Pets at Home Employee Reviews

fun to work
good workers
manager is kind
good place
customers love looking at the animals
the hardest part of the job is cleaning the animals out
Pros
feeding animals
Productive And Fun workplace
Shop Worker (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire7 March 2018
I learnt man skills whilst doing work experience at Pets At Home i learnt about specific animals and there needs also how to work with isolated animals.
Pros
Clean place to work
Cons
N/a
Good emphasis on animal welfare
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire4 March 2018
Good place to work, stable job security. Put animal welfare first which is a must. A typical working day can include cleaning animals, helping customers and cleaning and tidying
Great Pet People
Grooming Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Regional across North England and Scotland3 March 2018
Pets before Profit is throughout the business, down to really knowledgeable, meticulous and passionate colleagues.

Training and development opportunities available for all levels
Pros
People
Cons
HR lacking
Productive and fun workplace environment
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Trostre1 March 2018
I had a very fun week of work at Pets at Home. I met lots of friendly new people and learned lots of new skills. I thoroughly enjoyed my work experience there and hope that I will be able to return there one day for proper work.
Pros
Experience, New skills, Confidence boost
helped me become independant
store assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester25 February 2018
pets at home was only my work experience when attended school, but it helped me gain the basic skills everyone needs to work, I it helped me be independent on terms of getting to work on time everyday, providing my own lunch etc. it helped me with my customer service skills face to face. it helped my listening skills and how to take instructions well.
Pros
met new people
Cons
spent my luches on my own
Loved it
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom23 February 2018
So amazing, loved the animals loved the customers and the staff were so lovely at all times to me. Didn’t really like dealing with the dead fish but I liked everything else.
Pros
Lunches were long
Cons
Dead fish
Commited
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire22 February 2018
Fantastic animal welfare. Always something new. Excellent benefits and excellent job security. Can sometimes be long hours but thats retail. Dhare option available too.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Weekends
Great
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 February 2018
The whole work experience was amazing as I enjoyed day to day tasks and caring for the animals whilst doing something I loved and working with people.
Pros
Doing something you liked, caring for animals.
Fun place to work
Salon Manager, Dog Grooming (Current Employee) –  Barry, Vale of Glamorgan15 February 2018
Love the company. They always put pets before profit. And they oook after there team members. Really good yearly bonuses, at least 6 weeks holiday a year
Pros
Birthday payed day off
All staff were extremely helpful and polite!
Sales Assistant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire11 February 2018
Since this was only work experience and lasted a total of a week. I really enjoyed it, I was excited to go into work everyday, since everyone was nice! I would recommend working with a place like Pets At Home - especially if you have a passion for animals like I do. I was involved with a lot of jobs which went I was on my feet all day, giving a helping hand around the store. I mostly helped prepare to made the animals food and water bottles, I cleaned the pens/cages externally and internally. I dealt with customers and any problems that came across. Overall I wouldn’t mind working there.
Pros
Polite staff
Valuable Exerience
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire9 February 2018
This temporary job placement allowed me to gain some skills needed for the workplace. The staff were kind and outgoing and gave it there all to make me feel comfortable. They seemed extremely organised and prepared for me upon arrival.
really enjoyable place to work
Dog Grooming Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walkden6 February 2018
enjoyed every minute of my work experience, cleaning the animals enclosures, feeding and watering them, watching 2 operations, and helping wash and dry the dogs, every bit was amazing
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool5 February 2018
It is a great place to work at pets at home as it is a great job experience to work their as all the staff are kind and can help you with anything you need.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
A lovely place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Tiverton5 February 2018
Pets at home is a lovely place to work and you feel like you are a big family. The animal care is brilliant and they do so much behind the scenes for the animals that customers don't know about.
The staff act like a big family and the managers actually get stuck in and help you. They will help with animal cleaning when asked and dont treat you any differently.
The company do help you to get higher in the business and also be able to specialise in different subjects that you are interested in.
Overall one of the best companies i have worked for. The only negative and reason i left is the hours and pay as the stores are open until 8pm in the evening and sometimes you have to start at 6am if there is a delivery.
Pros
Positive company
Cons
Hours and pay
Stress free, enjoyable but not amazing
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Shrewbury1 February 2018
Like most places the experience heavily relied on management. Not very supportive of employees in full time education. Once my contract was put to 0 hours, I was not told about shifts I’d been put on then dismissed due to not showing up to work... very unfair.
Pros
Training
Cons
Duties often unfair, 0 hours leading to unfair dismissal
Fast pace environment
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton le Dale, Lancashire30 January 2018
I worked here for my work experience while still at high school, on a normal day I would help clean out the animals and shelf stock while being assassinated by someone.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
disappointment, embarrasment and an unmanagable company
standard colleague (Former Employee) –  norfolk29 January 2018
I really enjoyed working here...for a few months, then I began to dread going in.
There is so much backstabbing and favouritism between colleagues and management. I felt so unappreciated-no matter what you do, it’s never good enough. The management is abysmal and might as well not exist. E.g: one ‘manager’ would rather sit in the colleague room ALL DAY and not come out when asked or needed. Instead, they ignored everyone, on a busy Sunday, where there were only 3 people working that day.
THERE IS NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE. since working here I've had to book holiday just to spend a day with family it’s that bad. I am ALWAYS denied holiday. I don't work the days I was promised (Monday-Friday) when I applied and was interviewed. I often cover other colleagues when they need a day off. In 9 months I’ve had 3 Saturdays off as I've had to book them as holidays. 2 of which were weddings. There's no agreements with the management over shifts or holidays. you don't get set days off you get as and what they feel like. This means you can’t plan to do anything outside of work. the company says you will be able to see the rota for 4 weeks in advance. The amount of times we've had one weeks rota up is ridiculous. There is such a lack of organisation its unbearable
There is so much more hassle that comes with this job than I thought there would be when I started.
People seem to get 'dibs' on not doing jobs. And no one ever seems to want to do a pet sale, or a till shift. Most people just hide out the back talking about each other.
The hardest part of the job is motivating yourself to
  more... not break down during the day, be it from stress or a customer shouting at you over something that's got nothing to do with you.
yes, there is that interaction with pets which is a huge draw to the job, mainly customers’ dogs. However the amount of times myself and colleagues have been told off by management because we were helping a customer and acknowledging and interacting with their pets.
And the amount of times no just colleagues of the same level but managers have come up to me and told me to do a different job that they don’t want to do, when I was in the middle of helping a customer with something or selling them a pet.
Pros
lunch break. getting to pet a dog or two. going home
Cons
incredibly poor managent. terrible atmosphere to work in. unenjoyable
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
Amazing team, a lot of responsibility.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire25 January 2018
The colleagues who work at pets at home are usually amazing to work with, but it is a normal retail environment at the end of the day with alot more responsibility than a normal retail job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.