Oxford City Council Employee Reviews

Passionate and forward thinking
Contracts & Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oxford22 February 2019
Forward thinking organisation which embraces change and innovates. Operates both commercially as well as providing public services, always looking for new ways provide better services and increase revenue - creating new opportunities for those living in Oxford and for those wanting to work for the Council.
I Enjoyed my time there
Apprentice Signs and Lines (Former Employee) –  Marsh Rd, Cowley, Oxford7 November 2018
In my time there i learnt a lot, i worked with a good bunch of men and got on well with the boss, i am really sorry when it came to an end.Well i was there i made Road Signs and also went out with the Men learning Road lining. The most enjoyable part of my Job was what i learnt and the Men i worked with. Working for Oxford City Council gave me a chance to learn a Trade well being paid to learn.
Pros
Learnt a trade
Cons
No job at the end
Trabajo cómodo y bien remunerado
Customer Services Officer - (Former Employee) –  Oxfordshire19 September 2018
Trato con los ciudadanos de Oxford con diversas gestiones a través de un programa informático.

Previo cursillo de tres meses sobre las diferentes gestiones de ayudas así como sobre la normativa de la administración pública inglesa.

Tantos los supervisores de equipos como la regidora fueron en todo momento muy positivos con sus trabajadores y no tuvieron ningún problema en interceder por los mismos cuando fuera necesario.

Como cualquier organismo público, política laboral muy definida en un manual que recogía cualquier aspecto muy claro y conciso y entregado a cada trabajador.

El trato con indigentes que eran imprevisibles y muy desagradables en cuanto a higiene se refería.

Eran varios centros informativos en Oxford y cada semana estábamos con un equipo diferente de gente rotando por toda la ciudad para llegar a todos los ciudadanos. Me encantó poder ayudar a la gente en gestiones que para determinadas personas puede resultar muy complicado por la dificultad de los formularios y el sistema.
Pros
Pensión privada, descansos y valoración cada 6 meses.
Cons
Clientes agresivos con problemas mentales
good work life
Income Officer (Current Employee) –  oxford city council25 July 2018
Good salary, good team. They like fixed term rather than permanent which can be difficult if you're looking for stability but they made me perm within 6 months as they valued my work.
excellent company
Health and Safety Advisor (Current Employee) –  Oxford16 May 2018
An excellent company to work for with fantastic benefits and great working conditions and hours. Oxford City Council strives to give the best service to the residents of Oxford through a high quality caring staff.
Good employer and job security
Business Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Oxford1 March 2018
Varied work dealing with internal and external customers

Enjoyed the wide range of work I undertake for the Council.

I really enjoyed my role of HR Advisor which I was in for 2.5 years.

The working hours are very good and I live locally which helps.

I work with nice people which really helps.
Pros
Good working hours and job security
Probably the Best Local Govt organisation in Britain
Officer, Business Improvement (Current Employee) –  Oxford30 December 2017
Too much of faffing around and wastage at the expense of public funds.
Can get frustrating if you are from a private sector and more time and trask driven
Pros
Bright Colleagies, beautiful Cities
Cons
Bureaucracy
Decant/Lettings Officer (Former Employee) –  Cowley, Oxfordshire2 December 2017
I enjoyed working for Oxford City Council and benefitted from the opportunities they offered. I worked within a supportive and hard working team. I thoroughly enjoyed my job.
Pros
Good working environment. Flexible working time.
Cons
Parking at the site. Could be noisy sometimes.
Inspiring place to work
HR Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oxford20 November 2017
Great place to work for those who enjoy a sense of giving back to their community. Dedicated professionals, all working hard for a common goal. Uncertainty caused by government cutbacks can make it a challenging environment at times. Very flexible working hours and patterns.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance, very flexible, care about their employees
Cons
Salary not the best, but other benefits help make up for this.
very good working culture. I was working as an agency staff fr two years in two different roles. There was work flexibility and the hot desking good
Welfare reform officer (Former Employee) –  Oxford City Centre, Oxfordshire9 September 2017
I was not discriminated as an agency worker. I started as a tenancy sustainment officer, and when the vacancy for a welfare reform officer was introduced, I was given an opportunity to work with tenants struggling to come to terms with the welfare benefit channges
Rigid and not very friendly
Customer Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Oxford4 September 2017
Excellent salary and benefirs but a very old fashioned work place, all 3 line managers were male and not very approchable or professional. Made me think of a Victorian factory, wifh very rigid breaks and an excessive screening for sickness. I had to go to work with a tooth abscess on 1 occasion and struggled wifh a migraine for 3 days in unbearable heat wifh no air con in the office.
I wish i could safe the colleagues made up for the management but they were mostly cleaky and not very friendly
Pros
Weekends and bank holidays off
Cons
Only 30 min for lunch, tuny kitchen with no ventilation, toilet breaks monitored
Productive and fun job
Refuse Collector (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire18 August 2017
I enjoyed the job got on well with everyone apart from when their was bad weather everthing was alright, liked working as a team and also kept me fit with the amount of walking
Pros
4 days a week
Cons
Hard work
Good job with certain benifits
OXFORD (Former Employee) –  OXFORD14 July 2017
I had to attend to the places that required cutting grass in the parks, tidying the flowers in the gardens,very enjoyable meeting new people, reward was when the customers were happy with the work.
Pros
long good hours
Cons
good holidays
Super
Food Waste Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire6 July 2017
Good role, but lots of red tape and the dark cloud hanging over them of Oxford County Council making taking over and all at OCC losing their jobs.
The role was varied in going to different restaurants and helping them with problems with over filling bins with food waste. Suggesting alternate, more climate friendly ways of disposing of their waste.
Pros
Oxford City itself
Cons
Lack of parking
Professional working environment
HR Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire5 June 2017
Part time role (job share) - administrative role in the HR team.
Attention to detail essential with good communication skills. Professional management team.
Unsustainable working hours
Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford6 January 2017
MOst of what you hear about health and well being is just rhetoric. Discretionary effort is what is required which translates to working for nothing.

I met many project workers from the telephony project that were working ridiculous hours and exhausted to the point of collapse.

The pace you are expected to work is simply not sustainable. There is no respect to the working time directive and it is continuously breached. Once your burnt out your out.

As for the flexible working it's hard to take the days owed when your working 50 plus hours a week.

As in most local authorities fewer and fewer staff expected to deliver to unreasonable expectations.
Pros
Pension, dedicated employees, training
Cons
Long hours, lack of support
Excellent organisation to work for
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford City12 December 2016
Oxford City Council is an award winning local government organisation who greatly value their staff and reward them accordingly.
A healthy work-life balance is strongly encouraged, including flexible working hours, work from home days and the availability of working part time hours.
I have learnt a great deal in this job, from honing up my administrative skills to learning about the ins and outs of how local government works.
Pros
Flexible working hours, working from home, part time working available for new mums etc
good place to work
Grounds Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oxford5 December 2016
Good place to work every one nice, friendly and willing to help you find your feet.
My typical day was cutting grass and trimming hedges.
My manager was very friendly and helpful.
Pros
good place and people to work for
Cons
non
Good Time
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Oxford, ENG3 February 2016
I Done a few days voluntary work here and really enjoyed it i mainly attended to the parks gardens and flower beds and helped clean the depo.

the hardest part was the early start time and the co-workers were friendly the best part was driving the kart around the garden areas
Pros
Good Fun
High Salary hard to achieve
employee (Current Employee) –  Oxford15 December 2015
The 'progressive salary' is extremely difficult to achieve. Essentially a carrot on a fishing line.

Looks like an attractive salary, but you need to do alot more than is advertised out of hours.
Pros
Good holiday.
Cons
Hard to achieve high grading, poor management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxford City Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Oxford City Council Reviews by Location