Pets at Home Employee Reviews

friendly environment
retail (Former Employee) –  Longton17 January 2019
during my time here as work experience I thought it was a friendly and a great teamwork environment, no one is ever left out, people are always there for one another.
Bad experience working for this company
Store colleague (Former Employee) –  West Midlands12 January 2019
The companies “pets before profit” slogan should be reversed, as it is definitely “profit before pets”: Colleagues were made by managers to sell single animals that should be in pairs if that’s what the customer wanted. Guinea pigs and rats should always be kept in pairs, but if the customer still only wanted one, we had to sell just the one.

Training for new colleagues was bad, colleagues were made to sell animals before they had finished their training, this resulted in wrong information being given to the customers. Pets at homes teachings about fish was wrong, the company doesn’t even know what size the fish they sell can grow to. Tanks they sell are awful sizes and colleagues would be told it’s fine to sell goldfish into small tanks.

There is a lot of animals to clean out and give treatment to but we would be rushed to do this and got in trouble if we took to long, surely if animals came first it wouldn’t matter how long it took as long as they were cleaned and cared for properly. Only one colleague would be in charge of cleaning all the animals and treating them on the day, if a customer wanted help you were expected to go straight away and help instead of asking another colleague who was free. This resulted in animals waiting for their breakfast or their treatment.

Majority of the cages they sell for the hamsters are disgusting, way too small, some of the cages they sell are not suitable at all for any living creature.

The targets are most the time out of your control, you were targeted on the amount of customer loyalty cards you swipe. If a customer didn’t
  more... have a card and didn’t want one, that was your fault.

The work life balance is poor, sometimes doing 50 hours a week and working till 8.30 on the night and going in for 6am the next day.

Most the time you were given a section of the store to face by yourself and you weren’t allowed to speak to the other colleagues while doing this. Managers would come round and check that you weren’t with someone else. Ridiculously strict considering this job is only working at a pet store. Managers definitely were on some kind of power trip

We had around 15 different managers over a couple of years and 80% of them were unhelpful and unapproachable and didn’t seem to know how to manage people. Favouritism was rife, managers favourites got less time on the tills, given better jobs to do etc. One manager was a bully and multiple colleagues filed complaints. Higher up didn’t seem to care and this manager never got in any trouble for how they treated colleagues. Workers are not cared about by the company in my opinion.

All in all, I found this a stressful place to work. My first year here was great but became worse and worse as time went on. The only good thing is the animals.
Pros
Cute animals
Cons
Hours, targets, pay, welfare
Used to be better
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Daventry8 January 2019
I worked for this company for a while and it is a job where you can enhance retail skills as well as learning a lot about animals and if you are after something to go alongside your animal welfare course or something you want to build a career in pet retail then it's a great job.

I think that they could improve a lot on how they treat their colleagues, although not the worst for benefits or salary. I do often think that we were pushed too much especially with how much time it took to clean the animals enclosures and we got pressured into loyalty card schemes and many other things that sometimes were out of our control but we were then made to feel so useless.

Overall you do learn a lot within the retail and animal welfare area. It is not a bad job but can be quite stressful and demanding. I feel when I first started it was a better place to work and now it has become more about competition which is business but it has made the colleagues lose their enthusiasm.
Pros
Learning about animals
Cons
Corporate company
Good
Experience (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands7 January 2019
Good day starts great friendly staff and good atmosphere in the store was very happy working there and learnt a lot about retail in the shirt time I was there
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire4 January 2019
A fun place to work and plenty of courses and progression opportunities but only part time contracts available. Other than this it’s a great place to work
Pros
Lots of benefits
Cons
Small contracts and antisocial hours
Worst environment to work in.
Pet Team Colleague (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London31 December 2018
Worked for 3 years - wanted to leave after a few months. Staff turnover was super high. Animal welfare was the least of the managers worries. Get given 5 jobs to do at once and get moaned at until they’re done even though you’re running backwards and forwards from the tills to serve customers, you’re forced to hard sell loyalty cards, flea subscriptions, ordering products into store for customers, signing the customer up to the vet and/or asking for donations at charity events - you’re tracked on your performance and lectured and given written notices when they want to scare you. The animal welfare is poor. They (PAH) do the bare minimum to ensure the animals have suitable housing. Animals regularly are delivered they have severe health defects. Animals are kept in tiny cages until they go onto the shop floor. In my store if an animal could become a ‘burden’ (I.e. if the medication was tricky/too frequent) we were sometimes asked if we thought it should just be put to sleep. The fish are so overstocked. The new points system is severely flawed. You’re ‘trained’ to sell fish using this then you’re left to deal with irate customers who lose fish/research and find out they’re overstocked etc. If you don’t do your own research then you miss-sell animals and fish. Many colleagues are ‘trained’ by managers who don’t care and don’t want to know and so the colleagues then pass on poor info.
The managers have favourites and they make sure everyone knows it. They give out the ‘good’ shifts to those people and give the ‘underachievers’ the bad ones. They even tell you they do it.
  more... way to advance - a colleague I worked with had worked for PAH for going on 10 years, not given a chance to become even key holder but it was dangled in their face many many times as others were trained up simply because management didn’t like him.
I myself was offered many training courses yet this was taken away because I wasn’t swiping at the stores preferred swiperate (NOT the company’s, the stores own target), this left me at a loose end as I couldn’t train in anything to make me a better asset to the company.
I have now left, I used to suffer for severe anxiety and would spend hours before my shifts worrying about going to work.
Pros
You get to meet dogs.
Cons
Toxic, nasty working environment.
Great
General Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire27 November 2018
I only did my work experience here for five days but they made me feel like one of the team. I really enjoyed myself and I would love to be able to become a real team member.
Wouldn't recommend
Acting Assistant Manager/Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Scotland27 November 2018
Cutting hours making it harder for emplyees throughout their working day. No appreciation for work done or when go above and beyond. Put money before employees or pets. Offer training courses and expect homework from them. Put a lot of pressure on employees to hit targets, can get into serious trouble if not achieving these targets.
Pros
20% Colleague Discount
Cons
Can work 6/7 days a week and usually short 4 hour shifts
Great place to develop skills
Dog Groomer (Current Employee) –  Sussex23 November 2018
Learning and gaining new skills they give good learning commitments. They always want to achieve the best for the store, pets, colleges and customersee to ensure everyone is happy in the environment.
Pros
Rewards for good work
Cons
Could be better pay for what you have to do
nice place to work
Nightshift Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City22 November 2018
Working as part of a small team we take in large deliveries and need to get the stock onto the shelves ready for day shift. This means i needed to have great time keeping and organisational skills, along with keeping on top of stock rotation and working well as part of a team.
Not great
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Wrexham, Wrexham14 November 2018
When i first started i loved it. we had a great manager. but once the new manager started it became unbearable. everything was so much pressure. the targets where more important then the customers experience and the manager would come in at 4-5am (we didnt open till 9) just to leave early.
there is alot of talking behind peoples backs. if your off sick they will talk about it.
my pregnancy was told to people who didn't need to know after speaking with assistant manager.
when i came back from maternity i wanted set hours and reduced hours but they couldn't accommodate me. and they kept people on who didn't work or made other people work day harder.
Pros
discount of products
Cons
no job and home life, special treatment to certain people. no consequences for people who didnt do their job correctly
fun, great place to work, friendly
Pet Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire12 November 2018
Great place to be, fun place to work, great staff and customers. always learning everyday. Learnt to become a good pet seller. Workplace is clean and tidy with a great culture. Hardest part is learning workbook and online assessments. the most enjoyable part is working with the pets.
Pros
Variety of hours
Cons
Non
Good opportunities
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gillingham2 November 2018
The company are good at offering progression, they send colleagues on courses to learn new skills, skills are often taught in store also.
There is a chance to learn about animals and offer excellent customer care.
Hours are varied and there are no set shifts so this can interfere with person life, also the contracts offered do not offer enough hours to support most people, so unless you are on salary this can be a set back for most.
The company to have targets to hit so next to animal welfare these are the top priorities.
Sales, the loyalty scheme and customer service are all monitored and given targets to hit. If a store fails to hit targets then there are action plans to put into place.
Pets at home like to ensure that the colleagues are happy working for them.
Pros
learning tracks
Cons
flexible working hours
Very fun to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Arbroath27 October 2018
Very nice place with other staff memebers who have the same outlook as any one else it's all about the pets and their well being. Fun to work as there is always something different to do each day
fun place to work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington26 October 2018
Did year 10 required work experience here and there was such a positive energy, all staff were friendly. It doesn't even seem like hard work if you enjoy animal care then it's mote like a hobby.
Can’t believe I wasted 6 years here
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire26 October 2018
I’m an ex colleague tried to go back after only leaving for 6 weeks (worked there for 6 years) a year voluntary, done most charity work / pushed charity, sales, loyalty card ect. I left on really good terms and was very friendly (or so I thought) with everyone. On going back they gave me an interview and work trial (again), 2 of the 4 managers told me it was just a formality so I handed my notice in at work then they turned around after leaving me for over a week and said they weren’t taking me back. Left me with no job this close to Christmas knowing I had kids and not long bought a house as well. Horrible people I once trusted, never again.

Training is SO BAD, moved into the dog groomers after asking to go in there for 2 years, and was told no because I previously suffered from depression. when I got in I was expected just to know what I was doing, no support throughout my time in there. Uniform is horrendous, you get slated for not wearing correct uniform yet it’s impossible to get any ordered. I actually had to get mines second hand from a colleagues at Arbroath store.

During my time at pets at home I had a baby, I worked up until I was almost 9 months pregnant and I only took 4 months off, I was off sick maybe 3 times in the whole time I was there and was never late to shifts, covered other stores and other colleagues shifts too, worked on past middday to cover a night shift if someone from night had called in sick for example 7am - 8pm, and overall tried my best to be a good colleague. This experience has really kicked me whilst I was down and I really hope
  more... the correct people read it and think twice about the kind of company they want to work for.

Ending this I can’t believe I wasted so long working there when they obviously don’t give a toss about there colleagues at all and for a ‘pet bussiness’ A good few colleagues cant even be bothered with the animals.
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear20 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Pets at Home during my work experience. The staff made me feel extremely comfortable and assisted me with developing new skills which I will carry into my future.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland Retail Park, Midland Way, Mansfield19 October 2018
A typical day at work was to stock up the shelves and to answer any of the questions that the customers may have had. also, to clean out the animals before the shop opened
Not so good anymore
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset9 October 2018
The company uses to be amazing to work but over the laat year too many changes trying to cut costs due to company struggling finding excuses to get rid of higher levells of managers to replace with people on lower salaries
Pros
Benefits values
Cons
Too many expectations expected for the amount of hours given
A friendly and fun place to work
Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon5 October 2018
Pets at Home is a very enjoyable and fun place to work, every day is different with a variety of customers and pets. A typical day at work consisted of putting point of sales stock outside and opening up, welcoming customers into the store and asking if they need any help. Carrying out tasks that have been asked of me by management. The workplace culture is also varied, younger and older members of staff throughout the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and helping them with everything they need for their new pet.
Pros
Competitive salary, friendly staff.
Cons
Late shifts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.