Pets at Home Employee Reviews for Assistant Manager

Great at Store level
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  South West7 October 2017
A great job at store level but ruined by Area managers and upwards.
Unrealistic KPI's to meet and you're sure to fail so they can avoid paying the yearly bonus.
I'm part of the management team and for a manager there are far better paid jobs out there. Area manager expects you to work on days off or pull all day shift's as managers are leaving in their droves. Being on salary, your equivalent hourly rate is below that of a colleague once you've worked 6 hours over your contracted 39.

Why have I not left if it's that bad you ask? The team, the guys I work with are like family and that is why i'm still treading water.
Pros
staff discount, colleagues
Cons
area manager, unrealistic targets
Great place
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim20 August 2017
Great place to work...been here 7 years and can't fault the company...good benefits and great teams. Love my pets at home family. Would always recommend them as employers
Not a job for you if you like animals
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Doncaster, South Yorkshire12 August 2017
And your only hope of progression is if your face fits. Awful work home life balance, you're treat as though you work for an emergency service and they ask for far too much for the wage.
Productive and fun
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend21 June 2017
Great culture and working environment. Excellent work life balance.dedicated staff, with excellent knowledge of products and animals instore. Very fun and productive.
Pros
Fun dedicated company.
Cons
None.
very good.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire9 June 2017
Great company to work for, work life balance very good however it is retail so must expect your fair share of evenings and weekend. enjoyed all parts of the jobs especially the animals.
positive
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  leeds8 June 2017
Will help with most training aspects as they have a wide variety of courses available. Reward and encourage fun with fancy dress weekends and bake sales.
Fast growning buisness
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Northwich, Cheshire8 January 2017
Great job for anyone any age, fast moving! You need to be fit and very active to work in such a busy place! Rewards are good and you are recognised for your efforts
Pros
Bonus
Excellent place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Basildon6 March 2016
Have been here for over 8 years and progressed up to management level. Fantastic team in my store. Courses are available to help everyone progress in themselves
Pros
Great benefits
A fun place to work with the chance to progress quickly.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Derby, Meteor Centre30 June 2015
As a manager a typical day can be opening up the store, department counts, making sure the colleagues are getting everything done on time, taking in delivery's and putting the stock out, booking in delivery's, ordering (pets, fish, plants) changing stock minimums, range reviews and all the way through to closing the store and cashing up the tills.

I have learned management skills and everything that comes with it. also the skills to run a big shop when I am the duty manager. I have learnt many other skills like becoming an SQP and being able to sell licence flea and worm medications. also to microchip pets and teach others to do so.
Pros
20% discount, can be a fun place to work
Cons
Long unpaid shifts expected of management when salary doesn't reflect this, not enough hours given to stores to run them properly.
Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Wimbledon, ENG17 February 2015
I currently work as an assistant manager at the pets at home branch in Wimbledon. On a daily basis, we do things such as stock counts, range reviews, negative counts, high/low losses, opening and closing of store, facing up and tidying.
Great employer
Assistant Manager (Full Time) (Current Employee) –  Bridgwater, ENG16 October 2014
Pets really come first.

Great training and opportunity to develop within the company if you are willing to travel.
Pros
Never boring
Cons
Can start work at 6 and some evenings work till 9.00
always lots to do
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  newhaven23 September 2014
On an average day I would come in and open the shop, check the floor and the animals. Look over the logs to make sure all pets had been well treated the previous evening. Get tills and check back office for information and emails. Plan the day in terms of task to be implemented, planograms etc. check the events planner and ensure that we were delivering targets. create an info board for all other colleagues. make sure all manual orders had been placed. Then start stock counts and adjustments and open shop.
Pros
fun
Cons
workload
Fun
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  ENG7 October 2013
The company is run by too many men, I enjoy working with all the other staff though.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Bad management
too much
Assistant Manager- Pets (Current Employee) –  Redhill, ENG26 August 2013
At the moment work is stressful, we are a 4 tier management store running on 2 managers. I am doing the job of 2 managers both assistant manager jobs. Normally I am in charge of animals which covers everything from animal welfare to making sure everyone is trained up and confident with the selling of animals, but lately I'm also in charge of the main shop deliveries. My typical day starts at 4:00am I work the delivery with a team of 3 people, most of our deliveries are over 900 cases/ items per deliver, depending on what day it is I will have to stop at either 7:00am or 8:30am to sit on a conferance call, then make sure the fire alarm has been tested for the week, make a change order for the week, get the tills out for the day, carry out safe check, check any emails and reply if needed. We normally finish the delivery by 9:00am if the frozen meat or live fish deliveries hasn't side tracked us. We open up for trade at 9:00am and then the main focus is customers. For the rest of my day I have to make sure the delivery we had just worked had been booked in and completed correctly with no out standing pallets missing, if pallets are missing report it to our distribution center, book in direct deliveries and file them, book in perscripton meds, place orders for live food, fish, plant, animals. Make sure everyone has had or is taking lunch/ tea breaks, answering manager bells that have been rung for customers or any problems on the tills and then I have to make sure all the animals have been cleaned out, fed and if meds are needed to be given or vet oppointments have been gone to  more... as well as completing paper work for all the animals . All this needs to be done before I finish my shirt at 1:15pm this is just a typical day the job of 2 people done by 1 person.  less
Pros
animals, people i work with, early shifts
Cons
work load, expected to work like robots, no social life
Watch your back!
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Suffolk21 November 2012
Worked there for 8 years and my last year there was made miserable by other members of the management team. If they decide they don't like you your out! It's a very clicky company and if you don't kiss butt to the right people you really are in trouble. Looking after the pets is nice but you do have to be quite a hard person as you will deal with deaths and many sick animals which can be quite upsetting.
Pros
careing for the animals
Cons
the management
enjoyable and exciting
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Romford19 August 2012
I had to interact with customers at all times, i worked from a colleague to assistant manager and was taught on the job, the colleagues were very supportive and it was fun to turn up every day
Pros
fun