Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Woking13 December 2016
A usual day at Pets at Home consisted of me working face to face with customers, serving them on the till or helping them with products on the shop floor.

What I enjoyed most though was selling the animals to customers. This was a slightly unique experience as I had to make sure that not only was the pet suitable for the customers, but the customers were suitable for the pet. If I didn't trust the customer I didn't sell them the pet.

The majority of my mornings I would spend off the shop floor cleaning and feeding the animals that weren't ready to be sold. I would also have to care for the ill animals, this required me to dispense medication to the animal, take them to the vet and obviously clean and feed them.

My management and co-workers were all friendly and very approachable. I always felt I had enough support and training was always there if i needed more of it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was photographing customers pets to help raise money for the pets at home support adoption charity.
Pros
Learning new roles and responsiblitles
Cons
Long Hours and sometimes very smelly!
Friendly Staff and great atmosphere
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield17 August 2018
The work culture was very good, everyone was friendly. I had to stock the shelves and help with the deliveries. I also had to help the customers locate what they wanted.
Disgusting
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Hertfordshire12 April 2017
Management treat you like dirt, they only care about themselves and they are cold and rude. If you make a complaint or raise an issue it won't get dealt with so don't bother. You are expected to work more hours than you are contracted, minimum wage. You are lucky if you get training as it's pretty much non existent, I didn't even get an induction. All they care about is making money. Would never EVER work there again. From when I started to when I left which was just under 2 years there was pretty much a completely new team because everyone left.
Pros
staff discount
Fun work placement
Pets At Home (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead15 June 2018
I would be building rabbit/hamster cages and helping out feeding the animals and giving them fresh water. The staff are very friendly and if you was to get stuck there is always someone there to give you a helping hand. As Im quite shy they made me feel very comfortable. I learned how to give the poorly animals their medication. The best part of this job was working with animals as Im a very passionate animal lover and this was defiantly enjoyable.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Not enough jobs to do
Inspirational involving and caring
Retail (Former Employee) –  Colchester2 September 2018
Pets at home is the no’ 1 place to go for pets the job itself was awarding and gave me motivation for future work.The team were friendly and cooperative and always give a helping hand.
Pros
Involvement with working with animals
Cons
Could sometimes be intense
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland Retail Park, Midland Way, Mansfield19 October 2018
A typical day at work was to stock up the shelves and to answer any of the questions that the customers may have had. also, to clean out the animals before the shop opened
Very poorly managed
Pets at Home - Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Kingston Park1 September 2018
Very poorly managed store, pay incorrect, holidays incorrect . Head office very difficult to deal with ( some exceptions)
It was always difficuilt to get paid correctly - no one knew how the pay system worked.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Very poor manager
fantastic environment to nurture talent
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire29 September 2018
a great business to nurture talent with a real idea of promoting from within. great opportunities within the business to meet other people and a great training structure
Work experience.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea4 September 2018
I loved my time here during work experience when I was in school. It was very good, helped out with cleaning and feeding the animals. Helping out customers, making sure everything presentable.
Pros
Interacting with animals
Cons
Work experience
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 May 2018
Pets at home was the best retail job I’ve had to date. You need to be able to be fully flexible but there’s loads of training opportunities and a lots of chance to climb the ladder in your career.
Pros
Great opportunities to progress
Cons
Not flexible
Not just cuddling bunnies.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wales9 September 2015
I cannot recommend Pets at Home more, I achieved a lot and managed to progress massively which has helped me further my retail career.

I became a specialist in several sectors and attended training courses and received highly recognised qualifications to take with me throughout my career.

Pay was fair, and increased with progression.

Uniform is suitable for the role and is fully provided for you.

Hours seem to always be available.

Management can be unreliable.

If systems go down, can cause complete mayhem.

Wide variety in responsibilities.
Pros
Uniform, Progression, Benefits, Pay, Holidays, Qualifications
Cons
Management, Computer Systems
Perfectly fine place to work with flaws
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk20 June 2018
Management lacks understanding for staff having a life outside of work, especially at weekends. The team are great to work with but it really is the store manager that spoils the place.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Weekend work is madatory if you are at the bottom
Great pl;ace to work, especially if you like animals.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newbury, ENG17 January 2014
As much as i would love to have stayed working for PAH unfortunately due to me having to move I was unable to get a transfer back to the Newbury store.
A typical day would include all kinds of duties from cleaning & feeding the animals to putting away stock.
I learned a great deal about what make great customer service while working for PAH as well as the benefits of working as a team.
I got on very well with all my co-workers, i went through a few personal issues while working there and everyone was very supportive of me during this time. I stay in touch with and see all of them from time to time.
The hardest part of the job was the heavy lifting, but after a few weeks i got used to it.
Finally the most enjoyable part was the customers responses after giving them advice on food or medicines for their pet & them being happy with this advice as their pet was happier & healthier as a result.
Pros
Great working atmosphere
Cons
A fun place to work with the chance to progress quickly.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby, Meteor Centre30 June 2015
As a manager a typical day can be opening up the store, department counts, making sure the colleagues are getting everything done on time, taking in delivery's and putting the stock out, booking in delivery's, ordering (pets, fish, plants) changing stock minimums, range reviews and all the way through to closing the store and cashing up the tills.

I have learned management skills and everything that comes with it. also the skills to run a big shop when I am the duty manager. I have learnt many other skills like becoming an SQP and being able to sell licence flea and worm medications. also to microchip pets and teach others to do so.
Pros
20% discount, can be a fun place to work
Cons
Long unpaid shifts expected of management when salary doesn't reflect this, not enough hours given to stores to run them properly.
All staff were extremely helpful and polite!
Sales Assistant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire11 February 2018
Since this was only work experience and lasted a total of a week. I really enjoyed it, I was excited to go into work everyday, since everyone was nice! I would recommend working with a place like Pets At Home - especially if you have a passion for animals like I do. I was involved with a lot of jobs which went I was on my feet all day, giving a helping hand around the store. I mostly helped prepare to made the animals food and water bottles, I cleaned the pens/cages externally and internally. I dealt with customers and any problems that came across. Overall I wouldn’t mind working there.
Pros
Polite staff
Not worth your time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands3 August 2018
Worst company to work for. No respect for their colleagues, no rewards or recognition. This company is all take and no give. Do not put the animals first and they couldn't care less if you leave. Don't waste your time!
Pros
You get to work with animals
Cons
Disrespectful to colleague's
fun and enjoyable workplace
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran Town17 July 2018
great place to work with twists and bends on every shift. a typical day consisted of cleaning out and checking the animals health and welfare. i also helped with stock rotation . the team are very friendly and charming and seemed like family after a couple of weeks of volunteering.
Pros
getting to look after animals
Recruitment process is a joke
none (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire14 August 2018
Waste of time and effort applying for this company you have to waste about 5 hours of your life all for nothing, get invited for a work trail afterwards only for them to take nobody on. Honestly don't bother wasting your time applying.
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
Awful place and people
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire23 May 2018
It's an awful company to work for, it's face fits with these lot they are so judgmental and will bully you if you don't fit in. There is definitely favoritism, they dont care about animal Welfare and the staff are very sly and fake about customers. Would not recommend due to not paying me properly and bullying in the workplace. Very expensive too
Pros
Could take my dog to work
Cons
Sly fake and colleagues, don't get paid for all hours you work, don't care about animal Welfare

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.