Paperchase Employee Reviews

A well-managed company with some good perks
Sales associate and trained to become Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fulham Broadway Station18 May 2018
Great for advancement, and to get supervisory positions on your CV. A fun environment with some incredibly cute stationary. The management are what make this job great, as they really pay attention to detail and make your job easier.
Good for Merchandising bad for working culture
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire13 May 2018
Long working days which last at least 30 mins before opening and 30 mins after (unpaid). Many days are taken up with merchandising and organising the store. Team enjoyment is encouraged but a lot of tasking takes place.

I learnt how to manage a larger team especially during very busy periods (Christmas). I learnt how to be organised and keep a team together, supporting each other when times are extremely busy.
Lovely job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth15 April 2018
Lovely management, relaxing environment,great benefits for staff e.g 50% off, Good hours ,overall extremely enjoyable environment to work in, highly recommended!!
Pros
Good pay, staff benefits
High workload but excellent working environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow12 April 2018
Great company to work for. Modern processes and head office very good at responding to feedback from stores. Can be very fast paced and the workload can be difficult but overall a great company atmosphere.

Area management tough but fair. Always willing to help with challenges and aware of the daily goings on in the store.Supportive and always have time to talk to all members of the team.
Pros
50% discount, salary review every year, training opportunities.
Cons
High workload
okay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf, Greater London30 March 2018
worked as a Christmas temp, so didnt stay long enough to be able to write an informed review. i was a student at the time i worked there, it was very demanding, was expected to be there from 4 pm till late, which wasn't convenient
Innovative and quirky
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire26 February 2018
Great place to start as a sales assistant, potential to progress through the ranks.
Fun and laid back people, mainly creative and/or have an artistic background.
Every day is different, varied customer base.
Great Colleagues and Work Environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey31 January 2018
I adore working at Paperchase. It has been the first job I have actually enjoyed and somewhere I am happy to reside day in day out. I never feel anxious and there are no pre-work "I don't want to go" thoughts.

My store manager is so very capable and is great at her job. She has amazing judgement and is helpful and considerate. My assistant manager is also one of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure of working with. My supervisors are all well trained and fair, and my fellow sales assistants (mostly people of a young age) are easy to get along with and make going to work feel like being amongst friends.

I have learnt so much about people whilst being here. I am now a better judgement on character than I used to be and can appeal to different customers in different ways after understanding how they, as an individual, work.

The culture of Paperchase is a nice thing to be part of. We always have an open door, greet clientele with a smile and reassure that we are here if you need help.
Pros
Nice people, work Christmas do, appreciated, okay starting salary
Cons
Not much room for pay raises or role promotions
Great Place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa, Warwickshire28 January 2018
Fun place to work

Team focused however will be left on shop floor

Learned a lot about customer service and the business itself.

More training and support would be appriciated

Very focused on targets but that's retail.

Loved talking to customers everyday.

Overall enjoyed my time at Paperchase!
Retail
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear26 January 2018
Paperchase is a high profile company who specialises in stylish stationery, arts and crafts, and gifts for all ages. During my time at Paperchase, I started as a seasonal Sales Assistant and worked my way up to Supervisor, where I was required to manage the shop floor independently. My responsibilities were:
• Complete deliveries promptly
• Presentation of the store
• Deliver excellent customer service
• Replenish and mechanise new stock
• Delegate jobs and tasks, ensuring all staff delivered targets and completed jobs
• Manage the shop floor and closing the shop
• Checking floats, cash handling, and end of day cashing
• Calculating daily figures
• Running reports for daily and weekly reviews to the area managers
• Minute taking on regional conference calls and liaise feedback to the store manager
• Short list candidates for job vacancies and organise and arrange recruitment
Pros
staff discount
Amazing experience
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ringwood19 January 2018
I really enjoyed working at Paperchase, it is an amazing company with a good management and work ethic. The hardest part of the job is remembering what is in and out of stock, it's such a lovely atmosphere and everyone is really helpful when you start.
Very operations focused
21 Parkfield Street, N1 0PS Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Islington25 October 2017
Job required a lot of back house work and there is considerable pressure for attaining customer loyalty targets. I was fortunate enough to have a fantastic manager and well rounded team.
Cons
Long hours and overtime
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London8 October 2017
Having worked for the company last year best parts are the customers, products sold by the company, skills learnt such as admin, audit, training and visual merchandising.
Poor decisions made by head office such as late promotions which end up meaning you stay late, work through lunch.
Supervisors pay rate is low and could do with increasing to support retention and development.
The salary is much lower in comparison to other competitors, long working hours, tasking is very heavy and even though there is a focus to be more service focused this very hard to do given the lack of payroll hours to spend.
Older stores need updating and modernising i.e. Back of house. Training is you that needs to better esp for staff and managers as you are given some then pretty much left to yourself to push it.
Pros
50 discount
managed well
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon6 October 2017
I felt like it was a good work environment however it was obviously not the right environment for a sport person like myself. also I was only working 4 hours a week which resulted only in £100 a week.
Pros
discount
Cons
short hours
This is an exciting, vibrant and brilliant place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Canary Wharf Station25 September 2017
The typical structure of the day is always interesting and fun. I learnt very much about stationery and cards as well as dealing and liaising with customers. The management at Paperchase is good, the workplace culture is very dynamic and there is much appreciate of diversity. Keeping the shop floor clean is always a challenge but is worth it. The most enjoyable part of the job is working alongside approachable people and serving customers.
Pros
Discount on items
Cons
Shift pattern
Alright job, neither bad nor great.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire17 August 2017
Working for paperchase was interesting, I did all kinds of jobs there, but none of them were hard or anything, the warehouse is quite chill and fun to work at.
Pros
10 minute break if temperature in warehouse gets too high.
Cons
Dusty, dirty items.
Fast Paced and enjoyable
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, Lincolnshire10 July 2017
Retail is always interesting. And now I am In a position where I can lead, which I believe is what I am strong at, it is more enjoyable. I enjoy delivery days as that is when I am the most busiest and it is always good to see the new stock. Engaging with the customers is always good as you learn about the individuals and when they come in again it is always smiles. I'm lucky enough to have worked my way up quickly, and I have taken the opportunities which has been in front of me.
Pros
Staff Discout, Great atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, sometimes 6 day or 7 day week.
Fast moving & fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 July 2017
Amazing workplace, organised and well managed with every team member aware of what was going on and what needed to be done. Everybody worked together well and cooperated.
A fun set of colleagues
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester6 July 2017
A normal shift is 10-7 the people i work with are fun and make the hours there more enjoyable. however they do not include full time contracts so they have a bank of people wanting over time when or as they need them
Best workplace ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton5 July 2017
Amazing people to work with! Amazing managers, apart from two. Everyone is amazing, and the job was so pleasant. Fast pace workflow, a lot of chatting with clients which was quite hard at first, but then you get used to it.
Potentially rewarding job made difficult due to unnecessary paperwork and little appreciation for a job well done
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  UK27 June 2017
Job is not difficult, and actually quite pleasant. But with the never ending stream of paperwork, auditing, printing and analysing reports, it's more complicated and time consuming than it needs to be. Stores would be a lot more profitable if processes were simplified. Felt like I had to train myself after the initial 2 weeks of training, which you don't really have time to do. Had to work numerous 6 day work weeks to complete reports that were either asked for last minute or didn't have office to complete due to the workload on the sales floor. If stores were funded a few more hours, it would take some of the pressure and workload off of management.
Pros
Nicely designed products, Good working hours. Able to dress comfortably for work
Cons
Excessive paperwork, no comradery within the leadership team, no praise for great performance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Paperchase. Our community is ready to answer.