Pets Corner Employee Reviews

Don't bother applying
Manager (Former Employee) –  South West15 May 2019
At first, working here seems like the best job, as time goes on you realise it is not.
I like the brand and what they are about and they have certainly gained a customer as I do believe the products are good quality.
However working here is a different story. They tempt you in at the interview by not being honest and transparent, they really need to highlight strongly that sales is the biggest part of your role and that is all they care about. Figures are what they care about and if you don't sell sell sell and get destination up then expect a rude email from management. Even if you sell a product that is "great and small"(pets corner brand) it goes against your destination. Also 6500 in commission is not reachable unless you are incredibly experienced in sales, have great pet nutrition knowledge and only if you work in a busy store.
They also told me in the interview that weekend's were rota'd around and shared, I've worked nearly all the weekends both Saturday and Sunday.
The people are friendly but there is a clique and higher management have their "favourite stores" so expect to be dumped into a store and left to try and run it, then get rude emails from store support when you haven't done something correctly.
The training in this company is fantastic and very interesting so I have no regrets of working here for the free education I received and the trainers are really nice people. This isn't on the shop floor training, it's classroom.
All in all, if you only want a retail job, don't work here. I'd only recommend working in this company if you are doing something
  more... on the side with animals. Don't join as a manager, as they expect a lot out of you for barely over minimum wage. You could work in any retail and earn more money with less responsibility.  less
Pros
Hang out with dogs
Cons
All about sales
not a great place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex8 May 2019
I worked at pets corner as a sales assistant one day a week. where I worked on a Saturday, I had to do shipment where I had to lug over 10 bags of 12kg dog food to shelves for an hour straight. it was really hard work and I was only getting paid £4.20 an hour. I got commission which sounds good but is only a small amount and doesn't make a big difference and doesn't make up for the poor wages. never heard of anyone getting promotions of pay rises for the whole time I worked there. I enjoyed the colleagues as they were really welcoming. I only got a few days holiday. the back room has no chairs or tables to eat so have to make do with what you can find. overall, its an okay place to work.
Pros
nice colleagues, good discount
Cons
little holiday, low pay
Good fun. Rewarding. Enjoyable.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midlands29 April 2019
I’m a sales assistant, I get minimum wage but 3% bonus for turning up and commission on certain items. Love the ethics of the company. Lots of training available. My store team are great (which I guess would make or break the job), haven’t really had anything to do with higher management as my store manager just answers questions/passes on info. There’s always someone at the end of the phone/email so any questions can be answered. Good discount on high quality products. I wish the basic pay was more and if a position comes up for me to stay on full time I would take it.
Pros
Discount. Good team. Bonus. Training.
Cons
Minimum wage (but bonus’). Can be boring on a quiet day.
sales
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fleet, Hampshire24 April 2019
lovely place to work! nice management and supportive staff who engage and come together as a team! lots of training involved but its enjoyable! would recommend!
Very friendly and fun to work there.
Animal Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oulton17 April 2019
I volunteered here as part of my Duke of Edinburgh award. The animals make it a never boring experience and I enjoyed working with the other employees.
Pros
Discount off of the food
Cons
Can get cold as you’re outside all the time
Great values and ethos
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Hale, Greater Manchester12 April 2019
I am in my 5th year now working for Pets Corner , I have so much admiration for what the company stands for in terms of animal welfare , customer care and staff training . I feel so proud to be part of the Pets Corner family . It is rewarding to be able to advise customers on pet nutrition and then to see the changes and improvements with that pet . The quality of training provided has given me so much confidence in being able to help customers and their fur kids .

The company very much has a family vibe , we all help each other and have a friendly voice at the end of the phone . It’s clear to see we all have the same aim , making pets lives happier and healthier!
Pros
Training, support, not the average retailer
Knowledge within the company.
Senior Sales (Current Employee) –  Somerset9 April 2019
Before I started at pets corner I didn't know half as much as I know now.
The training programs that this company set up are incredible with how much you learn which you can then forward onto the lovely customers that come into store.
Having such a wide variety of knowledge with everything in the store, really helps give your customers the right information that they need for their furry friends.
Not only this but we get regular visits from the nutritional training staff and food company owners in store, who can help give us updated information about the products we sell.
This also looks very good on your CV.
Pros
Good training service.
Cons
Wage.
Great standards, fantastic Ethos
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands8 April 2019
Fantastic place to work if you genuinely enjoy animals and nutrition. Stocks British brands and has an amazing attitude towards pet welfare in the stores and from their breeders! Higher quality of products, things you can really get behind. Really caring company, good training programme of a higher standard than I have seen in the industry before. Good support system in the upper management, all very easy to talk to and helpful. One of the nicest pet retailers I’ve worked with.
Pros
Products, Ethics
Enjoyable, fun and friendly feel
Manager (Current Employee) –  Midlands8 April 2019
I have worked at Pets Corner for just over 10 years now and thoroughly enjoy it, hence the long service.

My typical day mainly revolves around customers, going over and chatting to them, fussing their pets (a massive bonus!), helping them with any queries, fitting harnesses, collars etc or talking about their pets diet and individual needs. We have regular delivery days and can typically receive two pallets of stock on our main day which makes the day go quickly! Cleaning is also a big part of it, whether it be cleaning out the animals or cleaning and stock rotating shelves so you must be very hands on.

The training is excellent, there are hundreds of documents on the products and pets, as well as training sessions held regularly off the shop floor and these are very useful for topping up knowledge. We also get regular training emails, videos and documents sent through when a new product comes out which is really useful.
I personally have had no issues with the upper management, and i've found they've been really reasonable when things have happened and definitely work on a culture of helping each other out.

Animal welfare standards are excellent, the staff in store get to choose and visit local breeders - giving them ultimate control over who supplies our animals. They also are very strictly looked after in terms of when they are cleaned out, checked, exercised etc as well as you have full control over selling them so that they are going to the right homes. This area is what drew me to the company in the first place and what has kept me here ultimately, as
  more... I have high standards myself in how I think animals should be kept and sold.

Hours, pay etc I think are all pretty standard to retail. The added bonus compared to my previous retail jobs is I get an hour for lunch instead of half an hour. There is commission on certain products and the ability to earn extra from that, as well as a mystery shopper bonus and we also have our own inter region competition and win some money for that as well as other competitions that are always popping up.

There are other really nice perks compared to other retail jobs too, such as having a nice cup of tea on the shop floor! In my previous employment I wasn't even allowed a cup of water on a hot summers day on the shop floor so having a tea or coffee was a real novelty for me and I really appreciate it now - they even provide the hot drinks too! In the summer we get money to buy ice lollies/ice cream which is a lovely touch and at Christmas our store gets a gift hamper that's full of chocolate, sweets, drinks, crisps etc (even vegan and gluten free so everyone can have something) which again is lovely and does make you feel like part of a family.

The most enjoyable part is definitely talking to the customers and meeting their pets, also working with the other staff - I can honestly say i've made some life long friends (and in customers too!). If I had to choose a hardest part it's probably the delivery days, and this is just because they can be quite tiring if you get a large order - but even they are not too bad!
Pros
High animal welfare standards, Lots of extra ways to earn extra cash, Made to feel welcome, Talking to customers about their pets, approachable management
Good job with good ethics
District Manager (Current Employee) –  East Anglia7 April 2019
Been working for Pets Corner for 4 years and it has been a great place to work.
Team and training driven.
Green ethics.
Opportunities to progress.
Best retailer I have worked for.
Lots of doggos and great customers.
Proud to be different.
Natural products.
Pros
Commision and bonuses and a family values.
Careless and Unpleasant place to work in my experience
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 April 2019
I went in with alot of hope and positivity as the interviewer sold it well. however upon 3months and actually getting stuck in... it actually wasn’t what it was made to seem to be.
Family Feel? Yeah right! Support from managers not really. Training was the only thing that i enjoyed plus talking about customers pets and helping them with advice. Commision is such a battle to get i gave up on it! As was too impossible to do even if you did lots of sales one “non destination” brand would make your store percentage drop alot so it was completey pointless. I agree with all the other employees on here there is better paid and more realiable jobs out there :).
Pros
I loved the dogs that came in and their owners were lovely
Cons
Long hours, too much work, pay is disturbing
Fun workplace and great training schemes
Manager (Current Employee) –  Somerset5 April 2019
I have been with Pets Corner now for 3 years and cannot fault there natural and ethical approaches to the pet industry. The training schemes are fantastic- you go on classroom style training sessions on every section in store- from Dog Food Nutrition to Wild Birds.

All staff that work in other stores are fantastic and friendly as well.

You get to meet some great customers and get to know their pets.

Puppy hour is a fantastic scheme to allow puppies to grow in confidence.

There are plenty of opportunities to progress through the company as well.

The only thing I find hard is the long hours, although you do get an unpaid hour lunch. Wage is minimum wage, and any higher up roles do not get paid that much more, but there are opportunities for you to earn bonuses.
Pros
Discount, training, great staff members, high quality products
Cons
Wages
Not a great place to work, too much pressure for what it is.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire5 April 2019
Extremely badly run... useless systems, management are not supportive... alot of bullying from certain higher manegment... seen to much done to other employees... don’t think a “meeting” should leave the employee coming out with a red raw face of tears just saying. Too much pressure and over worked. Pay is not enough. Class roomed training is OK... but expect you to be a proffesional animal expert after one lesson lol.
Pros
Regulars, staff, meeting dogs and puppies
Cons
Pay, work, commison and managers
Great company, supportive management, best ethics in the industry.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  South West England5 April 2019
I love Pets Corner. I love my shop and Pets Corner provide me with the tools I need to help you create the best life possible for your pets.
I have been a Store Manager for over 10 years now and I wouldn’t work anywhere else. The standards of this company are impeccable. The staff training is outstanding, you also have continuous support from trainers if you need a question answered.
Our Regional Manager is AWAYS on the other end of the phone to help. Nothing is ever to much trouble for her.
If you are willing to work hard and show people some of the best products available then you are rewarded. We never force customers to buy products but give them access to some of the best nutrition and products available on the market and in turn educate them on which ones are best for their pets individual needs.
If you are passionate about animals and customer service this is the job for you.
Pros
Quality products, staff incentives, great team, training, animal welfare, company ethics, oh and a great Christmas hamper
Great Company
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheddar, Somerset5 April 2019
Love working with Pets Corner, they believe completely in natural pet foods and the best for your pets, they treat staff all the same. The management are easy to get hold of and listen to you if you have any problems and help with resolving any issues you have.
I haven't ever worked for a company who have such ethics.
The most enjoyable part of the job for me is Puppy hour. We get to see puppies come in and socialise but its not about that, its about the fact we get to watch them grow up into adults and keep a great relationship with their owners, it is very rewarding working for Pets Corner, I don't think I will ever leave.
Pros
Family based
Great people to work for and with.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire4 April 2019
I have worked for this company for a few years now and I can only compliment them on the family feel.
You are not just a number.
There arent many CEOS who visit staff and actually know who they are.
The company is a family unit there is always help and advice avaliable if you need it.
There are plenty of training sessions to learn the values of good animal nutrition and care.
Plenty of lovely customers to help as well as lots of furry friends to make.
The ethos is to educate customers to give animals the best possible lifetime care that you can.
Opportunities to progress are there for staff who want it wages are good with overtime avaliable if staff want it.
Upper management are amazing and always efficient and helpful with any problem. No matter how small or large.
Pros
Great company, Lovely customers
Cons
None that I can think of
Excellent company to work for
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Hereford, Herefordshire4 April 2019
I have worked at Pets Corner for 5 years now, I started as a Senior Sales Advisor, and I am now a district manager for the company.
I love working for Pets Corner due to the people I work with, from store all the way to head office,
The ethics of the company are fantastic, they believe in animals and pets first, also caring for the environment.
Fun, friendly and exciting place to work
Senior Sales Regional Rover (Current Employee) –  Hampshire4 April 2019
I started working for Pets Corner on 27th March 2019 as a Senior Sales Regional Rover. In this role, I cover all of the stores in my region that need management cover. I see this as a really exciting opportunity to visit all of the different stores and work with loads of different team members, and I definitely think it helps when you're trying to learn new things as I can pick everyone's brains! It also helps that every store is run the same, with the same products and things in the same place, so it never really feels like I'm in a different place apart from the team and customers :)

I've met some of the loveliest people here. As you can expect, we're all animal mad so we all have that in common, but everyone seems to share the same down to earth nature and values as me which appeals to me very much.

I've had daily training from my District Manager which I've found really interesting and enjoyable. I've already been booked in for my first classroom training session on Nutrition which I'm looking forward to next week! Everyone is always so willing to help and I feel that I can phone any store for help if I ever need it!

The only part of the job that is reasonably hard, is learning about all of the amazing products Pets Corner have to offer, but this is something that comes with time and I've already picked up so much.

I've found the company to be very flexible when it comes to days off and holiday. As long you give enough notice, managers are easy going and happy to accommodate your needs, especially under special circumstances.

The most enjoyable part of the
  more... job for me is undoubtedly the puppy cuddles! and making the customers smile!  less
Pros
Great people, exciting things to learn, good discount
Great place to work!
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire4 April 2019
If you are looking for an easy-going job where you can talk about animals and feel proud with what you're doing on a daily-basis, then this is the job for you!

A normal day in the life of Pets Corner would be, fitting a few harnesses, talking to customers about what they should feed their pet (and being honest with your answers), cleaning, cuddling a few puppies here and there and the occasional chin wag.

The training you receive is beyond what any company I have previously worked for offers, you get classroom trained on almost all products that you sell in the shop.

The only issue that I have with the job itself is the wage you are paid, which is minimum wage, and even when you progress it's not much better than what you were originally on. However, you do have opportunities to earn more with attendance bonuses, commission, and mystery shopper bonuses, which you can receive every month.

The company itself is very 'family' focused, and you genuinely feel like you're part of something bigger rather than just a name. They are really ethical, in terms of animal welfare, the advice that is given to customers, and looking after the environment.

In terms of management, everyone is easy to speak to and to get a hold of, you can get a hold of pretty much anyone in the business, no matter how high up they are. Managers themselves, are again the best that I have worked for, they treat you like actual people and they are organised and efficient, and working for them is a pure delight! You are not told to force a product down a customers throat, but to be honest with your
  more... advice and suggest what you truly think is suitable, and so there isn't much pressure on you if you do your job correctly.

The hardest part of the job, is probably hearing stories about suffering pets from the customers themselves, although it's hard to hear, there is usually something we can do to help them.
Pros
Ethical business, feels like family, opportunity to earn bonuses
Cons
Minimum wage
Fab company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Uckfield, East Sussex4 April 2019
Coming up to my 10th year with the company and look forward to many more years! Always been very good to me and I very feel respected and appreciated here :).