Pets at Home Pay & Benefits reviews

Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2018
This was a work placement I did so I can't speak on the salary and benefits but my time spent here was very enjoyable and the staff were all very friendly, fun and welcoming towards me and helped me with anything I was unsure of.
Pros
Lovely staff members
Cons
Long Hours, no pay
Can be hard but rewarding work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  various3 June 2018
Probably one of the better retail positions. However the shift patterns are erratic and leave very little time for any sort of social/personal life. it is expected that you work beyond your contract, especially if you are on a salary, and you will rarely be given the time back..
Pros
reasonable pay and benefits. Good training program. Job variation
Cons
long hours. Erratic shift patterns. Zero work life balance
It's an okay job?
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 May 2018
To begin with the job is great, everyone is really nice ect but the longer you are there they except you to work over your contact all the time. hours are not always the same each week and they can change your shift at the very last minute without telling you. They expect you to work 24/7 with very little to no breaks.
Pros
Excellent pay ], rewards and holidays
Cons
Long hours, 1 year of training, management expect you to give up your social life and private life to them
hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent9 May 2018
Worked at Pets at Home for two weeks in Stoke on Trent for work experiance, cleaning fish tanks; feeding the rodents and some of reptiles also, I had to stock shelves
Pros
good hours
Cons
tiring work
Fun workplace, poor benefits
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom9 May 2018
Fun and interactive working environment.

No matter your role, you can guarantee that everyday is different. Customer interactions are generally enjoyable as they bring their pets in or are about to buy one.

Minimum wage, exaggerated expectations of management but if your not worried about your wage, a good place to be.
Pros
Fun Evironment
Cons
Poor Wages/Benefits
Management are rubbish. No career progression internally
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Rugby26 April 2018
Colleagues are good generally although there are sloppy lazy ones like anywhere else. Retail job itself is ok. Don't expect to interact with animals unless cleaning them out (1 person most shifts) or when selling to a customer. Corporate, Area and store level management are absolutely useless. Store Managers get away with doing very little and being completely un-PC. Opportunities for progression handed to outsiders with little or no animal knowledge. Progression for colleagues is very limited. Pets Before Profit sadly is being pushed aside in favour of budgets. Hours are tough sometimes starting at 6 am. Long hours until almost 9pm with no overtime if banking/closing manager is a twit. Very little opportunity to have fun (despite this being part of the mission statement).Always short staffed and staff turnover high so working every weekend is expected! Unless you want a slightly more interesting retail role than Tescos don't bother. Pay is just above min wage. Would never work there again!
Pros
It's a job. Some good employee benefits.
Cons
Get treated like a numpty most of the time. Not worth the pay and effort to go through the training.
Fun Workplace
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield17 April 2018
Love the ability to be interact with the customers pets aswell as the ones we sell as a company. Working hours are pretty flexible and the wage is also good for the job that you do. Animals are extremely cute and a pleasure to work with.
Busy environment with Good benefits
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  South Ayrshire7 April 2018
Good benefits with the company, some shop environments better than others. Questionable values from company but colleagues passionate and caring towards all animals in store and that visit.
16 years and loved almost every minute
Senior Store Manager Salary (Former Employee) –  Swindon3 April 2018
Great company to work for and very passionate about pets and animal welfare.
Great innovation especially on new products, they cared about team work and progression, not just about reaching targets.
Pros
good structure and benefits
Cons
long hours and drive
I was only work experience
Pets at home (Former Employee) –  Lichfield17 March 2018
I only did work experience here so I didnt get to experience the full benefits of a job there. I would've liked to learn more. But unfortunately it was only to fill my hours for college
Pros
Good pet advice
Cons
Didn't actually get a paid job
Very nice place to work in
Costumer service (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire13 March 2018
Really loved the workers, they are all nice polite and very hard working. Great management. Very clean and tidy place. Long breaks. Just loved to work there, the place is very peaceful, I love it!
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Work might become boring
Not fun at all
wharehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent12 March 2018
Job security is very good very hard work close and convenient pay is very good management not very good always on your back to much bullying for my liking
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Needs more staff for busy pace
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Hampshire11 March 2018
Great company, interesting job, good pay and benefits. However, it is very fast paced and sometimes matching all the animals needs can be very diffcult whilst juggling lots of tasks on top of that to do as well. The store I worked at definitely needed more members of staff but isnt allowed more. When struggling with tasks, results in being told to 'make more time'. On the other hand, the company has many opportunities for you to progress and the colleagues make it fun. It is long hours but something I dont mind because of the fast pace environment, the time goes quickly.
Pros
-Animals -Opportunities to grow&progress -Good pay&benefits
Cons
-Need more staff -Rude customers -Not always enough time for animals.
unprofessional, little to no initial training
sales (Former Employee) –  tyne and wear9 March 2018
made to do unpaid overtime and worked 7 hours without break, unprofessional environment and training consisted of a handbook, no demonstrations on animal healthcare checks or how to clean cages safely
Pros
working with animals
Cons
poor training
Commited
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire22 February 2018
Fantastic animal welfare. Always something new. Excellent benefits and excellent job security. Can sometimes be long hours but thats retail. Dhare option available too.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Weekends
Fun place to work
Salon Manager, Dog Grooming (Current Employee) –  Barry, Vale of Glamorgan15 February 2018
Love the company. They always put pets before profit. And they oook after there team members. Really good yearly bonuses, at least 6 weeks holiday a year
Pros
Birthday payed day off
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liverpool5 February 2018
It is a great place to work at pets at home as it is a great job experience to work their as all the staff are kind and can help you with anything you need.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Fast pace environment
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walton le Dale, Lancashire30 January 2018
I worked here for my work experience while still at high school, on a normal day I would help clean out the animals and shelf stock while being assassinated by someone.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
A good workplace
Voluntary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire22 January 2018
I learned how to sort out the food for the animals, how to sort out the products and check the prices.

I enjoyed everything about my work experience.

I worked on Thursdays at Pets at home for 3 months at 09:00 to 15:30.

I never had any salary because I was on an unpaid work placement from college.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
I didn’t get any salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.