Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

hostile work environment with extremely poor management
Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire21 May 2019
The role is extremely demanding, poor relationships between management and staff and a extremely high staff turn over!!. Very little integration with other cultures within the work environment and management are not qualified to make any decision.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
poor management, ignorance
Very interesting but not for everyone...
support worker (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire20 March 2019
Every day was different,unpredictable. I learned a lot about the mental illnesses but it wasn't easy nor enjoyable, but very sad, usually. The most enjoyable part was to see unwell patients getting better.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Dangerous situations - often
Lions led by donkeys...
Thames Valley and Wessex Programme Support (Former Employee) –  Oxford12 February 2019
A fantastic job working alongside clinicians and support staff whose commitment to their patients and the service is unquestionable. However senior operational management and their attitude to staff during a restructure was very poor indeed.
Average
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire14 November 2018
Dream job but low pay makes you feel devalued as a practitioner, especially when you compare your salary to what others are on in the same profession to you (NHS nearly £10,000 less) Unable to keep staff, which means they pay more to employ agency workers whereas if they gave their permanent staff better benefits they might not have this issue
Pros
Supportive team
Cons
Rubbish pay
Worst employer ever
Senior mental health practitioner (Former Employee) –  Buckinghamshire29 August 2018
The worst job I have ever had

Bullying managers, lack of support and minimal supervision. Managers collude with one another to deny there are any problems in the team that are deeply systemic. Moral was so low that the only option was to leave. The rot started at the top and worked its way down. No opportunities to develop and no one interested. Hours worked were well in excess of contracted hours yet managers always left on time. Performance targets were more important than the patients. HR were useless regarding any concerns raised and always defended managers
Pros
Cons
As stated
An exceptional team where patient care is a priority!
Lead Dental Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire23 March 2018
Oxford's Community Dental Service provides care for so many different patient groups and the dentists and nurses are both very involved. It is completely different to working in general practice, but in a positive way, all staff are highly valued and the teamwork is so important. The service has one awards for it's patient care and you can go home every day feeling pleased with what you have achieved and the care you are able to deliver. Everyone is helpful, hardworking and enthusiastic and most importantly everyone is well supported by their colleagues and managers.
The salaries increase annually, and we get a generous 27 days annual leave, as well as bank holidays, which also increases depending on how long you have been in the service.
The service offers amazing patient care, a wide variety of dentistry which you don't get in general practice, support with career progression and CPD and every member of the team is highly valued and respected.
I could not imagine working outside of community dentistry in the future.
Pros
All of the above
Cons
Dental team - Fantastic opportunities!! very rewarding!
Lead dental nurse (Current Employee) –  Banbury9 March 2018
Working in community dental at Oxford health gives you so many opportunities and variation. Within the service we have a chance to do GA, sedation, CPD, post grad courses, CBT, oral surgery and so much more. We also work with a variety of patients with mental health, learning difficulties, anxiety, physical disabilities and more. Working with such a big variety of patients is very rewarding and you really feel like you've helped part of the community and put your stamp on it.
I thoroughly enjoy coming to work and caring for those who need our help and support. I love working in a big team and would defiantly recommend working here if they feel they want to make a difference and enjoying working in a large team!
Dedicated and responsive team
Locum Counselling Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Oxford26 February 2018
A busy AMHT in a central location with a diverse population of clients.

Workplace culture was dedicated to ever improving service delivery and patient care.

Responsive, caring team, dedicated to patient safety and wellbeing.
Pros
Wonderful team
Cons
Busy
Podiatry is a great team to work for.
Podiatry Admin Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford23 February 2018
The Podiatry team is very supportive, friendly and welcoming. I have really enjoyed working here so far, and I look forward to continuing to learn and develop in my role.
Podiatry department- Enthusiastic and exemplary
Podiatrist (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire8 February 2018
Highly trained staff with years of experience. You rarely work alone and have the full support of a friendly team. Plenty of incentives with great opportunities for career progression (all bands).

The most attractive aspect is the ability to liaise directly with consultants from other multidisciplinary settings e.g orthopaedics, vascular, rheumatology, tissue viability and dermatology.

We are also very fortunate to have a dedicated diabetes team who are very knowledgeable and only a phone call away! If you're keen enough they will accommodate you on a rota basis!!

Most importantly an excellent and motivational operational/professional lead who has the interests of her staff and patients at heart.

It has been an absolute honour to serve such a dedicated team. No doubt, the most satisfying phase of my career of working for a total of 12 trusts nationwide.
Pros
Excellent leadership and teamwork
Cons
Distances between clinics
Dedicated staff and friendly suportive team
Podiatrist (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire25 January 2018
Staff are dedicated to doing their best for patients under their care and it is a friendly team to work for who support one another. There is always someone to go to for advice and management were supportive when I needed to work flexibly.
The trust computer system could be improved though as has slow periods.
On the whole a great team to work for with opportunities to develop & progress
Pros
Friendly, flexible, patient care good
Cons
Computer can be slow
Lacks decent managers
nurse (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire14 October 2017
Managers haven't got a clue they are too comfortable sitting in their office don't know what's going on in their hospital. Not helpful or supportive.
Work very stressful lots of agency can't seem to keep staff while trust needs an overhaul lots of areas could be improved to save money
Pros
Cons
you pay for parking
Productive Workplace
Administrator/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Littlemore, Oxfordshire4 October 2017
Interesting and can be challenging. Good training opportunities.
helping people daily is a major part of my job and I enjoy it.
It helps to know that I work for an organisation that helps put meanings into people's lives
Pros
Accessible
A great job
Clinical Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury29 August 2017
This was probably the best job I have had, I have worked within the NHS for 30+ years in many managerial roles, this was the one I will recall with the most fondness. I was able to make many service improvements with the support of both junior and senior staff.
I miss this job and staff, very sad to leave
Pros
Mangerial support
Cons
Had to leave
awful but good
Health Care Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire26 July 2017
very complex work but lack of management bully staff and not able to pick up extra shifts and complex issues but some staff were good good wards and but challenging mental health issues
HR is awful
Pros
free food on shift if there is any left over
Cons
rude staff and bad management
produtive and fun
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Caerphilly7 July 2017
a work day here is the same, you don't get a lot of customers but the ones you do get are lovely and can hold conversations, your work peers are good people but its a lot of cleaning and sorting things into order but pricing thins people bring in can be fun!
Pros
easy work
Cons
long day
IAPT - Healthy Minds
CBT Therapist (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire27 May 2017
My review, like 2 others on here, is specific to the IAPT service Healthy Minds. And I would echo what has already been said, I think this was one of the most demoralising and unhealthy work environments I have ever worked in. I suspect this culture is filtering down from a senior level. My experience was of a largely demoralised work-force, a management culture of coercion combined with indifference to people's needs, and a lot of friction between those on the front line dealing with service users, and managers who often seemed aloof and unwilling to listen. I had some great colleagues, and saved the job from being unbearable, but on the whole I was very happy to leave. Unless the culture has changed radically, I would not be able to recommend working at this service to anyone..
Pros
Some fantastic colleagues
Cons
Demoralised work-force, poor management.
A challenging place to work.
Community Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Oxford5 November 2016
I have been working for this organisation for the past 12 years as a community nurse. In that time with the demands on the service made by an ageing client group, it has gone from a rewarding place to work, to highly stressful atmsosphere. I am not sure if this is only in the realms of district nursing but I feel that I am in need of a change.

I work in a supportive team with an amazing manager. The more senior managers are in little evidence unless there is a problem. I have learned in my current job, to assess situations constantly and with the collaboration of my team and our patients consent to change treatment when necessary. A typical day at work currently, is seeing patients, looking at Emis through which we communicate with Gp's. Having students to mentor and organising a new health care assistant who has started with us. The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing patients in their own homes and the hardest part is trying to fit everything into a 7.5 hour day
Pros
Variable work
Cons
No prospect of being paid more for more work.
Excellent Work Place
Research Governance Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford20 October 2016
The best part of the job was the interaction with researchers and their assistants. I also enjoyed brainstorming with managers and colleagues as well as peers across the Thames Valley region at other NHS Trusts.

I found that I enjoyed the face-to-face aspect of the job with co-workers and researchers as well as the quiet hours spent studying the research proposals.

The most difficult part of the job was satisfying the strict requirements laid down by the authorities as well as ensuring that all parties (Trust managers, researchers and local workers) were happy.
Pros
Flexi-time and really nice co-workers
Cons
Travelling into Oxford
Beware- At your own risk
Trainee PWP (Former Employee) –  High Wycombe - Healthy Minds28 July 2016
My experience of Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust has generally been positive. The trust is very organised and shows good innovation.

My review is for the specific service I worked in: Healthy Minds: High Wycombe

This IAPT service is an open-plan call centre where you will be expected to complete back to back appointments throughout the day. Staff are rarely able to take lunch breaks and mostly stay late due to the high workload. The service is very target driven - my targets, when calculated, amounted to more than my contracted working hours.
The management style shifts from either completely absent or micro managing and managers are not supportive. Managers have shown no accountability for occasions when they have failed to support members of staff and on some occasions have flatly denied making statements or sending information in emails which has further decreased staff morale. This is accompanied with no car parking (many members of staff either pay £5 a day to park or risk having their cars vandalised by locals when parking it on a street- this occurred on several occasions whilst I worked in the service).

The service rates itself as the "number one" IAPT service in the country and achieves this by assessing everybody who refers within 3 to 7 days (recording the session type as assessment and treatment) and then putting them on a waiting list for at least 4 months before they receive any further contact. Using the IAPT national data standards to its own advantage by manipulating how session types are recorded and also informing staff not to discharge any
  more... patient who is not in "recovery" in certain months where this may affect the data that is Collated nationally.

I did not find the working practices safe or patient centred. I work in mental health to help support people to the best of my ability and did not have the opportunity to do this within this service. Staff wellbeing in this job is the worst I have ever experienced in my career and there is a widespread culture that fosters a "toxic" environment for staff at all levels leaving a demoralised and demotivated atmosphere which is contagious. This is further illustrated by the high turnover of staff with many people leaving at the earliest opportunity. Staff are not made to feel valued and although there is opportunity for career progression, you will only be considered if you are able to put your morals aside and tow the company line.

If you are desperate to complete your PWP training and then leave then you may want to stick this out as it is likely to strengthen your character. However if you are already qualified or If you can go to any other IAPT service, I would strongly recommend this as your best course of action. I have been fortunate to work in three IAPT services and have not been out of this career completely by this experience as I know that there are great services out there. Unfortunately I have witnessed colleagues lose self-confidence and their commitment to IAPT completely due to their experience in this particular service.

The worst part of this experience is working with such amazingly talented step 2 colleagues and seeing this environment chip away at their skills, confidence, and general wellbeing. I value the support of these people immensely and this was literally the only redeeming feature of the job.

This service's reputation precedes itself and unfortunately it is not at all reflective of the positively worded job description with many people colloquially calling the service "unhealthy minds".
Pros
PWP qualification
Cons
Unachievable targets, dangerous working practices, no staff wellbeing, lack of support from management - basically the whole experience

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.

Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust Reviews by Location