Perthyn Employee Reviews

Featured review
Perthyn selected this as a representative review
Good culture
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Powys17 July 2019
I have worked for Perthyn for 5 years in the capacity of support worker, I love my job and the individuals I work with. Managers are very supportive and the care given is second to none, I hope to have many more lovely years working for Perthyn.
Pros
Great culture & supportive
Rewarding job.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Shropshire9 October 2019
This job is the most rewarding job anyone could ask for. Being able to support individuals to do the activities they enjoy and have fun along the way. Obviously there is a serious side to the job also we need to look after people and help them to support theirselves as much as possible, but there is plenty of support from the management team. the team all works together well and we feel really appreciated.
Unsupportive - worst job I’ve ever had
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wales1 October 2019
Management expect staff to do overtime and will make your life difficult should you refuse. However this is only for the staff that actually Care about their job, again if you’re in their little click then they will happily let you go home early and expect others to do extra to ensure the service users are taken care off. Management don’t care about you or the service users, and the majority of staff are only there because they think they can sit around all day and drink tea and do absolutely nothing else.
Management and HR don’t care about your mental health and if you go to them with problems such as bullying, they will actively tell you that the other person has done nothing wrong, and then begin to cause you problems because you’ve brought something up and could potentially cause them problems and some extra paperwork.
I’m not saying that all Perthyn houses are the same, however, the culture I have experienced in Wales from some regional management and HR has been absolutely disgusting.
Pros
Service users
Cons
Unsupportive higher management and HR and lazy colleagues
Excellent employer
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury29 September 2019
Great job satisfaction working with wonderful individuals. Management are extremely supportive. The job offers excellent training and employee benefits. Pay is good and plenty of scope for development!
Great, Rewarding Job!
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire26 September 2019
I have worked at Perthyn for 2 years. I love working with the people we support. Managers are very supportive, training is excellent. The atmosphere of the houses are always relaxed and interesting.
great company and people to work for
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oswestry, Shropshire1 September 2019
I love my job working with amazing customers that I help to have a wonderful independent life in the community in their own home.
My manager is on the other end of the phone when I need her and is a great support.
I don't find my job hard as I have a good working relationship with the customers.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with these special people.
Pros
great company
Love my job
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Oswestry23 August 2019
I have been working with Perthyn for the past year as a support worker. I love my job. The people we support are give a voice and are listen too. Managers are fab and only problems are dealt with. Training is second to none. Only training you think you might need they will help you get it. It’s lovely to see adults with learning disabilities being given the chance to live a a life like us and watch them grown as a person. Would recommend this company to anyone who was looking for a career in supported living
Great staff team and service users, terrible management
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Wales13 August 2019
I have worked for this company for a while and it’s fair to say that the only downfall of Perthyn is the management. They feed off drama and like to cause rifts within the settings. The priorities of management are completely out of line and do not seem to care about the service users lives and best interests, to give them the greatest possibilities. Sadly they are to focused on trying to break down their staff teams.
A lot of the time you will find that the ‘wing it’ approach is implemented, due to lack of management skills and knowledge of the care sector. When things do not work out in ways they intended, the blame is then put onto staff without any hesitation.
Pros
Strong staff team
Nice & calm
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Worksop4 August 2019
I have worked for the company for coming upto 6 months, I find that the management are understanding & try to accommodate where they can. The job its self can be tiring and draining however it is usually a nice and calm atmosphere. The company have been more than understanding as a whole & upto yet I am very happy in this job.
14 August 2019

Thank you for your positive review of working for Perthyn. We appreciate that the support worker role can be challenging but it is very rewarding. It is pleasing to read that you are happy with the support you have received.

Person Centred
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Powys2 August 2019
Lovely place to work, great support from Managers and colleagues alike
Wonderful individuals
Only left due to relocation and was sad to leave
Highly recommend
Pros
Great culture & supportive
14 August 2019

Thank you for your positive review of Perthyn, it is a shame that you had to leave due to relocation but we wish you all the best.

Best job I’ve had!
Community Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Nottingham / Wales / Shropshire16 July 2019
I can honestly say that this is the best company I’ve worked for and the most satisfying job I love held. It has its ups and downs like every other and it has its stresses. However I have progressed through the ranks in a short period of time. I feel like I have had the support needed from higher management and now changes are being made for the better.
Pros
Supportive Management, promotion opportunities, family feeling team around us
Cons
Higher pay would be nice.
14 August 2019

Thank you for your positive review of Perthyn. Pay is reviewed on a regular basis and, as you've experienced, progression opportunities do allow for individuals to improve their salary bands. It is pleasing to read that you have had senior management support and are happy with the organisation's direction.

Totally Person Centred
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire16 July 2019
Perthyn really is an amazing place to work
It is totally person centred and the support given is fantastic
Lots of opportunity for career progression and you are well supported by management
Highly recommend
Pros
Managers
14 August 2019

Thank you for your positive review of Perthyn, it is pleasing to read that you have been supported by managers and believe in our person-centred support

Amazing Place to work
Support Service Administrator. (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire16 July 2019
I have seen both sides to this company, the care side and the office side. Both very rewarding and loved. Staff and management are great, friendly and supportive. Everyone cares about the individuals we support. Yes hours can be difficult but this is a care job that provides care around the clock. It is an extremely rewarding place to work. highly recommend.
Pros
Good Pay, Friendly staff.
14 August 2019

Thank you for your positive review of Perthyn, we are pleased that you feel rewarded within your role

Not person centered
Group home support worker (Former Employee) –  Shropshire14 July 2019
Terrible company .. 99%of the time they want quanity NOT quality staff v few had their hearts in the job .. ..lying backstabbing .. bulling management . If u challenge them over practices u then get targeted .. promised 6wk in advance rotas .. would b lucky to get then 24hrs b4 the old 1 ran out .. no consistency with wkend hours so impossible to arrange ur own lives around work . No consideration for staff ..never listened to long term staff and totaly undermined them .. forced good long term tuped staff to leave jobs they loved .. always advertising for staff on a weekly basis because they cant retain staff .. prefer to offer overtime to agency instead of there own staff in order to punish them ..they insisted you booked our annual leave 12 MTHS in advance!!!! avoid like the plague 101%other jobs out there 2 do carework .. they never grasped the concept that if u look after your staff ..ur staff will look after the firm .. in 30yrs iv never met a company like them ..appauling
Pros
Iv finaly left
Cons
Lying backstabing management .. its their word agaist urs ..
Great place
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swansea6 July 2019
Brilliant place to work, very friendly staff and good benefits
10 July 2019

Thank you for your positive review, it is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your time working for Perthyn

Support Worker (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Shrewsbury21 June 2019
Support worker full time (Former Employee) –  Swansea17 June 2019
Hard work
support worker (Former Employee) –  Llanelli, Carmarthenshire24 May 2019
Difficult job but good hard work. individuals great but challenging at times, pay was basic but good training, a bit much at the start but better when you are in the service
30 May 2019

Thank you for your positive review and recognition that whilst the support worker role is challenging it is very rewarding. Perthyn do offer full, paid for comprehensive training which many of our employees benefit from.

Satisfying, a supportive company
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Brecon, Powys,23 May 2019
I've worked for perthyn for around 4 years, I've found this job to be the most rewarding in all my employment years, perthyn have been fantastic in providing support, training, development, I get 6 weeks rota in advance, my pay increments and AL have increased yearly. I've worked in a few Perthyn houses, in different areas and have settled in the Brecon area which is impressive, management are reliable, responsive and supportive, I have great satisfaction supporting the individuals fulfil their PCP which Perthyn promote and encourage, I'm really happy and can see myself staying for many years to come.
Pros
Payscale, individuals, fully supportive
30 May 2019

Thank you for your positive review, it is pleasing to read that you are happy at Perthyn and look forward to your future at the organisation.

Proud to work for Perthyn
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  Swansea23 May 2019
Naturally as the Recruitment Manager for Perthyn this review does come with a slight bias. However, I could not write a positive review without genuinely meaning it.

Personally, I have progressed, developed and been promoted. I have received support and guidance to complete HR qualifications to ensure I am fully qualified. I work with wonderful, caring people and have had the benefit of working for two very supportive, knowledgeable managers who only want the best for the people we support, our employees and the organisation.

I have seen colleagues grow with confidence, being promoted to positions with additional responsibility and making the most of these opportunities. It is so rewarding to work for an organisation which believes in people and puts them first - both the people we support and our employees.

As a not for profit organisation the wages can be less competitive than private sector organisations. However, the salary structure is still very reasonable and their benefits package rivals all other organisations I have worked for.

Flexibility isn’t just a word used for a 30 minute early finish on a Friday. I manage my own diary and can choose how my day is structured within the hours of 8am to 6pm. I know that support workers have to work a variety of shifts but there is also flexibility with that too.

Our website lists all of the other benefits but for me nothing rivals the people I work with. The organisation is welcoming and homely, which is why a number of our staff have stayed for 10, 15, 20 years. Perthyn also recognise that improvements can be
  more... made and have plans in place to do this, for example the development of a wellbeing strategy.

A few years ago I had the choice of two job offers, I will be forever grateful that I chose to work for Perthyn.
Pros
Flexibility, Eap, caring staff team, knowledgable departments, company sick pay, pension, progression and training
Cons
I haven’t experienced any cons working for Perthyn
30 May 2019

Thank you for your positive review. Many of our employees have been employed at Perthyn for a number of years due to the reasons you've highlighted.

Rewarding
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Shrewsbury, Shropshire21 May 2019
I have worked at Perthyn for 3 years, I enjoy working with the clients. Shifts can be difficult but I enjoy seeing the service users develop. The pay is basic but £55 for sleep ins are good, all training is provided. Some managers aren’t as good as others but mine is supportive so can’t complain
Pros
Sleep ins
Cons
Short notice for shifts sometimes
22 May 2019

We're really pleased to read that you enjoy working for Perthyn, particularly with the individuals we support. We have recently increased our sleep in rate to £55 per shift and this has been positively received by all of the staff team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Perthyn. Our community is ready to answer.