Peterborough Regional College Employee Reviews

Working under pressure, learnt to work with all cultures.Staff very hard working, however not fully supported by upper management.
Lecturer, teacher (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire5 September 2017
The education sector is a tough place to work, largely due to government cuts. The work/life balance is hard to maintain but the opportunity to help shape the future workforce is hard to resist.
I am working in friendly department, accommodating and treated me well.
Used to Love my job
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire25 July 2017
Unrealistic deadlines, student achievement, staff ground into the floor. only good thing about being here is the learners. Our section alone needs to cover 4 peoples jobs who have left/long term sick. Who cares? not management. As long as students "PASS".
work experience
Performing Arts Teaching assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire21 June 2017
School work experience at fifteen- The two weeks of work experience was spent shadowing teacher/lecturer to gain more insight on the career role I am aiming for. This helped improve my skills around a busy working environment.
Main tasks included taking registers, script work, word documents and student reports. Also involved clearing up set in the studios.
Pros
students worked well together
Cons
was only temporary, that area has since fallen apart.
Place of Education
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire4 June 2017
Pros
Good holiday allowance
Cons
most stessfull time of my life
Assessor/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire10 May 2017
Conned into post with market allowance which was taken away leaving a very poor wage I was urged almost blackmailed into cooking the books to enable students to qualify so funding could be claimed all in all a very very unpleasant experience if your concienciouse it will rot your head to the core if your not and don't give a damp it's ideal there are plenty there !
Pros
37 hour week
Cons
morraly corrupt in every way
excellent work/life balance
Student Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough19 April 2017
Working with students who need extra help during school hours so is perfect if you have a young family yourself. Zero hours which is not so good and there is not always the hours available. Management are not good at resource management I fen find myself sitting in a class with 3 other support workers whilst there will be none in a class that's needed.
Pros
good hours
Cons
zero hours
Accommodating Work Experience Placement
Administration Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough16 September 2016
I worked for a department which was friendly, accommodating and treated me well. It was a good first time work experience for me.
Engaging and Entertaining
Media Coordinator Representative (Former Employee) –  Peterborough15 June 2016
•Coordinate projects across college campus, including market research surveys and facilitating focus groups, gathering student perspectives all of which enable me to develop effective analytical and project management skills.

• Attend meetings for strategy and team building.

• Present regular updates of student concerns and needs to teachers and college executives.

• I was able to successfully persuade executives to put more Media books in the library and to hold more practical lessons to engage students.
Pros
Orchestrating entertainment
Cons
dealing with challanging behaviour
This is not a good place to work - it is a joke
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Peterborough19 May 2016
The College is going down hill. Changes in leadership and Its not a happy place to work - management do not know what is going on. it is a joke

I would encourage you to work somewhere else as this is now not a good example of working in education.

Students run riot and do not have any focus and targets. Staff are confused and not sure what to do
Pros
Non
Cons
Too disorganised no direction or leadership a miserable place and more!
Cronyism and ego-centrism
Staff (Current Employee) –  Peterborough6 April 2016
If i could give half a star i would. That's only because of some members of staff who have a similar outlook and understand how incompetent and self serving the management structure is
na
Student (Former Employee) –  Peterborough19 March 2016
they didn't understand me as an individual nor they teach me a lot they put on a course that i applied for but they told that it would be different to what it was.
Pros
free education
Cons
i didn't get what you expected out of the college
Hard working and rewarding
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Stamford, ENG18 December 2015
I like to be active therefore this job is great, you get a great feeling from doing a brilliant job. I love the people I work with and I like the hours I work. The only down fall is constantly paying for petrol and not being reimbursed an amount that helps with the cost, also the mileage on my car has gone up significantly.
Pros
keeping active
Cons
paying too much for petrol and using to many miles when driving.
Terrible place to work - poor treatment of staff
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough15 May 2015
To reiterate the reviewer below, their is no behaviour management in college, it seems you have to do something pretty extreme to get kicked out e.g. Physically assault someone, even then chances are slim. Students smoke drugs on site and when reported nothing is done. So much for zero tolerance!

The management have zero regard for staff welfare, work/life balance is nil and prepare to have no cpd unless you are prepared to pay for it. I thought it was a legal requirement to provide someone with the required training for a job for free? Maybe I'm wrong.

Be prepared to be dropped in the deep end, with no support or guidance, when things go wrong though be prepared to take the blame!

Some really lovely teachers there although morale is rock bottom and senior management couldn't care less. All they care about is filling courses up, it doesn't matter whether students are interested or not and money. You will also be given duties above and beyond what you should be doing, excessive amounts of open evenings, and whatever else they drop on you.

They couldn't organise a p-up in a brewery. Functional skills are in disarray and don't even get me started on the paperwork, where you will fill in four variations of the same form, just for them to all be lost!

You have been warned, avoid working here at all costs!
Pros
Free paperclips
Cons
Excessive hours, poor treatment of staff, poorly organised
Not a nice place!
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough12 April 2015
I have worked within this organisation for a number of years and in the past 5 years the place has got a lot worse. Students do what they like when then like, as they know that they never hardly ever get kicked out, and there is never any real back up from management as all they are bothered about is the funding that sits on their heads, not the welfare of the lecturers who have to put up with their behaviour. Staff morale is on the floor in all departments, although now the Principle who couldn't have cared less about the welfare of her staff has just left, so things may change. I would love to be able to get another job as this place is like having a ball and chain around you ankle. No real development except if you want to sign a five year payback form, or have to pay half of the teaching qualification if you need it. Come and work here at your peril, as the management don't seem to last long either!
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention!
nice work place
Hairdresser (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG14 March 2015
i love being there 2 days a week. i learn a lot every week and i would love to learn more. The hardrest part being there is when we have theory lessons.
Pros
2 lunches
busy place
Educator/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG19 February 2015
My teaching week is 8.30-5,I have been with the company 10 years since working for the company I have achieved various qualifications and added on to my skills by attending various continuous professional activities.

The most enjoyable part of my job is watching the students gain confidence and successful and confidently go into industry and secure jobs.
I work predominately on my own ,teaching a vast array of students and I have regular team meeting with the course co ordinater and the rest of the team on progression development, and shared practice.

The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours in the day to prepare and develop new resources for the programes. There is far to many targets and increasing pressure on student attainment and marketing, which can dictate a lot of working hours inside and outside of college..
Pros
good experience and training to develop teaching and educator skills
Cons
lot of outside college working hours
A good first step onto the career ladder
Train to Gain, The Apprenticeship Centre (Former Employee) –  Peterborough18 October 2014
A good first step onto the career ladder. This is where I gained most of my Administration training.
Cons
Being made redundant
I have not been there long enough to form an opinion
Lead Tutor, FS &GCSE (Current Employee) –  Oakham, Rutland10 October 2014
As above. Most enjoyable part of the job is developing communication and tracking systems between assessors and FS tutors to ensure the apprentices receive a first class and individualised learning plan that will support them in achieving the required qualifications. Using relevant examples of their work and applying it to maths, english and ICT learning
A fun and enjoyable workplace.
Production Arts. (Educational) (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG2 August 2014
As it is my place of education I have already made strong friendships with my peers/ colleagues. The workplace is always positive even though our jobs can be tiresome. Everyone is willing to support each other and assist each other when needed but are also capable of working efficiently and independently.
Depending on my job role depends on my typical work day.
Work would usually start by checking all colleagues have arrived and if not it would be my job (as assistant stage manager) to contact them and find out where they are and how long they will be. Then it is my job to dress the set and check all set pieces are either onstage, in the wings or backstage. Then I check that all props are in their marked place on the props table before a run. Then just before a run I assist the Stage Manager with checking all cast are backstage and in make-up and costume. I also assist in checking for hazards and sorting them out. When a show is running it is my job to set change with the stage manager, to give actors their prop and help with any costume changes or make-up fixes. Then after a run I help the stage manager clean the stage, wings and backstage and chack and fix hazards. Then reset the stage and props for the next run. I also keep an eye on the health of the actors all through any contact with them (so in rehearsals, when they're on break, during runs, backstage and when they're just about to leave). The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside the actors, they are wonderful, unique and interesting people and very easy to get along with. They understand how to work
  more... professionally and do not hinder me whatsoever. The hardest part of the job is set changes, sometimes there is barely any time and light so my stage manager and I have to sometimes practise the set change to make sure we do not hinder the performance.  less
Pros
Sociable
Cons
Long and changeable hours
Lack of progression and ultimately a demotivating workplace
Employee (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ENG23 June 2014
I began my career at Peterborough Regional College as a Business Admin Apprentice and felt that a place of education would provide me with more benefits than any other placement. I, however, soon found out how little the management of the College thought of the apprentices and it was clear to see that I was merely a statistic. The morale of the staff is low and management do nothing to help reduce the workload. As an apprentice there was little progression available and the training to progress was not available either.

Despite this I tried to make the best of a bad situation and complete the L2 Apprenticeship framework with the understanding that I could progress to the L3. However, upon completion I was not allowed to progress and the College did not try and help me develop. The only positive I could draw from this place was that I enjoyed working with my team. If I could travel back in time I would tell myself to not go anywhere near this organisation as it is clear that management do not care about its employees and only care about getting a larger bonus.
Pros
Nice colleagues
Cons
Lack of progression, no real development, poor management, demotivating.