Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland Retail Park, Midland Way, Mansfield19 October 2018
A typical day at work was to stock up the shelves and to answer any of the questions that the customers may have had. also, to clean out the animals before the shop opened
A friendly and fun place to work
Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon5 October 2018
Pets at Home is a very enjoyable and fun place to work, every day is different with a variety of customers and pets. A typical day at work consisted of putting point of sales stock outside and opening up, welcoming customers into the store and asking if they need any help. Carrying out tasks that have been asked of me by management. The workplace culture is also varied, younger and older members of staff throughout the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and helping them with everything they need for their new pet.
Pros
Competitive salary, friendly staff.
Cons
Late shifts.
Lovely place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex1 October 2018
I have liked working at Pets at Home very much. The people are very friendly but the hours were short and many. Animal selling was not my favourite part of the job. I wanted to progress to dog grooming but was not available at this time.
Pros
Close to home, people friendly and very enjoyable
Cons
Short shifts mostly every day
fantastic environment to nurture talent
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire29 September 2018
a great business to nurture talent with a real idea of promoting from within. great opportunities within the business to meet other people and a great training structure
friendly easy work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire28 September 2018
The work is easy and doesn't take much skill compared to other jobs, friendly workplace and fair breaks.
only fault would be the fact some employees don't take time to go over the more difficult aspects of the job in detail and the safety isn't great.
Pros
good lunch breaks
Cons
poor safety measures
Poor work life balance
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnersh, Berkshire26 September 2018
Great for getting foot in the door for animal related work.
Taught me lots about animal welfare and care, including medication and spotting illness.

Your experience depends entirely on management.
Used to be a great environment, but a lot of animal husbandry has changed, which i found to be upsetting.

If you find yourself with good management and everyone seems to get along, stick with it.
Pros
20% Discount with vets, groomers and pets at home, animal care experiance, progression oppertunities
Cons
long hours, sometimes demoralising, lots of physical work
A fun place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 September 2018
Although sometimes the job itself can be stressful when dealing with customers in a fast paced environment, it always has its benefits by being a relaxed place to work. It is always demanding, and my managers allow my shifts to be flexible around my social life.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Working weekends
Used to be quite a fun place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands21 September 2018
Pros

Colleague Discount - Helpful especially with larger shops.

Adoption for Pets - When it works it gives animals a second chance, although many of the gripes in terms of small cage size still persist, as with the shop floor animals.

Some genuinely nice colleagues - Many of the colleagues I worked with were a pleasure to work with. It made shifts more enjoyable and definitely made the time pass …

Cons

Poor management - High turnover of managers, let alone colleagues and managerial methods were poor, i.e apply sufficient pressure to get results. There was no care for colleagues as individuals and management had a very rigid mindset in terms of the swipe rate expected. They wouldn't accept that some customers simply didn't want a VIP card and would still patronise you at every opportunity. The whole culture of the company has deteriorated, along with its values.

Poor atmosphere and work environment - Being talked down to, certain people throwing their weight around and management would rarely if ever back you up, even if you had been verbally abused by a customer for refusing a pet sale on the grounds that the cage/tank was too small. Threats of disciplinary action to some, but not others, as some colleagues were shielded. The same colleagues forced to do workshops all the time. Poor tank sizes for hamsters and fish and too often colleagues would recommend the smallest cage size, instead of selling the benefits of a larger space.

No progression opportunities - In my experience no matter how hard you worked and the initiative you showed, you would never
  more... be given a real opportunity for progression.

Poor employee benefits - For instance study leave is supposed to allow colleagues some time off to concentrate on their education, but on requesting it I was told on no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be available. So why is it sold as a benefit of being a store colleague? Half of the so called benefits don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on.

Fish Neglect - Fish were either not fed enough, or fed too much which caused algae blooms. FHC paperwork and fish treatment paperwork were rarely signed. It was perplexing and sad to see such a lack of care quite frankly, especially from people that should have known better.

Lack of training and work ethic - Training was non existent, I was thrown into a busy store from the get go, and there were zero opportunities for further training going forward. The company 'step training' is also incredibly poor and long winded, and it takes far too long to sign colleagues off to sell pets.

Shoals - Instead of these being productive they were often just another opportunity for management and other colleagues to patronise you.
products
Woodmancote Pub Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex16 September 2018
work is hard it not easy it how much work you can put in if this world and no jobs or money where would we be today
how to look after goldfish and how to clean snakes out
was trying to put snake back
my most enjoyable part was making my people happy and i work in a team.
Pros
breaks
awesome place to work
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2018
I was only there for my work experience which was only a week but I enjoyed my time there and would could back at anytime. The staff were all amazing and were very helpful when needed.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
morning shifts
Fun place to work, great collegues
Senior Accounts Assistant Purchase Ledger (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow11 September 2018
Typical days work would be to go through 100+ emails, then key onto SAP invoices for payment, or alternatively do a Statement for one of you 50+ companies you are responsible for to Audit standard.
I learned team work is important, but a lot of this type of work is time management, so I can work just as easily as an individual.
The culture of the work place was a friendly environment, we could take our dogs to work with us. This releases a lot of stress in a stressful job. Pets at home make it a fun place to work, by involving everyone form every department in fun activities throughout the year.
The hardest part of my job I would say was volume, but I've always been used to working on deadlines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, we were like family not work colleagues, and I was extremely sad to leave when I emigrated to Finland to be with my family
Pros
Free Parking, 20% discount card for the stores
Cons
Could be long hours, large volume of work
Don't bother
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire9 September 2018
You will be forced to work overtime in the week. Then you will be forced to work whole extra shifts on top of the overtime you were already forced to do. They want you to work in an atmosphere of fear & intimidation; that if you don't do the overtime (& MORE overtime on top), and/or you do not achieve the targets (that they keep increasing) you will loose your job.
They make out that they're employing more staff when in reality they are pushing out the time served workers. Some of their own managers have also left the company.
They're a company that loves to throw around corporate slogans about how great they are but in reality it's the shareholders they care about, the staff are treated, well, worse than pets.
Pros
Day off for your birthday.
Cons
Forced overtime, treated as slaves, low pay compared to other warehouse jobs
Loved it. groom room.
Grooming Assistant Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
I was in the groom room and, although having to start from scratch with learning it all, was in a very supportive environment. Management were helpful, staff were so lovely!

Only downside is groom room hours are so long! they vary from store to store but we all have 8-9 hr days, including weekends - it's on a rota so had 1 weekend off a month.
Pros
benefits are AMAZING
Cons
Long hours, social life takes a toll!
Work experience.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea4 September 2018
I loved my time here during work experience when I was in school. It was very good, helped out with cleaning and feeding the animals. Helping out customers, making sure everything presentable.
Pros
Interacting with animals
Cons
Work experience
Inspirational involving and caring
Retail (Former Employee) –  Colchester2 September 2018
Pets at home is the no’ 1 place to go for pets the job itself was awarding and gave me motivation for future work.The team were friendly and cooperative and always give a helping hand.
Pros
Involvement with working with animals
Cons
Could sometimes be intense
Very poorly managed
Pets at Home - Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Kingston Park1 September 2018
Very poorly managed store, pay incorrect, holidays incorrect . Head office very difficult to deal with ( some exceptions)
It was always difficuilt to get paid correctly - no one knew how the pay system worked.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Very poor manager
Nice Place to gain experience
Shelf Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dover31 August 2018
When I did work experience the staff were very helpful since I had never worked with them before. I was the youngest member of the team and they all spent some time showing me how things were run and I picked up some skills quickly. Everyday I would help other team members around the store. From sorting through deliveries and restocking the shelves, to putting cages together for display. it was a very enjoyable time since the crew were helpful and didn't make me feel pressured which allowed me to focus better.
I worked there for work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester31 August 2018
Nice staff, they help you with a lot and you can progress with them ever so well. We all love to talk to about animals and can take a joke.
We had no problems and they like giving out tasks you may enjoy as an employer and they listen to you aswell
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Hard to get into
Pets at home
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 August 2018
I have worked at pets at home for 2 weeks and I have loved it in the shop I worked with the public and also helped with the staff I am a well organised person and I am willing to have a job in a shop
Pros
Yup
Cons
3 to 4 hours
Friendly employees and easy to approach management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth20 August 2018
I would definitely recommend working here. It is a very tidy environment, everything is organised well and the tasks that need to be done are very enjoyable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.