Oxford City Council

Oxford City Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom39 reviews
First experience of public sector for a while and role was interesting and challenging.
My line manager had a very aggressive in your face style of management which I found very intimidating at times and reduced my enjoyment of the role.
Pros
Work life balance excellent and support teams were efficient
Cons
Aggressive management and indecisive decision making
The offices have been updated with meeting rooms on every level. There are also staff kitchens on every floor. It is a hot desk environment and each station is set up the same with adjustable chair and screen. There is a supply on anti-bacterial wipes to clean station before setting up.

Working arrangement is flexible with 4 days in the office and one working from home.

The staff are great to work with.
Pros
Flexible working. Fun environment. Challenging
Great place to work. Management and team members were very supportive.
I enjoyed the department and on the job training was great for me to go off on my own after a week.
Everybody in the Streetscene department are either dealing drugs or on drugs while on shift.
If you get drug tested and fail you get sent home for a few days and then come back again instead of being fired like you should.

Racism and sexism is rife.

Management are bullies.

Workers turn up, do the bare minimum then go home while others work hard for no reward whatsoever.

Workers sent out with no clue what to do just given a list.

No team ethos it’s each man for himself.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Absolutely everything else
The people make working at the council pleasant enough but you get your shirkers like you do in any job. Some teams are treated better than others and there is favouritism.

In my experience Management is poor, there are no innovative ideas for change or improvement. No team aims or objectives so new ideas are never spoken about so nothing changes and so no mprovement to the service is ever made.

Individuals who go above and beyond make management look good.

The atmosphere is fairly relaxed and low key but workload is heavy and if staff are off they dont replace with temporary staff and leavers are slow to be replaced. Staff turnover is high in this team. This is never addressed.

Advancement,training and progession is limited despite what the adverts tell you. Few people get the opportunity to get ahead. If your face fits then you may get lucky.

Holiday allowance is generous but you need it as the pace can be tiring and monotonous.

Flex time varies between teams there is inconsistency as service needs and differing contracts mean not all staff are treated equally.
Inputting data to register applications for a range of services. Processing a range of applications, using agreed procedures and guidance, in order to meet service-wide performance and quality targets. Working with the team to provide excellent customer service by: ensuring phone cover during the teams’ core hours and by meeting agreed targets in relation to call answering. Follow all council procedures in respect of customer feedback, including complaints. Using a range of computerised systems such as databases, Excel and Outlook. Data Processing. Providing excellent customer service. • Resolving customer queries via phone email or face to face.
Great staff some managers are good but most office staff utilise procedure and company policy to their advantage.

Good job, great staff but a shame its let down by poor attitudes towards front line staff.
you didn't just stay in one place you got to go round, sometimes we had no call outs then other times they were a lot of call outs. Also I found it fun because the electrician I was working with he made sure I was involved so I was not bored.
Pros
I was not just in one place
Cons
no cons- i had fun with my placement
Forward thinking organisation which embraces change and innovates. Operates both commercially as well as providing public services, always looking for new ways provide better services and increase revenue - creating new opportunities for those living in Oxford and for those wanting to work for the Council.
In my time there i learnt a lot, i worked with a good bunch of men and got on well with the boss, i am really sorry when it came to an end.Well i was there i made Road Signs and also went out with the Men learning Road lining. The most enjoyable part of my Job was what i learnt and the Men i worked with. Working for Oxford City Council gave me a chance to learn a Trade well being paid to learn.
Pros
Learnt a trade
Cons
No job at the end
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Oxford City Council?
I currently plan work for a team of 20. I enjoy what I do however, I am looking for an opportunity to progress within a different establishment. I have learned a lot from my current role and hope you those skills in a new environment.
Trato con los ciudadanos de Oxford con diversas gestiones a través de un programa informático.

Previo cursillo de tres meses sobre las diferentes gestiones de ayudas así como sobre la normativa de la administración pública inglesa.

Tantos los supervisores de equipos como la regidora fueron en todo momento muy positivos con sus trabajadores y no tuvieron ningún problema en interceder por los mismos cuando fuera necesario.

Como cualquier organismo público, política laboral muy definida en un manual que recogía cualquier aspecto muy claro y conciso y entregado a cada trabajador.

El trato con indigentes que eran imprevisibles y muy desagradables en cuanto a higiene se refería.

Eran varios centros informativos en Oxford y cada semana estábamos con un equipo diferente de gente rotando por toda la ciudad para llegar a todos los ciudadanos. Me encantó poder ayudar a la gente en gestiones que para determinadas personas puede resultar muy complicado por la dificultad de los formularios y el sistema.
Pros
Pensión privada, descansos y valoración cada 6 meses.
Cons
Clientes agresivos con problemas mentales
Good salary, good team. They like fixed term rather than permanent which can be difficult if you're looking for stability but they made me perm within 6 months as they valued my work.
An excellent company to work for with fantastic benefits and great working conditions and hours. Oxford City Council strives to give the best service to the residents of Oxford through a high quality caring staff.
Varied work dealing with internal and external customers

Enjoyed the wide range of work I undertake for the Council.

I really enjoyed my role of HR Advisor which I was in for 2.5 years.

The working hours are very good and I live locally which helps.

I work with nice people which really helps.
Pros
Good working hours and job security
Too much of faffing around and wastage at the expense of public funds.
Can get frustrating if you are from a private sector and more time and trask driven
Pros
Bright Colleagies, beautiful Cities
Cons
Bureaucracy
I enjoyed working for Oxford City Council and benefitted from the opportunities they offered. I worked within a supportive and hard working team. I thoroughly enjoyed my job.
Pros
Good working environment. Flexible working time.
Cons
Parking at the site. Could be noisy sometimes.
Great place to work for those who enjoy a sense of giving back to their community. Dedicated professionals, all working hard for a common goal. Uncertainty caused by government cutbacks can make it a challenging environment at times. Very flexible working hours and patterns.
Pros
Excellent work/life balance, very flexible, care about their employees
Cons
Salary not the best, but other benefits help make up for this.
I was not discriminated as an agency worker. I started as a tenancy sustainment officer, and when the vacancy for a welfare reform officer was introduced, I was given an opportunity to work with tenants struggling to come to terms with the welfare benefit channges
Excellent salary and benefirs but a very old fashioned work place, all 3 line managers were male and not very approchable or professional. Made me think of a Victorian factory, wifh very rigid breaks and an excessive screening for sickness. I had to go to work with a tooth abscess on 1 occasion and struggled wifh a migraine for 3 days in unbearable heat wifh no air con in the office.
I wish i could safe the colleagues made up for the management but they were mostly cleaky and not very friendly
Pros
Weekends and bank holidays off
Cons
Only 30 min for lunch, tuny kitchen with no ventilation, toilet breaks monitored
I enjoyed the job got on well with everyone apart from when their was bad weather everthing was alright, liked working as a team and also kept me fit with the amount of walking
Pros
4 days a week
Cons
Hard work