phs Group Employee Reviews

Featured review
phs Group selected this as a representative review
Lots of exciting change
Manager (Current Employee) –  UK14 December 2018
I have been with the company only a short time but find it a great place to work. Management are very supportive and caring and there is lots going on as going through some changes..........but changes for the benefit of the company and all employees
Pros
Supportive culture
Service driver
Driver (Current Employee) –  London17 April 2019
You get rewarded for doing a good job. The customers that I work with are always welcoming. Gives great job satisfaction. Happy I moved from my old job.
Pros
Nice people, loads of overtime if you want it
Friendly and relaxed environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  cardiff28 March 2019
Free cooked lunches everyday (and they're decent too!)
A friendly environment to work in, no one breathes down your neck and as long as you have a good work ethic and can complete your workload on time your free to do your own thing, whether that's making a cuppa or grabbing a snack in the canteen.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
repetetive job
To many sheets to cover
Service Driver (Former Employee) –  Camberwell19 March 2019
Horrible company to work with they start you of with a managible work load an then any other driver who couldn't finish there work u get dumped with on top of your work witch will stress u out an Wen u say something it falls into deff ears
Pros
Driver van home
Cons
Up at 3am finish Wen u finish
Sadley i could give only 1 star buts thats being generous.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol17 March 2019
I worked for this lot a few years ago ..if your face dosent fit forget it ..but if you it does well your laughing ..or if your related to the depot manager your really laughing ...the job itself is disgusting and your skin really does crawl at the day ..at least back then there was bonus ..now nothing and ridicules targets ...it was a intresting time working there ..but one i definitely wouldent want to repeat...avoid at all coasts
Pros
Use of van ..thats it
Cons
To many to list
Shocking
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire17 March 2019
Work hard for peanuts

The salary is shocking

The management team are even worse

It’s about time phs stopped paying so little in wages and kept their employees happy

Staff turn around is very high

They expected your all but gave you nothing in return

The new CEO DTS well just another guy thinking he can turn PHS around - he seems ok but he needs to realise he needs his management team around him to support him which they fail to do so in every area
Pros
Non
Cons
Poor pay, bad management
Absolutely Awful
Service Driver (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire26 February 2019
Only started in November 2018 but could take no more so had to leave. They expect you to work like robots with the amount of calls that they give you. All day long it is rush, rush, rush. Since the day I started I have never had a break. As for overtime, you have no choice as you are told you are doing it.
Never worked for a company like it!
Worst Company I have worked for!
AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!
Pros
None.
Cons
To many to mention.
I feel sorry for the drivers
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Caerphilly18 February 2019
I work at the head office in Caerphilly and I have to say I feel sorry for the drivers. Customers complain to them then about to us and we see told just to believe them and escalate the issue regardless of fact. The drivers work so hard and get asked to work weekends not fair head office dont work weekends unless asked to do over time. The stories I've heard about drivers from customers seem unbelievable most days yet the. Same driver has to go back and rectify an no exsistant issue and the customer practically abuses them in their return. Customers treat the drivers like slaves and seeing half the reviews here they feel bullied by management and all thanks to this escalation thing they got goin on. I feel like our drivers need to start carrying chest cameras like the police for their own safety from customers who just keep getting irate because there is not enough drivers to service all the places in the regional areas but why everything is put in their shoulders instead of head office ringing to say the customers we cannot service they we cannot and we are sorry aviod it all is rediculous. I feel like our drivers are being stressed out to the point they do not want to be in their jobs. I've had incidents where customers have refused drivers to leave their site when the needed too because they have different product that needs attending too but tjis driver is not there to that and they call head office asking why so no wander the drivers are feeling threatened when they are held against their will at a customers premsis. Absolutely outrageous please give them chest cameras  more... for their safety at least the drivers will feel safe if nothing less. As for the complaints about speed on the roads I am not suprised they are I'd they are given time sheets that they targeted against to get the job done it's not fair on them at all. Give them the credit they deserve. For working in head office it's not too bad other than the food is rank considering its a benefit of working there. Personal milk gets stolen from the fridge? Why I've no idea but that's annoying and the training is poor people have to wait 6 months to year for rwla training to know how to close a case. There's a lot of butchiness amongst bug group about others who aren't apart of it like its comprehensive school. I also not so long ago had an operations manager at a depot refused to talk about anything as and I quote 'I'm an operations manager I don't talk about this weather its a driver or not' there is 0 care for staff at depots and I seriously think this needs to be addressed or have a HR mrmeber present to remind the managers the drivers are employees with lives and rights and they do not have to be made to feel the may they do becsuse PHS cannot fulfill anything. Operations managers need to be told that they cannot use their title as excuse not to deal with anything otherwise why are they even allowed to be a manager?such an ego on them. Head office now deal with a lot clinical waste mainly from care homes type waste where they cannot get rid of it because again there is not not enough drivers so there are vunrable old people sitting around dirty used pants and pads needles and other type of waste that could be harmful. Phs has bitten off more than it can chew and its best to sell some of the contracts on.  less
Pros
9-5 i hope it improves
Cons
All of tge above
26 February 2019

Thank you for leaving us a response. We are disappointed to read your review and due to the nature of your comments we have escalated your review to senior management with the business areas you have mentioned.
As a current employee we'd encourage you to contact us to discuss your concerns in more detail, you can email feedback@phs.co.uk or contact our HR team. Thanks again for your review.

No communication
Driver wash room (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire15 February 2019
Don’t bother! Complete waste of time, full Mickey Mouse set up. HR doesn’t know what they are doing, feedback is appalling.
My advice, seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
The lot
26 February 2019

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are disappointed to read your comments and have passed them over to our management team within operations and to our HR teams. We wish you luck in the future and thanks again fro your review.

Phs
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Worthing, West Sussex12 February 2019
A company you can if you work hard climb the ladder of quickly. They can identify potential leaders and allow you to take management roles if its something you desire.
13 February 2019

Hi, thanks for leaving us a review. We appreciate your comments. We offer great development opportunities here at phs and conversations with managers can identify this. We wish you luck for the future and thanks again for your review.

Bullying and intimidation culture
Service driver (Current Employee) –  Buckley,9 February 2019
Don't bother management have not got a clue 360 no good bosses don't listen depot run by bullying and intimidation losing drivers all the time working over every day waiting out side .apparently the deppt runs like clockwork...not
13 February 2019

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are disappointed and concerned to read your comments and due to the severity have passed this over to the senior management team within your business area. We take any allegations of bullying very seriously and as a current employee we would encourage you to email feedback@phs.co.uk or contact the HR department to discuss in more detail. Thanks again.

Absolute Joke
Service driver (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 February 2019
The pay is shocking.
Management just as bad.
Routes are ridiculous and make no sense what so ever.
Never treated as a human being more like a work horse.
No knowledge of safety including van condition and working conditions (sanitary waste across floor)
No organisation or help in “training”
Filthy depots, no support in your work.
I would stay well clear of PHS, no chance for progression or mental sanity.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
.. Too many
6 February 2019

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We are really disappointed to read your review especially that you feel there are "too many" Cons and more so that you felt you weren't supported in your work.

Due to the nature of your comments, we will make sure this is passed over to senior management for review. Once again, thanks for your review and good luck in the future.

Place is a joke
Service Multi Drop driver (Former Employee) –  West Bromwich28 January 2019
To Be honest I don't know where to start.
I worked with this company for many years as a service driver. It used to be a fantastic place to work for but now the managers will bully you to get work done. Once you have done your contracted hours, they will try and send you back out to do more work without paying you. You have to do calls in order as your worksheet suggests, which most of the time is impossible.

Customers complain to you all day long about the service, you go and report this to the managers and they don't care.

If you want a job which is hard work, you get lied to all the time and you like doing unpaid hours. This is the job for you. But if you are a normal person who wants to be treated like a human being, do not even go for an interview because what you will be told will be 100% lies
Pros
I made good friends there
Cons
to many to list
31 January 2019

Hi. Thanks for leaving us a review. We are concerned and disappointed to read your review. We have forwarded your comments onto our senior management within your business area. Thanks again.

Gone downhill fast
Service operative (Current Employee) –  North Scotland25 January 2019
I am a current employee with PHS and have been for 10 years. This job use to be brilliant, get an 8 hour route and go and complete it. Sadly that is no longer the case. Now we get an 8 hour route that takes 10 hours to complete. If you cannot complete it and have to send jobs back then you are expected to do overtime. If you cannot do overtime then you are expected to explain to them what you are doing after your 8 hour shift has finished, if they do not like your reply then they try to bully you into doing it. The managers and admin staff never take on what you say. They are not interested in reasons, they just see figures and lines on their screens. The rules change constantly depending on what day of the week it is. The routes that you get allocated by the so-called route allocators are ridiculous. We are expected to repalce sanitary bins at supermarkets and resturants at lunch times which is their busiest times of day. No matter how many times you tell them nothing changes, we may aswell just talk to the door on the office. Sometimes you drive to the same road 3 times a week to carry out your only 3 customers you have in that paticular road. No sense in it what so ever.

We also have what is called the (dummy) driver. This driver (who does not exsist) completes about 200 calls a week. That means tge calls are not serviced but phs are telling the customers the service has been carried out and therfore they have agreed to the terms of the contract inplace with the customer. Drivers are also encouraged to not carry out the services correctly. I myself have been told to tip
  more... bins onsite by my manager so i can save time servicing the customers correctly and then there would be no reason for any omits at the end of the day.

Such a shame as i said originally it use to be a great place to work. Now certain collegues are told by management that they CANNOT talk to certain other drivers. Such bullies and i wouldn't blame anyone for disbelieving me. ENTER THE PHS CORPORATION AT YOUR OWN PERIL!
Pros
Struggling to think of one if i am honest
Cons
Bullying is rife from management, unachievable routes, routing system is laughable.
31 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to share your views. We take any allegations of bullying very seriously and as a current employee we would encourage you to email feedback@phs.co.uk or contact the HR department to discuss in more detail.

Your suggestion that services are not being provided to our customers is of concern and we have therefore reviewed the activities in the Scotland area we can find no evidence that this is the case. Again, if you would like to discuss this further please contact feedback@phs.co.uk

With regards to your comments on our routing system, we have over 1,000 drivers on the road and 90,000 visits being delivered each week, we rely on scheduling software, which is widely used by other service and delivery businesses, to provide the most productive routes as possible. There may be times when a visit on a route does not seem logical and this is when we need our drivers to feedback this information for the schedulers to review. We will speak to the operations centre managers about this.

Thanks again for taking the time to leave us a review.

Shocking company
Service Driver (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire19 January 2019
I am a service driver for phs. I would avoid this company if I was looking into employment with them. The only good thing is you get a van, we used to have early starts ( 5am) now its later 7 am- 8am. The routes that you are given no longer make sense, which you have to follow in order or get pulled into the office asking why it wasn't followed, they have you driving to one area to service a couple of calls, then leave that area only to return to your original area a couple of hours later. which makes no sense as you could save the company time and money by completing the calls in the area all at once. We also have two/three drivers in the same building servicing the same company at the same time, which makes zero sense, you feel like you are chasing you're tail. you tell management and they don't want to know. You also have a 20 minute break you are factored into your route but you never get chance to take it as you are always behind because they do not give you enough time to complete jobs. The traveling times on your paperwork are wrong I mentioned this to the area manager and it just got brushed under the table.
Pros
non
Cons
no break
31 January 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are disappointed that you do not feel your concerns have been addressed. As a current employee we would encourage you to email feedback@phs.co.uk to discuss in more detail.

As you can appreciate we provide a service to our customers and therefore have to be available to visit customers when it is convenient for them.

With over 1,000 drivers on the road and 90,000 visits being delivered each week, we rely on scheduling software and dedicated schedulers to provide the most productive routes as possible to meet our customers needs. There may be times when a visit on a route does not seem logical and this is when we need our drivers to feedback this information for the schedulers to review.

It is a legal requirement that our drivers take a break during the day and a visible break is shown on each route, if you feel you aren't getting the opportunity to take this break, please contact your HR team to discuss further.

Thanks again for your review.

28 January 2019

Hi. Thanks for leaving us a review. We are concerned and disappointed to read your review, especially that you couldn't find any 'Pros' to working at phs. We have forwarded your comments onto our senior management within your business area. Thanks again.

Bad recruitment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire14 January 2019
I currently work for the company in West Yorkshire and I really don't understand the recruitment process. In my opinion the wrong people are getting the jobs.
Pros
Weekends off
Cons
Manager
23 January 2019

Hi, thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We'll make sure to pass your comments onto out resourcing team and management within your area. Thank you again.

dont work here
Washroom service driver (Former Employee) –  Hayes9 January 2019
management are poor talk to staff terribly and demand the earth of you

vans are continuously breaking down, to then be replaced with another broken van

i hacked for a few months before id had enough of how i was treated, and the vehicles supplied.

think someone higher up needs to be kicking some backside
Pros
free coffee
Cons
poor management, bad hours, useless vans
10 January 2019

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We'll look into your comments and forward onto our senior management and fleet team for their attention. Thanks again and good luck in the future.

Best avoided
Washroom operative (Former Employee) –  Wales9 January 2019
Not a great place to work bullying culture from day one, no support from managers. The mentally was if you don't like it there is the door
Which I was more than happy to do avoid them
10 January 2019

Hi, thanks for leaving us a review. We're disappointed to read that you felt there was no support from your managers. We will forward this onto our senior management team to review. Good luck in the future and thanks again.

Productive and fun workplace
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Tamworth18 December 2018
There are not words to say about this place.
You need to be there to understand.
All the staff from there are friendly with new workers and they help you with all you need to understand what you have to do and how.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Shortly hours
19 December 2018

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Glad you felt there were friendly staff and they helped you in your role. We love hearing this. We wish you all the best in the future and thanks again for your comments!

So many drivers have left
Washroom driver (Former Employee) –  Exeter10 December 2018
Phs was once such a great place to work.

Now it is a complete flip.

Just look at the reviews.

I was there over 7 years. First 5 where excellent. But now it's all out of your control and wages went down by 7000!!!!

There's no family at phs now it's a revolving door people in and out all the time. When I joined 7 years ago I was first person there in 9 months. Average driver had been there about 10 years. Now average is about 6 months to a year.
Pros
Early starts
Cons
Too many to list
13 December 2018

Hi, thank you for leaving us a review, we are disappointed to hear your comments so will make sure our management team within Operations see this. We'll ensure to post any feedback from them. Until then, thanks again and good luck in the future.

Awful not logical as they say.
Washroom service man (Current Employee) –  Essex26 November 2018
Everything this company has shown me so far is that every delivery is wrong details, phone numbers postcodes the lot. The maintenance of vehicles is particularly poor I've worked a short time for them and thinking of quiting as there is No progression. Depressing working conditions where people look down on you for being the sani man or nappy man which really grates and gets you down after a while. But by far the worst thing is the fact when you make a mistake they are hot on it. When the company makes a mistake and you try to solve the issue it falls on deaf ears meaning that even if the drivers do come back with updated info nothing gets done about it since people who've worked there long enough know they are wasting thier breath.

Additional points to mention.
Not one route makes logical sense by any means, based on access times, post codes, time taken, location of work, contact phone numbers, actual products that customers don't have?!?!

Not one route is the same meaning your constantly asking oh where's this where's that. When you do work hard and get all jobs completed they still moan that you didn't phone for more work they moan if your late even if your a hard worker it's a joke. Phs. Listen to your drivers or atleast organise a hearing so that issues can be rectified ASAP I have mentioned this to the right people but as you would expect too many chiefs not enough Indians. Best thing for this company to do would be have a customer relations team to speak to customers to see if they still need work or if they even exist. Yes you read that correctly some jobs you
  more... will receive will be to company's they charge for a service which closed down many months ago if not over a year and a half ago in my case.

As this is a review and I have to be fair there is only one positive I can think of and that it is nice you have transport paid for to and from work however with all of the problems and Complete disregard for Logic it overshadows the benefits of this job completely. And is making me want to leave and have no interest in doing the job.

I will say this like with all company's there are good and bad people in every job the people in the office do try thier best to keep everything together but it's made harder by to many things which could be easily solved.
Pros
Transport to and from work paid
Cons
Lots.
28 November 2018

Thank you for sharing your views, it’s really important to us to receive feedback.

We are constantly improving the way we operate.

In response to some of your comments, we are the market leader in UK hygiene services we have around 1,000 drivers on the road every working day completing almost 90,000 customer service visits each week. This is carried out using our fully compliant, high quality fleet. We have recently retained our FORS accreditation which demonstrates our commitment to achieving the highest standards.

All of our routes are created using routing software which is deployed by a dedicated and highly trained team of schedulers. We’re disappointed by your feedback so would be really keen for you to talk to us in more detail, please drop us an e-mail to feedback@phs.co.uk .

Our Drivers are the face of phs and all play an incredibly valuable role in our business and we take account of all feedback. Over the last few months we have improved our recruitment process to allow candidates to join an existing member of the team for an “observation day” and spend time with local teams to get to understand the role fully and start to get to know the business. Full training is provided and new drivers “buddy” with an experienced member of the team until they are comfortable.

Our Operations Centres teams range in size and the teams work hard to foster a team spirit and local community feel.

We recently shared our three year business plan with all of our colleagues via one of our regular live video broadcasts. We record these live calls so please visit our Intranet if you  more... didn’t see the update and to find out more information. Some of our Leadership team will also be sharing the detail of our plan with each of our teams at each of our main hygiene locations between now and the end of the year, it would be great if you take the opportunity to attend the briefing at your site, it will be a great opportunity to share your views further.  less

Ask a question about working or interviewing at phs Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9