Pets at Home Employee Reviews

Used to be quite a fun place to work
Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands21 September 2018
Pros

Colleague Discount - Helpful especially with larger shops.

Adoption for Pets - When it works it gives animals a second chance, although many of the gripes in terms of small cage size still persist, as with the shop floor animals.

Some genuinely nice colleagues - Many of the colleagues I worked with were a pleasure to work with. It made shifts more enjoyable and definitely made the time pass …

Cons

Poor management - High turnover of managers, let alone colleagues and managerial methods were poor, i.e apply sufficient pressure to get results. There was no care for colleagues as individuals and management had a very rigid mindset in terms of the swipe rate expected. They wouldn't accept that some customers simply didn't want a VIP card and would still patronise you at every opportunity. The whole culture of the company has deteriorated, along with its values.

Poor atmosphere and work environment - Being talked down to, certain people throwing their weight around and management would rarely if ever back you up, even if you had been verbally abused by a customer for refusing a pet sale on the grounds that the cage/tank was too small. Threats of disciplinary action to some, but not others, as some colleagues were shielded. The same colleagues forced to do workshops all the time. Poor tank sizes for hamsters and fish and too often colleagues would recommend the smallest cage size, instead of selling the benefits of a larger space.

No progression opportunities - In my experience no matter how hard you worked and the initiative you showed, you would never
  more... be given a real opportunity for progression.

Poor employee benefits - For instance study leave is supposed to allow colleagues some time off to concentrate on their education, but on requesting it I was told on no uncertain terms that it wouldn't be available. So why is it sold as a benefit of being a store colleague? Half of the so called benefits don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on.

Fish Neglect - Fish were either not fed enough, or fed too much which caused algae blooms. FHC paperwork and fish treatment paperwork were rarely signed. It was perplexing and sad to see such a lack of care quite frankly, especially from people that should have known better.

Lack of training and work ethic - Training was non existent, I was thrown into a busy store from the get go, and there were zero opportunities for further training going forward. The company 'step training' is also incredibly poor and long winded, and it takes far too long to sign colleagues off to sell pets.

Shoals - Instead of these being productive they were often just another opportunity for management and other colleagues to patronise you.
products
Woodmancote Pub Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Bognor Regis, West Sussex16 September 2018
work is hard it not easy it how much work you can put in if this world and no jobs or money where would we be today
how to look after goldfish and how to clean snakes out
was trying to put snake back
my most enjoyable part was making my people happy and i work in a team.
Pros
breaks
awesome place to work
Pet Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham12 September 2018
I was only there for my work experience which was only a week but I enjoyed my time there and would could back at anytime. The staff were all amazing and were very helpful when needed.
Pros
working with animals
Cons
morning shifts
Fun place to work, great collegues
Senior Accounts Assistant Purchase Ledger (Former Employee) –  Wilmslow11 September 2018
Typical days work would be to go through 100+ emails, then key onto SAP invoices for payment, or alternatively do a Statement for one of you 50+ companies you are responsible for to Audit standard.
I learned team work is important, but a lot of this type of work is time management, so I can work just as easily as an individual.
The culture of the work place was a friendly environment, we could take our dogs to work with us. This releases a lot of stress in a stressful job. Pets at home make it a fun place to work, by involving everyone form every department in fun activities throughout the year.
The hardest part of my job I would say was volume, but I've always been used to working on deadlines.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with, we were like family not work colleagues, and I was extremely sad to leave when I emigrated to Finland to be with my family
Pros
Free Parking, 20% discount card for the stores
Cons
Could be long hours, large volume of work
Don't bother
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire9 September 2018
You will be forced to work overtime in the week. Then you will be forced to work whole extra shifts on top of the overtime you were already forced to do. They want you to work in an atmosphere of fear & intimidation; that if you don't do the overtime (& MORE overtime on top), and/or you do not achieve the targets (that they keep increasing) you will loose your job.
They make out that they're employing more staff when in reality they are pushing out the time served workers. Some of their own managers have also left the company.
They're a company that loves to throw around corporate slogans about how great they are but in reality it's the shareholders they care about, the staff are treated, well, worse than pets.
Pros
Day off for your birthday.
Cons
Forced overtime, treated as slaves, low pay compared to other warehouse jobs
Work experience.
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Swansea, Swansea4 September 2018
I loved my time here during work experience when I was in school. It was very good, helped out with cleaning and feeding the animals. Helping out customers, making sure everything presentable.
Pros
Interacting with animals
Cons
Work experience
Inspirational involving and caring
Retail (Former Employee) –  Colchester2 September 2018
Pets at home is the no’ 1 place to go for pets the job itself was awarding and gave me motivation for future work.The team were friendly and cooperative and always give a helping hand.
Pros
Involvement with working with animals
Cons
Could sometimes be intense
Very poorly managed
Pets at Home - Store Colleague (Former Employee) –  Kingston Park1 September 2018
Very poorly managed store, pay incorrect, holidays incorrect . Head office very difficult to deal with ( some exceptions)
It was always difficuilt to get paid correctly - no one knew how the pay system worked.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Very poor manager
Nice Place to gain experience
Shelf Stocker (Former Employee) –  Dover31 August 2018
When I did work experience the staff were very helpful since I had never worked with them before. I was the youngest member of the team and they all spent some time showing me how things were run and I picked up some skills quickly. Everyday I would help other team members around the store. From sorting through deliveries and restocking the shelves, to putting cages together for display. it was a very enjoyable time since the crew were helpful and didn't make me feel pressured which allowed me to focus better.
I worked there for work experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Colchester31 August 2018
Nice staff, they help you with a lot and you can progress with them ever so well. We all love to talk to about animals and can take a joke.
We had no problems and they like giving out tasks you may enjoy as an employer and they listen to you aswell
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
Hard to get into
Pets at home
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 August 2018
I have worked at pets at home for 2 weeks and I have loved it in the shop I worked with the public and also helped with the staff I am a well organised person and I am willing to have a job in a shop
Pros
Yup
Cons
3 to 4 hours
Friendly employees and easy to approach management
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth20 August 2018
I would definitely recommend working here. It is a very tidy environment, everything is organised well and the tasks that need to be done are very enjoyable.
Friendly Staff and great atmosphere
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wakefield17 August 2018
The work culture was very good, everyone was friendly. I had to stock the shelves and help with the deliveries. I also had to help the customers locate what they wanted.
Fun
Cleaner (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Ashby-De-La-Zouch, Leicestershire15 August 2018
Enjoyable and fun place to work and the staff are very welcoming and easy to get on with, everyone always feels welcomed when working or just visiting
Recruitment process is a joke
none (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire14 August 2018
Waste of time and effort applying for this company you have to waste about 5 hours of your life all for nothing, get invited for a work trail afterwards only for them to take nobody on. Honestly don't bother wasting your time applying.
Run away from pets at home
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton12 August 2018
There are managers that work hard but there are others who chat all day on their phones. Colleagues are complaining all time about everything and it is not very safety to work there.
Some surveys has to be confidential, but managers stay at colleague back watching his answers.
There is no life/work balance at all.
I recommend AVOID this company at all meanings.
Pros
Sometimes can get a free meal
Cons
all bank holidays are deducted from your holidays
Rapidly changing business
Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom10 August 2018
rapidly changing retailer
varied roles
challenging KPIs
standard annual leave and bonus scheme
can bring dog to work in some shops and head office
Not worth your time
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands3 August 2018
Worst company to work for. No respect for their colleagues, no rewards or recognition. This company is all take and no give. Do not put the animals first and they couldn't care less if you leave. Don't waste your time!
Pros
You get to work with animals
Cons
Disrespectful to colleague's
only apply if you want to be a pushy salesman
Store Mananager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester3 August 2018
I joined as a manager hoping to make a difference to customers pets. While i did that the other KPI's are a joke. I get VIP sign ups but then trying to push the swipe rate when a customer cant tell how many points they have or the vouchers they get a rubbish meaning the customer looses interest. On top of that your then expected to convince a customer that the best way forward is only by subscribing to the flea products and having a ridiculous target to meet. oh not forgetting the Order in store system. Great tool to get the customer a product in that the store does not stock but then to have a target of 3% of store sales and that can be a lot of money. the only way lie to the customer say we don't have it so they make an order. Defeats the object of great customer service. No wounder the share price has halved in the last 12 months. We have not got enough staff to meet the demands of the store. It only needs some one to be on holiday and one off sick and your up the swanny. They don't pay the colleagues enough to make it worth there while to learn all the knowledge and sell.
Pros
20% discount and other high street discounts
Cons
not enough staff
Amazing opportunities and lovely team
Sales Colleague (Former Employee) –  Peterborough27 July 2018
Pets at home was one of my favourite jobs in retail that I've ever had. The team was so kind and helpful and became like a second family to me whilst I was there. We had some difficult customers but as the team and management trained me so well I found it easy to remember how to deal with customers like this and had the confidence to do so too.

Any time I had issues at home or in work someone was willing to speak to me before work or during breaks if I needed, they're all incredible people and the company keep every store in the loop of whats going on.
Pros
Free treats, extra bonuses, lovely team, incredible work place
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pets at Home. Our community is ready to answer.