Pets at Home Employee Reviews

disappointment, embarrasment and an unmanagable company
standard colleague (Former Employee) –  norfolk29 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here...for a few months, then I began to dread going in.
There is so much backstabbing and favouritism between colleagues and management. I felt so unappreciated-no matter what you do, it’s never good enough. The management is abysmal and might as well not exist. E.g: one ‘manager’ would rather sit in the colleague room ALL DAY and not come out when asked or needed. Instead, they ignored everyone, on a busy Sunday, where there were only 3 people working that day.
THERE IS NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. since working here I've had to book holiday just to spend a day with family it’s that bad. I am ALWAYS denied holiday. I don't work the days I was promised (Monday-Friday) when I applied and was interviewed. I often cover other colleagues when they need a day off. In 9 months I’ve had 3 Saturdays off as I've had to book them as holidays. 2 of which were weddings. There's no agreements with the management over shifts or holidays. you don't get set days off you get as and what they feel like. This means you can’t plan to do anything outside of work. the company says you will be able to see the rota for 4 weeks in advance. The amount of times we've had one weeks rota up is ridiculous. There is such a lack of organisation its unbearable
There is so much more hassle that comes with this job than I thought there would be when I started.
People seem to get 'dibs' on not doing jobs. And no one ever seems to want to do a pet sale, or a till shift. Most people just hide out the back talking about each other.
The hardest part of the job is motivating yourself to
  more... not break down during the day, be it from stress or a customer shouting at you over something that's got nothing to do with you.
yes, there is that interaction with pets which is a huge draw to the job, mainly customers’ dogs. However the amount of times myself and colleagues have been told off by management because we were helping a customer and acknowledging and interacting with their pets.
And the amount of times no just colleagues of the same level but managers have come up to me and told me to do a different job that they don’t want to do, when I was in the middle of helping a customer with something or selling them a pet.
Pros
lunch break. getting to pet a dog or two. going home
Cons
incredibly poor managent. terrible atmosphere to work in. unenjoyable
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
Amazing team, a lot of responsibility.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire25 January 2018
The colleagues who work at pets at home are usually amazing to work with, but it is a normal retail environment at the end of the day with alot more responsibility than a normal retail job.
Great colleagues in workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Speke24 January 2018
I worked at Pets at Home Speke for 1 week for work experience. The workplace always had something to do and my other colleagues within the workplace were friendly and willing to offer support when needed. I learnt to organise stock on shelves within the store and also learnt basics on working as a cashier. One of the hardest parts for me personally was working with customers with more specific requests such as recommendations and advice, as I didn't have enough knowledge to give sufficient advice; however, I suppose that could not have been helped. This is a very relaxed company to work for and I highly recommend them.
Pros
Friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
N/a
Friendly but frantic place to work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Bracknell23 January 2018
You won't find a team to work with quite like this anywhere else, everyone is friendly and a little bit crazy and will make you feel like part of the family but the work is hard. It is a very labour intensive job and the customers can be very demanding.
Pros
Lots of training
Cons
Management gets moved around which can disrupt the team ethos
A good workplace
Voluntary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire22 January 2018
I learned how to sort out the food for the animals, how to sort out the products and check the prices.

I enjoyed everything about my work experience.

I worked on Thursdays at Pets at home for 3 months at 09:00 to 15:30.

I never had any salary because I was on an unpaid work placement from college.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
I didn’t get any salary
Excellent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire19 January 2018
whilst i was there i got to handle animals and help customers with enquires. the staff are very nice and welcoming and i recommend going there to anyone.
Fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff18 January 2018
Nice job. Work isn't overly stressful or demanding. Supportive managers and lovely customers. Had a good culture and ethos. I would recommend this company
Pros
Fun
Cons
Pay
Fun and good for animal lovers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London18 January 2018
When you arrive you would usually make sure that the animals are well and start replenishing stock for the day ahead for the first hour or two. The rest of the day are spent making sure customers are happy and helped and that the store is clean.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 January 2018
I regret leaving sometimes as I could have progressed further if I had stayed, the training is extensive and thorough and there are always courses to attend should you want to go further in the business. The perks are great too (apart from weekend working but thats retail for you).
Pros
Lots of training free to you
Cons
Retail hours, bank holidays etc.
Colleagues make the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall16 January 2018
Working for this company for 4 years moving up within the store is really hard. The stress of the company is a joke and no help or support. Colleagues are undervalued with unrealistic expectations. Pay is awful!
Pros
Some colleagues are great to work with.
Cons
Everything about the job
fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Merseyside15 January 2018
it was a good experience for me working here and this taught me how to work in a good workplace and this was my first experience working here in pets at home
Fun work environment
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 January 2018
Great job, working with an encouraging team that always had my best interest. It was a fun work environment and bringing in our own pets was encouraged which also made for a stress relieving work space.
I didn't have the chance to continue working here as I had to leave to start at university but I could see there was a lot of opportunities to grow.
a very good company to work for
Senior store manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk5 January 2018
being in retail like any other retailer it was very busy, made some good friends with my regular customers, there was endless training to be had for those who wanted it.
it was a fun place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prescot5 January 2018
As I only did work experience for about 3 days in this place i am not very knowledge on everything about it, but the time i spent there i think that i learnt retail skills and sales skills and the typical work day was quite hard.
Fun, enjoyable, active.
Pet shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire4 January 2018
Working at Pets at Home was part of my Work Experience from High School. During my time here I was required to give food and water to animals and clean their exhibits, advise customers and selling pet care products, maintain stock levels and deal with deliveries as well as checking water temperatures and chemical balance in fish tanks and ensuring all animals are regularly checked for disease. Most of these tasks your required to work as a team however it could get messy as there isn't usually a 'team leader' allocated you were just required to do the job in hand.
Place for personal development and advancement
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex16 December 2017
The job is fulfilling and there is plenty of scope for personal development and advancement. You are expected to work as a team but also be able to work under your own initiative. Working hours start at 6.00 am and finish at 10.30 and the shop is open 7 days a week.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Very long opening hours, you need to be very flexible.
Productive and professional.
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Worthing13 December 2017
On a typical day I would go in to work for, either 7am or 8am depending on the day, and I would either go out on the shop floor and stack the shelves or go and work on the tills. I learned good customer service, knowledge of animals and pulling forward on the shop floor. The hardest part of the job, in my opinion, was having to learn about all different types of animals and how to care for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to feed the animals.
Pros
Colleague discount.
Cons
Long hours on tills.
fun work place
Order Picker/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Trentham, Staffordshire12 December 2017
Hardest part of pets at home is lifting all day heavy bags also.. got use to at the end.
learned how to drive a lollop, also learned how to pick or pack.
its a great work place for a small period of time being there i enjoyed it so much, other workers can have a laugh with, everyone always so helpful.
management was okay.
i enjoyed it all, being on my feet was the best part of the job, even though i fount it hard at the start i got use to it , wouldnt mind working here again.
Productive work
Customer service enquiries (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire7 December 2017
I got along with almost everybody I worked with.
The type of work I was doing was fun and I enjoyed working with them.
I liked helping the customers with their needs, answering their questions and helping them make the best decisions for their pets.
I also enjoyed helping the animals in store to find suitable homes.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Took a long time to travel

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.