Patisserie Valerie Employee Reviews

Don't work here!!!
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 September 2018
This is a terrible place to work. Management are bullies and discriminate against alot of people, being transgender it has been especially tough. They also don't care about the needs of their staff at all! They expect you to bend over backwards performing menial tasks and offer no thanks or encouragement. If they don't like you they try to find a way of pushing you out the door.
Pros
Free cake
An enjoyable experience
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Colchester16 September 2018
I really liked working at pat val. There was a lot of friendly staff and the work was manageable, I had a lot of fun working there and gained a lot of experience. My shifts were always good and the pay was very good as well.
Pros
good pay
Cons
management
Fun work - awful manager
FOH Staff (Former Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire16 September 2018
Lovely team of staff when we have any, free food on breaks. Keep your own tips.

Terribly understaffed due to terrible management driving at least 13 staff away in the 4ish months they've been there. Always asked to stay later or work more days (16 hour contract often upped to 30+ hours a week). No respect for the managers as they never put in any effort when they can see staff struggling. Only managers of any help have been the cover managers from other stores (Lancaster, Warrington and Cheshire Oaks who know how to do their jobs). FoH staff constantly accused of being lazy and not working hard enough which is ironic considering the manager saying it is never there or when they are they sit at the table and watch the chaos unfold offering no help. Customers constantly complaining about slow service on coffees which is wholly due to lack of training and help from managers.

Would not recommend. This job could have been so much more rewarding and fun but unfortunately the management did not help to create this environment. Higher management don't care, will talk to mangers about issues which we will get blamed for. Many staff have quit with no notice as it's so bad.
Pros
Keep all your own tips, free food, leaving.
Cons
Overworked, undervalued, unwanted advancements from staff disregarded as banter, never leave the store on time as managers often go for a smoke instead of cashing you off.
Avoid Like the plague
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Where ever there was a lack of management11 September 2018
Worked for this company for 5 years - the last three without a pay rise even though everyone else in the store had one?!?!? Hardly any support and if you did get any it was only for the benefit of the top bosses. Had to cancel holidays due to not enough manager cover in the region!!!

If you want holiday don't work for this company. If you want to achieve something, don't work for this company. If you like your days off without them being interrupted by stupid emails/texts, you guessed it, don't work for this company. Some might say you get out what you put in, I say that's a load of bull!!!

I totally agree with all the 1 star reviews regarding this company.
Pros
Made some good friends
Cons
The company, upper management, only worried about labour costs, don't care enough about the people that run stores or work in them
Stress stress and more stress
Chef (Former Employee) –  Worcester6 September 2018
I worked for Patisserie Valerie for a year.
It is by FAR the worst company I have and will ever work for. The company couldn't care less about it's employees, sticking one chef on at a time to cook for a full restaurant - which could be manageable if it wasn't for the fact the chef has to pot wash everything AND stick to a ridiculous time limit. They couldn't care less about food quality, it's mostly microwaved garbage pretending to be fancy. I was truely shocked and embarrassed that people paid money for it. This job is the epitome of a ping chef. You will be made to cover for other stores constantly, as they never seem to have enough staff for anything. Area managers will swan in occasionally pretending to work but will just go for a 2 hour long cigarette break. The majority of staff in the other stores are bitter and rude and will make your day miserable. I could go on, but the general consensus is that you are overworked and underpaid. The chef that worked the other days was also a ball of stress. The only positive I can take from this job is it makes any other kitchen work a piece of cake in comparison.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, stress
Would not recommend, awful management
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool City Centre, Merseyside3 September 2018
I cannot speak for all the restaurants - however I assume there are similar problems throughout this company.

My main problem with Patisserie Valerie (Debenhams, Liverpool) was the disorganisation amongst the managerial staff at all levels throughout the company. From the store managers, to the regional managers and everyone in between.

There was/is certainly a lack of care when it comes to the staff, regarding serious issues which should be at the top of their priority list. These issues regarded not dealing with unpaid holiday payments which were/are owed, amongst the staff.

It goes without saying that paying staff what they are owed should be dealt with seriously, proficiently and most importantly, in a time sensitive manner. There also certainly seems to be a lack of training, since these issues arose due to management not being aware of how the system worked in the first place.

Patisserie Valerie is a company which is extremely over priced for what it is. It really cannot afford to be mistreating its staff.
Pros
The staff were lovely, which helped create a good working environment.
Cons
Poor management and lack of care for staff members
Hard work
Kitchen Chef (Current Employee) –  Turnham Green Station2 September 2018
Setting of the kitchen, cooking and preparing foods, keep the hygiene in the environment, receptions of the goods
I've multi tasking, organisation, work fast and consistency in delivery under a high pressured environment
the close out was the hardest part as it was necessary to keep it clean and ready for the next day
the mostre enjoyable part was the feedback of the client, very happy of the service and the food
Waitress
Waitress and Barista (Former Employee) –  Cambridge27 August 2018
Enjoyable job. Great tips.
Meet lots of different customers from all over the world. Also get a staff meal which was very yummy!!
The money was ok too.
Workplace
July. Kitchen Hand/Waiter. (Former Employee) –  London9 August 2018
It was enjoyable. I like this line of work i would do this again. i am interested in any line of work, i will do any kind of work given and i am a hard worker
Bad Management
Waiting Staff (Current Employee) –  Chester30 July 2018
New manager started working at Chester branch, along with new management higher up in the company. No training given, seems not to care about current staff. Driven at least 6 members of staff away with his arrogance and utter laziness (sitting on backside in the office doing absolutely nothing, then complaining about how busy it's been? Really?), yet higher management have not questioned why, or asked any of the remaining staff if they know why. I used to thoroughly enjoy coming to work - definitely do not any more.
Pros
Free food on shift
Cons
Poor management, often overworked staff
Great job, Poor Management
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Chester24 July 2018
When I first started here I loved this job. I worked with a great team who helped each other out and were a big family. This made the job enjoyable and manageable. However due to new staff coming to the store, the company has struggled. Many of the old staff have left due to poor treatment.
A mixed bag
Head Chef/Kitchen Manager (Current Employee) –  Birmingham22 July 2018
Decent people on shop floor.
The guys who hide behind the emails & make the “decisions” are awful & have absolutely no idea on what or why they’re doing things.
fun and work with polite teammates
helper in Restaurant (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth18 July 2018
im enjoy my job when i can do what i want and have freedom about my job. i like creative ideas.and polite jobmates
I prefer teamwork and help when i can.
Amazing staff
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 July 2018
Amazing staff at store level, but higher management haven't got a clue what they are doing or haven't got a clue how a store is run. They constantly abuse the system and abuse company money.
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Awful higher management
good place to work
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Nottingham27 June 2018
I worked in the Nottingham branch as duty manager for a year and half it was good, the staff were friendly and the customers were nice. would deffo work at another one if it was closer to home
Pros
free lunch
Cons
6.30 am starts
chef
Chef De Partie (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside17 June 2018
was ok to work there, chaffing wasn't really for me which is why i switched to labouring, management was bit unorganised, was an easy enough job though
Pros
free food
Cons
working unsociable hours
terrible
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  edinbrugh17 June 2018
Terrible company to work for, they are not interested int their employees and i would not advise anyone to work for them. I would never work for them again
Productive place
Waiter (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire9 June 2018
i learned a lot in patisserie valerie, the typical day was 6-7 hours of work every waiters was divided by section. The old management was pacefull with everybody
Productive and caring
Barista (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh north bridge5 June 2018
I don’t have much to say about the Marroit, but the staff were very helpful and considerate. I done a small amount of work experience there. I learned how to make a great standard off coffee
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not many
Productive workplace
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire31 May 2018
Good place to work always busy challenging job role always something new to learn on a daily basis Good menu selection on offer in terms of food and drink.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Demanding role need to be fit

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patisserie Valerie. Our community is ready to answer.