Pets at Home Pay & Benefits reviews

fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Merseyside15 January 2018
it was a good experience for me working here and this taught me how to work in a good workplace and this was my first experience working here in pets at home
Fun
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Byfleet23 October 2017
Fun place to work if u enjoy working with pets
Putting delivery away
Working on the till
Serving customers
1 hour lunch break with cigarette breaks
Training given
Great at Store level
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South West7 October 2017
A great job at store level but ruined by Area managers and upwards.
Unrealistic KPI's to meet and you're sure to fail so they can avoid paying the yearly bonus.
I'm part of the management team and for a manager there are far better paid jobs out there. Area manager expects you to work on days off or pull all day shift's as managers are leaving in their droves. Being on salary, your equivalent hourly rate is below that of a colleague once you've worked 6 hours over your contracted 39.

Why have I not left if it's that bad you ask? The team, the guys I work with are like family and that is why i'm still treading water.
Pros
staff discount, colleagues
Cons
area manager, unrealistic targets
Great company
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands20 September 2017
Amazing company to work for!
Loads of training and training days to go to, for achieving new skills for the job role.
Management careers are great, encouraging and professional.
I had a great vast if opportunities with Pets at Home, were pushed to achieve new goals and supported throughout.
Pros
Great company benefits
Cons
Long days for childcare
bad management higher up
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland16 September 2017
Not thanked for the work you do, the company itself it badly ran. Long shifts, unsociable hours. Free parking, free uniform and some of the benefits are good.
Great place
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim20 August 2017
Great place to work...been here 7 years and can't fault the company...good benefits and great teams. Love my pets at home family. Would always recommend them as employers
Lovely company
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex18 August 2017
I have always loved working here, it's fast paced and they really do keep it fun. Career progression is fantastic. The benefits are also great as well as the salary which is very competitive.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
High pressure
Great Place To Work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 August 2017
Enjoyable place to work lots of courses to participate in and gain city & guilds qualifications. Annual bonus based on several things within the workplace. Most enjoyable part of the job is FUN, PETS, TEAM & BONUS (what we get i got approx £600 this year it is worked out based on hours worked)
Pros
Fun, Pets & team
Great place to work living by there values
Salon Manager (Current Employee) –  Scunthorpe12 August 2017
A great place to work and would be better with better home life hours. Excellent team building and team work great benefits. The company has a high standard in everything which I like and a great support team. All management are very understanding and helpful. If working hours where better to suit me I would stay there for many years to come.
Cons
Weekend working and late start with late finish
A lot of pressure
Manager (Current Employee) –  Home town2 August 2017
A lot of targets that keep going up and up and up making some of them unrealistic. A lot of threats coming your way if you aren't hitting every single one of those targets (2 or 3 isn't enough it has to be ALL of them) If you're lucky and get a good team then they can make the job fun and keep things interesting. A lot of training is provided and a lot of money spent on training. It is fast paced and a lot is expected so not a job for someone who just wants to go into work, do their job and go home. You have to be someone who wants to expand and progress. Overtime is expected too. Whether you get paid or not.
Pros
Good wages, A lot of training
Cons
Threats, Expected overtime and long hours, expected to travel to other stores
Fun workplace for those wanting to learn about animals!
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Hampshire23 July 2017
Overall, PAH is a brilliant place to work if you want to progress in the field of animals. There are lots of benefits and it is very team orientated.

However, every pay day I had problems with the payroll not paying me the right amount, the managers said they were sorting it but did nothing so I had to, as I was down £300 one month!

Some managers I worked with did tend to make up their own rules when they saw fit - sometimes felt picked on by one manager in particular but I don't feel that is a reflection on the company at all as you don't get on with everyone in this world!
Pros
benefits, bonus, animals, fun
Cons
payroll, unfair managers
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant /C-SQP (Former Employee) –  Northampton13 July 2017
typical jobs list
working stock from warehouse to shelves
serving customers on the till
selling pets/ fish
cleaning pets/ fish
tidying shop in the evening ready for following day

I learnt all about pet welfare and customer service and how the company works. Workbooks are given to new colleagues to complete pay rise given once second lot of workbooks are completed

Management are wonderful but there are some that can be quite strict, 'it's work not a hobby'

colleagues get on well with each other, can sometimes be a bit of trouble but it generally gets sorted out quite quickly - 'We're All Ears' rep to speak to in confidence.

Hardest part of the job- when pets get sick or customers come in with poorly pets to take to the vet. When you get attached to pets in store and then they are rehomed - its bittersweet.

Love spending time with the animals and talking to customers about their pets. Pet Club is a great way to educate younger pet owners. VIP Club has raised over 6 million pounds for charity (13/7/17) since launching loyalty card
Pros
working with colleagues who have 'Pet Passion'
Cons
shift patterns can be exhausting
fun place to work
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 June 2017
very good company to work for very nice work atmosphere don't know about the salary as my experience was work experience an unpaid. as for everything else I give it 4 starts
Pros
close to other stores so lunch is very easy and doesnt wast your time as in disatnce
unpredictable activity
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire12 June 2017
Not stable working hours through work with agency. Job includes a lot of heavy lifting. The Company cares more about saving money instead of quality.
Pros
Good pay rate
Pets at home
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear10 June 2017
It was good as work experience as it gave me a look into what having a job would be like. The management were fair and the other staff members were polite and helpful. The work wasn't hard and I always had something to be doing so I was never stood around idle. I was also given a good amount of time to have my lunch.
Pros
Pros for me would be hours were good
Cons
Cons were the traveling
Great Staff and fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester8 June 2017
The staff were all lovely and welcoming, not hesitating to help with anything. The workplace was fun and the breaks were good and not to stressful hours.
overall excellent
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Oldbury, West Midlands3 June 2017
The staff were fun to work with for a week, they looked after me if I had any problems. They have a good working system when working with animals and customers.
Pros
Good breaks
Started ok. Was hoping to be there for yrs
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire20 May 2017
Started off a good company but things soon changed. Very much like if your well liked you will do good. Loved seeing the customers. moaning from everyone, i would never work for this company again. There values are not always correct. You lose your social life and feels like your always there. Wages where not too bad in all fairness.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, favouritism
Overall not bad
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon19 May 2017
Pets at home can be a good career move for animal oriented people.that said their promotion policy is a little disjointed.i enjoyed my time there and I'm sure others will too.
Pros
Paid day off for birthday.
Cons
Unrealistic bonus targets.
Enjoyable Place To Work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Sydenham, Greater London17 May 2017
I cannot fault the working environment or the people I work with but I am frustrated that I have completed a store manager training programme and after nearly a year there are no suitable Store Manager positions available and it is massively important for me to progress and be the leader of my own team.
Pros
Fantastic benefits, fun work environment the majority of the time.
Cons
Lack of suitable opportunities available for progression.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.