Pendragon Employee Reviews

Awful company
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  York16 October 2018
If you enjoy working stupidly long hours for little to no benefits - this is the place for you.

Scheduled hours 8:30-7 (sometimes 8pm if you're on the late finish) and getting a stern b*llocking from a manager if you took more than 10 minutes to eat your lunch...bearing in mind you're entitled to an hour.

You are not paid physically on any car you sell until you reach a minimum of 12 units sold (and even then, you're only getting £5 per car). You are forced to rip people off blind with ridiculously high interests rates of finance on a car that would usually be extremely affordable as well as shove products down their throats that they don't need. Pureguard also happens to be the biggest shower of sh*te that's ever been produced.

Management don't care for your personal life outside work, and taking a holiday (especially on a weekend) is cardinal sin!

'Company Car Included' in job advertisement is a load of rubbish. Get into your dealership and you'll get the usual "It's up to the Dealer Principal" or "you have to be serve your 6 months probation period"

Don't settle working for this failing company that's managed by incompetent morons. The grass is definitely greener elsewhere!!
Would not like to work for pendragon again.
Warranty Administrator (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton15 October 2018
If I had to work for Pentagon it would have to under better working conditions/salary. Have the tools to do the job they expect you to do. Any only do the hours that you get paid for no more & no less
Avoid at all costs
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Cramlington, Northumberland5 October 2018
Evans Halshaw Cramlington is the worst ran business I’ve ever experienced, unrealistic targets, stupid amount of hours and don’t get me started on the management - a person in particular is a horrible bully and doesn’t care for a second about your life outside of work... or in work to be honest

Company car is pointless

The pay for the hours and effort you put in - joke. (You don’t get paid a penny for cars you sell until you hit 12)

7 months of 8 o’clock finishes and 5 months of o’clock finishes - another way Evans Halshaw rip your eyes out.

Oh and don’t forget you start 15 minutes before your contracted start time so the whole team can get a grilling and start the day off to a whole lot of negativity.

Only positive is the sales lads and the business manager is absolutely exceptional, Shame he can’t run the whole garage.

If you love having no life, being stressed and constantly feeling down - apply for this role.
Pros
Sales lads.
Cons
Management, hours, pay, targets, benefits
Poor working conditions
Smart Repair Technician (Former Employee) –  Midlands21 September 2018
State of the art body shop makes me laugh.
Basically it's a shed in a car park with no extraction for paint fumes or dust. It breaks nearly every health and safety laws going and no one cares.
Pros
Hours
Cons
Money, management and lack of health and safety.
4 October 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - the safety of our team members is at the top of our priority list, we will take your comments on board going forward.

long hours, poor work to life balance.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Durham19 September 2018
in this job i feel like we get more grief than praise even when sales are going well and get given an even harder time when sales are low. team morale is at an all time low and staff are always leaving and wanting to leave creating more stress for people who want to stay.
Pros
good money
Cons
poor work to life balance. horrendous hours
4 October 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - we are looking into the hours our team members work and we are dedicated to providing support to our team members so will take your comments on board.

Fun workplace but management needs work
New Car Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Stourbridge10 September 2018
In my short time there i saw a lot of what pendragon has to offer. The team where I worked was brilliant, really stuck together as a family unit to deal with the unrealistic targets that pendragon would set for us. So many reviews and customer feed back on every single customer doesn’t shine people in the best light
Pros
Company car
Cons
Long hours, unrealistic sales targets
4 October 2018

Thank you for leaving us a great review! We are looking into the way hours and shifts are structured and will take your feedback comments on board.

Poor Commission Structure
Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  East Midlands5 September 2018
You have to sell a lot of Cars to make a living at Evans Halshaw. Targets change month to month and unless you hit target you are £5 a Car. Your first three months you are basically on minimum wage, less when you put extra hours in.
I have seen the copy and paste generic responses to the posts on here. Tells you a lot about the company, lip service with no substance in all departments.
I am six month in and will give it another few months but like everybody at Evans Halshaw, nobody lasts long. Seen many people come and go in my short time here, mostly good people who were treated badly.
If they ran this like the business they pretend to be it would be a great place. But nobody counts, not the employees and certainly not the customers.
Watch the copy and paste on this one :)
Pros
It's a job and you get to meet some nice people.
Cons
Leaders, targets, pressure and stress
11 September 2018

Thank you for your feedback, it is much appreciated. We are, of course, disappointed to hear that you are not enjoying your time at Evans Halshaw. We aim to treat every one of our team members to the highest standard and we are in the midst of reviewing our pay structure. We would love to see you continue with us in your role and any troubles you are having can be discussed with your Leader or AskHR should you wish. We hope this helps and again are sorry to hear you feel this way.

good team
Technician (Former Employee) –  Wakefield28 August 2018
will give anyone a go ahead when doing apprenticeship or finished college or uni
good place to start off to help you learn and build trust in people.
meet friends for life
Pros
staff
Cons
work load
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review! We will take your work-life balance comments on board as this is an area we are working to improve.

Poor management
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 August 2018
Worked here for a year. Absolutely no work/life balance, hours are too long to even begin thinking about having a life. Benefits and perks were not appealing in the slightest, when compared to other dealerships, you wonder why anybody would choose to work there. Good to get your foot in the door to the industry I guess? A lot of favouritism within my dealership, very very cliquey and to be honest, management had a poor work mentality.

dealer principal, hard working and empathetic but people above sales level were not professional and it's a wonder half of them received promotions. Admin/accounts/support staff etc. very poor attitudes and spoke to sales in a disrespectful manner. All round, poor mentality- for the hours you put in, you got nothing back. No training structure, lack of support. Business managers and sales leaders, an absolute joke in terms of work ethic and ability to actually support and help sales staff, states some of them used to appear to work was appalling- with promotion, comes responsibility and this was not evident in my store.
Pros
Very little.
Cons
Long hours, poor management, lack of support, unprofessional sales managers
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - we are looking into the hours our team members work and we are dedicated to providing support and training to our team members so will take your comments on board.

Wouldnt reccommend
Car salesman (Former Employee) –  Evans Halshaw Motherwell13 August 2018
I worked as a used car sales executive, For just under a year here. the hours are far too long for a work/life balance, the used car sales leader and one of the business managers are an absolute joke.

There is absolutely no motivation if you struggle for sales they just tell you how bad you are and that you won't succeed and take deals from you.

You cant raise this with anyone because the person who is supposed to be in charge wont give you the time of day and the dealer principle will only tell you to report to them.

The commission is not worth getting out of bed for, you don't make a penny on commission until you sell 12 cars to only then make £5 a car, sure it goes up but for the time and effort needed to make a decent wage you could do literally at any other dealership with half the effort and make more money.

My recommendation is to stay away. There was at least 8 sales executives who started and left within the used car department in under a year and the pressure and just the shear disregard in how they speak to you at management level is just not worth the effort.

It has by far been the worst management team i have ever worked under, everyone in every job complains about their bosses but this was just ridiculous.
Pros
Great salea team
Cons
worst management team
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us - we are looking into the hours our team members work as well as other areas so will take your comments on board.

Horrible
Vehicle Buying Advisor (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire13 August 2018
They were horrible to work for, I wasnt given the tools to do my job, and then they blamed me for it... They then fixed one issue, I'd turn up to work the next day and didn't have a desk, or a keyboard, or internet, or a mouse, or any customers. Many more issues happened with this, like internet wasn't working on my computer one day, and then they told me i had to fix it... this being a full server array with many different things to do on it (I know more about it now but at the time I didn't nor was it my job.)

DONT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE
Pros
Cons
too many to tell.
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us but we will take your comments on board as we continue to make positive changes.

low staff moral and lack of hierarchy
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham3 August 2018
This was not a pleasant place to work. lots of staff are not mature enough to be in the job. It is very unprofessional and staff turnover is very high. It is no wonder having experienced what it is like first hand. I would not recommend anyone to work in the HR department especially unless you are desperate fr a minimum wage job.
Pros
cheap lunches
30 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We will take your comments on board.

Professional and fun place to work.
Accounts Assistant, Evans Halshaw (Former Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear6 July 2018
I loved working for Pendragon and i was welcomed to the team from day one. I became one of the team and was sad to leave but have remained close with colleagues,
14 August 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review! Thanks for all your hard work during your time with us.

Some great people
Dealer Principal (Former Employee) –  Harrogate5 July 2018
great structure and training programmes. Start at the bottom and work your way up. Process for everything and some great team member benefits.
Fun at times with a good working environment. Only con as with most motor retailers is not the hours but the days. Spread the hours across less days and people would be happier at work and home.
Pros
company car
Cons
6 days per week could be spread into 5 longer days would give people a better work/life balance.
14 August 2018

Very Busy
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kirkby in Ashfield21 June 2018
Very Bust And Training Not Great But You Just Use Your Knowledge and experience gained. Parking is offered good but small canteen, Wheelchair access offered but only offered a little table in the canteen.

Good team members but the training needs to be looked at because I left because the lack of training offered.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Unhappy Customers
4 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, good to hear you liked working with us. We are continuously updating and improving our training offering for all team members so will take your comments on board.

Good company to work for
Delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands20 June 2018
Work as a pendragon driver,collecting and delivering cars to and from dealerships and customers,
Daily routes are simple to follow and no public transport involved,always another member of the team to drop or pick you up
Pros
Short hours, very rarely do 40hrs per week
Cons
Waiting for cars in dealerships sometimes
4 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a great review, good to hear you are enjoying working with us!

Worst place to work
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Coventry15 June 2018
Having worked at Evans halshaw as a sales executive for over 6 months I can confirm it is the worst place to work. They will make you work 12 hour shifts without a break and say your not entitled to one, they'll make you stay 2-3 hours extra without pay. The smallest problem you'll have there is the commission, you get paid £5 per car that you sell.
4 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, sorry to hear you are not enjoying your time with us. We will take your comments on board.

Reasonable for the right person
Recruitment Specialist (Former Employee) –  East Midlands11 June 2018
Whilst there are legitimate opportunities within the group to make a decent career, it is completely subjective to the senior you report to. Unfortunately in my time I was subject to extremely passive aggressive mannerism from my manager who crippled my self confidence so in the end decided to leave purely based on her. For the right kind of person they may flourish in this company and the progression chances are there.
Pros
Fast paced progression opportunities
Cons
Below industry standard pay, backwards people management.
4 July 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your time with us. We are dedicated to providing all our team members with progression plans and development opportunities so it is a shame you felt you didn't experience that. We will take your comments on board.

Great colleagues.
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Vauxhall11 June 2018
My colleagues were brilliant to work with and we were very supportive of each other. The hours were ok with one weekend off per month. The dealership went through three dealer principals in just over a year.
Pros
good colleagues
Cons
Bad hours, very biased and poor management 3 dealer principals in a year...
12 June 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, good to hear you enjoyed working with your team members.

fun workplace
Admin Assistant / Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Gateshead4 June 2018
very kind and helpful staff always tying to help always there if you need a hand
learned various things like how to file and photocopy
taking phone calls
Pros
friendly enviroment
Cons
short lunch times
12 June 2018

Thanks for leaving us a review, good to hear you enjoyed working with us and learned new skills.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Pendragon. Our community is ready to answer.