Pets at Home Employee Reviews

fun, great place to work, friendly
Pet Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire12 November 2018
Great place to be, fun place to work, great staff and customers. always learning everyday. Learnt to become a good pet seller. Workplace is clean and tidy with a great culture. Hardest part is learning workbook and online assessments. the most enjoyable part is working with the pets.
Pros
Variety of hours
Cons
Non
Good opportunities
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Gillingham2 November 2018
The company are good at offering progression, they send colleagues on courses to learn new skills, skills are often taught in store also.
There is a chance to learn about animals and offer excellent customer care.
Hours are varied and there are no set shifts so this can interfere with person life, also the contracts offered do not offer enough hours to support most people, so unless you are on salary this can be a set back for most.
The company to have targets to hit so next to animal welfare these are the top priorities.
Sales, the loyalty scheme and customer service are all monitored and given targets to hit. If a store fails to hit targets then there are action plans to put into place.
Pets at home like to ensure that the colleagues are happy working for them.
Pros
learning tracks
Cons
flexible working hours
Very fun to work
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Arbroath27 October 2018
Very nice place with other staff memebers who have the same outlook as any one else it's all about the pets and their well being. Fun to work as there is always something different to do each day
fun place to work
Shop Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warrington26 October 2018
Did year 10 required work experience here and there was such a positive energy, all staff were friendly. It doesn't even seem like hard work if you enjoy animal care then it's mote like a hobby.
Can’t believe I wasted 6 years here
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire26 October 2018
I’m an ex colleague tried to go back after only leaving for 6 weeks (worked there for 6 years) a year voluntary, done most charity work / pushed charity, sales, loyalty card ect. I left on really good terms and was very friendly (or so I thought) with everyone. On going back they gave me an interview and work trial (again), 2 of the 4 managers told me it was just a formality so I handed my notice in at work then they turned around after leaving me for over a week and said they weren’t taking me back. Left me with no job this close to Christmas knowing I had kids and not long bought a house as well. Horrible people I once trusted, never again.

Training is SO BAD, moved into the dog groomers after asking to go in there for 2 years, and was told no because I previously suffered from depression. when I got in I was expected just to know what I was doing, no support throughout my time in there. Uniform is horrendous, you get slated for not wearing correct uniform yet it’s impossible to get any ordered. I actually had to get mines second hand from a colleagues at Arbroath store.

During my time at pets at home I had a baby, I worked up until I was almost 9 months pregnant and I only took 4 months off, I was off sick maybe 3 times in the whole time I was there and was never late to shifts, covered other stores and other colleagues shifts too, worked on past middday to cover a night shift if someone from night had called in sick for example 7am - 8pm, and overall tried my best to be a good colleague. This experience has really kicked me whilst I was down and I really hope
  more... the correct people read it and think twice about the kind of company they want to work for.

Ending this I can’t believe I wasted so long working there when they obviously don’t give a toss about there colleagues at all and for a ‘pet bussiness’ A good few colleagues cant even be bothered with the animals.
Productive Workplace
Sales Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear20 October 2018
I really enjoyed my time at Pets at Home during my work experience. The staff made me feel extremely comfortable and assisted me with developing new skills which I will carry into my future.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portland Retail Park, Midland Way, Mansfield19 October 2018
A typical day at work was to stock up the shelves and to answer any of the questions that the customers may have had. also, to clean out the animals before the shop opened
Not so good anymore
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset9 October 2018
The company uses to be amazing to work but over the laat year too many changes trying to cut costs due to company struggling finding excuses to get rid of higher levells of managers to replace with people on lower salaries
Pros
Benefits values
Cons
Too many expectations expected for the amount of hours given
A friendly and fun place to work
Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Newton Abbot, Devon5 October 2018
Pets at Home is a very enjoyable and fun place to work, every day is different with a variety of customers and pets. A typical day at work consisted of putting point of sales stock outside and opening up, welcoming customers into the store and asking if they need any help. Carrying out tasks that have been asked of me by management. The workplace culture is also varied, younger and older members of staff throughout the store. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new customers and helping them with everything they need for their new pet.
Pros
Competitive salary, friendly staff.
Cons
Late shifts.
Lovely place to work
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex1 October 2018
I have liked working at Pets at Home very much. The people are very friendly but the hours were short and many. Animal selling was not my favourite part of the job. I wanted to progress to dog grooming but was not available at this time.
Pros
Close to home, people friendly and very enjoyable
Cons
Short shifts mostly every day
fantastic environment to nurture talent
Manager (Current Employee) –  Kettering, Northamptonshire29 September 2018
a great business to nurture talent with a real idea of promoting from within. great opportunities within the business to meet other people and a great training structure
friendly easy work
Retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Colne, Lancashire28 September 2018
The work is easy and doesn't take much skill compared to other jobs, friendly workplace and fair breaks.
only fault would be the fact some employees don't take time to go over the more difficult aspects of the job in detail and the safety isn't great.
Pros
good lunch breaks
Cons
poor safety measures
Poor work life balance
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnersh, Berkshire26 September 2018
Great for getting foot in the door for animal related work.
Taught me lots about animal welfare and care, including medication and spotting illness.

Your experience depends entirely on management.
Used to be a great environment, but a lot of animal husbandry has changed, which i found to be upsetting.

If you find yourself with good management and everyone seems to get along, stick with it.
Pros
20% Discount with vets, groomers and pets at home, animal care experiance, progression oppertunities
Cons
long hours, sometimes demoralising, lots of physical work
A fun place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands26 September 2018
Although sometimes the job itself can be stressful when dealing with customers in a fast paced environment, it always has its benefits by being a relaxed place to work. It is always demanding, and my managers allow my shifts to be flexible around my social life.
Pros
Working with animals
Cons
Working weekends
Used to be quite a fun place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands21 September 2018
Pros

Colleague Discount - Helpful especially with larger shops.

Adoption for Pets - When it works it gives animals a second chance, although many of the gripes in terms of small cage size still persist, as with the shop floor animals.

Some genuinely nice colleagues - Many of the colleagues I worked with were a pleasure to work with. It made shifts more enjoyable and definitely made the time pass …

Cons

Poor management - High turnover of managers, let alone colleagues and managerial methods were poor, i.e apply sufficient pressure to get results. There was no care for colleagues as individuals and management had a very rigid mindset in terms of the swipe rate expected. They wouldn't accept that some customers simply didn't want a VIP card and would still patronise you at every opportunity. The whole culture of the company has deteriorated, along with its values.

Poor atmosphere and work environment - Being talked down to, certain people throwing their weight around and management would rarely if ever back you up, even if you had been verbally abused by a customer for refusing a pet sale on the grounds that the cage/tank was too small. Threats of disciplinary action to some, but not others, as some colleagues were shielded. The same colleagues forced to do workshops all the time. Poor tank sizes for hamsters and fish and too often colleagues would recommend the smallest cage size, instead of selling the benefits of a larger space.

No progression opportunities - In my experience no matter how hard you worked and the initiative you showed, you would never
  more... be given a real opportunity for progression.

Poor employee benefits - For instance study leave is supposed to allow colleagues some time off to concentrate on their education, but on requesting it I was told on no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be available. So why is it sold as a benefit of being a store colleague? Half of the so called benefits don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on.

Fish Neglect - Fish were either not fed enough, or fed too much which caused algae blooms. FHC paperwork and fish treatment paperwork were rarely signed. It was perplexing and sad to see such a lack of care quite frankly, especially from people that should have known better.

Lack of training and work ethic - Training was non existent, I was thrown into a busy store from the get go, and there were zero opportunities for further training going forward. The company 'step training' is also incredibly poor and long winded, and it takes far too long to sign colleagues off to sell pets.

Shoals - Instead of these being productive they were often just another opportunity for management and other colleagues to patronise you.
products
Woodmancote Pub Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex16 September 2018
work is hard it not easy it how much work you can put in if this world and no jobs or money where would we be today
how to look after goldfish and how to clean snakes out
was trying to put snake back
my most enjoyable part was making my people happy and i work in a team.
Pros
breaks
awesome place to work
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2018
I was only there for my work experience which was only a week but I enjoyed my time there and would could back at anytime. The staff were all amazing and were very helpful when needed.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
morning shifts
Fun place to work, great collegues
Senior Accounts Assistant Purchase Ledger (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow11 September 2018
Typical days work would be to go through 100+ emails, then key onto SAP invoices for payment, or alternatively do a Statement for one of you 50+ companies you are responsible for to Audit standard.
I learned team work is important, but a lot of this type of work is time management, so I can work just as easily as an individual.
The culture of the work place was a friendly environment, we could take our dogs to work with us. This releases a lot of stress in a stressful job. Pets at home make it a fun place to work, by involving everyone form every department in fun activities throughout the year.
The hardest part of my job I would say was volume, but I've always been used to working on deadlines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, we were like family not work colleagues, and I was extremely sad to leave when I emigrated to Finland to be with my family
Pros
Free Parking, 20% discount card for the stores
Cons
Could be long hours, large volume of work
Don't bother
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire9 September 2018
You will be forced to work overtime in the week. Then you will be forced to work whole extra shifts on top of the overtime you were already forced to do. They want you to work in an atmosphere of fear & intimidation; that if you don't do the overtime (& MORE overtime on top), and/or you do not achieve the targets (that they keep increasing) you will loose your job.
They make out that they're employing more staff when in reality they are pushing out the time served workers. Some of their own managers have also left the company.
They're a company that loves to throw around corporate slogans about how great they are but in reality it's the shareholders they care about, the staff are treated, well, worse than pets.
Pros
Day off for your birthday.
Cons
Forced overtime, treated as slaves, low pay compared to other warehouse jobs
Loved it. groom room.
Grooming Assistant Stylist (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 September 2018
I was in the groom room and, although having to start from scratch with learning it all, was in a very supportive environment. Management were helpful, staff were so lovely!

Only downside is groom room hours are so long! they vary from store to store but we all have 8-9 hr days, including weekends - it's on a rota so had 1 weekend off a month.
Pros
benefits are AMAZING
Cons
Long hours, social life takes a toll!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.