Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2018
This was a work placement I did so I can't speak on the salary and benefits but my time spent here was very enjoyable and the staff were all very friendly, fun and welcoming towards me and helped me with anything I was unsure of.
Pros
Lovely staff members
Cons
Long Hours, no pay
Fun work placement
Pets At Home (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead15 June 2018
I would be building rabbit/hamster cages and helping out feeding the animals and giving them fresh water. The staff are very friendly and if you was to get stuck there is always someone there to give you a helping hand. As Im quite shy they made me feel very comfortable. I learned how to give the poorly animals their medication. The best part of this job was working with animals as Im a very passionate animal lover and this was defiantly enjoyable.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Not enough jobs to do
FIELD PET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  South West8 June 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my 9 years working for Pets at Home. I gained so much experience and knowledge with a company that looks after all it's colleagues.
Can be hard but rewarding work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  various3 June 2018
Probably one of the better retail positions. However the shift patterns are erratic and leave very little time for any sort of social/personal life. it is expected that you work beyond your contract, especially if you are on a salary, and you will rarely be given the time back..
Pros
reasonable pay and benefits. Good training program. Job variation
Cons
long hours. Erratic shift patterns. Zero work life balance
Fantastic progression opportunities
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire29 May 2018
Pets at Home was my first Saturday job at 16 Years old. I stayed with them for 7 Years and progressed with fantastic training very fast. Their training structures are clear and obtainable and the multiple locations mean there are lots of roles to be filled therefore employees have abundant opportunity if they wish to act upon it. I moved into the 'Groom Room' where I was trained from a Novice, to a qualified Dog Groomer and Salon Manager , competing countrywide and demonstrating at Cruft's.

It is Retail work so therefore hours can be antisocial however the workplace culture will make up for that !
Pros
Discounts, Extra Holiday Days, Great Training, Progression Opportunities
Cons
Retail working hours, Once Monthly Sunday Meetings
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 May 2018
Pets at home was the best retail job I’ve had to date. You need to be able to be fully flexible but there’s loads of training opportunities and a lots of chance to climb the ladder in your career.
Pros
Great opportunities to progress
Cons
Not flexible
Awful place and people
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire23 May 2018
It's an awful company to work for, it's face fits with these lot they are so judgmental and will bully you if you don't fit in. There is definitely favoritism, they dont care about animal Welfare and the staff are very sly and fake about customers. Would not recommend due to not paying me properly and bullying in the workplace. Very expensive too
Pros
Could take my dog to work
Cons
Sly fake and colleagues, don't get paid for all hours you work, don't care about animal Welfare
Great Place
Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury22 May 2018
My work placement here went really well. With all of the employees being very nice and always professional in the view of customers, I learned a lot. I was always on my feet with a new task to complete. It felt good to be kept so busy.
Profit before pets
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Scotland19 May 2018
No breaks, no weekend days off, no two days off together, incompetent managers who couldn't manage a prayer in a mosque, grooms are rushed in a vain attempt to meet impossible targets, constant pressure to upsell services and push loyalty cards under pain of disciplinary action, and nothing you do will ever be good enough.
Pros
lose weight because you dont get lunch breaks!
Cons
everything else
It's an okay job?
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 May 2018
To begin with the job is great, everyone is really nice ect but the longer you are there they except you to work over your contact all the time. hours are not always the same each week and they can change your shift at the very last minute without telling you. They expect you to work 24/7 with very little to no breaks.
Pros
Excellent pay ], rewards and holidays
Cons
Long hours, 1 year of training, management expect you to give up your social life and private life to them
In the work place the staff are all very friends and always do their best to keep up to date on everything.
Shelf Stacker (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 May 2018
Pets at Home is a wonderful place, pets are very well looked after.
A typical day at work would be, stacking the shelf’s, checking on the animals and being as social with the customers as possible.
Whilst my time at Pets at Home I learned that if your stuggling with a task you can always ask for help and the other members of staff are always there to lend a helping hand.
The hardest part of the job for me was probably the till, as it can be quiet confusing.
But overal the most enjoyable was getting to meet lovely people and providing lovely animals with a safe home.
Pros
Lovely staff members
Cons
Not much to do
Productive and friendly staff
Part time store colleague (Former Employee) –  Hatfield9 May 2018
A typical day at work would be coming in at 9am, i then would clean out the rabbits and guinea pigs at the front of the store. Once this is done i restocked water and food for all the animals on the shop floor and behind the shop. I would then stock shelves and put up new offers. lunch will be at 12 i will then go back and look after the ill animals and feed them and clean them out.
Pros
an hour lunch break
hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent9 May 2018
Worked at Pets at Home for two weeks in Stoke on Trent for work experiance, cleaning fish tanks; feeding the rodents and some of reptiles also, I had to stock shelves
Pros
good hours
Cons
tiring work
Fun workplace, poor benefits
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom9 May 2018
Fun and interactive working environment.

No matter your role, you can guarantee that everyday is different. Customer interactions are generally enjoyable as they bring their pets in or are about to buy one.

Minimum wage, exaggerated expectations of management but if your not worried about your wage, a good place to be.
Pros
Fun Evironment
Cons
Poor Wages/Benefits
awful company treat people with special needs awfully
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Shirley, West Midlands12 May 2018
I worked for this company for 4 months at their Shirley branch staff were ignorant and a lack of training resulted in my sacking and been forced off the premises I was treated like an outcast by staff who were very clickey and were making it clear that I was not part of their group.

Also when I had an accident there was very little done about it and there was no concern and I was left to fend for myself. The management were continually complaining about my use of the buffer machine {which they had not taught to me how to use it despite offering on the job training} also I was made to feel very depressed at the lack of communication. avoid avoid avoid !
Pros
Cons
ignorant people, lack of training
It’s a brilliant work place
Experience (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset28 April 2018
Everyone is so nice and understanding there , get time of on birthdays weddings and when u need it Most. I would like to go and work there again when I get the chance.
Pros
Looking after the animals and having laughs
Cons
Rude customers
Management are rubbish. No career progression internally
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Rugby26 April 2018
Colleagues are good generally although there are sloppy lazy ones like anywhere else. Retail job itself is ok. Don't expect to interact with animals unless cleaning them out (1 person most shifts) or when selling to a customer. Corporate, Area and store level management are absolutely useless. Store Managers get away with doing very little and being completely un-PC. Opportunities for progression handed to outsiders with little or no animal knowledge. Progression for colleagues is very limited. Pets Before Profit sadly is being pushed aside in favour of budgets. Hours are tough sometimes starting at 6 am. Long hours until almost 9pm with no overtime if banking/closing manager is a twit. Very little opportunity to have fun (despite this being part of the mission statement).Always short staffed and staff turnover high so working every weekend is expected! Unless you want a slightly more interesting retail role than Tescos don't bother. Pay is just above min wage. Would never work there again!
Pros
It's a job. Some good employee benefits.
Cons
Get treated like a numpty most of the time. Not worth the pay and effort to go through the training.
Was a fun place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Staff floor25 April 2018
I liked working at pets at home I met some really nice and helpful people and they were also all willing to help me out if a had any problems as well.
Pros
Not long hours
Cons
Cold store
fun place to work
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  london24 April 2018
The job itself doesn't revolve around animals that much. a few hours in the morning when cleaning out, and times throughout the day when checking up on their needs and welfare. most of the job is customer services, helping and advising their pets needs.
Fun Workplace
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield17 April 2018
Love the ability to be interact with the customers pets aswell as the ones we sell as a company. Working hours are pretty flexible and the wage is also good for the job that you do. Animals are extremely cute and a pleasure to work with.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.