Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 July 2018
The staff were very friendly and were always at hand to help if ever I needed it.

The best part of the job is spending time caring for the animals (i.e. cleaning them out, feeding them, etc.)
fun and enjoyable workplace
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cwmbran Town17 July 2018
great place to work with twists and bends on every shift. a typical day consisted of cleaning out and checking the animals health and welfare. i also helped with stock rotation . the team are very friendly and charming and seemed like family after a couple of weeks of volunteering.
Pros
getting to look after animals
people friendly
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent14 July 2018
very nice people always had something to do never had a dull moment would recomend to people if they wanted to work there always ask for help add they will do it with no argument
Pros
friendly people and always had work to do
Cons
working with the animals more
Productive and fun
Asistant (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire12 July 2018
Pets are fun to take care of and the environment is welcoming . management was kind and the schedules consisted of feeding , washing, and grooming pets for customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Rewarding and differant
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire9 July 2018
The company provides exceptional training on the job and progression can be very quick i was trained in pet nutrition , to caring for all pets including reptiles ,fish and small furries my main duties were deliveries which can be extremely hard work due to the size of some of them especially during the christmas period but can be enjoyable , everyday is different i was also tasked with till work and selling pets. As a whole i highly recommend the company as an exciting place to work.
Pros
Fun, excitin, different
Cons
Can be stressfull at times when busy.
social, yet slow work place
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  bloomfeilds, bangor8 July 2018
A typical day at work would be spent stocking shelves and facing cans outward. The minority of the day will be spent assisting costumers. which i enjoyed most. I learned that i do not enjoy retail jobs, yet i am willing to work a retail job. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting constumers and cleaning the cages and tanks. The hardest point of the job was to face cans outward as it was tedious and monotemous and does not fit my life style.
Pros
a designated, cooled lunch area
Cons
long distance from my house
Alright workplace
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydenham2 July 2018
I honestly didn't enjoy my week at this job. I was very excited to work at this job but during my stay, the staff were rude and accused me for something I didn't even do. I honestly wouldn't work there again. It wasn't a nice environment to work in.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
Staff were rude
Assisting staff (Former Employee) –  Wellingborough30 June 2018
Provided great support as whilst I was there I was pregnant with my child. Always very understanding if I could not attend one day. Always kept busy with different tasks each day.
It was a friendly environment but not busy
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury Park Station26 June 2018
Wasnt much to do during the work day, but it was a good workplace to be, with friendly coworkers. Cleaning out animals is a big part of the job, however it is a nice atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not busy
Perfectly fine place to work with flaws
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norfolk20 June 2018
Management lacks understanding for staff having a life outside of work, especially at weekends. The team are great to work with but it really is the store manager that spoils the place.
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Weekend work is madatory if you are at the bottom
fun workplae friendly staff
Trainee (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire18 June 2018
I had a load of fun in my short time here looking after animals and working in the warehouse I enjoyed meeting new people and working as a team overall a great experience
Fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds17 June 2018
This was a work placement I did so I can't speak on the salary and benefits but my time spent here was very enjoyable and the staff were all very friendly, fun and welcoming towards me and helped me with anything I was unsure of.
Pros
Lovely staff members
Cons
Long Hours, no pay
Fun work placement
Pets At Home (Former Employee) –  Hemel Hempstead15 June 2018
I would be building rabbit/hamster cages and helping out feeding the animals and giving them fresh water. The staff are very friendly and if you was to get stuck there is always someone there to give you a helping hand. As Im quite shy they made me feel very comfortable. I learned how to give the poorly animals their medication. The best part of this job was working with animals as Im a very passionate animal lover and this was defiantly enjoyable.
Pros
Good working hours
Cons
Not enough jobs to do
FIELD PET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  South West8 June 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my 9 years working for Pets at Home. I gained so much experience and knowledge with a company that looks after all it's colleagues.
Can be hard but rewarding work
Deputy Manager (Former Employee) –  various3 June 2018
Probably one of the better retail positions. However the shift patterns are erratic and leave very little time for any sort of social/personal life. it is expected that you work beyond your contract, especially if you are on a salary, and you will rarely be given the time back..
Pros
reasonable pay and benefits. Good training program. Job variation
Cons
long hours. Erratic shift patterns. Zero work life balance
Fantastic progression opportunities
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  Farnborough, Hampshire29 May 2018
Pets at Home was my first Saturday job at 16 Years old. I stayed with them for 7 Years and progressed with fantastic training very fast. Their training structures are clear and obtainable and the multiple locations mean there are lots of roles to be filled therefore employees have abundant opportunity if they wish to act upon it. I moved into the 'Groom Room' where I was trained from a Novice, to a qualified Dog Groomer and Salon Manager , competing countrywide and demonstrating at Cruft's.

It is Retail work so therefore hours can be antisocial however the workplace culture will make up for that !
Pros
Discounts, Extra Holiday Days, Great Training, Progression Opportunities
Cons
Retail working hours, Once Monthly Sunday Meetings
Fun place to work
Sales Advisor/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 May 2018
Pets at home was the best retail job I’ve had to date. You need to be able to be fully flexible but there’s loads of training opportunities and a lots of chance to climb the ladder in your career.
Pros
Great opportunities to progress
Cons
Not flexible
Awful place and people
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kidderminster, Worcestershire23 May 2018
It's an awful company to work for, it's face fits with these lot they are so judgmental and will bully you if you don't fit in. There is definitely favoritism, they dont care about animal Welfare and the staff are very sly and fake about customers. Would not recommend due to not paying me properly and bullying in the workplace. Very expensive too
Pros
Could take my dog to work
Cons
Sly fake and colleagues, don't get paid for all hours you work, don't care about animal Welfare
Great Place
Work Placement (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury22 May 2018
My work placement here went really well. With all of the employees being very nice and always professional in the view of customers, I learned a lot. I was always on my feet with a new task to complete. It felt good to be kept so busy.
Profit before pets
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Scotland19 May 2018
No breaks, no weekend days off, no two days off together, incompetent managers who couldn't manage a prayer in a mosque, grooms are rushed in a vain attempt to meet impossible targets, constant pressure to upsell services and push loyalty cards under pain of disciplinary action, and nothing you do will ever be good enough.
Pros
lose weight because you dont get lunch breaks!
Cons
everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.