Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Shop Assistant

It's an okay job?
Shop Floor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh16 May 2018
To begin with the job is great, everyone is really nice ect but the longer you are there they except you to work over your contact all the time. hours are not always the same each week and they can change your shift at the very last minute without telling you. They expect you to work 24/7 with very little to no breaks.
Pros
Excellent pay ], rewards and holidays
Cons
Long hours, 1 year of training, management expect you to give up your social life and private life to them
A good workplace
Voluntary Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire22 January 2018
I learned how to sort out the food for the animals, how to sort out the products and check the prices.

I enjoyed everything about my work experience.

I worked on Thursdays at Pets at home for 3 months at 09:00 to 15:30.

I never had any salary because I was on an unpaid work placement from college.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
I didn’t get any salary
Fun, enjoyable, active.
Pet shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire4 January 2018
Working at Pets at Home was part of my Work Experience from High School. During my time here I was required to give food and water to animals and clean their exhibits, advise customers and selling pet care products, maintain stock levels and deal with deliveries as well as checking water temperatures and chemical balance in fish tanks and ensuring all animals are regularly checked for disease. Most of these tasks your required to work as a team however it could get messy as there isn't usually a 'team leader' allocated you were just required to do the job in hand.
Good overall service and customer care
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead19 November 2017
When I was doing unpaid work at pets at home I was working on the shop floor and in the warehouse meaning I had a wide range of different experience with not only people but animals aswell.
short hours
Shop Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland26 October 2017
My time at Pets at home was spent doing general shop duties such as stacking shelves, sweeping the shop floor, cleaning, bedding and feeding the animals.
Fantastic
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 October 2017
I love working for this company and they are excellent to their staff! They are kind to their colleagues and live up to their award of employer of the year!
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn
Cons
Can be stressful
Helper
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Bradford28 August 2017
Was fun to work with animals at a workplace, made working their a lot more fun and exciting. Also the people their were so kind and helpful with anything I didn't understand or know
n/a
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester18 August 2017
as I only worked here as a work experience person I would at its the best place to work at, moreover the staff and customers were all so friendly, al they were very kind.
Pros
long lunches
Cons
n/a
Enjoyable and friendly
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham31 July 2017
I spent my time with pets at home while i was undertaking my work experience module whilst in attendance at college. i enjoyed my time with pets at home and would love to be able to work within the company on a full time basis.
Pros
Nice staff, Friendly atmosphere
Fun and friendly place to work.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Festival Park22 June 2017
I worked for 4 days as it was for my work experience and I spent my hours from 9-till 3pm cleaning the animal enclosures and feeding them and I was also stocking shelves and assembling cages.
Pros
Petting the animals
Cons
I got no pay
fun place to be in, motivated, safe
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corby, Northamptonshire21 June 2017
was a brilliant place to work in, always made you feel welcome and would always be happy to help me when needed. great place to be in and with such a good team.
Pros
free lunches, great people
Cons
not that i can think of
fun place to work
Shop Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire14 June 2017
very good company to work for very nice work atmosphere don't know about the salary as my experience was work experience an unpaid. as for everything else I give it 4 starts
Pros
close to other stores so lunch is very easy and doesnt wast your time as in disatnce
Great experience.
Pet shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Ocean Retail Park Portsmouth6 June 2017
Pets At Home was a great business to work for as they promote the maintaining and management of welfare for a variety of animals. I learnt about the different types of animals that they cared for on a daily basis. I most enjoyed being able to care and maintain the welfare for the animals in the enclosures open to the public. At times where the animals had already been cared for there was little to due, therefore the cleaning of shelves became boring.
Pros
Learning whilst working.
Cons
Quite boring at times.
Really fun place to work
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire27 March 2017
If you are an animal person and a people's person who is confident this is the job for you. You have to be passionate about what they do. Enjoyable job good wage
Pros
Working with animals and staff discount
Cons
Signing up people to the vip sceam
Very poor work place
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside15 March 2017
I worked here for 4 months - I honestly couldn't stand it any longer!
The colleagues are friendly and easy to get a long with. The manager has some obvious favourites, this seems to be the case in many Pets at home stores. The recruitment process is poor for the management team, clearly.
Now the actual work is very boring and repetitive. You stack shelves, stack more shelves, occasionally go on till, stack MORE shelves and clean out one animal a week (if you're lucky!).
It's an even sadder story for the animals. They are referred to as "stock" and also kept in tiny tiny cages in the back. Often they don't get cleaned, their water is always cloudy and dirty and the syrians are placed together inappropriately - they often fight and leave injuries. The animals on display have perfectly clean cages with fresh food and water daily.
Overall a very unenjoyable environment to work in. I would never recommend.
Pros
Colleagues are friendly
Cons
No hours, repetitve boring work, poor management
Enjoyable place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Drayton, Greater London8 March 2017
Great job! If you love animals you will enjoy working here very much. Shop floor work is also fun as you get to interact with the public as well as being with the animals.
working day
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Poole4 March 2017
i had nothing but grief and distress from this company. i worked for them for quite a while.
Whilst working for them, i had a whole company investigation against myself for 'stalking' a staff management member.
Visiting a viewpoint that i have always visited with my friends for years, and happens the manager lived opposite the entrance.
Appalling response, no support whatsoever.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
management
Good experiences
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromsgrove, Worcestershire16 February 2017
When working at pets at home I found that it built my confidence up when working with different kind of animals, I also liked how long I worked for on the day 8 - 1:30, the staff there made me feel welcome when showing me and explaining the pro's and con's about the animals that I never really knew before, to improve there they would have to be more organised and positive with the store
Pros
Working with different animals
Cons
Productive and fun place to work
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnstaple6 February 2017
the day could include cleaning out small furries, fish tanks, stocking shelves, checking stock out the back but it is nice to work in a place where you can see and touch the animals.
I want to work at pets at home
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  sheffield23 January 2017
I been looking for a part job and you looking good company to work in
and I love pets so piz I want this job I go to dinnthon college and I am doing anmialns care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Pets at Home Reviews by Location