Perth and Kinross Council Employee Reviews

Heavily bureaucratic, however fulfilling and rewarding
Social Care Officer (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross25 March 2018
Enjoyed the work and people I worked with however over the years the job became very bereaucratic and difficult due to constant management changes and processes, a them and us culture from office. Due to council outsourcing my positionit was under review for a couple of years so lots of uncertainty around job security and very vague answers from senior management. Daily tasks involved assisting clients in their own home with personal care medication promoting and nutritional care amongst other tasks. Very rewarding and enjoyable.
Pros
Good rate of pay enjoyed the social engagement
Cons
Beaurocratic and less care focussed
Great council to work for
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Kinross16 February 2018
It's great to be one small cog in a huge wheel, where the wheel contains great people from the CEO to the people who empty the bins.

Loved every minute of working there.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Bit worried about bad bin reviews in the paper
Not what its cracked up to be
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross12 January 2018
Work life balance is good,
Pay not so much.
Seems that people are in the wrong jobs and get promoted because of who they know rather than ability.
Often unqualified supervisors or managers telling qualified staff how to do their jobs to the detriment of moral and the correct functioning of the organisation.
Big on blame culture within the organisation.
Worked with some great and influential people.
Forensic Mental Health Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth and Kinross Council21 December 2017
My role as a Forensic mental Health Assistant was watered down to the point where there was very little for me to do. It was a good job when i first started.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Little scope for promotion. Not many training opportunities.
A productive and relaxed workplace
Administration Modern Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Perth19 December 2017
it was a productive and relaxed workplace, that gave plenty of experience and I would have loved to continue to pursue my career here if my fixed term contract hadn't run out.
Business and Administration Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross11 December 2017
PKC has been a great place for me to work as it has given me hugh opportunities such as Qualifications and the confidence i needed to go out and look for full time jobs. I have gained many skills such as Excel and other microsoft packages. The best part of the job would be the team i am working with as they fully support my apprenticeship and give me all the help and encouragement i need.
Pros
Flexi Time
Cons
Not permanent post
gm
Ground Worker (Current Employee) –  Aberfeldy, Perth and Kinross14 September 2017
working with the people I work with is very good and the job is very satisfying I also like the help you get from fellow employers a day at work is too tidy all the grass by driving triples and hustlers and doing striming and blower and mowers I learned how too work new machinery too me management are friendly and always willing too help the workplace is friendly and very good the hardest part off the job is nothing realy just trying too get all jobs done too a scedull but not pushed too do that the most enjoyable part is working with the people and doing the job right
Pros
not pushed
productive
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Perth City North21 August 2017
I work as a Primary Teacher, teaching in various different classes within a school. I have learned a vast amount about the curriculum, learning and teaching styles and resources necessary at each stage. It is very rewarding to observe young children achieving and making progress in their learning.
Pros
supportive collegues
poor management culture
FOOD SAFETY OFFICER/WATER TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Perth3 August 2017
Carrying out Food Hygiene Inspections.
Experience gained included inspection of various types and standards of Food Premises and Private Water Supplies; working with businesses and the legislative requirements and serving improvement notices where necessary; CPD in relevant subjects and aspects of the work; investigation of Food Poisoning and Food Borne Disease cases and Outbreaks.
The management culture was top heavy, negative and displayed protective and incompetent behaviours. A number of very professional, competent officers left which was a great loss.
The hardest part of the job was the high number of meetings which impacted on time and the lack of confidence the team had in management and the constant changes in procedures.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the work itself which was both challenging and rewarding; seeing businesses improve through my input and so increasing in their level of legal compliance, efficiency and standards; good team work and increasing my level of knowledge; investigating the probable source of food poisoning and foodborne disease cases and prevention of outbreaks.
Pros
salary
Perth High School
Administration Manager (Current Employee) –  Perth High School28 July 2017
Life at Perth High School is never dull. We have 1500 pupils to cater for and it can be a very very busy environment to work in. The most enjoyable part of my job in to be able to help pupils accomplish and achieve. One of my main roles within the school is to administer the Outdoor Education department (Duke of Edinburgh Climbing Club etc), there are many different levels to achieve and many different areas to cover - Volunteering, Skill, Physical - that all pupils need to accomplish in order to gain their award (Bronze, Silver, Gold). Communication skills are imperative within my role to both comunicate with internal and external clients.
Pros
Free Parking, Staff Discounts
Cons
Long holidays not required now due to grown children
Mathematics teacher ex PT Guidance
Maths Teacher (Current Employee) –  Local secondary25 July 2017
Currently seeking possible early retirement and a part time job to occupy time and or boost disposable income. Seeking early retirement and a fun job to do.
Pros
Flexible to suit
Cons
Weekends not appropriate nor evenings
Forward looking, innovative council that looks after its citizens and staff
Team Leader - Development (Current Employee) –  Perth City Centre, Perth and Kinross22 June 2017
Working for Perth and Kinross Council has been a very positive experience with numerous learning opportunities given to help transform and improve service delivery.
Pros
Being part of a team committed to delivering quality services
Great Foundations
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kinross, UK19 June 2017
Working for Perth and Kinross Council and the many departments I worked in gave me such a great foundations moving forward working within an office / customer service role in the future.
Amazing year!
French Language Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross30 May 2017
I had an amazing year working for the Perth and Kinross Council, they gave me an amazing opportunity to work to work as a Language Assistant and to be part of the 1+2 project !
Job security
Refuse Collector (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross27 May 2017
Good place to work. Job security. Training is good and helpful. Can put in for training courses etc to help get better jobs within the council. Management are helpful
I loved working at PKC!
Social worker (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross26 January 2017
As a social work student I had my final placement within one of the children and families teams. I went onto work in social work for PKC for almost ten years.
Management support is consistent and predictable. Processes are methodical, it's a great base from which to practice. The culture is open, the opportunities to progress are fantastic.
Pros
Great training opportunities and support; good chance of promotion
Cons
Genuinely none, other than the limited scale of the city
Great teamwork and personal development opportunities.
Social care officer (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross25 January 2017
Really fun place to work. Team are excellent and very supportive.
Excellent training opportunities and given chance to use own initiative.
I am doing things I never thought I would, but due to encouragement from team, I can.
Pros
Fun, enjoyable, varied.
Slow and steady
Flooding Technician Intern (Current Employee) –  Perth and Kinross29 July 2016
7.12 hour day, new skills learnt, management is great, brilliant line manager, co-workers great as all on same level, flexible
Fun workplace
Classroom Assistant (Work Experience) (Former Employee) –  Perth and Kinross15 July 2016
I done work experience at Tulloch Primary School in 2014.
I enjoyed it very much as staff were incredible.
The job was not hard at all as it was enjoyable.
When I was interested in my career being with children I would have wanted to work there as a permanent assistant.
I had fun working with both children and staff.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
n/a
Challenging
Community Link Worker (Current Employee) –  Perth5 May 2016
Every day is different, but there are times when you're running groups or have 1-1's over a period of weeks at set times.
The work is challenging because there are many referrals and a great need for support and you have to use your experience to engage in the work which needs priority.
Management has always been an issue as after our original founder moved on there has never been a management who has fully understood our role and supported us appropriately.
The most enjoyable aspect of the job is always putting your clients first and seeing their progress under your support or other agencies whom you signposted them to.
Pros
Variety of the role
Cons
Lack of support and supervision