Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Colleagues make the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall16 January 2018
Working for this company for 4 years moving up within the store is really hard. The stress of the company is a joke and no help or support. Colleagues are undervalued with unrealistic expectations. Pay is awful!
Pros
Some colleagues are great to work with.
Cons
Everything about the job
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Suffolk12 November 2017
Pets at home is a good place to work, lots to learn and very enjoyable. Lots of courses of offer to pass skills and gain knowledge on different animals, I made lots of friends in the two years I worked here and miss It greatly.
Pay and conditions slowly being eroded by market forces
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall23 October 2017
Over the 4 years I worked for PAH the change has been meteoric.
Very professional from top to bottom and they do appreciate their staff.
Its very much harder than you could appreciate, both physically and mentally. Faster paced than you would observe from the outside.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset17 September 2017
great chance of progression, each day is different and they make your working hours fun and enjoyable. Friendly people to work with, management are understanding and listen to your issues.
Pros
Progression and Wage
Cons
can be tricky with some customers
Expect too much for too little pay
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire11 September 2017
I have worked for pets at home for roughly 5 years and had times when i loved working and times when i didnt. The teams themselves are great, very welcoming and friendly, and management tend to generally be nice too. However, to area managers and head office you are a number only and they make things hard for management, restricting contracts ect. Full time contracts are extremely hard to get, they prefer to give everyone 16hr contracts, they continually change opening times, they are on the whole very amateur as a company. there is no work life balance. They claim to put pets before profit, but at the end of the day put profit before pets.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
the company
Fun workplace
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire6 September 2017
Such a fun workplace if you like animals, staff are friendly and really helpful, I don't have a bad word to say about this place as I enjoyed every moment working here even though it was just work experience.
Not impressed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent5 September 2017
Very let down by the company as a whole. Management is extremely poor, they dont know how to manage a team. Lots of backstabbing. Pet sales are awful, not one colleague wants to do them
always have something to do
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London4 September 2017
working at pets at home is very fun and productive. you always have a job to do and to fulfil. the day is pretty repetitive which could be seen as a good thing in the beginning as it's easier to pick up however could get boring at some points
Pros
spend time with pets
Cons
A lot to clean
great work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham27 August 2017
staff very friendly, given plenty go]f jobs to do that was all very enjoyable, very much enjoyed working there, management was extremely helpful and friendly
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
sometimes left without anything to do
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall24 August 2017
i worked at pets at home for my high school work experience and i really enjoyed it! i got to work with animals which i loved and i really enjoyed the work environment.
Pros
working with animals
Not great
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester25 July 2017
Negative environment, poor colleague turn over, management not interested in career progression, pay was unstable, a lot of name calling colleagues behind their backs, tedious job role, a great lack of organisation, communication was poor, imagine working with a company for years and having to organise your own leaving do and not even receiving a card from management (people I actually got along with) just goes to show how much they actually care for their long time colleagues. I was going to write a fair statement but in all honesty it's got a really bad team moral environment, a lot of moaning and problems not being resolved seems to be happening in most stores at the moment too. It went from everyone working what they were given no questions asked to people deciding when they could and couldn't work and not even turning up for shifts. One rule for one and one for another. In all honesty it's ok for someone at uni or just left college but you can't live off that kind of wage and the hours are unpredictable doing anything from 16hrs a week to 37 extremely unreliable and didn't always get paid correctly because they manually type in hours on the computer in a busy office where collegeues are in and out all the time.
Pros
20% discount, bonus', work with animals
Cons
Pay, hours, moral
Brilliant.
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury14 July 2017
I loved working at Pets at Home, even though it was only for a short time. The other employees are great and very welcoming, and the customers are also very friendly. The animal care and general hygiene is fantastic, and you can clearly see the love for animals they all have. If i could have continued to work there i would have.
Pros
Great holiday policies and great training
Cons
I worked a lot more hours than i was supposed to, but that was mostly my fault for taking on too much in order to make people happy.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant /C-SQP (Former Employee) –  Northampton13 July 2017
typical jobs list
working stock from warehouse to shelves
serving customers on the till
selling pets/ fish
cleaning pets/ fish
tidying shop in the evening ready for following day

I learnt all about pet welfare and customer service and how the company works. Workbooks are given to new colleagues to complete pay rise given once second lot of workbooks are completed

Management are wonderful but there are some that can be quite strict, 'it's work not a hobby'

colleagues get on well with each other, can sometimes be a bit of trouble but it generally gets sorted out quite quickly - 'We're All Ears' rep to speak to in confidence.

Hardest part of the job- when pets get sick or customers come in with poorly pets to take to the vet. When you get attached to pets in store and then they are rehomed - its bittersweet.

Love spending time with the animals and talking to customers about their pets. Pet Club is a great way to educate younger pet owners. VIP Club has raised over 6 million pounds for charity (13/7/17) since launching loyalty card
Pros
working with colleagues who have 'Pet Passion'
Cons
shift patterns can be exhausting
Fun work place, great team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford12 July 2017
A great job to socialise if you don't already, easy to pick up if you are willing to learn, hours can be suited to you. Able to work with a wide variety of animals.
Pros
Make friends
Fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Netherfield and Colwick4 July 2017
• Communicating with customers on the ground floor, such as assisting customers to where items are located, also assisting them to get items, like checking the storage room.
• Putting hamster cages together, ready for display.
• Arriving at 6:00am to refill the animal’s water bottles.
• Changing the sale prices & refilling the shelves with new stock.
• Putting new animals in their cages/enclosures.
Pros
It was next to alot of food places.
Cons
It was far for me to walk.
its an ok job
sales and pet assistant (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire23 May 2017
HOW I LEARN

We get to do what we cool step books and on line test to help help us build owe skills up to be able to sell and got knowledge about pets. I have my steps 1 and 2 book.

MANAGEMENT

There are some managements within the store that are not quite approachable for colleges there are only two that I can really talk to if I have any problems and I feel I have so much more to give and I fell I am being held back a little bit.

HARDIEST PART

It can be very childish within this work place and this is not what i am there for.

ENJOYABLE PART

I love to work and put myself out for customs I also love to have cuddles with all the animals and puppy's.
Overall not bad
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Torquay, Devon19 May 2017
Pets at home can be a good career move for animal oriented people.that said their promotion policy is a little disjointed.i enjoyed my time there and I'm sure others will too.
Pros
Paid day off for birthday.
Cons
Unrealistic bonus targets.
Retail based
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead, Berkshire4 May 2017
I enjoyed my time at Pets at Home however I found that the retail value of the store over took the general welfare of the animals stocked/housed within store. I found the benefits and the effort made by management for advancement and development were brilliant however the managing of time spent on the shop floor staff was unfortunately lacking.
I mostly enjoyed the interaction with pet owners and their pets that visited the store. Customers are always super friendly and very understanding (most of the time).
I learned more bout stock placement and the density of the stocks throughout the stores within the UK.
Colleagues at the store were very friendly and I made a lot of friends.
If you think this role will be mainly animal based then unfortunately you will be dissapointed.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Animal welfare standards
Very good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire2 May 2017
Loved it there very friendly people, always take care of their staff and animals very clean always well organised, never failed to reach the standards of the work place
fun place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sunderland, Tyne and Wear27 April 2017
lovely colleagues extremely fun and a lovely time working there, always understanding of home life and always there to help when needed. great place to work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Pets at Home Reviews by Location