Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

helped me become independant
store assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester25 February 2018
pets at home was only my work experience when attended school, but it helped me gain the basic skills everyone needs to work, I it helped me be independent on terms of getting to work on time everyday, providing my own lunch etc. it helped me with my customer service skills face to face. it helped my listening skills and how to take instructions well.
Pros
met new people
Cons
spent my luches on my own
A lovely place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Tiverton5 February 2018
Pets at home is a lovely place to work and you feel like you are a big family. The animal care is brilliant and they do so much behind the scenes for the animals that customers don't know about.
The staff act like a big family and the managers actually get stuck in and help you. They will help with animal cleaning when asked and dont treat you any differently.
The company do help you to get higher in the business and also be able to specialise in different subjects that you are interested in.
Overall one of the best companies i have worked for. The only negative and reason i left is the hours and pay as the stores are open until 8pm in the evening and sometimes you have to start at 6am if there is a delivery.
Pros
Positive company
Cons
Hours and pay
Stress free, enjoyable but not amazing
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Shrewbury1 February 2018
Like most places the experience heavily relied on management. Not very supportive of employees in full time education. Once my contract was put to 0 hours, I was not told about shifts I’d been put on then dismissed due to not showing up to work... very unfair.
Pros
Training
Cons
Duties often unfair, 0 hours leading to unfair dismissal
Just be wary if you want to work in a pet shop because you love animals.
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Trafford, Greater Manchester25 January 2018
As with most retailers, run on minimum staff to preserve profits. Stores are big, so it gets tough to cover the shop floor and the tills. Pay is just above min wage. Customers have lots of questions about all sorts of things, pet food, pet illnesses, behaviour, training, breeding, etc and will expect you to know it all. Customers bring their dogs in, which is fab. The company 'ethos' is pets before profit which sounds good but isn't always the case. Cleaning, health checking & feeding of pets is left to one member of staff each day. But that member of staff will also have to help customers, cover the till, carry things to cars..etc. So pets often left to wait for food/cleaning or their medications due to this understaffing. Expect to deal with ill animals on a daily basis & sometimes worse, as pets bought in from external suppliers can be weak/overbred (fish especially.) No time to play with, or handle the animals like some people assume. You'll learn lots about each type of pet in store, through workbooks- you're tested on these before you can sell pets. A lot of customers wanting to buy a pet are too impatient to listen to your petcare guidelines. So you can refuse a pet sale if you see fit. Some pets are returned by people because their kids get 'bored' of them- this can be deeply saddening & infuriating as some returned pets are neglected. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with these situations whilst still being polite to that person. Animals go into the Adoption Centre, free of charge to the customer, a nice initiative from the company. Company pays for vet treatments.  more... Big stock deliveries, bulky heavy items. Shifts anytime between 6am and 8.30pm. The stores raise lots of money for animal charities which is very honorable. Area managers only concerned about £££, but the staff in the stores are hard working people that do their best, whilst working for a company that in my opinion will eventually wear you down.  less
Pros
Store staff are humble and hardworking. You'll get to know customers and their pets.
Cons
Pet welfare compromised due to understaffing.
Great colleagues in workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Speke24 January 2018
I worked at Pets at Home Speke for 1 week for work experience. The workplace always had something to do and my other colleagues within the workplace were friendly and willing to offer support when needed. I learnt to organise stock on shelves within the store and also learnt basics on working as a cashier. One of the hardest parts for me personally was working with customers with more specific requests such as recommendations and advice, as I didn't have enough knowledge to give sufficient advice; however, I suppose that could not have been helped. This is a very relaxed company to work for and I highly recommend them.
Pros
Friendly, helpful colleagues
Cons
N/a
Friendly but frantic place to work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Bracknell23 January 2018
You won't find a team to work with quite like this anywhere else, everyone is friendly and a little bit crazy and will make you feel like part of the family but the work is hard. It is a very labour intensive job and the customers can be very demanding.
Pros
Lots of training
Cons
Management gets moved around which can disrupt the team ethos
it was a fun place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prescot5 January 2018
As I only did work experience for about 3 days in this place i am not very knowledge on everything about it, but the time i spent there i think that i learnt retail skills and sales skills and the typical work day was quite hard.
Place for personal development and advancement
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex16 December 2017
The job is fulfilling and there is plenty of scope for personal development and advancement. You are expected to work as a team but also be able to work under your own initiative. Working hours start at 6.00 am and finish at 10.30 and the shop is open 7 days a week.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Very long opening hours, you need to be very flexible.
Awful store to work in
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire1 December 2017
Good company shame bicester is the worst pah to work for! Awful hours,favouritism, unknowladgeable and incompatend staff that don't know pet welfare. Would advice people not to work there.
Amazing work environment
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limavady28 November 2017
I found this employment opportunity fun and different as I hadn't worked in an environment that had animals before yet it helped me gain new skills and provided me with new information within the job.
Pros
working with animals, friendly staff
Good company to work for
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Gloucester28 November 2017
Good company, compassionate about pets, good work life balance great training and supporting in store teams.
Lots of ability to develop and progress in company
Pros
Cute fluffy animals
Great place to work, opportunities to progress
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Essex20 November 2017
Really love working here but I don't want a career out of it. Its great working with animals and the company really does put pets before profit. I really dislike pet workshops, where we teach big groups of children about animal care, even if you are terrified of public speaking they will make you do it regardless. Otherwise its a great job, decent pay.
Pros
colleague discount, discount at the vets, lots to train on
Cons
lots of half shifts (3-9pm) with no break.
Fun
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester4 November 2017
My role was stacking the shelves , making sure stock on the shelves wasnt running low . Till work 'customer service. Answeing calls and helping with enquiries. Cleaning out the animals . Cleaning duties when we was near to closing . I enjoyed the job as you got to meet lots of different people during the day .
Pros
Meeting people
Okay
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire31 October 2017
Nice place friendly team fun everyday is different laughs, animals are great to work with. Get to progress to the groom room or sometimes vets. Store transfers available
Fun
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Byfleet23 October 2017
Fun place to work if u enjoy working with pets
Putting delivery away
Working on the till
Serving customers
1 hour lunch break with cigarette breaks
Training given
Fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brentford, Greater London7 October 2017
A bubbly work place that are keen to give their employees as much training as possible. Very easy to progress in this company. Pets at Home only employ upbeat and energetic individuals.
Pros
Working with animalse
Lots of favourtism
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Not applicable6 October 2017
Lots of favouritism. If ur not in the in crowd then u get treated like rubbish. Manager r backstabbers. Will throw u under the bus if theyre in trouble. Colleagues who dont work get away with everything but if u take a five minute break u get told off for not working. Lots of favouritism and very unfair
Cons
Too much favouritism
Good place to work, plenty of opportunities to learn and educate others
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Dorset4 October 2017
Great job, not just dealing with the animals. Get lots of chances to learn on the job and also always the possibility to teach others about how best to care for animals. Can be difficult when people don't listen and you see poor welfare. It is a retail store so you don't get to 'play' with the animals, but daily cleaning/spot cleaning means you get lots of interactions with them.
Lots of benefits for the staff, such as once trained you get a pay rise and birthday off (paid). Management are good and very efficient. Hours are really flexible and vary from 4 to 9 hours.
Pros
Pay rise when finished training, plenty of opportunities to learn, can help welfare of animals, good pay.
Cons
Some staff don't have much enthusiasm for animals and some staff will sell social animals singly.
Awful management
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester13 September 2017
Awful management, all about profit and not pets.
if you do not reach impossible targets you get disiplined.
no work life balanace at all. not a good place to work
Great Place To Work
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside16 August 2017
Enjoyable place to work lots of courses to participate in and gain city & guilds qualifications. Annual bonus based on several things within the workplace. Most enjoyable part of the job is FUN, PETS, TEAM & BONUS (what we get i got approx £600 this year it is worked out based on hours worked)
Pros
Fun, Pets & team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.

Pets at Home Reviews by Location