Oxfam Employee Reviews

Enjoyed it here
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Boston11 January 2018
I really enjoyed volunteering at Oxfam. The other volunteers were friendly and welcoming, the job I did was very enjoyable and even though I did it on my own, I could always go to someone else if I needed any help.
Pros
Friendly staff, flexible work schedule
Cons
N/a
Exciting place to work
I volunteer (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow9 January 2018
the workplace in settle in east London Walthamstow. the management is great as she treats everyone equally and is very easy to work with. the most enjoyable part of the jobs is working with the exiting team
good
hr volunteer recruiter (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 January 2018
good was always excited to go to work. learned a lot everyday from processing the till and so on. management was very enthusiastic and good as well. same goes for work culture.
fun workplace
Sales Volunteer (January to September) (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff8 January 2018
money handling
working alone as well as a team
people were friendly very joyful to work with
customers always leaving happy with what me and other volunteers were doing.
I learnt alot working in oxfarm
but always i felt great by just going to a place and volunteering to help for causes.
Pros
lunch from own pocket as only doing volunteering
Cons
yes long hour but enjoyed it
Good experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Thame8 January 2018
This experience helped me grow as a person and improved my people skills. It was also very rewarding to do something good for others. I really loved the community feel of the shop and interacting with customers.
Pros
community feel
positive
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  London7 January 2018
Very good job, friendly staff. Helpful and if you looking there volunteering - this is good pace do this! Any time you can go rest, any time coffe or tea time
Great working environment
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Keighley5 January 2018
Absolutely loved working at Oxfam and the staff and management are friendly. Great chances for advancement if you are a good capable worker. It was my first job and was a good introduction to a work environment.
Fun place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire5 January 2018
I was working as a volunteer at Oxfam. I helped out store the books and all the charitable stuff. it was very laid back and I had a great time working there.
Volunteering at Oxfam
branch retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon5 January 2018
I volunteered at Oxfam as part of my IB course.
I worked in the basement sorting out clothes and electronics as well as sorting out the new donations coming it.
Pros
great team
Interesting and supportive placement
Online Home ware specialist (Former Employee) –  Batley, West Yorkshire5 January 2018
It was a wonderful experince and helped to build skills and self belief. The organisation is very empowering and supportive. The workplace is fun and relaxed but encourages you to create results and raise funds for this amazing charity
Pros
travel expences and lunch allowance
Cons
Volunteering role with low prospects of moving into paid employment
Light hearted employmen
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cottingham, East Riding of Yorkshire4 January 2018
Oxfam is an enjoyable place to volunteer and spend my time helping out. The staff and manager are all nice people to engage in a conversation with and is a good place to build your CV
Well run!
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey2 January 2018
Lovely people, lots to do, real feeling of doing something to help. Would recommend for anyone with free time. You are taught how to use a till as well which is extremely useful!
Experience
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kendal31 December 2017
The job was volunteering but it gave a valuable experience that employers look for in job applications. The employers were very flexible which is important as I am studying at college at the moment, so they were able to let me work on days off and weekends, but still attend college as necessary. It's a great starting position for entering the workplace and gaining experience.
The work would consist of marking the prices of products, restocking the shelves, placing products on the website for sale and helping customers who were looking for products.
Pros
Provides experience that employers look for
Cons
was volunteering, better for experience or to help the community
Fun Workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Keighley28 December 2017
Staff are all lovely and we all get along amazingly. Everyone knows what they are meant to do and when it needs to be done. Many skills are to be developed.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Difficult customers
Fun to learn
Volunteer Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings28 December 2017
I worked here as a volunteer as part of my job seekers payment. I found using the credit card machine complicated when i had to use the till. I learned to use the steamer and dressed the windows occasionally.
Ambiente de trabajo
Dependienta (Former Employee) –  Greater Manchester26 December 2017
Valoración muy buena. Agradable compañerismo y buen ambiente de trabajo.
Pros
No tengo
Cons
No tengo
Wonderful place to work
Deputy Shop Manager (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway25 December 2017
Volunteering at Oxfam helped me build up my confidence and skills in the retail sector, after a gap in my career. The team are wonderful, and our manager is always willing to listen to new ideas and is very understanding. Oxfam gives us a lot of opportunities to put ourselves forward, learn new things, and feel empowered, and though the job can be tough, it is rewarding and not a single day is exactly the same. I would highly recommend volunteering with Oxfam - it has definitely helped to turn my life around and make me feel valued. In my role I can be myself but challenge myself at the same time.
Pros
Travel/ lunch expenses, great team, lots of training
Cons
Not exactly a con, but there can be a lot to get done on one shift
Oxfam
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Keighley, West Yorkshire25 December 2017
It is an not too bad environment with not too bad people.

however, you can work, do whatever too.

It can have loads of improvement.

There are so many things needed to improve.
Pros
Cons
So many cons.
Helping others
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  York19 December 2017
This job might be voluntary but doesn't mean it ain't worth it. 4 hours a week is perfect to get you the experience you want, it's like a taster into what working in retail is like. Even though I work on window displays i've also been taught to use the till in case I'm needed so you aren't stuck doing the same thing but I love it, you work with a variety of different people which are all lovely.
Pros
experience
There's nowhere like it.
Deputy Shop Manager (volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Dumfries14 December 2017
This is the first place I have ever wanted to wake up for. I look forward to going in on the mornings I volunteer. Over the past year I have not only added in an extra shift but extended my daily hours. Oxfam fits my lifestyle. I volunteer during the school term hours and I take holidays when the schools are on holiday. Not many places will offer such excellent flexibility even as a volunteer.

There are so many options in the shop to develop your skills whether it's stock room work, shop floor roles or even off site stalls. There is loads to get involved in from comics to records.

There is no discrimination in the workplace, everyone is valued and respected. There are so many volunteers from all different backgrounds from nurses to single parents.

Not only have I boosted my skills, I have learned new ones, developed confidence, found my voice and discover my opinion does matter as well as making friends in the process.

I would highly recommend giving time to not just the shop but the cause too. There's something to match everyone's interests and skill levels. I hope to volunteer for years to come.
Pros
Travel and welfare expenses. Hours to suit my lifestyle.
Cons
That I didn't realise how great it would be years ago.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3