Oxford University Press

Oxford University Press Employee Reviews

United Kingdom53 reviews
Good work life balance with term time role and all school holidays off. Large territory to manage on your own. Supportive managers but targets are unfairly split amongst team members.
Pros
Broadband and lunch benefit
Cons
Long driving hours in term time
Poor management,watching people but they like chatting,big favouritism there, some managers really stupid,they don't deserve Money what they get,very poor training,I worked there five years,waste time.
Pros
Morning shifts
Cons
Everything else
Oxford University Press a great place to be working. Can be fast paced
and competitive at times.

Changes happening all the time,lots of systems to work with.

Have learnt a lot on the Structural side of the Business.

Fast paced.

Lovely building and colleagues

Lots of training given and lots of meeting to attend
In general working for OUP is ok. But it is difficult to advance in your career unless you go up the ladder via interviews.
It tends to be an slow moving environment. And as well quite bureaucratic.
Very good company they gave me opportunities than other companies .I worked in inventory and enjoyed it where I work now no progression managers very nasty but this company is very fair
What can I say but this is the best job I have ever had since leaving school. Loved the job I was doing with the most amazing people. The hours were perfect and the location was also perfect. Also the agency I was with for this (Venn Group) were amazing too.
Employees with bullish attitudes, dated and dull working environment, lack of collaboration between teams, dirty toilets, reception staff can be rude, difficult to get meetings run on time.
Pros
Close walk to Oxford Town Centre
Cons
Office working environment lacks lusture
Productive & fun place to work with good attention to staff wellbeing in terms of H&S work station comfort and career progression (if desired). Great staff benefits including a subsidised canteen.
Engaging with OUP employees can be a challenge as they can be rude and quick to feel under attack.

There is a lack of joined up business processes.

On the other hand OUP has an interesting history.

The Jericho office is within walking distance to oxford city centre.
Pros
Near to Oxford City Centre
Cons
No Parking onsite
A typical day would be quite easy-going. handling books and files transferring from one place to another. filing and logging information onto a computer.
Pros
breaks whenever with a lunch
A truly driven and passionate team with great management. The company is behind technologically but is making great progress without disturbing those internal and external.
Relaxed environment, friendly colleagues and management but no career progression or incredibly limited. Very slow procedures and highly hierarchical structure.
I came to Oxford University Press in 2016 to do my work experience while in school, and I loved every minute of it. Every single member of staff is friendly and supportive, and they taught me a whole bunch to do with the publishing industry.
Pros
Free lunches
The work was interesting and varied with a different focal task each week. We worked a shift pattern that involved covering flexi-time for the rest of the organisation.
Pros
Subsidised canteen
Cons
Shift pattern.
Oxford university press provides and excellent work life balance culture and operate within a very supportive and work life balance ethos, the job prospects are limited within the sector.
Beautiful place to work with great facilities. Unfortunately salaries can be low and some roles struggle to gain promotions. Great people to work with though.
Pros
Facilities
Cons
Salaries low
The medical books editorial team were very kind and generous with their time. They gave me a good amount of responsibilities and training during my short time with them.
Management get by on nepotism. The pay is awful, and there are no target-driven incentives or options to further your career beyond a certain point. The work is boring and monotonous. the senior management are beyond respect.
Nice people who try hard. But very backwards and living in the past. For a technical career, this is not the place to be. Soul crushing....boring projects - mostly IT focused. Most technologists cannot get jobs elsewhere so they come to OUP. I am looking to leave ASAP.
Such an incredible brand, but seems totally adrift in their most successful markets. No clear direction or leadership coming from above and their investment in staff skills is a joke. No practical training, rare feedback meetings with line managers and no clear advancement opportunities. A major disappointment to me.
Pros
Nice working environment. Staff are friendly
Cons
No training, no clear career path, little investment in people from management.
Working for the Law Online section for such a well known and respected company meant that I really felt like I was contributing. It was a relief to be doing a specifically described job and not just 'admin', further, to be doing it in my favourite area of work - online systems - was just heaven sent. I am still most proud of this job title! My manager was kind and his manager was brilliant. Such a difference from previous roles.
Pros
Worth it
Cons
Tricky commute