Pets Corner (UK) Ltd Employee Reviews

Brilliant work place that will build you up for greater careers
Sales assistant advisor (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset30 September 2018
Working at PC is brilliant. The staff are like a family and are always there to support eachother, including management. It is a nice refresher to be working in a place that really cares about its staff and the customers.

Classroom training is a great way to get staff engaged, meet others that work all around the country and of course, learn about the latest products and animal welfare. Also you get paid for a full day! Even if the training ends early! The information learned is provided by professionals that really listen to your input and understand your life on the shop floor, as many have come from sales assistant jobs themselves. All information is a big help on the shop floor, meaning that the staff are able to help a customer regardless of the problem.

Destination products are what we get commission on, however, staff are determined to get customers on the right products suited to their pets, even if this means not selling a destination product. One of the highest selling brands in my store is one we do not get commission on, it is sold because it benefits so many of our customers and we get so many great reviews from it.
The staff do not force these destination products down customers throats, we advise and explain the benefits of foods that are all natural and healthy for pets, however it is always the customers decision.

The only downside is the pay as it is minimum wage, however my contracted hours are only one day a week, but when requested, I was able to work full weeks, and sometimes in different stores, meaning that I was able to meet more lovely
  more... staff members and customers around the area. Management really look out for people like me and are really supportive when I need extra hours. I have been working here for a year and I couldn’t imagine a work place better than Pets Corner. I am due to leave for travelling and university soon and I am very saddened that I will have to leave. However, I have made friends that will last a lifetime, and bonds with customers that are unrivalled.

Thankyou Pets Corner
Pros
35% off instore, staff and higher management that treat you like family
Cons
Minimum wage
Unprofessional & badly managed
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom27 September 2018
On first impressions of the company it sounds great. Your told your going to be on minimum wage which doesn’t seem so bad, as your going to gain lots of great commission in store by selling products, mystery shops and audits. Unfortunately this is not the case. During my time working here they just made all of these bonuses harder and harder to get, and the stores flow of customers will never get you commission so that you are on a liveable wage. For example my monthly bonuses was about £10 a month.

The members of staff in store are fantastic, however the same cannot be said about the management of the company. Area managers don’t have time for you, and staff higher up. The company is ran by someone who does not care for his staff, he is just interested in making money. If you compare prices to pets corner to the ones in pets at home you’ll find a lot of product selling for twice the price in pets corner. They say this is to cover the training costs, however the training just runs down companies like pets at home, and they only focus on Great and small products, that is part of the pets family company. Also whilst I’m on the subject of the company owner he is also very unprofessional, so much that during Brexit he sent an email around to all the stores saying how bad it would be if we chose to remain

Please do the right thing and do not work here, your employment will be miserable, and you will be expected to cover many stores, even ones that are a drive away, due to the staff turnover being so high. They will cover you petrol costs, however they won’t take into consideration
  more... the time it takes to travel and the petrol payout won’t cover the costs.  less
Pros
N/a
Cons
Management, pay & commission
unprofessional
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth2 May 2018
At first seems like a wonderful place to work but soon becomes apparent that if management doesnt like you, they do everything in their power to make your life miserable.
Pros
comission
Cons
poor management
The Pets Corner family....!
senior sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkshire12 March 2018
Family ethos from the outside but once your in working for them its a totally new story. You invest more into the job than you get paid for, with weekly pressure to provide cover for other stores on your day off due to a very high staff turnover rate. Not a good balance with work/home life. Low salary and suited more for part timers (2 days a week max)
Pros
35% discount on products
Cons
expected to travel across the UK for training, low salary, rota's including working 9 days or more is common
lovely customers, too much pressure and unprofessional attitudes from management.
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windlesham, Surrey13 November 2017
Day to day in PC working with lovely shop staff, many nice customers who want to have a chat about their dogs/cats/rabbits etc and I genuinely enjoy helping them.
However, higher management make working here miserable with their constant and unneeded criticisms and inability to understand that what they are asking of us is unreasonable and often inconceivable. No issues are dealt with accordingly, as staff we are left not knowing whether we are safe in our job role, although it is preached that we are treated as family. this is not true.
Now all of our 'benefits' have been cut we make below minimum wage.
Not a career job, don't let them break you.
Pros
Lovely shop staff and customer relations
Cons
Management are truly awful, ignorant and unprofessional
The company do not stick to their own ethos
Senior Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ditchling, East Sussex25 October 2017
Worst place I have ever worked. The area management for Haywards Heath is absolutely awful. They left me running a shop after 2 days with no proper training . Madness. There is a rodent problem in the store I was put in it was smelly , the management didn't seem to care even though the stock was been damaged and eaten by said furry critters.
They force feed destination products telling you to sell their own particular brand even if the customer can't afford , when they don't buy you get criticised for not selling it right, even after only being there two days!

Don't get sucked in to their rubbish when trying to sell the job to you. They tell you that you get all this wonderful training and they are the only firm that do it. It's rubbish.
Pros
Met a few nice people (management not inc)
Cons
Long hours, not enough breaks! On your feet all day.
productive
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Oulton Broad17 October 2017
was a very good fun environment met a load of new people, gave me good opportunities to be able to be more confident and speak to the public, Overall had a good time there learning a load of new things
Pros
show me what work is really like
Cons
really hot when working outside
Work alone and standing for long periods
Management (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 September 2017
The job is ok however you are standing all day from 8.30 till 6 as most of the time you do not get a lunch break! The Rota is very biased if you are related to the people writing the Rota so you find yourself working more weekends etc. Do not like you selling "rubbish" food even when you get shouted at by customers. No holiday allowed at Christmas and you cannot be sick/have a family emergency as you will not get time off!
Cons
Long hours. Standing long periods. Work all around xmas.
Very poor management
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Essex21 July 2017
I loved my job when I first started. Great if you like animals. I learnt lots about nutrition and animal care. After about a year we had a change of regional manager and it went downhill from there. In-store training stopped, Rotas were done at last minute and alway a mess, you are expected to work several days I a row without a day off. If management dont like you, you get ignored, constantly moaned at from head office and generally no support. I met some lovely people and made some good friends working here. But don't expect to have an amazing career here unless management chose you as their puppet. This is reflected in the fact that the company has an extremely high staff turn over.
Pros
Lovely customers
Cons
Poor management, low pay, long hours
Brilliant company to work for
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London9 July 2017
Very rewarding if you love animals it's so worth it! If you don't love animals it might not be worth the effort and dedication. Pay is a little low but lots of room for progression for the right candidate.
Pros
Rewarding job
Cons
Pay

Want to know more about Pets Corner (UK) Ltd?

Ask a question
Go in with a low expectation and then you wont be disappointed
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 June 2017
Low pay, high expectations and pressure to work longer hours and go over distance to other branches.

ok to work for temporary but don't have any high expectations
Pros
Cons
hours, pay, management style
Don't Bother Wasting Your Time
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire17 May 2017
I previously worked at Pets Corner for about a year, and I cannot describe how awful it is to work for this place.

Often times, you're left struggling as the district managers are given too much work to balance, and the normal shop managers are left with the broken pieces to pick up. By this, I mean that they usually can't get in cover, so people don't get time to actually book off any days or times during the work week.

People were lovely to work with and I had made some very lovely friends - I will miss working with them, however, working here wasn't worth it.

You're practically paid peanuts because why would a very well done business want to pay their employee's good money if they can have every penny to themselves?

It says that they offer £7.50 an hour for the MANAGER job (sales assistants are paid even less!), however, usually if you don't meet sales, then you won't get this money. That is the only way you can achieve earning that amount.

A typical day consists of waiting around in a shop that's freezing cold as the company refuse to pay for decent heating, waiting for customers to come in and buy pet food.

Not to mention, forcing their own brand onto customers, convincing them it's the best as it's more money in the companies pocket, rather than your customers. This can often times result in a customer feeling very pressured and returning the food during the week. So no commission for you or your store.

Commission works on the basis of how everyone in your shop does, not you. Every month, everyone gets a slither of commission based on the items
  more... you force on customers.

However, the customers (majority of the time) were really lovely, and you get great interaction with dogs. The only highlight of the day.

Overall, working here makes you miserable and bored for hours - you're not paid what the company asks of you.

Find a job that pays what you're worth.

This isn't the place.
Pros
People Working for Pets Corner, Customers and their Pets
Cons
Horrific Pay, Rubbish Management, Long Hours, Overworked
Dont waste your time
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berkshire9 May 2017
average day. cleaning stacking shelves more cleaning and deliveries. very strict on their guidelines, you can get a verbal warning for not promoting their food brand even if its not the best for the customers animals.Alot of other things that i cannot state on here
Pros
get to know customers and their animals, some staff
Cons
everything else
Amazing company to work for
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire2 May 2017
I have just finished working three years with Pets Corner. I had the most incredible time. They put you through class room training and you learn LOADS. The staff are lovely and great fun to work with. It can be hard work sometimes but the people there make it worth it. Management have been brilliant they are super understanding of any personal needs or issues you might be struggling with. I had loads of time off and not once for a second did I worry. I was supported the whole way through. They bend over backwards to help you, in my time there they transferred me to 4 different stores on my request. Staff discount is awesome I have a zoo so came in very handy. Think it's brilliant you see the MD not many places do that. Overall I had an amazing time I would 100% go back.
Pros
Staff discount, great people, lots of training
Cons
Long hours sometimes
Welcoming and fun workplace
Animal Carer (Former Employee) –  Oulton Broad Lowestoft4 April 2017
i began working there at the age of 14 voluntary my duties included cleaning,feeding and handling the animals, the staff were very welcoming and I very much enjoyed my time there and working as part of a team
Pros
Working with the animals
Cons
It was only voluntary
Poor wages
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire17 March 2017
This company have an incredibly high turnover of staff & you'll constantly either be working alone, or have an unmanageable workload due to poor staffing levels.
You are lead to believe you will receive a high amount of commission at interview/hiring stage, which is intimately false. They pay below minimum wage, and then advise your bonus is used to make this up, so you only break even to a minimum wage level.
The management are uninterested in training staff, and you are pushed to sell certain products and harass every single customer who enters the store.
Pros
Discount on pet supplies.
Cons
Poor staff levels, inconsistent breaks, little training, poor wages.
Very poor in general
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Ware and Enfield10 February 2017
I work at two different stores part time. The management in store and at higher levels are ineffectual and uninterested. The company fails to give you proper availability of rest breaks and you often work alone. The company want you to harass customers to buy their company products and discourage buying other brands alleging they are poorer quality etc etc.
Pros
Discount on goods
Cons
No or infrequent breaks, not enough staff, training poor and too long after starting with company.
Management don't care.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire22 November 2016
I will really miss some of the girls I worked with and some of the lovely customers. What I won't miss is the constant criticism, never getting praised for anything, nothing ever being good enough for head office. You are talked to like utter rubbish over emails and there is always an impossible list of jobs to get done, with minimal staff available. The pressure to sell what they want you to is massive and if you don't you're in trouble. Training is hit and miss but you're expecting to just get on with it. You definitely have to be in the pets corner clique to get anywhere in this company.
Pros
Some good friends and lovely customers.
Cons
Long days, never really anytime for breaks. Constant moaning emails from head office.
Good part time but bad for full time workers
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  West Midlands16 November 2016
Constant stress to push products and their own brands of foods, your always on the go, run on minimal staff often 1 person all day so no breaks! Can get warning for the silliest of things like not cleaning even if you have or writing off too much stock, but if people still wont buy it at 70% off who will. You never hear from head office unless your in trouble and wait months for a reply from HR. You have to pester every customer into buying their own brands like G&S or More dog food, even if its a old couple who are buying it for a friend or relative your not doing your job if you don't change their mind. Then you get moaned at for not helping cover other stores that are short staffed, even when they are like 100+ miles away from you...no thank you. They do offer basic training which is biased to there own brands and you get a very poor commission system which is based on there foods again. If your ill you would think that you have died with constant phone calls as to why your off and don't bother if you have kids, the amount of times my staff have been told off because they need to look after their kids is a joke to the company. the only plus to the company is you make good friends but I'm here to work and earn good money, where as pets at home pay almost twice the amount to do the same job titles. If it wasn't for the fact I cant get another job because you cant progress your career with the experience gained I'd be long gone but I'm thinking of stepping down to a sales assistant somewhere else its that bad!
Pros
Good friends made, staff discount
Cons
alone working, bad pay, stress, your a number, they dont care
Great employer
Manager (Former Employee) –  Canterbury28 July 2016
Lovely company, really dedicated to the welfare of animals and educating owners as well as being a business to make money. Great opportunities available, fun place to work.