Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

fun to work
good workers
manager is kind
good place
customers love looking at the animals
the hardest part of the job is cleaning the animals out
Pros
feeding animals
Cons
All staff were extremely helpful and polite!
Sales Assistant/Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire11 February 2018
Since this was only work experience and lasted a total of a week. I really enjoyed it, I was excited to go into work everyday, since everyone was nice! I would recommend working with a place like Pets At Home - especially if you have a passion for animals like I do. I was involved with a lot of jobs which went I was on my feet all day, giving a helping hand around the store. I mostly helped prepare to made the animals food and water bottles, I cleaned the pens/cages externally and internally. I dealt with customers and any problems that came across. Overall I wouldn’t mind working there.
Pros
Polite staff
Valuable Exerience
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire9 February 2018
This temporary job placement allowed me to gain some skills needed for the workplace. The staff were kind and outgoing and gave it there all to make me feel comfortable. They seemed extremely organised and prepared for me upon arrival.
Amazing team, a lot of responsibility.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lancashire25 January 2018
The colleagues who work at pets at home are usually amazing to work with, but it is a normal retail environment at the end of the day with alot more responsibility than a normal retail job.
Fun and good for animal lovers
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London18 January 2018
When you arrive you would usually make sure that the animals are well and start replenishing stock for the day ahead for the first hour or two. The rest of the day are spent making sure customers are happy and helped and that the store is clean.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 January 2018
I regret leaving sometimes as I could have progressed further if I had stayed, the training is extensive and thorough and there are always courses to attend should you want to go further in the business. The perks are great too (apart from weekend working but thats retail for you).
Pros
Lots of training free to you
Cons
Retail hours, bank holidays etc.
Colleagues make the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall16 January 2018
Working for this company for 4 years moving up within the store is really hard. The stress of the company is a joke and no help or support. Colleagues are undervalued with unrealistic expectations. Pay is awful!
Pros
Some colleagues are great to work with.
Cons
Everything about the job
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Suffolk12 November 2017
Pets at home is a good place to work, lots to learn and very enjoyable. Lots of courses of offer to pass skills and gain knowledge on different animals, I made lots of friends in the two years I worked here and miss It greatly.
Pay and conditions slowly being eroded by market forces
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Truro, Cornwall23 October 2017
Over the 4 years I worked for PAH the change has been meteoric.
Very professional from top to bottom and they do appreciate their staff.
Its very much harder than you could appreciate, both physically and mentally. Faster paced than you would observe from the outside.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Poole, Dorset17 September 2017
great chance of progression, each day is different and they make your working hours fun and enjoyable. Friendly people to work with, management are understanding and listen to your issues.
Pros
Progression and Wage
Cons
can be tricky with some customers
Expect too much for too little pay
sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire11 September 2017
I have worked for pets at home for roughly 5 years and had times when i loved working and times when i didnt. The teams themselves are great, very welcoming and friendly, and management tend to generally be nice too. However, to area managers and head office you are a number only and they make things hard for management, restricting contracts ect. Full time contracts are extremely hard to get, they prefer to give everyone 16hr contracts, they continually change opening times, they are on the whole very amateur as a company. there is no work life balance. They claim to put pets before profit, but at the end of the day put profit before pets.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
the company
Fun workplace
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield, West Yorkshire6 September 2017
Such a fun workplace if you like animals, staff are friendly and really helpful, I don't have a bad word to say about this place as I enjoyed every moment working here even though it was just work experience.
Not impressed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kent5 September 2017
Very let down by the company as a whole. Management is extremely poor, they dont know how to manage a team. Lots of backstabbing. Pet sales are awful, not one colleague wants to do them
always have something to do
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ruislip, Greater London4 September 2017
working at pets at home is very fun and productive. you always have a job to do and to fulfil. the day is pretty repetitive which could be seen as a good thing in the beginning as it's easier to pick up however could get boring at some points
Pros
spend time with pets
Cons
A lot to clean
great work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wokingham27 August 2017
staff very friendly, given plenty go]f jobs to do that was all very enjoyable, very much enjoyed working there, management was extremely helpful and friendly
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
sometimes left without anything to do
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall24 August 2017
i worked at pets at home for my high school work experience and i really enjoyed it! i got to work with animals which i loved and i really enjoyed the work environment.
Pros
working with animals
Not great
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester25 July 2017
Negative environment, poor colleague turn over, management not interested in career progression, pay was unstable, a lot of name calling colleagues behind their backs, tedious job role, a great lack of organisation, communication was poor, imagine working with a company for years and having to organise your own leaving do and not even receiving a card from management (people I actually got along with) just goes to show how much they actually care for their long time colleagues. I was going to write a fair statement but in all honesty it's got a really bad team moral environment, a lot of moaning and problems not being resolved seems to be happening in most stores at the moment too. It went from everyone working what they were given no questions asked to people deciding when they could and couldn't work and not even turning up for shifts. One rule for one and one for another. In all honesty it's ok for someone at uni or just left college but you can't live off that kind of wage and the hours are unpredictable doing anything from 16hrs a week to 37 extremely unreliable and didn't always get paid correctly because they manually type in hours on the computer in a busy office where collegeues are in and out all the time.
Pros
20% discount, bonus', work with animals
Cons
Pay, hours, moral
Brilliant.
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salisbury14 July 2017
I loved working at Pets at Home, even though it was only for a short time. The other employees are great and very welcoming, and the customers are also very friendly. The animal care and general hygiene is fantastic, and you can clearly see the love for animals they all have. If i could have continued to work there i would have.
Pros
Great holiday policies and great training
Cons
I worked a lot more hours than i was supposed to, but that was mostly my fault for taking on too much in order to make people happy.
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant /C-SQP (Former Employee) –  Northampton13 July 2017
typical jobs list
working stock from warehouse to shelves
serving customers on the till
selling pets/ fish
cleaning pets/ fish
tidying shop in the evening ready for following day

I learnt all about pet welfare and customer service and how the company works. Workbooks are given to new colleagues to complete pay rise given once second lot of workbooks are completed

Management are wonderful but there are some that can be quite strict, 'it's work not a hobby'

colleagues get on well with each other, can sometimes be a bit of trouble but it generally gets sorted out quite quickly - 'We're All Ears' rep to speak to in confidence.

Hardest part of the job- when pets get sick or customers come in with poorly pets to take to the vet. When you get attached to pets in store and then they are rehomed - its bittersweet.

Love spending time with the animals and talking to customers about their pets. Pet Club is a great way to educate younger pet owners. VIP Club has raised over 6 million pounds for charity (13/7/17) since launching loyalty card
Pros
working with colleagues who have 'Pet Passion'
Cons
shift patterns can be exhausting
Fun work place, great team
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford12 July 2017
A great job to socialise if you don't already, easy to pick up if you are willing to learn, hours can be suited to you. Able to work with a wide variety of animals.
Pros
Make friends
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Pets at Home Reviews by Location