P&O Ferries Employee Reviews

Good if you live in troon
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Troon27 November 2019
Good company hours were only three to six hours a day loved the job but the traveling from kilmarnock was a bit much as it was only seasonal. Never made enough to live on good professional and colleagues were friendly and helpful.
A truly great company
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  Felixstowe10 November 2019
Working on their ferry serivce was busy working on the bridge to radio office and ships electronics. Still used morse code to communicate from ship to shore. Live on-board for 2 weeks then 2 weeks paid leave. Excellent salary just a shame the route ended thus my job did too
Poor management
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dover, Kent7 November 2019
What I was told at interview never happened and was even denied, my coworkers who do exact same job are paid 35% more, overtime rate for me is basic while full time staff get time and a half. I applied for a different job within the company, to give me a full time contract but was denied to keep me from getting time and a half pay on overtime. Management will not make a decision on any issues, really bad company to work for
Very busy and energetic
Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Dover30 October 2019
Working for a ferry company gave me the chance to work at sea. I learned many different duties on-board such as working in the bar areas, in the restaurant, the cafeteria, or in the on-board shops. It has broadened my horizons to be able to work in different departments.
Poorly run company with no loyalty to staff, underpaid
Allocator (Former Employee) –  Dover2 July 2019
In 4.5 years, I experienced 3 restructures and redundancies around me. Whilst I was jot affected, I saw the callous way the staff were treated and just told to leave with no notice (that includes management). They employ too highly paid consultants, being paid in some cases £2000 a day when the company could not afford payrises or bonus share.
Currently they leaked a major redundancy to a supplier and only told the staff of the news when the supplier told the staff!
Very unprofessional company - marketing director stood talking about redundancies with his shirt hanging out of his flies, and consultant stirred her coffee with her comb.
No loyalty whatsoever to staff, however long you've been employed.
Pay was 'reasonable' at the time, however having worked elsewhere you realise it's low for the roles undertaken.
Great experience of roles however.
Pros
Experience gained
Cons
Unprofessional, disloyal and undervalued
Reach Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Dover8 March 2019
Been at P&O since 2003 but now getting made redundant due to the warehouse closing down
I’m a hard worker
Good team leader
Good team player
Can drive a reach truck
Counter balance
Pros
Good hours
Cons
No overtime
P&o
Steward (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent28 February 2019
Is a good place to work once you have been there for a while in the same ship you feel part of family as you spend so much time together the shifts are long some short if you are lucky but with all the other benefits 4 weeks off a year plus free travel and discounts and bonuses is a very good employer as what they do for you but once you get a sickness all incorporated into one sickness then things soon change
Pros
Free meals bonuses etc
Great training and employment
Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent30 January 2019
The organisation was proud on its training and implemented a great apprenticeship course that led to a job role within the organisation.

They took pride in their students and valued their commitment
Enjoyable and learnt a lot
Petty (Current Employee) –  Dover18 January 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with P&O, I learnt many skills and met some amazing people throughout my time with the company. the pay was competitive and I enjoyed working as a team. I will miss working here
Pros
Competitive pay, good time off
Cons
Night shifts
Horrible Management
Steward (Current Employee) –  Dover, Kent17 January 2019
Live on board positions are great due to the time off and the wages are quite good and tax free. However the company has no clue what goes on on board and managers do as little as possible and treat their staff terribly. Cam only recommend if you are tough and can teach yourself not to care. Hours are very long, not much sleep.
Pros
Time off
Cons
Upper management
Its challenging and exciting work.
Steward (Former Employee) –  Uk, England6 January 2019
We all know or aware that working away from your family is not easy, its a tough job, especially if the nature of your wok is a bit risky, like working on the ship. I would say working on in the ship, is exciting and challenging, challenging in the sense that safety is primary important, exciting coz u meet a lot of different nationality.
Pros
Meals, accommodation are free
Cons
Long broken hours
PA to Financial Controller
PA to Financial Controller (Former Employee) –  Dover28 December 2018
Excellent Director to work with. Enjoyed the variety of work within Folkestone and London. Particularly enjoyed the translitoral figure work for the ferries.
Very intensive as long hours
Bilingual Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Dover, Kent16 June 2018
P&O Ferries is an excellent company to work for if one is able to get a live onboard contract. We work a week on/week off rosta and stay on the ship for the week. The hours are long as we do an 84 hour week and we also have to work one week of nights. I am finding the shift work increasingly challenging and doing nights no longer suits my needs, plus I would like to spend more time at home sleeping in my own bed. We typically work a 12 hour day from 0630 hrs/1830 hrs. Night working involves a lot more administration, but both nights and days can be busy with passengers who are sometimes very challenging, especially if we are running late. The advantages of working here include a very good salary and free meals onboard with no commuting to be taken into consideration. Our cabins are decent and give us our own space and there is a gymnasium onboard to use during our 12 hours off. Management can vary, as our managers move to different ships every 2 years. This can be unsettling as I feel I have to keep proving myself with every change, and some of the managers trust me to get on with my job undisturbed, whereas new ones may want to continuously interfere. I enjoy being left to my own devises, as I know my job inside out and can be trusted to be left alone. I enjoy customer interaction and the fact that no two days are the same.
Pros
free meals, gymnasium, own cabin, good salary
Cons
long hours, living away from home.
Productive and Educacional
Steward (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire13 March 2018
A typical days would consist on 12h of work. 6h work rest for 5h work another 6h. Took various courses ... Food safety Level 2 ..Food Hygiene and others. Learned how to manage staff during some jobs that ive performed like assist store keeper . They had a good work culture with a very organized structure. The hardest part of the job was staying away from home but all and all was an ok job.
Pros
Free everything
Cons
12h dayswork
Empresa excelente para se trabalhar
Assistente de vendas / supervisora (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth11 March 2018
Adorei trabalhar nesta empresa. Infelizmente/felizmente a empresa parou de fazer a rota francesa em 2006 e o meu interesse sempre foi a experiência e o order ganhar dinheiro para pagar o curso de Estetica por isso acabou por ser a altura ideal para voltar e tentar tirar o curso.
Pros
Viagens pagas pra Inglaterra e de volta, salário, acomodação e alimentação tudo incluído
Cons
E uma carreira pra quando se é jovem e aventureiro não pra alguém que queira estabilizar
good job at the time
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover24 February 2018
working on cross channel ferries on a busy route to france was always different but fun great place to work and some very nice people everyday was different
Pros
free food good pay at the time i worked there
Cons
shift work was rubbish at the time
Not a great place to work at all
Customer Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  Larne, Northern Ireland19 February 2018
Typical day involves dual role jobs between passenger and freight check in, customer service, cash handling etc. Management are not approachable at all, workplace culture is poor, no chance for career progression. The job is relatively easy but with long working and anti-social hours.
High paying for seafaring officers
Merchant Navy Officer (Current Employee) –  Dover, Kent9 January 2018
They will pay higher than industry standard and continue to train and develop you as a merchant navy officer. The jobs seem to be "dead man's shoes" however.
Pros
You work less than 6 months in the year. 1 week on/1 week off + 4 weeks leave.
Cons
Won't hire you unless you are well experienced, don't pay travel.
assistant stewardess
Assistant Stewardess (Former Employee) –  Dover2 November 2017
I worked for P&O Ferries as a seasonal worker, performing the duties associated with that of a stewardess work. This was in excess of ten years ago and so it would be unfair of me to comment further.
Pros
shift work
Cons
seasonal only
Good laugh
Stewdess /supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dover, Kent22 October 2017
Good job lots of benifits antill I got pregnant. Trying to do child care and work didn't work out so had to leave which was sad and a low part for me as I've always worked
Pros
Free travel