Oxford Instruments

Oxford Instruments Employee Reviews

United Kingdom20 reviews
Good people make it good place to work. I get on well with the team and they all want to improve the growing order book. The management team is quite new but work really weel as a team and very supportive.
My expectations within the OIPT Division was a enjoyable one, could have been better if a little more time was allowed to be focused on being able to finish tasks which are given to you as an individual to drive forward with, having said that, I would say that I was 80% there towards the end of my probation period, however not withstanding that, I would join in a heartbeat if I was given the opportunity to do so, FANTASTIC Team spirit and work ethic!
Consistent, supportive and friendly. Scientific engineering and manufacturing, involving a range of skills to build precision nano printing technology.
I experienced the work environment in different parts of the company ranging from production to HR. As I was on work experience and under 18 I was mainly observing and learning how that part operated within the overall business.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
People not being able to supervise
Worked there several times over 10+ years, got worse with time, last time glad to leave, culture of blame and back stabbing, often bullying, contractors regularly bear the brunt. Not hard to shine but at your peril. Bad narrow minded snr management, unflexible rules. Huge difference in treatment of office and shop floor, also contractors and permanent, IMHO few good people left.

guys l
The work was right up my street with being hands on and the everyone treats everyone very well, however my job was sold as though you get to travel the world and visit the places, however you end up going from airport to lab to hotel to airport which is hard on your social life.
Very interesting technologies with talented engineers and scientists, but awful short-sighted management, a reluctance to change, and an embarrassing lack of resources made it impossible to carry out my job role effectively.

Quality assurance is almost non-existent, recurring issues are ignored and managers are only interested in quick wins to make a few quid rather than implementing anything worthwhile to improve operations.

I wouldn't recommend it.
Pros
Interesting technologies and applications
Cons
Terrible management
*old infrastructure
*poor management

*management has no vision

*lets clean up the mess daily attitude

*do not think "SMART WORKING" always think "SMART CLEANUPS"

*very poor salaries

*clear demarcations between staff and management

*great teams

*horizontal approach by Senior Management - no "lets get better attitude"
Pros
flexi working hours, great teams to work with
Cons
management
fun place to work with fun people
lots of training given, lots of attention given to health and safety in the work place and employee well being - environment
Pros
people
Cons
hours
They went out of their way to give me as much experience as possible as I was considering a career in human resources. All of the staff were very welcoming and pleasant.
Sole responsibility for EMEA, Far East, Russia & BRIC ledgers, Building relationships, Risk management, Independence
Pros
Independence
Cons
With in Oxford Brookes the colleagues very friendly and productive and i was a worthwhile work experience , in which I learned a lot of work related skills.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Repetition
Working in a small team responsible for accurate and timely collection of data on a world leading handheld Laser Induced Breakdown Spectroscopy (LIBS) machine.
A normally used to work 8 hours plus extra time 2-3 hours.

A typical day at work: gather data on various sample metals (pointing the analyser at sample and recording the reading) and after that transferring data from USB to computer and ensuring all data collected has been saved and stored correctly.

Accuracy is paramount to this role, as any inconsistency will result in a ripple effect when the data is used by other members of the team. Due to the importance of this, identifying anomalous results earlier on in the collection process saves time and resources later on.
Great company to work for, challenging products and systems of work. Good decent bright people, the whole place is making exciting groundbreaking products
Pros
Groundbreaking technical challenges
Cons
A typical day would include negotiating best price quotations, placing purchase orders, expediting and liaising with shop floor management and design management.
Pros
Constantly learning
Cons
Long travel distance
A very interesting job as I like building and programming p.c's, I have learnt how to build p.c's and make high power electronic detectors.
my mangers are very good at planning work and managing the staff, my co-workers support and help me if needed. the hardest part is problem solving but i like a challenge so its my most enjoyable too.
Interesting environment, very varied workload. Co-workers very friendly and helpful. The most enjoyable part of the job was travelling to another site and providing a full HR service for them.

The hardest part of the job - leaving it.
Pros
Great location, hours, on-site canteen
Cons
It was only a contract role.
Exciting to work in a fast global growing business in high technology sector
I very much enjoyed my employment as there were always new challenges as we were building machines for the plasma industry and due to support from management and co-workers I was able to share and further my knowledge and experience.
Unfortunately the work load tailed off and, as a contractor, I was laid off.
Pros
Freindly and supportive collegues.
Cons
Unfortunate end of contract due to lack of orders.
Tough work load if you are good, they load you up. Learnt project management skills and bringing products rapidly to market.