Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

A friendly and fun place to work
Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon5 October 2018
Pets at Home is a very enjoyable and fun place to work, every day is different with a variety of customers and pets. A typical day at work consisted of putting point of sales stock outside and opening up, welcoming customers into the store and asking if they need any help. Carrying out tasks that have been asked of me by management. The workplace culture is also varied, younger and older members of staff throughout the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and helping them with everything they need for their new pet.
Pros
Competitive salary, friendly staff.
Cons
Late shifts.
Poor work life balance
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnersh, Berkshire26 September 2018
Great for getting foot in the door for animal related work.
Taught me lots about animal welfare and care, including medication and spotting illness.

Your experience depends entirely on management.
Used to be a great environment, but a lot of animal husbandry has changed, which i found to be upsetting.

If you find yourself with good management and everyone seems to get along, stick with it.
Pros
20% Discount with vets, groomers and pets at home, animal care experiance, progression oppertunities
Cons
long hours, sometimes demoralising, lots of physical work
Used to be quite a fun place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands21 September 2018
Pros

Colleague Discount - Helpful especially with larger shops.

Adoption for Pets - When it works it gives animals a second chance, although many of the gripes in terms of small cage size still persist, as with the shop floor animals.

Some genuinely nice colleagues - Many of the colleagues I worked with were a pleasure to work with. It made shifts more enjoyable and definitely made the time pass …

Cons

Poor management - High turnover of managers, let alone colleagues and managerial methods were poor, i.e apply sufficient pressure to get results. There was no care for colleagues as individuals and management had a very rigid mindset in terms of the swipe rate expected. They wouldn't accept that some customers simply didn't want a VIP card and would still patronise you at every opportunity. The whole culture of the company has deteriorated, along with its values.

Poor atmosphere and work environment - Being talked down to, certain people throwing their weight around and management would rarely if ever back you up, even if you had been verbally abused by a customer for refusing a pet sale on the grounds that the cage/tank was too small. Threats of disciplinary action to some, but not others, as some colleagues were shielded. The same colleagues forced to do workshops all the time. Poor tank sizes for hamsters and fish and too often colleagues would recommend the smallest cage size, instead of selling the benefits of a larger space.

No progression opportunities - In my experience no matter how hard you worked and the initiative you showed, you would never
  more... be given a real opportunity for progression.

Poor employee benefits - For instance study leave is supposed to allow colleagues some time off to concentrate on their education, but on requesting it I was told on no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be available. So why is it sold as a benefit of being a store colleague? Half of the so called benefits don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on.

Fish Neglect - Fish were either not fed enough, or fed too much which caused algae blooms. FHC paperwork and fish treatment paperwork were rarely signed. It was perplexing and sad to see such a lack of care quite frankly, especially from people that should have known better.

Lack of training and work ethic - Training was non existent, I was thrown into a busy store from the get go, and there were zero opportunities for further training going forward. The company 'step training' is also incredibly poor and long winded, and it takes far too long to sign colleagues off to sell pets.

Shoals - Instead of these being productive they were often just another opportunity for management and other colleagues to patronise you.
Very poorly managed
Pets at Home - Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Kingston Park1 September 2018
Very poorly managed store, pay incorrect, holidays incorrect . Head office very difficult to deal with ( some exceptions)
It was always difficuilt to get paid correctly - no one knew how the pay system worked.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Very poor manager
Friendly Staff and great atmosphere
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield17 August 2018
The work culture was very good, everyone was friendly. I had to stock the shelves and help with the deliveries. I also had to help the customers locate what they wanted.
store colleague
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Horsham17 July 2018
very commercial setting, didn't feel like the animals were the main concern and the shop was more important. think the pay could of been better for the hours worked and the tasks carried out during the day
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2018
This was a work placement I did so I can't speak on the salary and benefits but my time spent here was very enjoyable and the staff were all very friendly, fun and welcoming towards me and helped me with anything I was unsure of.
Pros
Lovely staff members
Cons
Long Hours, no pay
Awful place and people
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire23 May 2018
It's an awful company to work for, it's face fits with these lot they are so judgmental and will bully you if you don't fit in. There is definitely favoritism, they dont care about animal Welfare and the staff are very sly and fake about customers. Would not recommend due to not paying me properly and bullying in the workplace. Very expensive too
Pros
Could take my dog to work
Cons
Sly fake and colleagues, don't get paid for all hours you work, don't care about animal Welfare
Productive and friendly staff
Part time store colleague (Former Employee) –  Hatfield9 May 2018
A typical day at work would be coming in at 9am, i then would clean out the rabbits and guinea pigs at the front of the store. Once this is done i restocked water and food for all the animals on the shop floor and behind the shop. I would then stock shelves and put up new offers. lunch will be at 12 i will then go back and look after the ill animals and feed them and clean them out.
Pros
an hour lunch break
hard work
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent9 May 2018
Worked at Pets at Home for two weeks in Stoke on Trent for work experiance, cleaning fish tanks; feeding the rodents and some of reptiles also, I had to stock shelves
Pros
good hours
Cons
tiring work
Busy environment with Good benefits
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  South Ayrshire7 April 2018
Good benefits with the company, some shop environments better than others. Questionable values from company but colleagues passionate and caring towards all animals in store and that visit.
helped me become independant
store assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester25 February 2018
pets at home was only my work experience when attended school, but it helped me gain the basic skills everyone needs to work, I it helped me be independent on terms of getting to work on time everyday, providing my own lunch etc. it helped me with my customer service skills face to face. it helped my listening skills and how to take instructions well.
Pros
met new people
Cons
spent my luches on my own
A lovely place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Tiverton5 February 2018
Pets at home is a lovely place to work and you feel like you are a big family. The animal care is brilliant and they do so much behind the scenes for the animals that customers don't know about.
The staff act like a big family and the managers actually get stuck in and help you. They will help with animal cleaning when asked and dont treat you any differently.
The company do help you to get higher in the business and also be able to specialise in different subjects that you are interested in.
Overall one of the best companies i have worked for. The only negative and reason i left is the hours and pay as the stores are open until 8pm in the evening and sometimes you have to start at 6am if there is a delivery.
Pros
Positive company
Cons
Hours and pay
Stress free, enjoyable but not amazing
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Shrewbury1 February 2018
Like most places the experience heavily relied on management. Not very supportive of employees in full time education. Once my contract was put to 0 hours, I was not told about shifts I’d been put on then dismissed due to not showing up to work... very unfair.
Pros
Training
Cons
Duties often unfair, 0 hours leading to unfair dismissal
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
Great colleagues in workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Speke24 January 2018
I worked at Pets at Home Speke for 1 week for work experience. The workplace always had something to do and my other colleagues within the workplace were friendly and willing to offer support when needed. I learnt to organise stock on shelves within the store and also learnt basics on working as a cashier. One of the hardest parts for me personally was working with customers with more specific requests such as recommendations and advice, as I didn't have enough knowledge to give sufficient advice; however, I suppose that could not have been helped. This is a very relaxed company to work for and I highly recommend them.
Pros
Friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
N/a
Friendly but frantic place to work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Bracknell23 January 2018
You won't find a team to work with quite like this anywhere else, everyone is friendly and a little bit crazy and will make you feel like part of the family but the work is hard. It is a very labour intensive job and the customers can be very demanding.
Pros
Lots of training
Cons
Management gets moved around which can disrupt the team ethos
it was a fun place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prescot5 January 2018
As I only did work experience for about 3 days in this place i am not very knowledge on everything about it, but the time i spent there i think that i learnt retail skills and sales skills and the typical work day was quite hard.
Place for personal development and advancement
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex16 December 2017
The job is fulfilling and there is plenty of scope for personal development and advancement. You are expected to work as a team but also be able to work under your own initiative. Working hours start at 6.00 am and finish at 10.30 and the shop is open 7 days a week.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Very long opening hours, you need to be very flexible.
Awful store to work in
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire1 December 2017
Good company shame bicester is the worst pah to work for! Awful hours,favouritism, unknowladgeable and incompatend staff that don't know pet welfare. Would advice people not to work there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Pets at Home Reviews by Location