Oxfam Employee Reviews

Fulfilling
Sales assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oxford16 June 2018
Working at Oxfam I always felt fulfilled. It was a nice environment to work in and the people were sweet. I learnt a lot about charity and felt happy by my contribution.
fun work
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Sutton Coldfield16 June 2018
honestly working for charities make you feel good about yourself the place makes you gain new friends and bring your mood into a happy place and etc, also give you a killer reference..
Pros
good experience
Cons
nothing
fun
Charity Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Enfield16 June 2018
i found the charity shop very fun, enjoyable and they have amazing staff. The hardest part about the job was trying to please the customers from time to time and also carrying the heavy books and clothes to the a back storage room. The management of oxfam was very good everyone always had a set position and we always switched round rolls so we had a better understanding of what was happening
Cons
no pay
Relaxed, friendly place to work.
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside14 June 2018
Relaxed, friendly place to work. Had a part time job here while I studied for my A levels. Everything in the shop was very professional and environment was warm and friendly.
Fun Workplace
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rugby14 June 2018
Enjoyable, and very nice people to work with. I was allowed to work on the tills which was a grate experience, especially with the staff helping me. .
Pros
Given money to get lunch
Alright
Volunteer Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woking13 June 2018
I volunteered there for 3 months and was not given much to do. The people working there seemed to lack motivation and would not work there for longer.
fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Devizes13 June 2018
I sort and iron clothes to go ready out in the shop floor
i have met new people when i've been volunteering you enjoy what you do because you are working for a charity
Pros
working for a charity
Cons
A very good voluntary placement
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire11 June 2018
Voluntarily working for Oxfam in their bookshop has allowed me to gain an insight into the working world and flesh out my confidence in applying for future jobs. Working at the checkout and organizing stock significantly helped me build an indispensable skill set which will aid me in future jobs, and the experience has also improved my social skills, something I was originally lacking in especially in the case of new situations like this. The placement was overall very enjoyable and manageable, and after the first week or two I never felt pressured or anxious about the job due to the welcoming and friendly atmosphere.
Pros
An amazing choice for voluntary work
Great and Fun Experience
Retail Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Leicester11 June 2018
Volunteering at Oxfam was quite a journey as I would volunteer in my free time from studying. It was a great experience connecting with different people who were also volunteering there. A typical day would include carrying out daily jobs such as cleaning, sorting out clothes and books, helping customers and working as a cashier.

As Oxfam shop is a retail shop, I gained some valuable retail experience and good communication skills. The store was very well organised with clothes and books in different sections of the store.
Pros
Flexible time for lunch and break time.
Cons
Standing on foot for 6 hours or more.
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cambridge9 June 2018
Ignore this review, It was a work experience thing. I stocked shelves, sorted stuff, cleaned crockery. There was a lot of workplace drama during the work experience thing.
Pros
Ignore this review, It was a work experience thing.
Cons
Ignore this review, It was a work experience thing.
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Tooting9 June 2018
I volunteered in oxfam for my bronze DofE award.
I learned how to manage the cashier and till
i met new people and made a close relationship with them
I got to boost my confidence
Pros
fun and friendly environment
Cons
volunteery work
Great Working there
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Quinton, West Midlands9 June 2018
For the two years working at Oxfam, I found it to be a great way to give back to the community. This was great way of gaining real-life work experience
Volunteer
Volunteer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 June 2018
Put books in alphabetical order, handled customer needs and Done some retail cashier work. Hardest part of the job was putting books in order as it was purely repetitive. The most enjoyable part of the job was cashier work as it involved cash handling and liaising with customers.
Pros
Come and go as pleased
Cons
Friendly, laid back work place
Oxfam volunteer supervisor (Former Employee) –  Street2 June 2018
A wonderful place to volunteer, flexible hours and a great management team. A great team of volunteers, a very non judgemental work environment. Management really look after their volunteers.
Pros
Everything. Its a great place to volunteer.
Cons
None.
Insecure middle managers
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Belfast, County Antrim2 June 2018
This is a place where a shining light can be dimmed by others insecurity. Initiative will be allowed until others (middle management) try to take over with a limited ability. Thus creating mayhem for any who can make a difference.
Pros
Working with volunteers
Cons
middle management interference
productive and fun workplace
Shop Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nottingham1 June 2018
By working at Oxfam I learned about how to serve the customers and communicate with them confidently. I also learned how to supervise a team and lead the team members in doing their jobs perfectly.
Pros
you can chose your shifts
Productive and fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool31 May 2018
It was a helpful and eye opening experience. I enjoyed working with the customers and the boss was really good.
I had good relationships with my colleagues and we all got along very well.
Productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Belfast31 May 2018
Helps with time management, and enhances sorting skills. Improves communication and people skills as one is faced with various different characteristics throughout the day. All in all, work is fun because it is going towards a good cause.
fun workpplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford, Essex29 May 2018
Overall, my experience at oxfam was very good i learned to work with people of various ages, a typical day at work involved standing behind the till, rearranging shelves and making friendly conversation with the customers.
Progressive and efficient workplace!
Currently volunteering (Current Employee) –  Leigh28 May 2018
Woking at Oxfam was never dull, meeting new people and handling new stock everyday was a sure way to keep busy and to improve my skills in customer service and organisation. The management is somewhat relaxed, but they expect the best out of all the volunteers. They create a fun, welcoming atmosphere.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oxfam. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3