Pendragon Pay & Benefits reviews

Awful company
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  York16 October 2018
If you enjoy working stupidly long hours for little to no benefits - this is the place for you.

Scheduled hours 8:30-7 (sometimes 8pm if you're on the late finish) and getting a stern b*llocking from a manager if you took more than 10 minutes to eat your lunch...bearing in mind you're entitled to an hour.

You are not paid physically on any car you sell until you reach a minimum of 12 units sold (and even then, you're only getting £5 per car). You are forced to rip people off blind with ridiculously high interests rates of finance on a car that would usually be extremely affordable as well as shove products down their throats that they don't need. Pureguard also happens to be the biggest shower of sh*te that's ever been produced.

Management don't care for your personal life outside work, and taking a holiday (especially on a weekend) is cardinal sin!

'Company Car Included' in job advertisement is a load of rubbish. Get into your dealership and you'll get the usual "It's up to the Dealer Principal" or "you have to be serve your 6 months probation period"

Don't settle working for this failing company that's managed by incompetent morons. The grass is definitely greener elsewhere!!
Avoid at all costs
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland5 October 2018
Evans Halshaw Cramlington is the worst ran business I’ve ever experienced, unrealistic targets, stupid amount of hours and don’t get me started on the management - a person in particular is a horrible bully and doesn’t care for a second about your life outside of work... or in work to be honest

Company car is pointless

The pay for the hours and effort you put in - joke. (You don’t get paid a penny for cars you sell until you hit 12)

7 months of 8 o’clock finishes and 5 months of o’clock finishes - another way Evans Halshaw rip your eyes out.

Oh and don’t forget you start 15 minutes before your contracted start time so the whole team can get a grilling and start the day off to a whole lot of negativity.

Only positive is the sales lads and the business manager is absolutely exceptional, Shame he can’t run the whole garage.

If you love having no life, being stressed and constantly feeling down - apply for this role.
Pros
Sales lads.
Cons
Management, hours, pay, targets, benefits
long hours, poor work to life balance.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Durham19 September 2018
in this job i feel like we get more grief than praise even when sales are going well and get given an even harder time when sales are low. team morale is at an all time low and staff are always leaving and wanting to leave creating more stress for people who want to stay.
Pros
good money
Cons
poor work to life balance. horrendous hours
4 October 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - we are looking into the hours our team members work and we are dedicated to providing support to our team members so will take your comments on board.

Poor Commission Structure
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  East Midlands5 September 2018
You have to sell a lot of Cars to make a living at Evans Halshaw. Targets change month to month and unless you hit target you are £5 a Car. Your first three months you are basically on minimum wage, less when you put extra hours in.
I have seen the copy and paste generic responses to the posts on here. Tells you a lot about the company, lip service with no substance in all departments.
I am six month in and will give it another few months but like everybody at Evans Halshaw, nobody lasts long. Seen many people come and go in my short time here, mostly good people who were treated badly.
If they ran this like the business they pretend to be it would be a great place. But nobody counts, not the employees and certainly not the customers.
Watch the copy and paste on this one :)
Pros
It's a job and you get to meet some nice people.
Cons
Leaders, targets, pressure and stress
11 September 2018

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. We are, of course, disappointed to hear that you are not enjoying your time at Evans Halshaw. We aim to treat every one of our team members to the highest standard and we are in the midst of reviewing our pay structure. We would love to see you continue with us in your role and any troubles you are having can be discussed with your Leader or AskHR should you wish. We hope this helps and again are sorry to hear you feel this way.

Poor management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 August 2018
Worked here for a year. Absolutely no work/life balance, hours are too long to even begin thinking about having a life. Benefits and perks were not appealing in the slightest, when compared to other dealerships, you wonder why anybody would choose to work there. Good to get your foot in the door to the industry I guess? A lot of favouritism within my dealership, very very cliquey and to be honest, management had a poor work mentality.

dealer principal, hard working and empathetic but people above sales level were not professional and it's a wonder half of them received promotions. Admin/accounts/support staff etc. very poor attitudes and spoke to sales in a disrespectful manner. All round, poor mentality- for the hours you put in, you got nothing back. No training structure, lack of support. Business managers and sales leaders, an absolute joke in terms of work ethic and ability to actually support and help sales staff, states some of them used to appear to work was appalling- with promotion, comes responsibility and this was not evident in my store.
Pros
Very little.
Cons
Long hours, poor management, lack of support, unprofessional sales managers
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - we are looking into the hours our team members work and we are dedicated to providing support and training to our team members so will take your comments on board.

Wouldnt reccommend
Car salesman (Former Employee) –  Evans Halshaw Motherwell13 August 2018
I worked as a used car sales executive, For just under a year here. the hours are far too long for a work/life balance, the used car sales leader and one of the business managers are an absolute joke.

There is absolutely no motivation if you struggle for sales they just tell you how bad you are and that you won't succeed and take deals from you.

You cant raise this with anyone because the person who is supposed to be in charge wont give you the time of day and the dealer principle will only tell you to report to them.

The commission is not worth getting out of bed for, you don't make a penny on commission until you sell 12 cars to only then make £5 a car, sure it goes up but for the time and effort needed to make a decent wage you could do literally at any other dealership with half the effort and make more money.

My recommendation is to stay away. There was at least 8 sales executives who started and left within the used car department in under a year and the pressure and just the shear disregard in how they speak to you at management level is just not worth the effort.

It has by far been the worst management team i have ever worked under, everyone in every job complains about their bosses but this was just ridiculous.
Pros
Great salea team
Cons
worst management team
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - we are looking into the hours our team members work as well as other areas so will take your comments on board.

Some great people
Dealer Principal (Former Employee) –  Harrogate5 July 2018
great structure and training programmes. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Process for everything and some great team member benefits.
Fun at times with a good working environment. Only con as with most motor retailers is not the hours but the days. Spread the hours across less days and people would be happier at work and home.
Pros
company car
Cons
6 days per week could be spread into 5 longer days would give people a better work/life balance.
14 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review! We will take your work-life balance comments on board as this is an area we are working to improve.

Worst place to work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coventry15 June 2018
Having worked at Evans halshaw as a sales executive for over 6 months I can confirm it is the worst place to work. They will make you work 12 hour shifts without a break and say your not entitled to one, they'll make you stay 2-3 hours extra without pay. The smallest problem you'll have there is the commission, you get paid £5 per car that you sell.
4 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, sorry to hear you are not enjoying your time with us. We will take your comments on board.

Great colleagues.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Vauxhall11 June 2018
My colleagues were brilliant to work with and we were very supportive of each other. The hours were ok with one weekend off per month. The dealership went through three dealer principals in just over a year.
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
Bad hours, very biased and poor management 3 dealer principals in a year...
12 June 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, good to hear you enjoyed working with your team members.

F&I Development Leader (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire25 May 2018
I was persuaded to join Pendragon by an excellent Manager. When he left his Division and moved on, the company ethos changed entirely. Their Demands became extremely dictatorial and too demands given that my role covered the whole of the UK. Was expected to be in a site at 0830 until 6 on a daily basis - it took it's toll, hence re-joining GE
Pros
Better salary
Cons
Culture & staff turnover
12 June 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us.

Do yourself a favour and do NOT work here
Accounts (Former Employee) –  Scotland5 May 2018
Terrible company to work for. Don't care about the people. People are just a number.

Nothing good to say about this company!!

Don't waste a minute of your career on this company!
Pros
Cons
No wage raises but expect more and more, Are not treated fairly, Horrible company to work for, Total under value its people.
8 May 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us but we will take your comments on board as we continue to make positive changes.

Under valued and under paid
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear13 April 2018
Not a bad place to work in terms of the people you work with. But that is as far as it goes.

The salary and bonus structure is appalling, way way behind their competition and they wonder why they aren’t doing as well as the competition. Bonus structure changes regularly but never for the better. Higher management are very reactive to throw incentives on areas that drop in performance when the horse has already bolted. A carrot of a pay structure change is always dangled and never materialises, as per many of the replies to these reviews, you can see they have been changing the pay structure since Q2 2017, this still has not happened.

You are expected to work all the hours under the sun for minimum wage for a normal 40 hour week. You will most likely work 60 hours a week. You are also expected to do way more than your actual job role. 14 days into the month and we still don’t have a commission structure or target for the month.

Overall moral is low, targets unachievable, pay appalling. If the management actually just set a commission structure that was incentivising and consistent they might get a better result.
Pros
Nice Company Car. Good laugh with team
Cons
Long hours, low pay, no consistency
nothing great nothing bad
Used Car Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Doncaster27 March 2018
just youre typical plc car dealer. work long hours and no particular incentive to sell, but all round not a bad company to work for management and good work lifestyle
Pros
not anchored to one place four hours
6 April 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, good to hear you are enjoying your time with us. We are currently reviewing our structures to improve shift times for our team members.

Nice people to work with. Management Poor!
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norwich27 March 2018
Terrible company.They set unrealistic targets for sales and them raise them for the next month. Commission structure - What A Joke - £5 per car 🤔 Avoid
Pros
Nice team
Cons
Management, comission structure, not being able to earn decent money over your basic
6 April 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We are currently reviewing our commission structure to place more incentive on providing an excellent service to our customers.

Always busy, but a good environment.
Dealership Financial Controller (Former Employee) –  England20 February 2018
Good people, everyone always wanted the best for each other. The chances for people to progress and advance are there for people who wish to take them.
Pros
Discounts available
Cons
Hours can be long.
12 March 2018

Thanks for your great review! Good to hear you enjoyed your time with us and took advantage of the progression opportunities available.

Lowest paying in the business
Aftersales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh Vauxhall23 January 2018
Terrible basic salaries, for all staff apart from "management".
Zero potential to better yourself unless wanting to be chained to your desk/phone 24/7. Lost so so so many good people out the business due to refusing to pay what they were worth. Myself included, went from a supervisory position in Pendragon down to an Advisor elsewhere but for 3.5k more. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Shocked this site is still open.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Low salary, useless staff due to low salaries on offer
12 March 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We are currently reviewing salaries across the business so will take your comments on board.

Good
Aftersales Manager (Current Employee) –  Motherwell, North Lanarkshire5 January 2018
Fast paced organisation
Growing used car market share
Process driven company
Good salary packages available
Progression and training available in all job roles
12 March 2018

Thanks for your fantastic review! Great to hear you are having a positive experience with us and taking advantage of the progression opportunities and training available to you.

Long hours with poor commission structure
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Falkirk, Falkirk30 November 2017
Not enough money for the hours put in, the commission structure is a joke. Good sales team to work with, management as a whole is pretty up and down as expected but the Dealer Principal is the best I have worked for.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Long hours for low pay
Was a good place to work
Assistant Accountant (Former Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross24 October 2017
I worked there for a long time and saw many changes. Pendragon changed a lot when they took over and most of it was not for the better. They froze salaries and upped hours. Not a great experience
30 November 2017

Thanks for your review. Good to hear you enjoyed your time with us, despite the changes. We will take your comments on board. - Pendragon HR Team

Good place to work and begin in the car industry
Trainee Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff1 August 2017
I worked here as trainee car mechanic working and being trained by the best technician there in order to help me develop my skills.

Its a nice environment and can be very good at times.
Pros
1 hour lunch break, good pay
Cons
Long hours 8-5pm Monday-Friday

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pendragon. Our community is ready to answer.