Pets at Home Employee Reviews in London

Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
The staff were very friendly and were always at hand to help if ever I needed it.

The best part of the job is spending time caring for the animals (i.e. cleaning them out, feeding them, etc.)
fun place to work
Merchandising (Current Employee) –  london24 April 2018
The job itself doesn't revolve around animals that much. a few hours in the morning when cleaning out, and times throughout the day when checking up on their needs and welfare. most of the job is customer services, helping and advising their pets needs.
Fantastic
Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 October 2017
I love working for this company and they are excellent to their staff! They are kind to their colleagues and live up to their award of employer of the year!
Pros
Plenty of opportunity to learn
Cons
Can be stressful
Enjoyable working around animals
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  London15 February 2017
Early starts, but enjoyable most days.

Some days became boring when there were no customers and not many jobs to do around the work place.

The management was good as I knew what I was doing all day everyday.
Pros
Working with animals
fun but tiring
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 September 2016
There are lots of tasks to be completed in one shift and you won't get bored but if can be tiring. I had tasks such as cleaning cages then stocking shelves and then working on the till.
mean staff
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  London25 August 2016
Did my work experience their and regret it they used me for dirty work and didn't respect me at all i kept having to ask for work to do every ten minutes
Pros
long lunches
Cons
terrible staff, not alot to do
Awful
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  London31 July 2016
If you're an animal lover this isn't really the place for you. I worked here for several months but had to leave when I realized just how badly some of the animals were treated.

Management wasn't great and there was always an issue - I was a part time member but working 50+ hours a week and had to ask for rest days.

The team I worked with was great but there would only be 6 of you in on one day and you never finished your shift when you were supposed to.
Pros
Good lunch breaks
Cons
Shifts never finished on time
Good fun place to work but poor management
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London12 July 2016
I've been working at pets at home for a year now and when I first started I loved my job my team and my managers but it's all changed now my colleagues are backstabbing and will go behind your back if you do the slightest thing wrong and you can't trust them. My store manager cares more about store standards than pet welfare and works his staff into the ground by giving you loads of overtime and not enough days off, the other managers are lazy and do nothing all day and will happily ask you to stay extra hours after your shift so you end up doing a 14 hour shift and due to staff shortages, sickness and holidays this has become the norm. The only good thing about the job is you get to be around pets all day everyday and you get to interact with lovely customers who truly appreciate you. Area managers are useless and don't care what happens in store
Pros
Working with pets, lovely customers and meeting new people
Cons
Long hours, bad management, no work life balance
Educational and Productive
Part-time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London27 June 2016
I learnt basic customer skills and abilities as well as connecting with different type of animals.
Met with new people and made friendships
Colleagues and managers very polite and helpful
It was Something different
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London12 June 2016
My time working at Pets at home was ordinary such as stacking shelves and cleaning around the shop. I learnt how to communicate to other members of staff and also got on very well with my co-workers. I didn't find anything challenging within this job role although there was enjoyable bits such as holding and taking care of the various animals that were in the shop itself.
Pros
Cons
Long shifts
2 week work experience
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG30 January 2016
Nice place to work for any animal lover, the staff are trust worthy and the people visiting are friendly and intuitive, thoroughly enjoyed my time there, and was sad to leave
Best place i've worked so far,,,but
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London6 November 2015
The colleagues and manager are nice and helpful.
At first you get to work only with animals and cleaning the warehouse,so it's kind of boring. Also if you don't like bad smells and dirt,then you better reconsider this job,because you know animals are cute and everything but they smell and sometimes they bit,you get to handle snakes and reptils,rabbits,rats,guineapigs etc;
Also if you are not working with the animals,you will probably be working on the warehouse were you have to move boxes and heavy bags of animal food,sometimes all day,or facing up the products on the shelves. You usually start at 7 or 6,or later like midday and you will finish at half past eight in the evening. IN an 8 hour shift you get 1 hour of break,you can stay there or go home. You get a discount only after 3 months. The co-workers are helpful and nice most of them,also the managers are understanding and helpful.
Overall,if you have strength and not allergic to any hay or dust,this is not a very hard job. Though is not really like being a sales assistant.
I enjoyed working with this conpany the most in my career life.
Night Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  london14 September 2015
Hi there

I enjoyed working with this company the most in my career life.
If you have good team then it is so much fun to work with this company.
You could get bank holiday as in lieu, your birthday is a paid day off, if you are getting marrid you get an aditional a week paid off plus some high st. gift or shopping vouchers, if you'r having a baby then you get high st. shopping voucher, good bous at the end of the year.
Pros
paid birthday off, a week paid holiday to get married, shopping vouchers when you have a baby.
Cons
sometimes heavy lifting, and live pets could give you bite, Tb.
fun but poor management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG3 August 2014
I missed several important school and family engagements due to random sporadic forced meetings. Overtime was not paid for and the management was flighty, the store was understaffed and I received little one to one training.