Pets at Home Pay & Benefits reviews

A friendly and fun place to work
Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon5 October 2018
Pets at Home is a very enjoyable and fun place to work, every day is different with a variety of customers and pets. A typical day at work consisted of putting point of sales stock outside and opening up, welcoming customers into the store and asking if they need any help. Carrying out tasks that have been asked of me by management. The workplace culture is also varied, younger and older members of staff throughout the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and helping them with everything they need for their new pet.
Pros
Competitive salary, friendly staff.
Cons
Late shifts.
friendly easy work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire28 September 2018
The work is easy and doesn't take much skill compared to other jobs, friendly workplace and fair breaks.
only fault would be the fact some employees don't take time to go over the more difficult aspects of the job in detail and the safety isn't great.
Pros
good lunch breaks
Cons
poor safety measures
A fun place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 September 2018
Although sometimes the job itself can be stressful when dealing with customers in a fast paced environment, it always has its benefits by being a relaxed place to work. It is always demanding, and my managers allow my shifts to be flexible around my social life.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Working weekends
Used to be quite a fun place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands21 September 2018
Pros

Colleague Discount - Helpful especially with larger shops.

Adoption for Pets - When it works it gives animals a second chance, although many of the gripes in terms of small cage size still persist, as with the shop floor animals.

Some genuinely nice colleagues - Many of the colleagues I worked with were a pleasure to work with. It made shifts more enjoyable and definitely made the time pass …

Cons

Poor management - High turnover of managers, let alone colleagues and managerial methods were poor, i.e apply sufficient pressure to get results. There was no care for colleagues as individuals and management had a very rigid mindset in terms of the swipe rate expected. They wouldn't accept that some customers simply didn't want a VIP card and would still patronise you at every opportunity. The whole culture of the company has deteriorated, along with its values.

Poor atmosphere and work environment - Being talked down to, certain people throwing their weight around and management would rarely if ever back you up, even if you had been verbally abused by a customer for refusing a pet sale on the grounds that the cage/tank was too small. Threats of disciplinary action to some, but not others, as some colleagues were shielded. The same colleagues forced to do workshops all the time. Poor tank sizes for hamsters and fish and too often colleagues would recommend the smallest cage size, instead of selling the benefits of a larger space.

No progression opportunities - In my experience no matter how hard you worked and the initiative you showed, you would never
  more... be given a real opportunity for progression.

Poor employee benefits - For instance study leave is supposed to allow colleagues some time off to concentrate on their education, but on requesting it I was told on no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be available. So why is it sold as a benefit of being a store colleague? Half of the so called benefits don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on.

Fish Neglect - Fish were either not fed enough, or fed too much which caused algae blooms. FHC paperwork and fish treatment paperwork were rarely signed. It was perplexing and sad to see such a lack of care quite frankly, especially from people that should have known better.

Lack of training and work ethic - Training was non existent, I was thrown into a busy store from the get go, and there were zero opportunities for further training going forward. The company 'step training' is also incredibly poor and long winded, and it takes far too long to sign colleagues off to sell pets.

Shoals - Instead of these being productive they were often just another opportunity for management and other colleagues to patronise you.
Loved it. groom room.
Grooming Assistant Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
I was in the groom room and, although having to start from scratch with learning it all, was in a very supportive environment. Management were helpful, staff were so lovely!

Only downside is groom room hours are so long! they vary from store to store but we all have 8-9 hr days, including weekends - it's on a rota so had 1 weekend off a month.
Pros
benefits are AMAZING
Cons
Long hours, social life takes a toll!
Very poorly managed
Pets at Home - Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Kingston Park1 September 2018
Very poorly managed store, pay incorrect, holidays incorrect . Head office very difficult to deal with ( some exceptions)
It was always difficuilt to get paid correctly - no one knew how the pay system worked.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Very poor manager
Productive and fun
Asistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire12 July 2018
Pets are fun to take care of and the environment is welcoming . management was kind and the schedules consisted of feeding , washing, and grooming pets for customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2018
This was a work placement I did so I can't speak on the salary and benefits but my time spent here was very enjoyable and the staff were all very friendly, fun and welcoming towards me and helped me with anything I was unsure of.
Pros
Lovely staff members
Cons
Long Hours, no pay
Can be hard but rewarding work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  various3 June 2018
Probably one of the better retail positions. However the shift patterns are erratic and leave very little time for any sort of social/personal life. it is expected that you work beyond your contract, especially if you are on a salary, and you will rarely be given the time back..
Pros
reasonable pay and benefits. Good training program. Job variation
Cons
long hours. Erratic shift patterns. Zero work life balance
It's an okay job?
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 May 2018
To begin with the job is great, everyone is really nice ect but the longer you are there they except you to work over your contact all the time. hours are not always the same each week and they can change your shift at the very last minute without telling you. They expect you to work 24/7 with very little to no breaks.
Pros
Excellent pay ], rewards and holidays
Cons
Long hours, 1 year of training, management expect you to give up your social life and private life to them
hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent9 May 2018
Worked at Pets at Home for two weeks in Stoke on Trent for work experiance, cleaning fish tanks; feeding the rodents and some of reptiles also, I had to stock shelves
Pros
good hours
Cons
tiring work
Fun workplace, poor benefits
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom9 May 2018
Fun and interactive working environment.

No matter your role, you can guarantee that everyday is different. Customer interactions are generally enjoyable as they bring their pets in or are about to buy one.

Minimum wage, exaggerated expectations of management but if your not worried about your wage, a good place to be.
Pros
Fun Evironment
Cons
Poor Wages/Benefits
Management are rubbish. No career progression internally
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Rugby26 April 2018
Colleagues are good generally although there are sloppy lazy ones like anywhere else. Retail job itself is ok. Don't expect to interact with animals unless cleaning them out (1 person most shifts) or when selling to a customer. Corporate, Area and store level management are absolutely useless. Store Managers get away with doing very little and being completely un-PC. Opportunities for progression handed to outsiders with little or no animal knowledge. Progression for colleagues is very limited. Pets Before Profit sadly is being pushed aside in favour of budgets. Hours are tough sometimes starting at 6 am. Long hours until almost 9pm with no overtime if banking/closing manager is a twit. Very little opportunity to have fun (despite this being part of the mission statement).Always short staffed and staff turnover high so working every weekend is expected! Unless you want a slightly more interesting retail role than Tescos don't bother. Pay is just above min wage. Would never work there again!
Pros
It's a job. Some good employee benefits.
Cons
Get treated like a numpty most of the time. Not worth the pay and effort to go through the training.
Was a fun place to work
Staff (Former Employee) –  Staff floor25 April 2018
I liked working at pets at home I met some really nice and helpful people and they were also all willing to help me out if a had any problems as well.
Pros
Not long hours
Cons
Cold store
Fun Workplace
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Huddersfield17 April 2018
Love the ability to be interact with the customers pets aswell as the ones we sell as a company. Working hours are pretty flexible and the wage is also good for the job that you do. Animals are extremely cute and a pleasure to work with.
Busy environment with Good benefits
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  South Ayrshire7 April 2018
Good benefits with the company, some shop environments better than others. Questionable values from company but colleagues passionate and caring towards all animals in store and that visit.
16 years and loved almost every minute
Senior Store Manager Salary (Former Employee) –  Swindon3 April 2018
Great company to work for and very passionate about pets and animal welfare.
Great innovation especially on new products, they cared about team work and progression, not just about reaching targets.
Pros
good structure and benefits
Cons
long hours and drive
I was only work experience
Pets at home (Former Employee) –  Lichfield17 March 2018
I only did work experience here so I didnt get to experience the full benefits of a job there. I would've liked to learn more. But unfortunately it was only to fill my hours for college
Pros
Good pet advice
Cons
Didn't actually get a paid job
Not fun at all
wharehouse operative (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent12 March 2018
Job security is very good very hard work close and convenient pay is very good management not very good always on your back to much bullying for my liking
Pros
Discount on products
Cons
Needs more staff for busy pace
Colleague (Current Employee) –  Hampshire11 March 2018
Great company, interesting job, good pay and benefits. However, it is very fast paced and sometimes matching all the animals needs can be very diffcult whilst juggling lots of tasks on top of that to do as well. The store I worked at definitely needed more members of staff but isnt allowed more. When struggling with tasks, results in being told to 'make more time'. On the other hand, the company has many opportunities for you to progress and the colleagues make it fun. It is long hours but something I dont mind because of the fast pace environment, the time goes quickly.
Pros
-Animals -Opportunities to grow&progress -Good pay&benefits
Cons
-Need more staff -Rude customers -Not always enough time for animals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.