Pets at Home Employee Reviews

No care for colleagues
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent2 December 2017
I felt pushed out by managers and other colleagues. I was teased about my autism as well as my depression. I got bullied about my work and took it higher 3 times yet they did nothing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bullying
Awful store to work in
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire1 December 2017
Good company shame bicester is the worst pah to work for! Awful hours,favouritism, unknowladgeable and incompatend staff that don't know pet welfare. Would advice people not to work there.
Could be so much better.
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  UK30 November 2017
Looked down on for taking lunch break. Made to turn out dogs fast even if its not best for the pet. Targets completely unreachable so you get no bonus.
Pros
Complete training.
Cons
Horrendous enviorment to work in.
Amazing work environment
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limavady28 November 2017
I found this employment opportunity fun and different as I hadn't worked in an environment that had animals before yet it helped me gain new skills and provided me with new information within the job.
Pros
working with animals, friendly staff
Good company to work for
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Gloucester28 November 2017
Good company, compassionate about pets, good work life balance great training and supporting in store teams.
Lots of ability to develop and progress in company
Pros
Cute fluffy animals
Underpaid, understaffed, Overworked, Pets at Home
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Kidderminster26 November 2017
This company has gone down hill in the last 1-2 years. Pay has not risen enough with inflation and does not line up with other companies of a similar field. The workload compared to other retail companies is way higher and the pay is lower.
The opportunity for advancement or promotion is there but rarely handed to the hard working and deserving even after the proper required training but rather through favouritism. Management and team in store is brilliant but upper management cannot be trusted.

Hours available for rota use in store are far too stretched to run the store effectively and to serve customers while being able to complete required work in store.
The only enjoyable part of the job is the work with animals.
Pros
Working with Pets
Cons
Underpaid, understaffed, over stressed, over worked
Great place to work, opportunities to progress
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Essex20 November 2017
Really love working here but I don't want a career out of it. Its great working with animals and the company really does put pets before profit. I really dislike pet workshops, where we teach big groups of children about animal care, even if you are terrified of public speaking they will make you do it regardless. Otherwise its a great job, decent pay.
Pros
colleague discount, discount at the vets, lots to train on
Cons
lots of half shifts (3-9pm) with no break.
Good overall service and customer care
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead19 November 2017
When I was doing unpaid work at pets at home I was working on the shop floor and in the warehouse meaning I had a wide range of different experience with not only people but animals aswell.
Awful place to work
Stylist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster18 November 2017
This place is full of bullies, and they gave me chronic depression and anxiety, and then made jokes about it to me all the time. They never took my illness seriously, very mean people, all stick together to make you feel pushed out! Management was a joke, it was him who thought it was hilarious to upset me!
Pros
I enjoyed working with the pets.
Cons
Everything else
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Suffolk12 November 2017
Pets at home is a good place to work, lots to learn and very enjoyable. Lots of courses of offer to pass skills and gain knowledge on different animals, I made lots of friends in the two years I worked here and miss It greatly.
Fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester4 November 2017
My role was stacking the shelves , making sure stock on the shelves wasnt running low . Till work 'customer service. Answeing calls and helping with enquiries. Cleaning out the animals . Cleaning duties when we was near to closing . I enjoyed the job as you got to meet lots of different people during the day .
Pros
Meeting people
Not the best
Dog Groomer (Former Employee) –  North East3 November 2017
Management in both stores I worked in was extremely poor. I experienced bullying and harassment by multiple members of staff. They claim to put 'pets before profit' however this is not the case as all they care about is money through the till especially on the grooming side.
A union is not provided. It is difficult to get anything done about management treating staff poorly as the issue is always ignored.

hours are long and only one weekend a month off is allowed- very difficult to see loved ones or have a life
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours, poor management, bullying
Fun place to work
Employee (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield1 November 2017
The people were very nice and help you work. You learn a lot of skills such as communication, patience and teamwork. Easy place to get to know and you make lots of new friends.
ok
Assistant Manager, Pets at Home (Current Employee) –  Rugby, Warwickshire31 October 2017
i have worked there for ten years and in that time it had gone from a grate place to work to a place where more and more people leave evey day and they try and save money bye having less staff and more tasks leading the customers and stores to sufer
Okay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire31 October 2017
Nice place friendly team fun everyday is different laughs, animals are great to work with. Get to progress to the groom room or sometimes vets. Store transfers available
short hours
Shop Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland26 October 2017
My time at Pets at home was spent doing general shop duties such as stacking shelves, sweeping the shop floor, cleaning, bedding and feeding the animals.
Good
Assistant Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Hove, East Sussex24 October 2017
Good but managers do change a lot which can be a pain if your wanting to move up an they don't like the change. However lots of learning opportunities on every individual
Pets they sell only have to work one weekend day a week.
Pros
Discount, one weekend a week
Cons
Regular change of managers
Pay and conditions slowly being eroded by market forces
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall23 October 2017
Over the 4 years I worked for PAH the change has been meteoric.
Very professional from top to bottom and they do appreciate their staff.
Its very much harder than you could appreciate, both physically and mentally. Faster paced than you would observe from the outside.
Fun
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Byfleet23 October 2017
Fun place to work if u enjoy working with pets
Putting delivery away
Working on the till
Serving customers
1 hour lunch break with cigarette breaks
Training given
Cold but alright place to work
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester9 October 2017
I love it at the start of the year but as it went on it was the exact same things I was doing every week which I didn't find very enjoyable to my liking.
Pros
Loved being with animals when I could
Cons
Cold place

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.