Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

it was a fun place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prescot5 January 2018
As I only did work experience for about 3 days in this place i am not very knowledge on everything about it, but the time i spent there i think that i learnt retail skills and sales skills and the typical work day was quite hard.
Awful store to work in
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire1 December 2017
Good company shame bicester is the worst pah to work for! Awful hours,favouritism, unknowladgeable and incompatend staff that don't know pet welfare. Would advice people not to work there.
Amazing work environment
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limavady28 November 2017
I found this employment opportunity fun and different as I hadn't worked in an environment that had animals before yet it helped me gain new skills and provided me with new information within the job.
Pros
working with animals, friendly staff
Good company to work for
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Gloucester28 November 2017
Good company, compassionate about pets, good work life balance great training and supporting in store teams.
Lots of ability to develop and progress in company
Pros
Cute fluffy animals
Great place to work, opportunities to progress
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Essex20 November 2017
Really love working here but I don't want a career out of it. Its great working with animals and the company really does put pets before profit. I really dislike pet workshops, where we teach big groups of children about animal care, even if you are terrified of public speaking they will make you do it regardless. Otherwise its a great job, decent pay.
Pros
colleague discount, discount at the vets, lots to train on
Cons
lots of half shifts (3-9pm) with no break.
Fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester4 November 2017
My role was stacking the shelves , making sure stock on the shelves wasnt running low . Till work 'customer service. Answeing calls and helping with enquiries. Cleaning out the animals . Cleaning duties when we was near to closing . I enjoyed the job as you got to meet lots of different people during the day .
Pros
Meeting people
Okay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire31 October 2017
Nice place friendly team fun everyday is different laughs, animals are great to work with. Get to progress to the groom room or sometimes vets. Store transfers available
Fun
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Byfleet23 October 2017
Fun place to work if u enjoy working with pets
Putting delivery away
Working on the till
Serving customers
1 hour lunch break with cigarette breaks
Training given
Fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentford, Greater London7 October 2017
A bubbly work place that are keen to give their employees as much training as possible. Very easy to progress in this company. Pets at Home only employ upbeat and energetic individuals.
Pros
Working with animalse
Lots of favourtism
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Not applicable6 October 2017
Lots of favouritism. If ur not in the in crowd then u get treated like rubbish. Manager r backstabbers. Will throw u under the bus if theyre in trouble. Colleagues who dont work get away with everything but if u take a five minute break u get told off for not working. Lots of favouritism and very unfair
Cons
Too much favouritism
Good place to work, plenty of opportunities to learn and educate others
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Dorset4 October 2017
Great job, not just dealing with the animals. Get lots of chances to learn on the job and also always the possibility to teach others about how best to care for animals. Can be difficult when people don't listen and you see poor welfare. It is a retail store so you don't get to 'play' with the animals, but daily cleaning/spot cleaning means you get lots of interactions with them.
Lots of benefits for the staff, such as once trained you get a pay rise and birthday off (paid). Management are good and very efficient. Hours are really flexible and vary from 4 to 9 hours.
Pros
Pay rise when finished training, plenty of opportunities to learn, can help welfare of animals, good pay.
Cons
Some staff don't have much enthusiasm for animals and some staff will sell social animals singly.
Awful management
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester13 September 2017
Awful management, all about profit and not pets.
if you do not reach impossible targets you get disiplined.
no work life balanace at all. not a good place to work
Great Place To Work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 August 2017
Enjoyable place to work lots of courses to participate in and gain city & guilds qualifications. Annual bonus based on several things within the workplace. Most enjoyable part of the job is FUN, PETS, TEAM & BONUS (what we get i got approx £600 this year it is worked out based on hours worked)
Pros
Fun, Pets & team
No playing with the animals
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Cumbernauld, North Lanarkshire16 August 2017
First of all, you DON'T get to play with the animals like everyone thinks, it's a great job with good company ethics but the animals aren't always coming first, it's usually sales first, the pet training and knowledge could be improved upon but it's been years since I worked there so may well have improved.
Very busy and interesting business
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bangor, Gwynedd8 August 2017
I more than enjoyed attending work experience here. I received plenty of training in different areas of retail and I received training in some animal care. I felt motivated each day to complete a variation of tasks.
Pros
Flexible hours
productive
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, North Yorkshire1 August 2017
I had word experience at pets at home cleaning and stock taking I enjoyed it but decided it wasn't the job for me,it was a good job and the people were nice.
Pros
meet new poeple
Cons
tiring
Great First Job
STORE COLLEAGUE (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire24 July 2017
Great first job to have with constant work to be done so that you are never sat twiddling your thumbs. Be preopared for a wide variety of customers and no day is the same.
Fun workplace for those wanting to learn about animals!
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Hampshire23 July 2017
Overall, PAH is a brilliant place to work if you want to progress in the field of animals. There are lots of benefits and it is very team orientated.

However, every pay day I had problems with the payroll not paying me the right amount, the managers said they were sorting it but did nothing so I had to, as I was down £300 one month!

Some managers I worked with did tend to make up their own rules when they saw fit - sometimes felt picked on by one manager in particular but I don't feel that is a reflection on the company at all as you don't get on with everyone in this world!
Pros
benefits, bonus, animals, fun
Cons
payroll, unfair managers
Friendly Enviroment
Retail Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Sheffield29 June 2017
Whilst i was doing Work Experience at Pets At Home it was a good experience being able to get close to the animals and to care for them. i have learned how to keep the environment clean tidy and as safe as possible for staff and also the customers. The hardest part of the job was to going into the back and taking the animals out of their cages to clean them out. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting close and caring for the animals and getting the customer service improved.
Care more for bussiness than colleagues
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire21 June 2017
The company cares more for money and the business than it does for its colleagues and it's animals. It's not pets before profit at all, as pets bedding is taken away just so "customers can see the pets better" they are overfed just so "customers can always see they have food". It becomes very depressing very fast, and my mental health suffered greatly in this job, to which the company couldn't have cared less about. All they care about is people being flexible, and will not accommodate for any reason. I did make some great friends, and loved caring and learning for the animals, but I couldn't get away from this company fast enough. Colleague and management turn over was atrocious.
Pros
Caring for animals
Cons
Shift patterns, politics, drama, insensitive company

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Pets at Home Reviews by Location