Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Great First Job
STORE COLLEAGUE (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 July 2017
Great first job to have with constant work to be done so that you are never sat twiddling your thumbs. Be preopared for a wide variety of customers and no day is the same.
Fun workplace for those wanting to learn about animals!
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Hampshire23 July 2017
Overall, PAH is a brilliant place to work if you want to progress in the field of animals. There are lots of benefits and it is very team orientated.

However, every pay day I had problems with the payroll not paying me the right amount, the managers said they were sorting it but did nothing so I had to, as I was down £300 one month!

Some managers I worked with did tend to make up their own rules when they saw fit - sometimes felt picked on by one manager in particular but I don't feel that is a reflection on the company at all as you don't get on with everyone in this world!
Pros
benefits, bonus, animals, fun
Cons
payroll, unfair managers
Friendly working environment
Floorg Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall19 July 2017
Clean and feed pets, help unload stock and stack on shelves, identify customers needs, hardest part would be cleaning pets in the morning but is only for a short amount of time before the shop opens
Cons
Physical job
Work Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Walsall16 July 2017
My work experience here was amazing. I really enjoyed working with the animals and I would love to work there again! The staff were very friendly and helpful and I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Near many shops.
Cons
It was far from home.
Brilliant.
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury14 July 2017
I loved working at Pets at Home, even though it was only for a short time. The other employees are great and very welcoming, and the customers are also very friendly. The animal care and general hygiene is fantastic, and you can clearly see the love for animals they all have. If i could have continued to work there i would have.
Pros
Great holiday policies and great training
Cons
I worked a lot more hours than i was supposed to, but that was mostly my fault for taking on too much in order to make people happy.
bullying in warehouse
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire13 July 2017
so much bullying and the company do nothing to help. Their solution is to reward the bullies and sack the person being bullied for complaining about it
Fun and Great for all pet lovers
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  UK13 July 2017
A Great company to work for who truly care about pets.
Great Family feel in stores where you will learn a phenominal amount about all things pet including pet nutrition which when you learn about will be gobsmacked at how bad some big name brands are for your pet. You will develop a keen passion for trying to help every pet live a happy healthy life utilizing your knowledge where you can.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant /C-SQP (Former Employee) –  Northampton13 July 2017
typical jobs list
working stock from warehouse to shelves
serving customers on the till
selling pets/ fish
cleaning pets/ fish
tidying shop in the evening ready for following day

I learnt all about pet welfare and customer service and how the company works. Workbooks are given to new colleagues to complete pay rise given once second lot of workbooks are completed

Management are wonderful but there are some that can be quite strict, 'it's work not a hobby'

colleagues get on well with each other, can sometimes be a bit of trouble but it generally gets sorted out quite quickly - 'We're All Ears' rep to speak to in confidence.

Hardest part of the job- when pets get sick or customers come in with poorly pets to take to the vet. When you get attached to pets in store and then they are rehomed - its bittersweet.

Love spending time with the animals and talking to customers about their pets. Pet Club is a great way to educate younger pet owners. VIP Club has raised over 6 million pounds for charity (13/7/17) since launching loyalty card
Pros
working with colleagues who have 'Pet Passion'
Cons
shift patterns can be exhausting
Fun work place, great team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford12 July 2017
A great job to socialise if you don't already, easy to pick up if you are willing to learn, hours can be suited to you. Able to work with a wide variety of animals.
Pros
Make friends
Pets before profit.....!?
Sales Advisor in Pets (Former Employee) –  Farnborough11 July 2017
Sadly I have worked in retail for most of my life and this is by far the worst retail company I have ever worked for. The actual shop I worked in had the worst team moral environment I had ever experienced.

I joined this company hoping to be involved in the caring of animals and general retail duties. The blatantly ignored the experienced opinions of myself and other staff members and carried on with their own blinkered profit making ideas.

I would not recommend this company, particularly if you like animals, unless you have no other option.

Want to know more about Pets at Home?

Ask a question
not a job just placement
sorting out stock on selves (Former Employee) –  Leeds5 July 2017
this was quite an interesting placement of work. however, seen as i was only a placement at this place i was again limited on what i was allowed to do so i basically only stock up some of the selves.
Fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Netherfield and Colwick4 July 2017
• Communicating with customers on the ground floor, such as assisting customers to where items are located, also assisting them to get items, like checking the storage room.
• Putting hamster cages together, ready for display.
• Arriving at 6:00am to refill the animal’s water bottles.
• Changing the sale prices & refilling the shelves with new stock.
• Putting new animals in their cages/enclosures.
Pros
It was next to alot of food places.
Cons
It was far for me to walk.
Friendly Enviroment
Retail Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield29 June 2017
Whilst i was doing Work Experience at Pets At Home it was a good experience being able to get close to the animals and to care for them. i have learned how to keep the environment clean tidy and as safe as possible for staff and also the customers. The hardest part of the job was to going into the back and taking the animals out of their cages to clean them out. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting close and caring for the animals and getting the customer service improved.
Fun workplace
Authorised Dental Consultant, Reptile Advisor (Former Employee) –  Paisley27 June 2017
Colleagues are respected and known as the forefront of the business as customers see them first. Training is of a high standard here. Your knowledge is high.
Fun and friendly place to work.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Festival Park22 June 2017
I worked for 4 days as it was for my work experience and I spent my hours from 9-till 3pm cleaning the animal enclosures and feeding them and I was also stocking shelves and assembling cages.
Pros
Petting the animals
Cons
I got no pay
fun place to be in, motivated, safe
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire21 June 2017
was a brilliant place to work in, always made you feel welcome and would always be happy to help me when needed. great place to be in and with such a good team.
Pros
free lunches, great people
Cons
not that i can think of
Productive and fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend21 June 2017
Great culture and working environment. Excellent work life balance.dedicated staff, with excellent knowledge of products and animals instore. Very fun and productive.
Pros
Fun dedicated company.
Cons
None.
Care more for bussiness than colleagues
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire21 June 2017
The company cares more for money and the business than it does for its colleagues and it's animals. It's not pets before profit at all, as pets bedding is taken away just so "customers can see the pets better" they are overfed just so "customers can always see they have food". It becomes very depressing very fast, and my mental health suffered greatly in this job, to which the company couldn't have cared less about. All they care about is people being flexible, and will not accommodate for any reason. I did make some great friends, and loved caring and learning for the animals, but I couldn't get away from this company fast enough. Colleague and management turn over was atrocious.
Pros
Caring for animals
Cons
Shift patterns, politics, drama, insensitive company
Fun and inspiring
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnley19 June 2017
Working with pets everyday is fantastic as well as being able to ensure the adoptions are going to only customers who can provide adequate care for them. Being able to deny adoptions is really important
good for a dead end job
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell19 June 2017
it was very tedious and any one who would like to be scrubbing out animals, and cleaning dead fish and dealing with customers in your fare all day i would recommend working here
Pros
smoking out the back
Cons
long in general

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.