Oxford University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

Oxford University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

Overworked, undervalued
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Banbury3 April 2019
Job would be so much better if not for extremely bad management,who constant put on you to do more.The problem is too many managers and supervisors all constantly wearing you down.The high staff turnover is evident of this,and yet they are quite picky about who they employ.On the plus side the pay is ok and holidays good.
Pros
Annual leave
Cons
Exhausting physically and mentally
ambiente stimolante con prospettive di carriera
Legacy and Charity Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire17 March 2019
Ambiente variegato da culture diverse e persone stimolanti.
Love the patients but not a lot else.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire28 February 2019
nurse in a busy department. A lot of bullying in the workplace. Slim to no chance of further education or professional development. Zero communication from management to people on the “shop floor”. Long shifts, awful shift patterns, very rarely get a thank you from the managers. The patients made it all worth while though. The patients were the only reason I carried on here for as long as I did. Lack of empathy when off sick and no proper return to work programme despite being advised I should have a phased return. Off the record I was told we were too short staffed for that to happen. Handed my notice in. Not so much as a thank you on my last day. Awful place. Lots of better trusts out there to work for.
Pros
Amazing patients
Cons
Lack of supportive management, no communication
Oxofrd University Hospitals
Senior Clinical Trials Pharmacy technician (Former Employee) –  Churchill, Oxfordshire4 December 2018
after 5 years in the trust I learned a lot during my time at the OUH, I have grew, I have gained a lot and now ready to spread my wings and move on

a typical day included managing staff, conducting clinical trials studies, aseptic production, invoicing companies
Good
Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire26 October 2018
A very good place to work
Job Work/Life Balance very good
Salary/Benefits very good
Job Security/Advancement very good
Management very good
Job Culture very good
The most stressful place I have ever worked
Elective Access Officer (Former Employee) –  Oxford24 October 2018
I worked in the ENT department at this hospital as an administrator/secretary. The job started off okay at the very start, but as time went on, more and more work was piled on to me, with very little help. Before leaving, I was actually doing a job that five separate people were doing before I took it over.

There was no help from management with regards to the lack of space in clinics for booking patients in. All we were told was that it had to happen...

I think there was someone crying on an almost daily basis. So many people left the department at the same time, I think between 8-10 people at one point.

The only thing that helped while working there, was that the majority of the people I worked with were lovely. If it weren't for them, I think I probably would have had a complete mental breakdown.

Another thing was, when a close family member of mine passed away, they were absolutely awful about giving me compassionate leave... when a hospital has a strapline of 'delivering compassionate care', you would think that they would have been better about this!

The salary was also disgusting for the fact that Oxford is an expensive city to live in, and the amount of work that you had to do.

I would not wish working in this department on my worst enemy. It is truly the worst place I have ever had the misfortune of working in, to the point where it actually made me ill. Avoid like the plague!
Pros
Some of the people I worked with
Cons
Ridiculous workload, terrible management, lack of compassion, terrible pay
productive and funny experience
Porter (Former Employee) –  Oxford2 August 2018
This was one of the best experiences of my life, the first time I came to England and found this incredible job. The good working atmosphere with colleagues, being all day from one side of the hospital to another talking to everyone, acceptable salary with possibility to do overtime, place of work safe and clean. All perfect
Pros
good working Atmosphere
Cons
busy days
Lovely, caring environment
Staff Nurse Band 5 (Current Employee) –  Didcot, Oxfordshire18 July 2018
Didcot Community Hospital is a lovely place, dedicated to patients, caring towards staff and well run. It is hard work, no doubt about it, but rewarding and fun.
Pros
Colleagues, ward manager
Cons
Hot!
Well run and managed department
Dentist (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire1 July 2018
Professional, well run NHS Trust which offers excellent opportunities for further development and training in a world leading institution that embodies the National Health Service.
Communications Needed
Trauma & Orthopaedic Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire8 May 2018
Some great people to work with and for.

Training available to all - if you want it.

Pay ok.

Leadership poor in places.

Communications to staff is slow and not informative
Pros
Great service to patients
Cons
Poor place to work
Enjoyed working
Neonatal nurse (Current Employee) –  Nicu18 February 2018
Enjoyed working as a team in Nicu it’s always a busy place to work it’s a tertiary level hospital but working as a team and supporting each other lessens a stressful environment
Horton was a amazing place to work
Maternity Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbury5 February 2018
good people to work with caring and compassionate on the whole, unfortunately are stressed and stretched due to pressure from other factors but i enjoyed my time at the horton.
Pros
good team work
Cons
parking can be a problem
Podiatry department- Enthusiatic and exemplary service
Community Podiatrist (Current Employee) –  SE Team2 February 2018
Highly trained staff with years of experience. Rarely work alone and have the full support of a friendly team. Plenty of incentives with great opportunities for career progression and a diverse range of clinics (all bands).

The most attractive aspect of working for Oxford health NHS is the ability to liaise directly with consultants from other multidisciplinary settings e.g orthopaedics, vascular, rheumatology, tissue viability and dermatology. We also have a positive working relationship with the local GPs and nurses.

You will benefit from a dedicated diabetes team who are very knowledgeable and only a phone call away! If you're keen enough they will accommodate you on a rota basis!!

Most importantly an excellent and motivational operational/professional lead who has the interests of her staff and patients at heart. Very flexible within realistic limits.

It has been an absolute honour to serve such a dedicated team. No doubt, the most satisfying phase of my career of working for a total of 12 trusts nationwide!!
Pros
Excellent leadership
Cons
Distances between clinics
Great place
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire19 January 2018
It is a good place to work and they enable a good work life balance. The hardest part of the job is driving into Headington. Its a good place to work if you get the right position
Supportive and enjoyable
Resuscitation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Churchill hospital15 January 2018
Working with supportive colleagues on a daily, basis carrying out admin tasks. I had learnt something new everyday in terms of computer skills and admin and clerical skills. Managers who encourage for progression and learning. All staff is easy to get a long with and very friendly and helpful.
Pros
salary increment per annum
Cons
Half hour lunch
great place to work
Biomedical Scientist (Current Employee) –  Oxford16 November 2017
it is quite challenging as it is a big laboratory, and covers diagnostic and research work. Good place to gain wide range of experience in diagnostic and research.
Pros
free tea break
Cons
shift work with less pay
Work work work
Elective Access Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire13 November 2017
A typical day at work would include getting into the office, logging on to all the systems logging on to the phones and starting with work. Depending on your role and what you need to do depends on how much work you can do. The days can go very slow or rather quickly. I've learned that not everyone is willing to help when you need it the most.
Management is few and far between they either help or they don't, unless its something major they don't so i wouldn't hold your breath.
Dynamic, fast paced
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire2 October 2017
In a typical day I can encounter anything to patient queries/ complaints, organising work cover, supporting other departments, putting a new SOP into place, discussing sick leave/ holiday leave and actioning according to the policy. I encourage team work and a positive can do attitude to all. My manager is very supportive and offers guidance when needed. The reward of my job is ensuring patients receive the best care and myself and my team have made their pathway as smooth as possible in what can be a very stressful time in their life.
Buena experiencia
Enfermera (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire18 September 2017
Ambiente inmejorable aunque sobrecarga de trabajo.
Pros
Compañeros
Cons
Turnos 12 horas y muchas noches seguidas
Docile
Clerical Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire16 September 2017
The organisation is trying to change the work culture but management doesn't support this effort well enough. There is a disconnect between the staff and immediate management.
Pros
Plenty of Holiday
Cons
Pay not consumerate