Paperchase Employee Reviews

Fun Job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lincoln16 April 2019
Job is hard for someone who doesn't have a lot of experience but you can learn very easily on the job and the job is very enjoyable. There are hours and the people are really nice to work with.
50% discount is everything
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester4 April 2019
not an awful place to work by no means
my fellow sales advisers were amazing to work with and the management were somewhat helpful but i could help but feel like i was back at school in terms of the dynamic between the management and the rest of the staff
really boring hours where youre just standing around for half of the day when its not in peak periods (xmas, valentines, mothers day).
then when it is peak times you are expected to do a lot more work and the incentive prizes are super patronising often time being given a chocolate bar or bag of sweets for working your butt off all day
not really suitable if youre looking to advance and progress within the company
probably a suitable job for students or young adults looking for part time work

so glad to be done with it
Pros
staff discount, lovely staff
Cons
long boring hours, patronising management, weird dynamic between management and sales team, no option to progress
Lovely atmosphere but too pushy
Paperchase retail assistant (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands1 April 2019
A lovely company to work for however management are too pushy in enforcing the loyalty card scheme
if customers aren’t willing. Management appear to look as if they have high captures for the programme and sales assistants are poor at the job when in reality the store managers spend very little time on till so skew the percentage. Overall a very lovely company with lovely staff however low pay on only £6.35 for sales Assistant so is very hard to earn a good wage.
Pros
50% staff discount and small store
Cons
Low pay and pushy loyalty scheme
Lovely workplace!
Temporary Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk15 March 2019
I worked here as a temporary customer assistant over the Christmas holidays one year and it was lovely! The staff were amazing and the customers were very friendly. I would definitely want to work here again.
Pros
Lovely staff and customers, 50% all in store.
Cons
Small company, doesn’t need that many employees.
Short term part time
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  london12 March 2019
I worked there briefly before a friend informed me about the job offer from Field Fisher Waterhouse. I enjoyed the short time I spent there, it was manning the register and assisting customers only.
Enjoyed working there temporarily
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom16 February 2019
A typical day involved serving customers at the till offering the best service and knowledge to customers, whilst maintaining strong teamwork skills with colleagues. As well as this, I replenished stock and tidied displays. This role allowed me to get a feel for multi-tasking in a busy and fast paced environment. The workplace culture was generally okay, however, I gradually felt personally targeted by a couple of managers on a daily basis. They were also appalling in managing the shop floors properly and there was often not enough staff in parts of the store, which meant that the sales assistants were overworked and couldn't get set tasks done properly. Perhaps the managers should have a think about how they treat their colleagues, including customers.
Pros
50% staff discount, flexible hours
Cons
Poor management
Nice place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Sevenoaks, Kent6 February 2019
Great opportunity to work with a variety of people who can work together to make it an enjoyable experience. Building relationships with customers is also a great aspect as well as seeing a constant change of designs used throughout the products
Good for temp/part time retail work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom4 February 2019
.A good stop-gap job, good for students, those needing only part time work.

Require you to be overly flexible, perform duties outside your contract - all the while not giving out enough hours making for difficult work/life balance, very low wages for work demanded - do not pay National Living Wage.

Staff including management at store level provide a friendly, supportive environment to work in, one of the better retail jobs in that regard.
Pros
Store level staff are amazing, good to work with, good discount
Cons
Erratic hours, low pay, bullying regional management brings down morale, too much pressure on loyalty card scheme
Love it!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon4 February 2019
I’ve always loved Paperchase and have been a customer for as long as I can remember, so I was delighted when I was successful in my job application!
There’s never a dull moment and no day is the same.
I work with an amazing team of individuals who help to make work great fun!
We sell amazing product, have a great team and have a brilliant support network from store managers on the area, to our area manager (and of course our head office!)
Everyone is approachable and so easy to talk to even regarding things that could be difficult to broach.
It can involve some long hours but in comparison to a lot of other retailers they’re manageable.
Great rates of pay, discount and other benefits.
It’s great to be part of the Paperchase team!
If you get the opportunity to join, do it. You won’t regret it!
Pros
Great pay, benefits and colleagues
Cons
Hours at peak times
Fun place to work, with nice people
Seasonal Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Enfield28 January 2019
The job was fun, with nice hours although a low pay if you are under 21. A typical day would consist of serving customers, helping with processing and putting out deliveries. You will also do stock replenishment whilst keeping the stock room tidy, maintaining store standards and helping to close the store if on a late shift.
Pros
nice environment
Cons
low pay
Christmas Temp Job
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Metrocentre, Tyne and Wear17 January 2019
I worked as a Christmas temp in a busy store. The management were lovely for the most part but I had one man who didn't seem to get on with any of the staff. The shifts were okay, I don't think any of the temps worked over 4/5 hours as I don't think they wanted to give breaks, which is fine. I seem to recall they paid slightly more than minimum wage but that could be wrong. I remember when getting interviewed we were told that some people would be kept on. But out of about 15 staff only 1 person was offered a permanent role in the store. They did give us 2/3 days whilst working there to have a discount on all the items, I thought that was really god considering it was only a 3/4 month contract.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
No progression
Good first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London12 January 2019
Working in between two stores in the same area and having to cover both in one day can get quite annoying. Some really lovely staff, others not so much... Very poor management and very unorganised. The pay is terrible for what you’re doing (especially after being trained to do things that a supervisor does, but without the extra pay). Also, there is no cctv in any of the paperchases as far as I’m aware, and it’s definitely made me feel unsafe on shifts before
Pros
Nice staff, easy job, staff discount
Cons
Loads of overtime, can get boring, low pay
friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  London Heathrow Airport, Greater London28 December 2018
gained invaluable experience
easily fitted in with managers and colleagues
the most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new person daily.
would apply again .
Cons
a bit too fast paced
A Generally Poor Place to Work
Paperchase (Former Employee) –  Exeter, UK10 December 2018
Sometimes I was called in then sent home right away after the bus journey. Management sometimes shouted at me for no reason other than that they had some stress to burn. Other staff were nice. Warehouse was an apocalypse with no logical organisation beyond style of product.
Productive and fun workplace
Part Time Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamwo, West Midlands7 December 2018
Great place to work, friendly staff, workplace has a great atmosphere. Very close to home so very easy to go to and Fromm work without too much hassle
Great products and fun company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol23 November 2018
At Paperchase I Managed several busy stores, including ones in stations and a large outlet in a bookstore. Day to day running of the store including customer service and staffing issues.

The products and brand are really good so helping to promote and sell them was made easier.

I had to work both behind and in front of the counter, training new staff on the cash handling and store layout, while managing stock and visual merchandising.

As manager it was my responsibility to recruit staff, draw up rotas against a staffing budget considering peak times and working hours needed.

The overall management was good and gave good direction.

The hardest part of the job was the long hours expected to work around Christmas.
Pros
good discount on products
Productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moorgate Station5 November 2018
A good place to work. All my fellow staff were nice and helpful. The management team helped me to work efficiently. The only thing was that the salary was poor.
Good company to work for
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester16 October 2018
Great benefits with discount.
Deliveries were hard work due to our stockroom being based under the shop.
Workplace culture was great, supportive team members
Pros
hour long lunches
Cons
management needed improvement
Nice atmosphere
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 October 2018
good people and environment is nice, the area is a nice place to be in. its a hand to hand job, but everyones pitching in their own weight. Everyones unique
Not the worst place I've worked, but not great either
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater London4 October 2018
The job itself isn't bad, but managment don't treat their employees well at all and put way too much pressure on them to upsell even in locations where upselling does not work (my store was in an underground station...no one had time for that bullshit)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paperchase. Our community is ready to answer.