PDSA Employee Reviews

1 week work experience
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chatham10 October 2018
This was a weeks work experience through school. I learnt how to operate a till and how to provide friendly customer service.
The staff were kind friendly and diverse
Perfect voluntary job!
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham4 October 2018
At such a young age with no experience in the workplace, working at my local PDSA gave me knowledge in working in retail, dealing with customers and introduced me to working with team members.
Pros
Giving back to the less fortunate
Cons
If not busy can be hard to find things to do
fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk4 October 2018
It was a fun place to work because i worked with kind people who made me comfortable while showing me how to do things such as how to work the till and where to put items in the store.
Good cause
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Brighton29 September 2018
the management are amazing, do the best job of making you feel welcome and give you an amazing volunteering experience.
help you learn about retail in every way they can to prepare you for first employment and is a really good first experience of retail.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
unpaid
Fun work place, friendly staff
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Stafford27 September 2018
It's was an amazing time in PDSA. The management is friendly and helpful.
I like work there because it's busy and hard work.
I learned a lot and improve my English.
Pros
Experiences
Cons
20 hours a week.
Good place to volunteer for under 16s
Stock Processor (Former Employee) –  Leigh-on-Sea20 September 2018
I worked as a volunteer in the stock processing during my Bronze duke of Edinburgh award. The manager there was very friendly, and so was my coworker. I enjoyed tagging the clothes that were donated, and sometimes in each donation bag you get a sense of the type of person the person that donated was. Unfortunately due to my age there wasn't much else I could do, I would have preferred to develop my social skills on the main shop floor, but it was nice knowing I could help animals in need by working there.
Pros
Flexible hours, free tea and biscuits, helping vets help pets.
Cons
N/a
retail
Voluntary Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  clayton street newcastle upon tyne20 September 2018
l done steaming clothes and tagging clothes and also sorted bric a brac out for shop floor and l also priced items.it was great working with the staff there got on well with them it was a laugh
great voluteer work
1ET - Labourer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough7 September 2018
friendly staff, with great working hours fully flexable to your standards. non paid as a full charity orginisation in a charity ahop. would recomend for anyone looking to volunteer.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
non paid
friendly team and enjoyable company
Registered Veterinary Nurse (RVN) (Current Employee) –  Romford7 September 2018
depending on practice - sociable hours, great team, learned a lot of valuable nursing skills.

most difficult part of the job is dealing with difficult clients

most rewarding and enjoyable is working with a great team of people to help patients in need and get them back to there normal selves.
Pros
great team
Cons
ever changing management
Work Experience
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mexborough28 August 2018
When I was at PDSA I spent most of my time, sat upstairs labeling the clothes to go downstairs or sorting boxes out of nappies and putting them back into boxes. The staff was not very friendly and expected things out of me that was not quite possible, for example: I broke my glases and they still wanted me to come in although it would have been a hazard.
Pros
Close to home, Easy work.
Cons
Unfriendly staff, unrealistic expectations
Awful place to work
Current Manager (Current Employee) –  Telford, Shropshire28 August 2018
This is an organisation which on the surface promotes a fair, transparent and progressive culture. The reality couldn't be further from the truth. Bullying and intimidation are rife and there is a dog eat dog culture ( pardon the pun)
There is a huge staff turnover, constant redundancies and reorganisation and the organisation doesn't value it's employees, treating people with a lack of care and disrespect.
Projects are started without the necessary funding or resources to complete them successfully and the project manager is made responsible for their failure.
The workplace environment is tense, with everyone watching their own back, which doesn't lend itself to collaborative working.
This is a fantastic cause and the organisation has some passionate, amazing staff.
It is the worst employment experience I've ever had and I would advise you to not waste your time working here.
Pros
Great cause
Cons
No clear direction. Combative culture.
Great cause, big benefits, frustrating leaders
Employee (Former Employee) –  Telford24 August 2018
Great cause and amazing people to work with. Salary is very good as well as the 35 hour working week and various other benefits.
Leadership is poor. Overthink most things and use numerous teams to make decisions that one expert could make. Means good ideas and expertise gets watered down until morale is at an all time low and time has been wasted.
Leadership need to trust their experts more!
Teams in the pet hospitals also feel very hard done by as decisions are often central with lack of communication about reasoning.
Some great team members and lovely culture in pockets, but very dependant on department.
Leadership try to act as puppet masters far too much - even between the individual directors!
If you want an admin role with good work life balance then PDSA is highly recommended. If you want a management role where you can make a difference to an amazing charity, don't bother.
Pros
Great cause, great benefits
Cons
Lack of leadership ability to let you make a difference
It's a good stepping stone for work later on
General volunteer (Former Employee) –  Colchester22 August 2018
It's a little repetitive and some pressure on the job but it's not bad. You get to talk as you work, there's a variety of different people working there and you get a lot of experience. I worked on till for one day but mostly I was in the back tagging and checking clothes and hanging the on hangers.
Pros
Experience, somewhat lenient boss who doesn't mind if you leave a few minutes early
Cons
Pressure
Good place to get experience and make friends.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, Hampshire14 August 2018
I volunteer for three hours, once a week and mainly work on the shop floor. I think it's a great place for 14 year olds to gain some valuable retail experience. I've made some really great friends from working there for just over two years. I have two managers that rotate each week, and both are very kind, considerate people. The hardest part of the job would probably be some of the customers that come into the shop. Often they speak very limited English, so it can be quite difficult to communicate with each other. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is getting to meet lots of new people, and I have made friends with almost all of my colleagues.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Early starts
It was lively and fun place to work
Work Experience Student (Former Employee) –  Coventry, West Midlands14 August 2018
As soon as i walked in they were welcoming. My typical day would consist of unloading donations, rearranging books, pricing and welcoming customers. The hard part was sorting out the bags and deciding what was acceptable to be on the shelf. What i enoyed most was meeting new people and learning new skills.
Pros
long breaks, some freedom aswell.
Cons
heavy lifting .
fun place to work.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth City Centre, Perth and Kinross13 August 2018
when i started working there i had no shop floor experience, the staff were welcoming and patient while i learned the work load, i would work there again in a heart beat they were really nice and the customer service is second to none.
Pros
hour break and nice staff
Cons
N/a
Productive but quiet workplace
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  London10 August 2018
I worked 8 hours a week split into 4 hour shifts twice a week. While I was there I started by organising the items on the shelf organising them by size and colour( with clothes) or date and author(with books or CD’s). I then worked the till as us staff took turns.
Pros
Friendly staff members
Cons
Tedious jobs
Poor staff recognition
Veterinary Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire28 July 2018
If can work all the hours with constant rota changes. Then maybe it’s for you, but if you need steady fixed hours it’s a no no. There is an expectation to work extra or swap rota at the drop of a hat. Making the work life balance impossible. Senior managers have very little regard for staff.
The customers and their pets are great and the work is hard going but rewarding. Teams on the front line really do care. But with the introduction of sals and donation targets for staff it turned into a job about money and not the poorly pets and their owners.
Pros
Front line staff great
Cons
Poor management and consideration for employees
hardworking
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Andover, Hampshire18 July 2018
Doing volunteer work at pdsa was a learning experience for me, it helped me understand the meaning of giving back to the community.i know the charity is for animals and knowing im helping animals get better by selling items that people don't use anymore to others that want them, feels like a win win.
It's okay
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Lisburn16 July 2018
I worked as a volunteer at the charity shop. Our jobs were to sort through and tag clothes, throw them out etc. Also included sorting through books and dvds. It was productive for the first few weeks but after a while it got repetitive and the team I worked with were quite quiet so there wasn't much fun to move the day along. The staff there were lovely though, I couldn't fault them, and the hours were flexible. I did learn customer service skills whilst I was there which are vital to any job, and it will look good on a CV.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Repetitive, boring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at PDSA. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2