Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Stressful! No support
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheshire20 August 2017
I worked in the groomers, I worked with some lovely girls. It was shop floor that had no respect for us. Never offered help, hardly ever got a lunch break, never finished on time and told each and every day "you need to do more dogs". It's a sales job where you groom dogs fast. If you can't groom fast enough you end up with your next dog/dogs waiting. You are expected to work on your own, groom 7 dogs a day, answer the phone, sell VIP to EVERYONE, hit a target for addition sales like dog food (not positioned in the groomers so you had to go out and get these sales), talk to customers who came in, book dogs in and out, take payments etc....all while being watched through a giant window. But remember, this is never enough, you need to do more.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Every part
Great place
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim20 August 2017
Great place to work...been here 7 years and can't fault the company...good benefits and great teams. Love my pets at home family. Would always recommend them as employers
Not a decent job if you have a family
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton19 August 2017
Hours are poor and managers are even worse. If you have a family id advise agaisnt working for pets at home warehouse. They will have you routaining shifts I.E one week earliers the next lates and can make u stay for a extra 2 hours after your shift should of ended.
Pros
Cons
Long poor hours and shifts
n/a
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester18 August 2017
as I only worked here as a work experience person I would at its the best place to work at, moreover the staff and customers were all so friendly, al they were very kind.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
n/a
Lovely company
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex18 August 2017
I have always loved working here, it's fast paced and they really do keep it fun. Career progression is fantastic. The benefits are also great as well as the salary which is very competitive.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
High pressure
Could be so much more
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Leicestershire16 August 2017
What I thought would be my dream job. I advanced quickly as I worked hard. There are some good managers and some very poor ones who should not be a manager. There is a lack of correct training on handling difficult situations. As time goes on the targets are rediculous. They ensure most stores don't get a bonus. Short staffed most of the time. After tax key holders and assistant managers get not far off the same as colleagues making many people not want to progress. Long hours, unsociable hours, no balance. Exhausted on days off. Not a job you take unless you are passionate about learning, animals and giving advice.
Can be great fun but can be really stressful. Animals are our priority in our store and they are looked after well. Don't agree with everything but we treat them well while with us.
Some horrid customers but also some lovely ones. Pay does not reflect work done. Paid more when I left school many years ago. Should be paid extra for the unsociable shifts
Pros
Discount, colleagues, learning
Cons
Hours, money, pressure, lack of care from top bosses, targets
Great Place To Work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 August 2017
Enjoyable place to work lots of courses to participate in and gain city & guilds qualifications. Annual bonus based on several things within the workplace. Most enjoyable part of the job is FUN, PETS, TEAM & BONUS (what we get i got approx £600 this year it is worked out based on hours worked)
Pros
Fun, Pets & team
No playing with the animals
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire16 August 2017
First of all, you DON'T get to play with the animals like everyone thinks, it's a great job with good company ethics but the animals aren't always coming first, it's usually sales first, the pet training and knowledge could be improved upon but it's been years since I worked there so may well have improved.
only on work experience
Customer Service/Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Liverpool14 August 2017
As I was only on work experience I didn't do an awful lot I was mainly doing stock control, stocking shelves, cleaning the store and storage room and I learnt helpful skills for the future.
Great place to work living by there values
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe12 August 2017
A great place to work and would be better with better home life hours. Excellent team building and team work great benefits. The company has a high standard in everything which I like and a great support team. All management are very understanding and helpful. If working hours where better to suit me I would stay there for many years to come.
Cons
Weekend working and late start with late finish
Not a job for you if you like animals
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire12 August 2017
And your only hope of progression is if your face fits. Awful work home life balance, you're treat as though you work for an emergency service and they ask for far too much for the wage.
Very busy and interesting business
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd8 August 2017
I more than enjoyed attending work experience here. I received plenty of training in different areas of retail and I received training in some animal care. I felt motivated each day to complete a variation of tasks.
Pros
Flexible hours
Has its ups and downs
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Wick, Highland7 August 2017
Delivery days are usually busy but can be quiter on other days.

I have learned a few things but when i asked to further myself it was like i wasnt getting listened to.
Pros
bonus, birthday off
Cons
bitchiness within the work place
Poor hours
SALON MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear5 August 2017
Good job long hours and poor work / life balance.
Don't have time to do anything in the morning or at night because of the shift times, would like a 9-5 role.
A lot of pressure
Manager (Current Employee) –  Home town2 August 2017
A lot of targets that keep going up and up and up making some of them unrealistic. A lot of threats coming your way if you aren't hitting every single one of those targets (2 or 3 isn't enough it has to be ALL of them) If you're lucky and get a good team then they can make the job fun and keep things interesting. A lot of training is provided and a lot of money spent on training. It is fast paced and a lot is expected so not a job for someone who just wants to go into work, do their job and go home. You have to be someone who wants to expand and progress. Overtime is expected too. Whether you get paid or not.
Pros
Good wages, A lot of training
Cons
Threats, Expected overtime and long hours, expected to travel to other stores
productive
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire1 August 2017
I had word experience at pets at home cleaning and stock taking I enjoyed it but decided it wasn't the job for me,it was a good job and the people were nice.
Pros
meet new poeple
Cons
tiring
Enjoyable and friendly
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham31 July 2017
I spent my time with pets at home while i was undertaking my work experience module whilst in attendance at college. i enjoyed my time with pets at home and would love to be able to work within the company on a full time basis.
Pros
Nice staff, Friendly atmosphere
picker packer
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent29 July 2017
it was so good because we had rate so we had to hit the target and there was a challenge everyday. that was a big group too. friendly people. the place been so clean.
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Wirral28 July 2017
i learned a lot of things working in pets at home. i learned customer service how to use a till and how to change new lines. the most enjoyable part of the job is working with the staff
Pros
nice staff
Cons
no jobs going
Not great
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester25 July 2017
Negative environment, poor colleague turn over, management not interested in career progression, pay was unstable, a lot of name calling colleagues behind their backs, tedious job role, a great lack of organisation, communication was poor, imagine working with a company for years and having to organise your own leaving do and not even receiving a card from management (people I actually got along with) just goes to show how much they actually care for their long time colleagues. I was going to write a fair statement but in all honesty it's got a really bad team moral environment, a lot of moaning and problems not being resolved seems to be happening in most stores at the moment too. It went from everyone working what they were given no questions asked to people deciding when they could and couldn't work and not even turning up for shifts. One rule for one and one for another. In all honesty it's ok for someone at uni or just left college but you can't live off that kind of wage and the hours are unpredictable doing anything from 16hrs a week to 37 extremely unreliable and didn't always get paid correctly because they manually type in hours on the computer in a busy office where collegeues are in and out all the time.
Pros
20% discount, bonus', work with animals
Cons
Pay, hours, moral

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.