PDSA Employee Reviews

United Kingdom673 reviews
Fabulous colleagues
Although working with animals in always poorly paid work, the PDSA does provide an industry competitive salary.
The team work and determination to do as much good as possible is inspiring.

Be prepared to work hard, accurately and fast, but the positives well outweigh the negative every time.
Was an easy-going friendly environment
I only volunteered for PDSA for work experience and for my DofE volunteering section. It was a very friendly environment and also quite easy-going. I helped the shop stay tidy and interact with customers to give them a good experience in the shop.
Management have their favourites
I would NOT recommend working here, unfair pay, bullying within staff, management are unfair never are protected when clients complain. not recommended
Nice place
I've made some great friends and had nice times here, I never thought I'd use a till or never really wanted to, they softly encouraged me and were wonderful. I got everything I wanted from more confidence to more skills, and I came in a very low person.
Lovely team and atmosphere
Welcoming and friendly place to work, Il learned about good customer service, working within a team and learned most aspects within the retail shop. The manager was supportive and I felt as though she had a lot of time with me.
I felt as though I did this job effectively and was always encouraged to learn new parts of the role.
Busy and fun workplace
Typical days are usually busy with donations coming in all the time. I learned many skills required in a retail environment. The management were really good with their training and will listen when something is not understood. Everyone works hard at keeping the shop running because they all have a different role. The hardest part of the job are the customers as every customer is different and not always the easiest to work with. The most enjoyable part was the staff as you can talk to anyone and they're always willing to help.
Very productive
The staff at the PDSA were very kind and helpful. The atmosphere in the shop was busy and comfortable. I learned better customer service skills and money handling.
One to one
Started on sorting on clothes and brick a brac and stock rotation then on till serving customers. Make them feel welcome plus keep eye on shop floor.
Unpleasant
Endless, unsatisfying, tiring, dirty, stressful, badly organised. If you care about animals, just don't bother.
If you relish conflicts, arguing with hagglers and shoplifters, debating endlessly about prices, sorting hoards of donations that should really have gone to the rubbish tip, supporting volunteers, checking illiterate bossy emails from upper management, doing shop banking, checking safety procedures and doing admin *all at the same time*, then this role is for you.

Your input from upper management takes the form of 'sales rally calls'; badly written emails and newsletters placing blame for poor sales squarely on the already overworked shop managers. This sales rallying is backed up by accusatory phone calls, taking you away from all your main duties. Sometimes you will be given a pep-talk if times get tougher than usual.

You will be warned about shoplifters, but don't ever expect to be supported by security devices such as mirrors or even dummy-CCTV. Each shop is left to be run at the discretion of each shop manager, which means 'local arrangements' galore, adding to the chaos when shop managers look after shops in different locales for each other.

You will be expected to donate your time with minimal recognition, since your contracted hours only cover shop opening times minus an hour for break/s, but lots and lots of work is needed out-of-hours to keep the shop running. Your rota for the days you will work will remain a mystery until a day or two before the new working week, and will still be subject to change depending on the whims of management, making a mockery
 - more...
Pros
Some really weird items donated
Cons
Alright
Good for voluntary work and duke of Edinburgh award. Easy work times and its nice knowing that the money is going to a good cause. Good for expanding your skills.
Excellent
I am currently working as a locum nurse for the PDSA in newcross and I have to say they are the loveliest group of people and the working environment is amazing.
I shall be very sad to leave!
My favourite job
I absolutely loved working here.i only left because I moved the staff are lovely and if course you are with animals all the time.it is a long night and hard but you are a lone worker so you dont have someone telling which bit to clean first but a little suggestion always clean the kennels first they take ages to dry.but I loved it and would go back tomorrow 8f I lived near there
Good environment
It was a fantastic opportunity to start like Locum. People very chatty, they were helping each others like a team. Really good environment where you can share your cases and improve together.
Happy to help
I was a volunteer here and I love it. Helping around the shop I was mostly up in the stock room but aiming to help the pets in need
I hope my time there was helpful towards the customers and the animals

It was enjoyable to work there but unfortunately I had to end the work
Unfairly let go
Unfairly let go - I saved the shop from potential closure- I put my life on hold to save the shop in west Ealing I was a key volunteer and every manager assistant manager volunteers and family friends and customers all said I was being taken advantage off because of my kind disposition- I became assistant manager and 4 months later when I neede there help was good bye and thanks
Brilliant Experience
It's volunteering, but the management and other volunteers are lovely. A very relaxed and friendly environment. It IS retail, so unpleasant customers are a possibility, but it's much nicer to deal with them here than it is in other retail jobs.
Calm, Casual, Customer service
Very fun work environment, i learnt alot from the people i worked with and did so many different things, like tagging, shelf display, re stocking, customer service, cleaning and many other things. great first place to get work experience.
Fab place
Fab place to work, lovely staff and managers and for such a good cause too, so many animals would suffer needlessly if it wasn’t for pdsa and owners would end up losing their pets love it, win win
Productive and fun workplace
I worked on display's at the store front and in the store i organised shelf's and clothing racks. I really liked my co workers they made it fun and enjoyable. The Hardest part of the job was the sorting of all the donated clothes having to sort them and steam them to make sure there good to sell to customers. The most fun part of the job was talking with customers and helping them look for what ever they were looking for around the store. I learned about to be good at customer service and i really enjoy it and would like it to be my full time job.
faced paced environment
the job was rewarding to be able to help people and their pets. There was a large team, that worked well together to be able to provide the service we did.
Pros
good working hours
Cons
could be stressful
I love working here but it's time for a change.
I volunteer in the pdsa charity shop so I don't get paid. But I love the job that I do.... The people I work with are great to get on with, they are like my second family I get on with them that well and I love meeting new people that come inti the shop.