Peterborough Regional College Employee Reviews

Falling apart
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire2 October 2018
Too stressed to comment much about this failing establishment.
Some great lecturers there but they are often looking for new jobs
Some great faculty managers but those poor guys having to reapply for their own jobs p. God bless them .
Pros
Holidays.
Cons
Lack of respect and overload of admin
Overworked and under appreciated
Qualified Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire27 September 2018
The senior leadership team has restructured the teaching set-up against concerns of qualified, experienced staff.
Salaries are comparable with other colleges but the amount of work is crazy.
Not enough teachers; too much contact time expected for those that are left so not enough time for admin.
In class with learners is still good and colleagues are great but workload is causing stress and top management don’t seem to care about their best resource - the staff.
Pros
Colleagues and helping students.
Cons
Too much expected by uncaring management.
Be advised
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough25 June 2018
Work life balance needs to be refined to assist with how courses operate and succeed from the ground up. Paperwork is heavy compared to other colleges
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Exceptionally long hours
Fun and learning new techniques
Hospitality nvq (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire30 January 2018
I was working towards qualifications for nvq level 1 and 2. I enjoyed my experience their. I was on till serving customers and handling money. I served food in the restaurant and at the hot counter. I got a few tips on getting creative with the food we was serving up.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Wish I stayed longer
Working under pressure, learnt to work with all cultures.Staff very hard working, however not fully supported by upper management.
Lecturer, teacher (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire5 September 2017
The education sector is a tough place to work, largely due to government cuts. The work/life balance is hard to maintain but the opportunity to help shape the future workforce is hard to resist.
I am working in friendly department, accommodating and treated me well.
Used to Love my job
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire25 July 2017
Unrealistic deadlines, student achievement, staff ground into the floor. only good thing about being here is the learners. Our section alone needs to cover 4 peoples jobs who have left/long term sick. Who cares? not management. As long as students "PASS".
work experience
Performing Arts Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire21 June 2017
School work experience at fifteen- The two weeks of work experience was spent shadowing teacher/lecturer to gain more insight on the career role I am aiming for. This helped improve my skills around a busy working environment.
Main tasks included taking registers, script work, word documents and student reports. Also involved clearing up set in the studios.
Pros
students worked well together
Cons
was only temporary, that area has since fallen apart.
Place of Education
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 June 2017
Pros
Good holiday allowance
Cons
most stessfull time of my life
Assessor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire10 May 2017
Conned into post with market allowance which was taken away leaving a very poor wage I was urged almost blackmailed into cooking the books to enable students to qualify so funding could be claimed all in all a very very unpleasant experience if your concienciouse it will rot your head to the core if your not and don't give a damp it's ideal there are plenty there !
Pros
37 hour week
Cons
morraly corrupt in every way
excellent work/life balance
Student Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough19 April 2017
Working with students who need extra help during school hours so is perfect if you have a young family yourself. Zero hours which is not so good and there is not always the hours available. Management are not good at resource management I fen find myself sitting in a class with 3 other support workers whilst there will be none in a class that's needed.
Pros
good hours
Cons
zero hours

Want to know more about Peterborough Regional College?

Ask a question
Accommodating Work Experience Placement
Administration Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough16 September 2016
I worked for a department which was friendly, accommodating and treated me well. It was a good first time work experience for me.
Engaging and Entertaining
Media Coordinator Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough15 June 2016
•Coordinate projects across college campus, including market research surveys and facilitating focus groups, gathering student perspectives all of which enable me to develop effective analytical and project management skills.

• Attend meetings for strategy and team building.

• Present regular updates of student concerns and needs to teachers and college executives.

• I was able to successfully persuade executives to put more Media books in the library and to hold more practical lessons to engage students.
Pros
Orchestrating entertainment
Cons
dealing with challanging behaviour
This is not a good place to work - it is a joke
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough19 May 2016
The College is going down hill. Changes in leadership and Its not a happy place to work - management do not know what is going on. it is a joke

I would encourage you to work somewhere else as this is now not a good example of working in education.

Students run riot and do not have any focus and targets. Staff are confused and not sure what to do
Pros
Non
Cons
Too disorganised no direction or leadership a miserable place and more!
Cronyism and ego-centrism
Staff (Current Employee) –  Peterborough6 April 2016
If i could give half a star i would. That's only because of some members of staff who have a similar outlook and understand how incompetent and self serving the management structure is
na
Student (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 March 2016
they didn't understand me as an individual nor they teach me a lot they put on a course that i applied for but they told that it would be different to what it was.
Pros
free education
Cons
i didn't get what you expected out of the college
Hard working and rewarding
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Stamford, ENG18 December 2015
I like to be active therefore this job is great, you get a great feeling from doing a brilliant job. I love the people I work with and I like the hours I work. The only down fall is constantly paying for petrol and not being reimbursed an amount that helps with the cost, also the mileage on my car has gone up significantly.
Pros
keeping active
Cons
paying too much for petrol and using to many miles when driving.
Terrible place to work - poor treatment of staff
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough15 May 2015
To reiterate the reviewer below, their is no behaviour management in college, it seems you have to do something pretty extreme to get kicked out e.g. Physically assault someone, even then chances are slim. Students smoke drugs on site and when reported nothing is done. So much for zero tolerance!

The management have zero regard for staff welfare, work/life balance is nil and prepare to have no cpd unless you are prepared to pay for it. I thought it was a legal requirement to provide someone with the required training for a job for free? Maybe I'm wrong.

Be prepared to be dropped in the deep end, with no support or guidance, when things go wrong though be prepared to take the blame!

Some really lovely teachers there although morale is rock bottom and senior management couldn't care less. All they care about is filling courses up, it doesn't matter whether students are interested or not and money. You will also be given duties above and beyond what you should be doing, excessive amounts of open evenings, and whatever else they drop on you.

They couldn't organise a p-up in a brewery. Functional skills are in disarray and don't even get me started on the paperwork, where you will fill in four variations of the same form, just for them to all be lost!

You have been warned, avoid working here at all costs!
Pros
Free paperclips
Cons
Excessive hours, poor treatment of staff, poorly organised
Not a nice place!
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough12 April 2015
I have worked within this organisation for a number of years and in the past 5 years the place has got a lot worse. Students do what they like when then like, as they know that they never hardly ever get kicked out, and there is never any real back up from management as all they are bothered about is the funding that sits on their heads, not the welfare of the lecturers who have to put up with their behaviour. Staff morale is on the floor in all departments, although now the Principle who couldn't have cared less about the welfare of her staff has just left, so things may change. I would love to be able to get another job as this place is like having a ball and chain around you ankle. No real development except if you want to sign a five year payback form, or have to pay half of the teaching qualification if you need it. Come and work here at your peril, as the management don't seem to last long either!
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention!
nice work place
Hairdresser (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG14 March 2015
i love being there 2 days a week. i learn a lot every week and i would love to learn more. The hardrest part being there is when we have theory lessons.
Pros
2 lunches
busy place
Educator/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG19 February 2015
My teaching week is 8.30-5,I have been with the company 10 years since working for the company I have achieved various qualifications and added on to my skills by attending various continuous professional activities.

The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the students gain confidence and successful and confidently go into industry and secure jobs.
I work predominately on my own ,teaching a vast array of students and I have regular team meeting with the course co ordinater and the rest of the team on progression development, and shared practice.

The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours in the day to prepare and develop new resources for the programes. There is far to many targets and increasing pressure on student attainment and marketing, which can dictate a lot of working hours inside and outside of college..
Pros
good experience and training to develop teaching and educator skills
Cons
lot of outside college working hours