OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Employee Reviews

United Kingdom72 reviews
Coming from a performance based commercial background, I found it hard to adjust to the pace that working for a local authority offers. I still reflect on the time at Oxfordshire County Council and would have liked to have made more positive change than I did.
Not a great council to work for, management culture is shocking, they use people and step on them for their own gain forgetting that their purpose. In my now 15 yr career I have never worked for a council again following my experience. Management needed stripping the culture has not changed from close source feedback it’s literally dog eat dog mentality
Pros
Cons
poor mentality
My work with the visual impairment service was the best I have experienced in my career. The provision of support was excellent from both the council, management and co-workers and it was great to be able to contribute my experience to the development of the visual impairment service. More than anything was that despite having, for personal reasons, resigned my position, my work has been greatly appreciated by both management, schools, parents and children and young people.
Pros
Excellent continual professional development.
Cons
None!
The work is demanding role because of clients worked with, but work is never easy at Social services, but staff do their best for the clients, and the team.
High tier management, permitted bullying within the team, causing many colleagues to fall ill, or end up with anxiety and other issues. When bullying has been seen, proven and noted to HR, senior staff still sided with the perpetrator.
I work with a great team who supports each other, the atmosphere is pleasant and we have great Management support. The job role is varied and on a weekly rota
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
I worked there for 10 years it was a nice place to work with good buildings and a good flow of work. I was made redundant during a restructure. This was a shame.
Fast moving, team building, supportive staff, training opportunities,
Building a rapport with children while safeguarding and building on their development skills.
Supportive environment with plenty of opportunities for career progression
Good pay and holiday. Friendly co workers. Two days were never the same

Many staff work part time to balance their care responsibilities. Monitoring organisations we fund to ensure good quality services was incredibly interesting
I enjoyed working in Oxfordshire and worked in a school where the Headteacher and staff supported one another. We strived to improve the learning and teaching within our school and used the Creative Curriculum to enable the children to gain knowledge and skills using different themes that provided purposeful learning. We were able to attend different subject training.
At the time of employment the contract was run by Carillon.
And we all know what happened to them

Management was very poor from the start just had to leave as it was so frustrating
I am really enjoying working at OCC currently and would like to stay but sadly the role I am in is temporary.

The work is varied and interesting and the team that I work alongside are lovely.

Working from home once/twice a week is great
Providing services for the residents of Oxfordshire. Working at Speedwell house the location is very central to Oxford. There is access to company pool cars.
The current managers in my area are all general managers with no knowledge of the business area. They promote their friends, accidently make said friends pernament without ever having to apply for a role. Too many managers, the actual workers who deliver the services are struggling.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Managers out of touch with what we can deliver with staff level, no promotions, no JD
Felt secure being employed by the Council and pay was always accurate. Staff were friendly and professional. Was once supported by a literacy expert who helped with designing resources and supporting literacy across the school.
There are lots of great people doing fantastic work under difficult circumstances with budget pressures. I have been trusted to do work with autonomy since day one and felt supported throughout.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of funds
Great staff group, management style not what I have been used to.
I was only employed there for 4 weeks so cannot really comment as to the information you are requesting.
Self scrutiny is a good thing. A complicated place to fit into, if one is on a temporary contract. A fantastic experience if one is a quick learner. Agile working is the most enjoyable part of the job. Time management is a key skill that I have improved, in addition to learning a tremendous amount about a new area.
Pros
Agile Working
Cons
Having worked the core of Oxfordshire County Council for a decade I understand the organisation well. The last year has seen very rapid change right at the core, starting with a new Chief Executive who has replaced and restructured the entire senior leadership. It is too early to know the full effects, though I've seen recent changes i don't like.

cons:

> over the last year there has been a noticeable up-tick in the ideoliogcal propoganda pushed-out to staff: it is now obsessed with telling its staff what to think on green issues, intersectional politics, LGBTIA, etc. It's very difficult to go one day without an email or the intranet telling you the right way to live and what to think on matters unrelated to doing your job. It's unclear whether this is leadership 'virtue'-signalling how right-on they are, or is a more sinister attempt to reshape the organisation inside-out by eliminating diversity (of thought) amongst the staff.

> you expect local government to be 'left-leaning', but many staff are overt Corbynistas or Green Party members/supporters, and Remoaners (massively disporportionate to the population of Oxfordshire). Council staff are there to do the job prescribed in serving the elected councillors, whilst remaining politically neutral... that's not the reality of the culture however.

> some services have been disfunctional for years: massively over-spent each year, fail to manage budgets, managed by people of questionable competence. A lot of talk of innovation and projects but radical, logical programmes with a realistic hope of addressing the challenges
 - more...
Pros
Work-life balance, some good colleagues, pension, County Hall location
Cons
recent overt political-shift, 'right-think' culture developing, dysfunctional Transformation, development poor
A typical day at work is very busy and high pressured but also very rewarding.
I have learned that there is always a solution to a problem so not to panic.

I have always worked well as part of the management team and with the management team to prove a high level of service.

The hardest part and most challenging part of my job is dealing with difficult staff members, but my main focus is to stay calm, listen and take actions appropriately.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that every day we are helping the elderly and disabled people to be able to live an independent life style by providing and installing equipment for their every day requirements.
I attended an NVQ level 2 course run by oxfordshire county council for two years, The woman overseeing the operation was very friendly and wanted to help all the apprentices.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL. Our community is ready to answer.
OXFORDSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL Reviews by Location