Oxfam

Oxfam Employee Reviews

United Kingdom1,751 reviews
Found 1,751 reviews matching the search
Fun and relaxed workplace
It was a very enjoyable experience and I very much valued my time there, my co-workers were very friendly and more than willing to help or teach me something new.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Slow-paced
Relaxed and productive atmosphere
A typical day entailed organising the different items on display and dealing with customers as well as working on the till. You would also work alongside very nice people.
Really good
It has been excellent to work at Oxfam. It is nice to volunteer for a charity shop in this way as it is very relaxed and you feel like you are making a positive change. 100% recommend.
Worth your time
Well - meaning people.
Many customers have a tenuous hold on life, so compassion and compromise is the guiding way. I was received with a good deal of tolerance at a time when I was in some need of it.
Loved the job
The only problem was low pay and part time hours. The job was fantastic along with everyone else from Management to the volunteers you really felt part of a team.
Amazing place to work
An amazing place to work everyone is supportive and friendly. You definitely have a lot of fun but it's serious as well. The team are like a family and you always feel welcome.
fun workplace, understanding staff
It's a great place to start and get some experience, since there isn't many expectations, and as long as you do our job to the best of your ability, that's all that is asked of you.
Volunteering at Oxfam
Volunteering at Oxfam may appeal to those wishing to gain retail experience in a relaxed atmosphere. The work may include till work, sorting donations, pricing, stock arranging, cash control, etc. The team is friendly, and customer service is very important.
Volunteering
A nice environment to work in with friendly staff. Fast paced work but with a relaxed environment. I added fun sorting stuff out and helping to customers who came in.
Boring
It was work experience. I gained some experience but didn’t get to explore my full potential. I helped a lot and met nice people who were also on work experience there.
Fast Paced, Stressful, Fulfilling Work
It's a volunteer position. I think that maybe I hit the wrong button. But that being said volunteering at Oxfam is a good experience. It's not demanding. But when you're there, it really feels like you're a piece of the machine. Handling donations and talking to people who really believe in the mission statement of the company. A lot of people are here for a little direction, people who want something to do and something they can have a little pride in doing. It's great experience that covers a huge amount of areas. It's a holistic education in retail (stock room work and till work) married with a charitable spirit that lends itself to a more liberal love for products. Rather than a rigid company style and product, in the stock-room you evaluate a wide range of products on their quality and their appeal to the wide range of customers who come to sample merchandise and engage with what Oxfam has to offer.
There's also a far more human level of interaction with potential donors. Other retail has a rigid relationship with deliveries. Whereas strangers come to Oxfam looking for something good-hearted. Making them feel wanted and at home and that their coming down and offering something is a very good thing. Making them feel a part of the team. It encourages them to come back. People can often feel uneasy about donating. There's a lot of cynicism about charity, especially Oxfam. And engaging with that cynicism and re-working it as a positive thing. They want to donate somewhere that will actually help and it's fulfilling to present people with real evidence of change for the better
 - more...
Productive and fun
the work experience there was amazing. I learnt a lot and this helped me to improve my communication skills and the ability to work independently. This has allowed me to gain more skills
Fascinating enjoyable worthwhike
Inclusive positive encouraging. I felt that my experience in bookselling was put to good use.
I was able to accept and receive advice and keep the customers satisfied.
Good but non-paid
I was a volunteer but for the work I did, I thought it was worth paying me. The chemicals we used to hurt my hands so I wish we got paid for it as they provided no protection.
Productive and Experiences
my time at Oxfam was an fun experience that has allowed to develop in myself. I was able to work with a different range of people which expanded my relationship and my communication skills.
Fun Workplace
Fun Work Place, learn loads and loads and loads some more , then funny enough learnt loads more ... nearly there ... .................................
Standard Retail Work
Workload is dependent on manager competence and volunteer availability. The work itself can be interesting and for the most part it is usually a quiet job.
Easy to work with as long as met the targets
Easy to work there but some of the problem solving needs improvement. Some managers are full of themselves, they don't think the volunteers have the brains, luck I had 1 shop manager she was a good listener and had working. But her successor was rude
Pros
Easy to work with, more diverse
Cons
Problem solving with some managers so rude
Productive, fun and very giving.
A typical day is like at any other retail outlet I presume, I worked on the till and the shop floor. This meant a lot of interactions with customers and I loved this because each interaction was different.
Good experience
I loved it here working has a volunteer I would go back if I could for 1 day a week but I'm always busy at the minute with my partner and my son has I look after them both.
Very good Voluntary Job Experience
Oxfam mad me feel very welcome while I was volunteering there for 3 months for dofe. I learned many skills such as communication and group work. The other workers were very friendly and I would recommend working at Oxfam. :)