Patisserie Valerie Employee Reviews

Losing good people for no reasons
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sheffield4 January 2019
I am so unhappy leaving the company, for me this job meant my career plan my dreams my touths my work and a part of my personality , all my spare time and friends.. i would do anything for my team which we hardly built up so strong ... i had to leave to get others better salaries .. what a shame
Pros
not much
Cons
not paying salary for the worked hours, not paying holidat, not treating people fair, no bonuses ever paid, not being fair to people
Worst job I've ever had
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh21 November 2018
I would give the management a minus score if it was possible. Unfriendly staff, aggressive managers, poor pay and tips and unreasonable duties such as cleaning toilets and not getting paid past closing time if there were still tasks to be carried out. Overall an unpleasant experience I worked there for only two months, I worked six days a week which was so tiring, the free food provided is awful as are the cakes. Do not work here there are much better chains out there who actually value there staff.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, aggressive managers, tips being taken off you
Good work bad manager
Catering Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Staffordshire5 November 2018
In the few months I worked at Patisserie Valerie I found that the staff I worked with were lovely and very easy to get along with. The manager got stressed easily and would grab, push and pull me and other staff to stop you from completing your task and to go onto the shop floor to collect trays. I was never properly trained in making drinks or serving food so all I could do was cleaning and collecting trays. At the end of the day if I was sweeping and mopping the shop floor I often felt pressured to get it done as quickly as possible.
Hours were good but pay was poor I had to leave to find a better paying job and a fairer manager
Pros
Free cake, long lunch break, generous with time off
Cons
Pushed and pulled by manager, low pay
Don't work here!!!
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester28 September 2018
This is a terrible place to work. Management are bullies and discriminate against alot of people, being transgender it has been especially tough. They also don't care about the needs of their staff at all! They expect you to bend over backwards performing menial tasks and offer no thanks or encouragement. If they don't like you they try to find a way of pushing you out the door.
Pros
Free cake
Duty manager
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow20 September 2018
During my time at Patisserie Valerie I was a full time Duty Manager. It was my job to open the store 4 days per week and closed the store 3 days per week with one additional weekend open or close. I would write a shift plan for all staff to follow, make amendments to deliveries coming to and leaving the store. I would process cake orders for customers online as well as do the cashing up of every individual staff member and all the End of day takings and emails and the general upkeep of the store, I did all this with very little support from Management, The Management team was a shambles and very cliquey. The staff turnover is horrendous again it is all due to lack of support and training which. is a shame.
Pros
50p bonus, Free Cakes. tips
Cons
long hours, no support or training, no progression
Avoid Like the plague
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Where ever there was a lack of management11 September 2018
Worked for this company for 5 years - the last three without a pay rise even though everyone else in the store had one?!?!? Hardly any support and if you did get any it was only for the benefit of the top bosses. Had to cancel holidays due to not enough manager cover in the region!!!

If you want holiday don't work for this company. If you want to achieve something, don't work for this company. If you like your days off without them being interrupted by stupid emails/texts, you guessed it, don't work for this company. Some might say you get out what you put in, I say that's a load of bull!!!

I totally agree with all the 1 star reviews regarding this company.
Pros
Made some good friends
Cons
The company, upper management, only worried about labour costs, don't care enough about the people that run stores or work in them
Hard work
Kitchen Chef (Current Employee) –  Turnham Green Station2 September 2018
Setting of the kitchen, cooking and preparing foods, keep the hygiene in the environment, receptions of the goods
I've multi tasking, organisation, work fast and consistency in delivery under a high pressured environment
the close out was the hardest part as it was necessary to keep it clean and ready for the next day
the mostre enjoyable part was the feedback of the client, very happy of the service and the food
Fast paced enviroment
Catering Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby22 January 2019
Excellent customer service skills.
Experience of working in a group, and being able to work efficiently when alone.
Confident and presentable.
Good communication skills with colleagues and customers.
Experience of cash handling and budgeting.
Pros
Tips
Cons
1 hour bus ride away
One word Avoid!!!
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 November 2018
Training rushed, tight labour no social or team building, communication between kitchen and front of house is poor. Working conditions terrible. Avoid
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Work life balance, Labour, Staff turnover, Store Hygiene, Unethical work practice, flies on cakes, Poor training.
Bad Management
Waiting Staff (Current Employee) –  Chester30 July 2018
New manager started working at Chester branch, along with new management higher up in the company. No training given, seems not to care about current staff. Driven at least 6 members of staff away with his arrogance and utter laziness (sitting on backside in the office doing absolutely nothing, then complaining about how busy it's been? Really?), yet higher management have not questioned why, or asked any of the remaining staff if they know why. I used to thoroughly enjoy coming to work - definitely do not any more.
Pros
Free food on shift
Cons
Poor management, often overworked staff
Fun working environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester5 January 2019
It was an enjoyable atmosphere to work in with some amazing people. I helped to run the store day to day, but shortly after starting there my hours became longer and affected my work/life balance.
Pros
Good staff
Cons
Shambles of a company to work for
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow9 November 2018
Can't give staff the hours they were contracted to. On a 40 hour contract and currently getting 9 hours.
Was short on wages by a large margin. Place is an over diabolical company
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Everythknf else
An enjoyable experience
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Colchester16 September 2018
I really liked working at pat val. There was a lot of friendly staff and the work was manageable, I had a lot of fun working there and gained a lot of experience. My shifts were always good and the pay was very good as well.
Pros
good pay
Cons
management
Great Company to work for
duty manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh23 October 2018
Lots of possibilities for progression
great work culture
friendly staff and customers
hard work but rewarding
good tips
great cakes
ok training, learn more on the job than official training
Pros
Free lunches
Great job, Poor Management
Front of House Staff (Current Employee) –  Chester24 July 2018
When I first started here I loved this job. I worked with a great team who helped each other out and were a big family. This made the job enjoyable and manageable. However due to new staff coming to the store, the company has struggled. Many of the old staff have left due to poor treatment.
Bad management
Chef (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire30 May 2018
I worked here for 5 months and it was ok for the work life balance and free lunches and that's where the pros end.
The kitchen manager takes every bank holiday and children's holidays off even though the manager has no children.
Complete lack of communication regarding bookings and in general.
Management skills are really bad in this place and you'll find management are bad for being very two faced.
They'll guarantee you hours and then cut them right down.
Because of labour cuts you'll find yourself on your own a lot.

AVOID!!!!!!!
Pros
Free lunch/work life balance
Delicious pastries
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, UK9 December 2018
First workplace in UK. Worked with friendly colleagues and managers. The location was amazing,is in the heart of London. Staff food provided from the menu, can't complain.
Amazing staff
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester17 July 2018
Amazing staff at store level, but higher management haven't got a clue what they are doing or haven't got a clue how a store is run. They constantly abuse the system and abuse company money.
Pros
Meeting great people
Cons
Awful higher management
A nice place to work with a good pension scheme
Counter Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wigan23 April 2018
The different people you meet and the variation of work and people of interest on a daily basis.

Holiday and work system is flexible.

working conditions always clean and varied with regards to the amount of work that needs to be done over the course of a working day
Pros
flexible systesm for working hours and holiday pay
Stress stress and more stress
Chef (Former Employee) –  Worcester6 September 2018
I worked for Patisserie Valerie for a year.
It is by FAR the worst company I have and will ever work for. The company couldn't care less about it's employees, sticking one chef on at a time to cook for a full restaurant - which could be manageable if it wasn't for the fact the chef has to pot wash everything AND stick to a ridiculous time limit. They couldn't care less about food quality, it's mostly microwaved garbage pretending to be fancy. I was truely shocked and embarrassed that people paid money for it. This job is the epitome of a ping chef. You will be made to cover for other stores constantly, as they never seem to have enough staff for anything. Area managers will swan in occasionally pretending to work but will just go for a 2 hour long cigarette break. The majority of staff in the other stores are bitter and rude and will make your day miserable. I could go on, but the general consensus is that you are overworked and underpaid. The chef that worked the other days was also a ball of stress. The only positive I can take from this job is it makes any other kitchen work a piece of cake in comparison.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patisserie Valerie. Our community is ready to answer.