Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Excellent
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Selby, North Yorkshire19 January 2018
whilst i was there i got to handle animals and help customers with enquires. the staff are very nice and welcoming and i recommend going there to anyone.
Fun
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff18 January 2018
Nice job. Work isn't overly stressful or demanding. Supportive managers and lovely customers. Had a good culture and ethos. I would recommend this company
Pros
Fun
Cons
Pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 January 2018
I regret leaving sometimes as I could have progressed further if I had stayed, the training is extensive and thorough and there are always courses to attend should you want to go further in the business. The perks are great too (apart from weekend working but thats retail for you).
Pros
Lots of training free to you
Cons
Retail hours, bank holidays etc.
Colleagues make the job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Walsall16 January 2018
Working for this company for 4 years moving up within the store is really hard. The stress of the company is a joke and no help or support. Colleagues are undervalued with unrealistic expectations. Pay is awful!
Pros
Some colleagues are great to work with.
Cons
Everything about the job
fun workplace
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Merseyside15 January 2018
it was a good experience for me working here and this taught me how to work in a good workplace and this was my first experience working here in pets at home
Fun work environment
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 January 2018
Great job, working with an encouraging team that always had my best interest. It was a fun work environment and bringing in our own pets was encouraged which also made for a stress relieving work space.
I didn't have the chance to continue working here as I had to leave to start at university but I could see there was a lot of opportunities to grow.
a very good company to work for
Senior store manager (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk5 January 2018
being in retail like any other retailer it was very busy, made some good friends with my regular customers, there was endless training to be had for those who wanted it.
it was a fun place to work
Retail Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Prescot5 January 2018
As I only did work experience for about 3 days in this place i am not very knowledge on everything about it, but the time i spent there i think that i learnt retail skills and sales skills and the typical work day was quite hard.
Fun, enjoyable, active.
Pet shop assistant (Former Employee) –  Paisley, Renfrewshire4 January 2018
Working at Pets at Home was part of my Work Experience from High School. During my time here I was required to give food and water to animals and clean their exhibits, advise customers and selling pet care products, maintain stock levels and deal with deliveries as well as checking water temperatures and chemical balance in fish tanks and ensuring all animals are regularly checked for disease. Most of these tasks your required to work as a team however it could get messy as there isn't usually a 'team leader' allocated you were just required to do the job in hand.
Place for personal development and advancement
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Harlow, Essex16 December 2017
The job is fulfilling and there is plenty of scope for personal development and advancement. You are expected to work as a team but also be able to work under your own initiative. Working hours start at 6.00 am and finish at 10.30 and the shop is open 7 days a week.
Pros
Discount.
Cons
Very long opening hours, you need to be very flexible.
Productive and professional.
Colleague (Former Employee) –  Worthing13 December 2017
On a typical day I would go in to work for, either 7am or 8am depending on the day, and I would either go out on the shop floor and stack the shelves or go and work on the tills. I learned good customer service, knowledge of animals and pulling forward on the shop floor. The hardest part of the job, in my opinion, was having to learn about all different types of animals and how to care for them. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to feed the animals.
Pros
Colleague discount.
Cons
Long hours on tills.
fun work place
Order Picker/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Trentham, Staffordshire12 December 2017
Hardest part of pets at home is lifting all day heavy bags also.. got use to at the end.
learned how to drive a lollop, also learned how to pick or pack.
its a great work place for a small period of time being there i enjoyed it so much, other workers can have a laugh with, everyone always so helpful.
management was okay.
i enjoyed it all, being on my feet was the best part of the job, even though i fount it hard at the start i got use to it , wouldnt mind working here again.
Productive work
Customer service enquiries (Former Employee) –  Telford and Wrekin, Shropshire7 December 2017
I got along with almost everybody I worked with.
The type of work I was doing was fun and I enjoyed working with them.
I liked helping the customers with their needs, answering their questions and helping them make the best decisions for their pets.
I also enjoyed helping the animals in store to find suitable homes.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Took a long time to travel
No care for colleagues
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent2 December 2017
I felt pushed out by managers and other colleagues. I was teased about my autism as well as my depression. I got bullied about my work and took it higher 3 times yet they did nothing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Bullying
Awful store to work in
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire1 December 2017
Good company shame bicester is the worst pah to work for! Awful hours,favouritism, unknowladgeable and incompatend staff that don't know pet welfare. Would advice people not to work there.
Could be so much better.
Salon Manager (Former Employee) –  UK30 November 2017
Looked down on for taking lunch break. Made to turn out dogs fast even if its not best for the pet. Targets completely unreachable so you get no bonus.
Pros
Complete training.
Cons
Horrendous enviorment to work in.
Amazing work environment
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Limavady28 November 2017
I found this employment opportunity fun and different as I hadn't worked in an environment that had animals before yet it helped me gain new skills and provided me with new information within the job.
Pros
working with animals, friendly staff
Good company to work for
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Gloucester28 November 2017
Good company, compassionate about pets, good work life balance great training and supporting in store teams.
Lots of ability to develop and progress in company
Pros
Cute fluffy animals
Underpaid, understaffed, Overworked, Pets at Home
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Kidderminster26 November 2017
This company has gone down hill in the last 1-2 years. Pay has not risen enough with inflation and does not line up with other companies of a similar field. The workload compared to other retail companies is way higher and the pay is lower.
The opportunity for advancement or promotion is there but rarely handed to the hard working and deserving even after the proper required training but rather through favouritism. Management and team in store is brilliant but upper management cannot be trusted.

Hours available for rota use in store are far too stretched to run the store effectively and to serve customers while being able to complete required work in store.
The only enjoyable part of the job is the work with animals.
Pros
Working with Pets
Cons
Underpaid, understaffed, over stressed, over worked
Great place to work, opportunities to progress
Store Colleague (Current Employee) –  Essex20 November 2017
Really love working here but I don't want a career out of it. Its great working with animals and the company really does put pets before profit. I really dislike pet workshops, where we teach big groups of children about animal care, even if you are terrified of public speaking they will make you do it regardless. Otherwise its a great job, decent pay.
Pros
colleague discount, discount at the vets, lots to train on
Cons
lots of half shifts (3-9pm) with no break.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.