced and competitive but fair. Good management, good team of workers, company car, great bonus incentives and lots if training available.
24 February 2020
Hi, thanks for leaving a balanced review. Good to hear you enjoyed working at phs. We are very fast paced with what we do. Customers and people are our number 1 priority. Thanks again.