Ovo Energy Employee Reviews

Inbound Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol5 July 2018
Very good company to work for, fun, modern, and moral. However the culture of OVO's management can often be difficult to understand.and adapt to. Ovo really i trying to be 'the good guy'.
Pros
great benefits, wage, free breakfast, ovo's culture
Cons
Very difficult job, high stress, scorecard 'goalposts' constantly changed assuring achievement is difficult.
Positive working environment, but little support from managerial staff
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol21 May 2018
I worked at OVO Energy for just over 4 months and left on my own accord, as the call centre environment was not right for me. During my time here I was impressed with the staff benefits such as free breakfast and little gifts around the Christmas period and Valentines Day. The salary was brilliant for me, having just finished university and wanting to save money for travelling and future prospects. There is a real sense of community at OVO which makes it a spirited place to work. Really friendly, youthful vibe around the office and every CSA was happy to help less experienced CSA's. However, I was generally disappointed with the job security in the sense that many of my capable colleagues were let go for unavoidable absences. OVO's policy is that if you are absent from work three times during your probation you will be let go, which I considered to be slightly unfair for people with legitimate reasons to be absent. In addition, we were offered little emotional support or preparation when dealing with abusive customers or difficult situations and so I feel as though the team leaders were not attentive enough.
Trying very hard
Care/TL (Current Employee) –  Bristol14 May 2018
Been here 3 years. In this time, I have managed to move up in role 3 times. Each time, this has been reversed within 3 months due to changing business needs.
I do not believe any of this is through any form of maliciousness - rather short sightedness through management gaining their positions due to previous rapid growth.
They do a lot of lip service to positive causes, however the shift is much more visible during my tenure - as every business - it is now about making money. Many of the employee focused benefits have been withdrawn.
Great time
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bromley, Greater London24 March 2018
Ovo was a flexible, inclusive and very progressive company to work for. They welcome your ideas and pride themselves on adapting to change. This suited my creative style when it came to managing my day
Pros
ability to take control of your day
Horrendous
Settlements technician (Former Employee) –  Bristol20 March 2018
Two-faced, backstabbing culture, avoid like the plague. The subsidised Friska in the lobby is a nice touch but it doesn't change the fact they try and crush your soul. The tree-house is a con
Head screwed on
Industry Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol14 March 2018
Excellent culture, fun but hard working. Everyone has a role to play and is a cog in the machine, and all are committed to the job at hand. Knowledgeable and competent individuals throughout the company.
Stimulating and supportive
Smart Outbound Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol12 February 2018
Very helpful people - all work very closely together to make sure customer is satisfied
Management always on hand and very happy to help with any queries.
Pros
free breakfast & coffee - half price cafe, fun meeting rooms
Cons
Job sometimes made difficult by less than up to date data
Pleasure to work there
QA Manager (Former Employee) –  Bristol UK25 September 2017
After nearly 5 years I had a great time working for a supportive company always willing to give opportunities and develop people. Great benefits and a fantastic social attitude.
Great culture
Customer Service Expert (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol3 September 2017
I love OVO. The company offers great perks, but you do need to work very hard. In return for the hard work you get free breakfast, an onsite gym, discounts across a wide variety of shops, and a lot more. If only it were a little closer to home, I'd consider staying.
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol1 September 2017
Loved working there. Everyone is very relaxed and approachable. The only slight problem I ran into there was there was a carrot dangled in front of employees. They really want you to develop and progress, but there was not much opportunity for you to progress. That in turn effected what you could make there, which is why I had to drop a star on the Salary/Benefits. If you are deemed 'Ovo' enough- a talkative, impressionable, young female- then progress will be quick for you. They value youth and malleability over experience, which sometimes hurt the company in my opinion. Otherwise the company is great; things actually got done and processes changed if needed. I never worked for a company that was that responsive to it's employees and customers equally.
Pros
free breakfast, fun, green, young people, tree house slide, benefits
Cons
carrot leading the donkey effect
Fun workplace with constant change
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol29 May 2017
It's fine, but it's not a career. It's the best contact centre I've worked in though. Fine if you need soemthing short term. The staff do care and try their best, but it's a growing company with those encumbant pains.
Productive and fast pace
Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 May 2017
A fast pace and hard working environment, I learned a lot about the energy industry, how to deal with difficult situations involving money and financial hardships. It is a very friendly environment.
Brilliant company
Social Media Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol4 May 2017
Loved working here - would recommend to anyone. Sad to have left (relocated). Perfect balance of getting things done for the customer and looking after staff
Good at first glance, Badly run poor management skills obvious after a few months.
Ovo Ambasador (Current Employee) –  West Midlands6 January 2017
At first glance this company has strong values and ethics. The management need more organisational skills and to be more forward thinking. On the other side my work colleagues are like a family all looking out for one another.
Pros
£60 costa cofee card each month
Cons
bad work life balance
Would recommend if you like working in a call centre
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol5 January 2017
Colleagues - nice and friendly.

Training - comprehensive.

Salary and benefits - starting 17,000, went up to 20,000 after 6 months. If cross trained (takes about 2 weeks extra) 22,000.
Lots of extra perks inc. on site gym, free breakfast and snacks, free party every month with theme, food and booze included.

Heavily Stats based. Your stats get shared with your team of 8-15 people. If you're not hitting the stats you get relieved quickly.

Conflicting agendas - OVO want you to spend time helping people use the website, which can take up to 40 minutes, and they also want you to reach a minimum of 40 contacts in 8 hours - very difficult.
Pros
Good salary, good benefits
Cons
heavily stats based. If you're not hitting stats you're fired - no security
Great team
Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol2 January 2017
OVO energy strives to be a great employer. They offer benefits such as free breakfast, subsidized meals and a benefits package.
However a lot of this is not usable for a part time employee.
My team are hard working and easy to get on with.
Management are flexible and willing to help at all times.
Can be fun but not very rewarding
Brand ambassador (Current Employee) –  West midlands8 December 2016
I work within the retail sales division (retail ambassador) management are terrible. Typical sales manager micro management techniques. They do not like to pay commissions. Decent job for young people who want around 20-24k you will not earn much higher than that really. The company has a lot more development to gain in supporting their sales reps
Good People to Work with
OVO Retail Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Gateshead19 November 2016
Great company, people are great, well trained, good values,Good Working life balance, happy place good pay and good amount of time off too
Pros
Free Costa Cards per month
Work hard, play hard!
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bristol16 September 2016
A great place to work with a diverse and fun staff. You are expected to work hard, but the environment in the workplace made this more than worth while.
A breath of fresh air
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Bristol18 August 2016
Fantastic company culture, really is a breath of fresh air within the energy industry!

Great wages and benefits, free breakfast and tea and coffee is provided to you. Your hours are set and your team leaders are always happy to help.

A company that genuinely wants to change things for the better!

IF that isn't enough, there is also a treehouse with a slide (and yes, you can go on it)!