Pets Corner

Pets Corner Employee Reviews

United Kingdom171 reviews
I worked at Pets Corner for nearly 5 years full time and part time. I really enjoyed the small environment of the shop and 3 members of staff I worked with, it made the job more intimate and able to make great friends! The customers really get to know you and you get to know them due to the small environment which is great! However ‘converting’ people off food onto Pets Corner foods wasn’t for me. I agree with the quality of the foods but it really put people off returning when getting pestered every time. However, I learnt a lot working at Pets Corner and would really recommend them to a friend
District/area managers were awful - bullying staff and making them feel like they weren’t useless at their job.
Working 21 days in a row is not acceptable - to then have one day off and work again for another week.
It starts out as a really nice place to work but as you settle in and get used to the company you realised how badly they treat you as a staff member. They dont care about you and they don't look after you. The pay is minimum wage and the benefits are terrible. You dont relise how much you really have to do until you have been in the job about a month. The management are the worst part.
I was a shop floor manager at Pets Corner for over a year and trust me that was more than enough time to become sick of the company and it's fake values. Head Office expect you to turn up 15 minutes early (unpaid) to put in tills and switch on lights and then stay as long as needed after hours (also unpaid) to deal with customers as we're not allowed to kick people out at closing time. Even if you have no customers at closing you still have to wait until dead on closing to be able to cash up and count tills (another 15 mins unpaid) otherwise it gets flagged at head office!

I stayed 45 minutes after closing with a customer one time and when I let the Regional Manner know I was told 'That's what it means to go the Extra Mile as an employee but you won't be paid for it'.

Every day you are doing at least 30 minutes of unpaid work, if not more and as management when you have new staff that have limited access on the Till you are unable to leave them or are constantly having to stop your lunch break to do refunds, exchanges and to discount products which again you don't get paid for!

The wage is barely above minimum wage even for management, not even earning £19000 to run the shop, do all stocktakes, check in and be responsible for all deliveries, set the minimums for the whole store and 'manage' staff who you can't even send home without permission when they are ill!

Higher management bully you into trying to achieve impossible targets, when you fail you get warnings even though your team has worked incredibly hard, with everyone doing their best. When you succeed you
 - more...
Pros
Cons
Long hours, awful pay, regional managers, area managers, unpaid work, head office, everything apart from some staff and customers
They love to preach about ethics and animal welfare when all they really care about is money. If your store stocks animals and 1 is ill they will put off going to the vet as a last resort to save themselves money that they love to rake in from pushing staff to sell commission products. You are constantly undermined by a useless, lazy and arrogant HQ who couldn’t care less about you as an individual just what sales you can bring to the company
Pros
If you love being bullied into extra hours, staying late to fix constant issues, then work for pets corner!
Cons
Every single thing
After being a manager for 5 years at Pets Corner all I can say is that I am appalled at how they treat their staff. When I started I thought the comapny was great,they always talk about how you get treated like family but actually they treat you like rubbish. As a manager you can't send ill staff home, can't send disrespectful staff home for the day and you are constantly undermined by higher up. No matter what you do it is never good enough and you never get praised but they are very quick to criticise any tiny mistakes. No one listens to your concerns and problems and they don't really care about you at all, they just pretend.
They make out they are a big family company but all they seem interested in is making as much money as they possibly can.An example of this is say you came in for a toy for your dog I then have to convience you to buy an expensive bag of dog food as well even if its not what you wanted. The pay is terrible for what they expect you to do and you are no more a manager than what you think. You don't have any say over your shop you are just there as an underpaid supervisor. You can never get hold of upper managment when you need them. They are more interested in hiring children so they don't have to pay them very much
Typical day would be counting tills in, tidying the shop up a bit and opening for customers, then its all go! Talking to customers in aisles, making product recommendations and getting sales in. I learned a lot about nutrition while working here and their training programme (while massively inconvenient due to travel times) was so thorough.

Management seriously lets this company down, you will be sent snarky emails throughout the day, blamed if price changes weren't actioned the previous day, even if you weren't in! The audits will make you sweat through your shirt because they are so thorough, I understand why but its so nerve-wracking.

The culture is obviously different in every store, my store started out amazing, very peace and love but it quickly turned sour with a lot of name calling privately and bullying behind the scenes. The hardest part of the job was sometimes getting up for work when you've received abuse from your manager for not putting away a wet floor sign the night before.

I loved the good parts, talking to customers, visual merchandising, all the learning but a few bad apples really do let this company down.

Discount is a bit meh, 35% on toys, bowls etc but 25% on food. The commission structure seemed to always get smaller and smaller but if you were on your own loads you could make an absolute fortune. Mystery shop bonus is also given but can be hard to achieve a perfect score as the expectations are so high.

You will have very little time outside of work as full time staff are required to work ANY 5 days of 7 and I was once put in work for
 - more...
Would recommend if you like animals, I had lovely experiences with customers and the job had good benefits. I didn’t work there for long due to personal reasons but was sad to leave and enjoyed my time there.
I really enjoyed interacting with the customer and there dogs when they came in the shop. I liked feeding the animals and getting them to be more tame so they could go to new forever homes. I struggled sometimes with the discount codes in the cash register.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Pets Corner?
Although the discounts for staff are brilliant, I felt the pay could be higher, especially for senior sales and store managers.

However the ongoing classroom training, team morale and lovely customers make PC a really addictive company to work for.
The specific store I worked in was changing from a different company to a Pets Corner so was going through some teething issues which was hard but it got better over time.
The company place a lot of importance about going the extra mile for the customer, so talking to them and helping them as much as you can! At first this can seem like a lot of effort for every customer, especially when its busy but you really get to know your regular customers (human and dog)

You're also rota'd on to training sessions roughly once a month to learn about the products and the how to interact with customers most effectively.

My area manager was extremely supportive even when I (reluctantly) handed in my resignation, thankfully, I had no serious issues while I was there but I felt that if I had a serious problems it would be dealt with and I would receive help and sympathy from all managers and staff!

I really would recommend applying for a job here if you love animals, it is the best part of the job, especially for a Saturday puppy hour!!
very low wages- minimum for everyone
no recognition for staff members

little mental health understanding

CEO of company is terrible

do not recommend
I have been at pets corner for around 5 months now and so far I have really enjoyed it. Sometimes the wages aren’t the best as I’m salaried rather than paid hourly, however with the opportunity to do lots of extra hours and earn conversion commission and a reliability bonus, it really boosts my wage.
My store colleagues are the best bunch of ladies I could wish to work with and higher management have always been helpful and usually approachable. The only downside is covering for other stores and having to travel over 100 miles away for training which I wasn’t informed about in the interview but on the bright side that means more commission and the training is fantastic with all hotels and fuel costs paid for. I just wish they’d put a bit of money towards wear and tear on my car for travelling a lot. Overall I’d say pets corner is a good place to work if you’re ok with working under occasional pressure, have exceptional customer focus and are willing to travel.
Quality branding, they talk the talk on ethics, environment, development, innovation and customer service. As with many businesses walking the walk is a little more difficult to achieve but I believe they’re really trying.

Training is excellent. Customer satisfaction guarantee policy is excellent. Shop floor standards and technology also excellent.

Shop team and management in my store were great, sadly Area Manager was an unpleasant, patronising, unapproachable character. Never learned a thing from them nor got one ounce of motivation or appreciation for a good job done
It was an alright place to work and at first I loved it there but don't apply for this job unless your customer service skills are exceptional because as soon as they find someone to replace you who is better than you they will. You don't get a chance to improve your skills and the time to learn everything about the products is very short
Brilliant company to work for family run all though expanding fast and some of the family friendly side of the business may be lost which would be a shame
Lovely place to volunteer when wanting to work with animals
Good customer service practice and nice managers

Love the diversity of the things we do on a daily basis
A typical day here would include feeding and cleaning the animals/reptiles, setting up and monitoring puppy hour, jumping on the tills when needed and recommending products to customers. There's a lot to learn about all the products which would probably be more manageable if you worked a few days+ per week, but it was so enjoyable meeting all the dogs that customers brought in and talking to them about their pets. I found the hours quite difficult as a lot of the time you would struggle to find something to do and I found the training process quite inconvenient as I was only taught in little bits and pieces and not very often, so it could be difficult trying to help customers sometimes when you weren't sure what to do, but the staff and managers were so friendly and supportive with everything and it did feel like they were a family. The pay and discount could be better but it's not too bad. I could also imagine it being quite difficult trying to adjust hours etc.
I Started at Pets Corner part-time around May 2019. I applied for originally a Supervisor position but I couldn’t full-fill the hours due to having children. I have to say that there is a lot of nasty-ness in this company and the managers have there pets who talk all the time, all they do is hire people constantly and when they have a replacement they fire you. Even though you do your job well there is an area manager who’s not to be trusted and who is a real nasty cow.
The best part about working for pets corner is the people you meet, the customers are amazing and usually willing to learn and you will hopefully make long term friendships with your colleagues.