Pets at Home Pay & Benefits reviews

Busy environment with Good benefits
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  South Ayrshire7 April 2018
Good benefits with the company, some shop environments better than others. Questionable values from company but colleagues passionate and caring towards all animals in store and that visit.
16 years and loved almost every minute
Senior Store Manager Salary (Former Employee) –  Swindon3 April 2018
Great company to work for and very passionate about pets and animal welfare.
Great innovation especially on new products, they cared about team work and progression, not just about reaching targets.
Pros
good structure and benefits
Cons
long hours and drive
I was only work experience
Pets at home (Former Employee) –  Lichfield17 March 2018
I only did work experience here so I didnt get to experience the full benefits of a job there. I would've liked to learn more. But unfortunately it was only to fill my hours for college
Pros
Good pet advice
Cons
Didn't actually get a paid job
Not fun at all
wharehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent12 March 2018
Job security is very good very hard work close and convenient pay is very good management not very good always on your back to much bullying for my liking
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Needs more staff for busy pace
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Hampshire11 March 2018
Great company, interesting job, good pay and benefits. However, it is very fast paced and sometimes matching all the animals needs can be very diffcult whilst juggling lots of tasks on top of that to do as well. The store I worked at definitely needed more members of staff but isnt allowed more. When struggling with tasks, results in being told to 'make more time'. On the other hand, the company has many opportunities for you to progress and the colleagues make it fun. It is long hours but something I dont mind because of the fast pace environment, the time goes quickly.
Pros
-Animals -Opportunities to grow&progress -Good pay&benefits
Cons
-Need more staff -Rude customers -Not always enough time for animals.
Commited
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire22 February 2018
Fantastic animal welfare. Always something new. Excellent benefits and excellent job security. Can sometimes be long hours but thats retail. Dhare option available too.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Weekends
Fun place to work
Salon Manager, Dog Grooming (Current Employee) –  Barry, Vale of Glamorgan15 February 2018
Love the company. They always put pets before profit. And they oook after there team members. Really good yearly bonuses, at least 6 weeks holiday a year
Pros
Birthday payed day off
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool5 February 2018
It is a great place to work at pets at home as it is a great job experience to work their as all the staff are kind and can help you with anything you need.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Fast pace environment
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton le Dale, Lancashire30 January 2018
I worked here for my work experience while still at high school, on a normal day I would help clean out the animals and shelf stock while being assassinated by someone.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
A good workplace
Voluntary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire22 January 2018
I learned how to sort out the food for the animals, how to sort out the products and check the prices.

I enjoyed everything about my work experience.

I worked on Thursdays at Pets at home for 3 months at 09:00 to 15:30.

I never had any salary because I was on an unpaid work placement from college.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
I didn’t get any salary
fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Merseyside15 January 2018
it was a good experience for me working here and this taught me how to work in a good workplace and this was my first experience working here in pets at home
Fun
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Byfleet23 October 2017
Fun place to work if u enjoy working with pets
Putting delivery away
Working on the till
Serving customers
1 hour lunch break with cigarette breaks
Training given
Great at Store level
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South West7 October 2017
A great job at store level but ruined by Area managers and upwards.
Unrealistic KPI's to meet and you're sure to fail so they can avoid paying the yearly bonus.
I'm part of the management team and for a manager there are far better paid jobs out there. Area manager expects you to work on days off or pull all day shift's as managers are leaving in their droves. Being on salary, your equivalent hourly rate is below that of a colleague once you've worked 6 hours over your contracted 39.

Why have I not left if it's that bad you ask? The team, the guys I work with are like family and that is why i'm still treading water.
Pros
staff discount, colleagues
Cons
area manager, unrealistic targets
Good place to work, plenty of opportunities to learn and educate others
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Dorset4 October 2017
Great job, not just dealing with the animals. Get lots of chances to learn on the job and also always the possibility to teach others about how best to care for animals. Can be difficult when people don't listen and you see poor welfare. It is a retail store so you don't get to 'play' with the animals, but daily cleaning/spot cleaning means you get lots of interactions with them.
Lots of benefits for the staff, such as once trained you get a pay rise and birthday off (paid). Management are good and very efficient. Hours are really flexible and vary from 4 to 9 hours.
Pros
Pay rise when finished training, plenty of opportunities to learn, can help welfare of animals, good pay.
Cons
Some staff don't have much enthusiasm for animals and some staff will sell social animals singly.
Great company
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton, West Midlands20 September 2017
Amazing company to work for!
Loads of training and training days to go to, for achieving new skills for the job role.
Management careers are great, encouraging and professional.
I had a great vast if opportunities with Pets at Home, were pushed to achieve new goals and supported throughout.
Pros
Great company benefits
Cons
Long days for childcare
bad management higher up
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern Ireland16 September 2017
Not thanked for the work you do, the company itself it badly ran. Long shifts, unsociable hours. Free parking, free uniform and some of the benefits are good.
Great place
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim20 August 2017
Great place to work...been here 7 years and can't fault the company...good benefits and great teams. Love my pets at home family. Would always recommend them as employers
Lovely company
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Essex18 August 2017
I have always loved working here, it's fast paced and they really do keep it fun. Career progression is fantastic. The benefits are also great as well as the salary which is very competitive.
Pros
Salary and benefits
Cons
High pressure
Great Place To Work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 August 2017
Enjoyable place to work lots of courses to participate in and gain city & guilds qualifications. Annual bonus based on several things within the workplace. Most enjoyable part of the job is FUN, PETS, TEAM & BONUS (what we get i got approx £600 this year it is worked out based on hours worked)
Pros
Fun, Pets & team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.