PDSA Employee Reviews

Nice work environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear17 January 2018
I worked on weekends as a volunteer when I was fourteen,
I really struggled to fit in and felt like a problem more than someone who was helping most of the time but all the other volunteers were lovely and the staff were very supportive and often offered me help if iIwas struggling. the best part about working there was definitely when you had nice customers it would always be nice to see the ones that came in often.
Micro Management from the Regional Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London4 January 2018
This job was very difficult having previously worked for a similar Charity in New Zealand i found the PDSA to be micro managed by the Regional Manager and not enough attention paid to the Manager on the shop floor.
A typical day was ensuring all paperwork was up to date (of which there was far to much) making sure that the shop was well stocked with up to date stock. Receiving donated goods in and making sur all sorted and ready to be displayed in store.
I believe the culture of the job went hand in hand with hardest paet of the job which was not having the ability to run the shop in relation to the area it was in.
The most enjoyable part was the fact that the people i worked with all had the same frame of mid that we cared about the welfare and care of Animals
Pros
The job was satisfying in as much as Animals have no voice and we provided one for them
Cons
Micro Management of the worst kind
develops confidence
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Peterlee3 January 2018
i gained the most experience while working for the PDSA. My confidence was improved and I made loads of friends. I learnt how to handle money and how to work in a fast paced environment. I developed teamwork skills
workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol29 December 2017
Paperwork easy
Heavy lifting
Keeping stock sorted and rotated

Management not friendly and makes you feel undervalued
If your a good Manager you should work just as equally as the others
I have learned that having worked there it does not matter how many hard working years you put into the company you have No words of thanks or recognition that you even existed when you need to leave i e because of health etc.... you are not given a card or even had a Goodbye said to you by Higher Management
Disgusting !!!!!!!
Pros
If you live local
Cons
Bargains
really nice staff
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Peterlee27 December 2017
great place to work and learn, i was trusted to become part of the team and after a few weeks was even trusted to do cash handling and customer service.
Work at pdsa boscombe
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boscombe, Dorset18 December 2017
I started working pdsa in boscombe on November 28 2016 the first day was trying i learn so much one my frist day . Every member of suff are so much fun we can have big laugh and we all get along with each other. The manager anna is so kind and friendly and the dep manger saffron was the kind and friendly and working there helps me so much with my mental health and i have meet friends working there
Pros
Everyone working there is kind and friendly
productive
Veterinary Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London10 December 2017
working at the pdsa, is challenging and fulfilling, every day is a busy day and also very rewarding. the love and care for animals is our only goal. we simply help clients who are in need of our veterinary services providing full veterinary treatment with only a contribution from clients
Bullying senior management
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  UK7 December 2017
A great cause but nobody likes the way they are treated - phones4u management style but with mininum wage and volunteers.
Lots of personality battles and contradicting instructions.
Everyone I knew were secretly looking for new jobs.
Pros
Competitive salary for sector
Cons
Bullying, long hours (can be 7 days a week) - Poor Culture
The best place I've ever worked
Veterinary Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London30 November 2017
I not only love the work of the charity but I feel safe and secure and cared about as an employee at the PDSA. It's super organised in terms of management with a great virtual HR system that makes it so simple to calculate holiday etc. Everyone is friendly and have good hearts. we're big on customer service and understsnding people's needs. They're hot on sticking to work place and data protection laws and regulations. They really care about their reputation as a charity and there's a good team spirit,. It's hard work but rewarding and the pay is not bad. I'm not going to get rich here but it's better than some other places. It's clear they are careful when hiring staff as everyone js really dedicated and passionate about their job and forwarding the mission of the charity. I've had so much to learn but everyone has been so patient. Most of the staff have been here years so that's a very good sign. I can see myself staying here very long term.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Evenings and Saturday might be on the rota for some.
Pdsas
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Waltham Cross26 November 2017
Helping out and getting every thank out and make Tea Coffee and everyone and downing lots jobs work they for years and I left and on from the next what ease do you what to know
Fun place to work
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bognor Regis26 November 2017
This is a fun place to work and I enjoyed meeting new people and having new experiences and gaining more knowledge in the job that I was doing. I enjoyed my job
Pros
Good hours
Fun, Entertaining, Interesting
volunteer work (Current Employee) –  Aldershot25 November 2017
Working with a group of fun loving and entertaining characters can make the work days feel like nothing, going here everyday is a breath of fresh air.
Pros
Great Customers
Cons
Dirty Belongings
Cluttered and Disorganised
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Scotland19 November 2017
Working for the PDSA was not great. The shop floor was cluttered and I found it very difficult to help customers find what they were looking for as there was no order to anything.
Pros
Long Breaks
Cons
Disorganised
Nice to Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leigh16 November 2017
It's always nice to give something back to the world by doing charity/volunteer work. Positive work environment, easy job, friendly staff, laid back place.
Poor standard of care
Locum vet nurse (Former Employee) –  PDSA Croydon13 November 2017
I was shocked at the lack of compassion and attitude from staff at Croydon. I understand as a charity you have limited funds but I was appalled working here. Poor hygiene in theatre. Poor standard of care. My concern for patients welfare was dismissed. Poor client relations and communication. Senior staff intentionally rude to certain clients. No empathy for patients. Unqualified staff caring for animals and compromising their welfare. "Breed" assessments based on senior vets like or dislike of client and previous pets registered. Staff members spending more time talking behind each other's backs than trying to communicate with each other, solve issues and create a nice working environment.
Good for Volunteering
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands6 November 2017
I have been doing voluntary since the start of September. You get to meet other volunteers and your shop manager/assistant manager and get to do a variety of roles. And definitely something to add to your CV as its experience and you learn new things.
Pros
Work anytime you want
Cons
Rewarding but shaky staff culture
Medical Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, UK3 November 2017
To be a part of a successful national charity is rewarding with each day offering new challenges. As a receptionist in a non-clinical role, you still truly feel like your contribution really matters to the treatment and outcome of patients.

Immediate first line management for receptionists is very strong and supportive with an excellent Client Services Manager.
Health and Safety is also well adhered to.

The major downside is a clique staff culture arising from some long-term employees - if your face doesnt fit despite your efforts and strong capabilities, you will be bullied and hen pecked.

Some great decent people also work at this hospital.
Pros
Rewarding
Cons
Work cliques
Productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ballymena, County Antrim3 November 2017
Volunteering at the PDSA was great experience as I was given the chance to learn how to use a till and to help the customers. I was also working upstairs to clean the clothes and tagging the prices to them to bring them downstairs for stock replenishment.
Pros
It provided work experience to learn how the average retail shop works
Cons
Hard to find something to do on slow days as it was a small shop
Fun environment and around hard working individuals.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City31 October 2017
I loved working there as the management team were so helpful and the other volunteers were a laugh, the work ethic was amazing and I miss that environment.
Pros
Kind staff
Cons
A lot of people working at the same time and hardly much tasks to do.
diverse work place
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bishop Auckland30 October 2017
When I was completing voluntary work at the PDSA, there was never a quiet moment - deliveries and stock meant you always had something to keep you busy and help the day flow by.