Patisserie Valerie Employee Reviews

Store manager
Manager (Former Employee) –  Winchester, Hampshire1 April 2018
No training. Very bad salary. Had to work 7days a week 12 hours a day and got paid for 40 hours a week... very low labour cost was given... no support
Cons
Work for free
Love my Job!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire18 March 2018
I have worked for the company 6 years now. I started as a waitress and have worked my way through the ranks. I have enjoyed every minute. Strong friendly staff and great team to work along side. If you work hard you will get places. Seen many co-workers progress and achieve within the company. Average pay (national minimum wage) as a waitress + tips which on average I used to receive £20 or so a day which isn’t bad. Duty managers on above minimum wage and senior management on salary. Contracted hours and 5 weeks holiday per year. Company will provide training with in house training by management. Uniform provided, aswell as free lunch, company discount card. I don’t have a bad work to say about them. I have worked across a few stores within my area and find all the teams very friendly and hard working
Pros
Company discount card
Cons
Some stores in need of maintenance
Challenging Place to work
Head Waiter (Former Employee) –  London17 March 2018
Great colleagues, and exciting to work as one could meet people from all over the world, but upper management neglects staff and does not provide good working conditions and training, very high staff turnover, which made working even more difficult.
Pros
Meeting customers from all over the world
Cons
Lack of good working conditions, Upper Management Careless
Friendly workplace
Barista/Waitress (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 March 2018
Very flexible and friendly management.
The company offers a wide range of positions and chances to proceed in your career. High flexibility for working days and hours.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
lack of staff covers shift often required
Simple Products, Difficult Store
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff28 February 2018
Everyone knows the cakes and the delicious afternoon tea set- but the store was so tiny you only had one counter top to prepare everything on. This would then lead to huge delays in getting the order to the customer- which of course then leads to complaints.
Pros
Free lunches and cakes
Great
Supervisor/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 February 2018
I was in charge of a team of 14 when I ran the shift, meaning that I had many duties inc, cash handling and daily banking, stock order and rotation, this position has given me skills and knowledge that I can use in my new career as a barber
Productive workplace with good teamwork
Barista (Current Employee) –  Essex15 February 2018
Good team with extra hours available if needed. Learned useful skills that I can use in future careers. Benefits of holiday pay and flexibility with time off.
Pros
Free lunches
Good workpkace
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham10 February 2018
Sign in in the morning grab my pick sheets get my cage start picking then after I stopped pickein I then had to unload my cage to the locations were they to go the delivery drivers then get another pick sheet and do the same again then unload vans with cake trays then stack them then push crates to the freezer also had to clean warehouse floors.toilets.eating area
Pros
One
Cons
Overtime
Terrible
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Camberley, Surrey1 February 2018
High expectations long hours no support only care about sales no care for staff always told off for everything even though not trained properly threatened to be sacked constantly
Pros
Free food on duty
Cons
Area management
Little reward
WAITRESS AND BARISTA (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire26 January 2018
I am unsure if this is the same in every store, but I found working for Patisserie Valerie was not the best. We were always understaffed making shifts very hectic if it did become busy, and meant customer services dipped and tables had to be turned away. The staff who do work there are exceptional for putting up with the restraints they face from the company.
Fun but hard work
Waitress/Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City25 January 2018
Typical day at Valeries was very busy from start to finish, due to location and availability of hours meaning we were often short staffed. I learned a lot of new skills in this role including being barista trained and better time management as we had large sections to cover so there was always a lot to remember and time constraints to each task per table to manage.
Hardest part of the job was closing the restaurant you would often be the only member of floor staff working so would have to host, serve, make drinks and deliver food whilst keeping an eye on the door and the takeaway counter and every table that may be in the restaurant that evening. This was a challenge as the restaurant is large and you cannot see all areas at all times and some evenings were uncharacteristically busy. The cleaning and close down needs to be down at the same time as serving to be able to finish on time at 11pm closing time. You couldn't leave until all cleaning was done and this included cleaning toilets, sweeping and mopping floors which was very hard after an already tiring shift.
Most enjoyable part was the team members, everyone is friendly and social which made shifts easier however everyone was operating at different levels of service which made it hard to maintain a standard across the restaurant, I felt like i was often cleaning up other peoples sections to be able to get back to my tasks or to be able to welcome new diners. This made it hard for me to do my job as others were not doing theirs.
Pros
Free Lunches
stressful
Deputy Store manager (Former Employee) –  edinburgh17 January 2018
Completely unorganized. Management didn't treat staff fairly or with respect. Busy and always short staffed. Always having to do over time or stay hours after shift finished. Under paid many times. Overtime unpaid.
Laughable
Back of House (Current Employee) –  Southport9 January 2018
Applied for a full time job, but they cut my contract to less than half of the hours I started off with. But what's worse is that they will make cuts to my hours with next to no notice, so I'm not even getting the hours I'm contracted! Even if I do make it into work, they usually end my shift early anyway. It doesn't help that our management is poor and we're always either overstaffed with nothing to do, or understaffed and overwhelmed.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No guaranteed hours, Inconsistent hours, shifts are cancelled with almost no notice, poor management
Not worth it, in the end.
Waitress (Current Employee) –  London20 December 2017
I don't recommend this job I worked there as a waitress for a almost half year and in the end it wasn't worth it.
First of they don't guarantee hours, so it's not like you are going to work 35 h, weekly sometimes it's more sometimes it's less. They cut of my hours and they didn't tell me before.
The salary is minimum and you offer a lot, like your weekends, evenings and just over all your energy. As a waitress a lot of energy goes to apologizing: for cakes that we don't have, drinks that came late, things that are missing, for waiting so long, etc. So you need to have a thick skin.
You will be representing the company so even if it's not your fault you will have to keep on a good face. Service is not included and the amount you get will a lot of times counts on how nice you are and how your colleges work.
I have to work through Christmas, which I didn't get off, even if I asked with 2 months in advance. There is not going to be any Christmas party or even a "Thank you" card from the company.
How ever you will probably meet some great people working there and you will get to eat great cake. But as I wrote. With no weekends of and working holidays you get disconnected with the rest of the world a bit. And not enough money to actually enjoy your life.
Any how good luck!
Pros
Colleges, cake, free food
Cons
Pay, holidays, weekends
bad place to work because very bad management
Chef (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke, Hampshire1 December 2017
i was enjoying my job and i just left coz the mangers very very bad and they have no skills to be mangers not organised shifts they never solve problem and they dont value the work which done and finally the the assistant manger said to me rude words . i am shoked
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours and over times and late breek
Horrific
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Chippenham, Wiltshire22 November 2017
Management is absolutely horrendous! I never got trained so to a certain extent had no idea what I was doing, I'd get shouted at for doing something wrong. I used my initiative to try and do my best but my best wasn't not good enough. The communication was bad I never got told what shifts where changed and when, as I couldn't always get there and they said they would let me know when it changed!
Pros
Discount
Clicky clicky
Waiter\waitress (Former Employee) –  Everywhere16 November 2017
The worst company you can ever work for it all about money money money , management don't know what there doing and they are bullies with no experience what's so ever....... ( the company never do background checks) or check references.
And I really don't know how this company hires there management my opinion is as long as you have a big B§§S or you can bulls§§t your way you in you are hired . And as the area managers are usless and don't like to hire someone with experience or people who will genuinely care a about the business they hire people who don't have clue how to run a business or train there staff so they can look better . You will never see your area manager or regional manager EVER but they can find a way to play games with general manager \manageress if you see what I mean ;) even if its no permitted ;)
Message to the owner regional manager area Manger talk to your waiters \barista and lower staff they are the driving force as they are in the front like NoT you managers who go for a break every 20 min .
Pros
No split shifts
Cons
All the above
Disgusting
Chef/microwave technition. (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire16 November 2017
Cross contamination means nothing to the "microwave technitions" in this place.complete lack of food hygiene from both front and back of house. Management were complete air heads with no organization, experiance or control. Racism and complete lack of respect for others. Appalling!
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Everything else
nice place for start to work
Waitress and Barista (Current Employee) –  London8 November 2017
Patisserie Valerie is a good place where starting to work in England if you are new here.
If you have to pay a rent and a travel card is enought for first months but not for long time becouse the payment is minimum and you will do few hours, so you need about another job for live your life in London.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
few hours
patisserie valerie
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Marble Arch Station2 November 2017
I like work with the nice people, the managers helpful, the costumers nice as well so enjoy the work. The hardest part for the job when u need to deel with the costumers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Patisserie Valerie. Our community is ready to answer.