Outdoor and Cycle Concepts

Outdoor and Cycle Concepts Employee Reviews

United Kingdom116 reviews
The ethos and culture at Cotswold is 2nd to none. The staff all have a passion for the outdoors and to help where possible.

Hours are good and flexible, as is training.

Downside is there can be an inner circle mentality throughout the company.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Highly in debt company can make made decisions
Zero support from management and the HR team are beyond appalling. No concept of employment law so expect to be screwed over at a moment's notice. Policies/procedures are not adhered to and they seem to think they are above the law. If you want to work for a decent company, with fair working conditions and an honest management/HR team, please look elsewhere and save yourself the heartache when they decide to turn on you. Currently they're busy ousting all the long-serving staff and replacing them with temps - says it all really.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Everything! No support, unnecessary stress, dishonest upper management.
Overall the place was great to work in, I had the time to learn about a range of different things while there. But you don't get any of the benefits till after six months of working there.
Managerial changes over the last 8 months of my time here effected my experience and enjoyment of the job.
No consideration for any members of staff in the Customer Service department, lack of pay and acknowledgement, no chance for progression in the job as all Team Leader and Managerial roles were recruited externally.

The team driven environment, which was one of the things I loved about the job, changed and the business became cost driven rather than customer focused due to cost cutting solutions which were put into place.

Managers made you feel like you were at school, and it became a very difficult place to work with no support given from any managers or team leaders.

Extremely disorganised department, with zero to no information being relayed to employees regarding business changes which highly effected the way in which we could sufficiently complete our roles as customer service advisers.

No respect given to any employees in the department by higher paid members of the company, and a complete disregard for any health and safety issues in the department's area of the building.
There are four companies within the Cotswold Outdoor retail group (now known as O&CC: Outdoor & Cycle Concepts). O&CC comprises Cotswold Outdoor, Snow & Rock, Cycle Surgery and Runners Need. I was working at the group Head Office in Kemble, mainly for Cotswold Outdoor. In addition to handling Special Orders across the group, I was also responsible for liaising with shops - mainly Cotswold Outdoor fascia - across the country, ensuring any Special Orders delivered to them for customers to collect arrived on time and without a hitch, following up orders and helping with queries. Some shops had monthly magazine deliveries to sell and I was responsible for co-ordinating the orders and checking the invoices from our supplier before handing them to the Account to department for payment. I was also responsible for goods that were returned, which needed to be accounted for checked, and sent to the relevant department according to the reason for return.
When we were busy all members of staff were also encouraged to help in different areas of the business at Head Office, such as Customer Services and the Warehouse. This meant that the company had maximum flexibility.

Like many retailers they have been going through a difficult financial period and staff were all under considerable pressure to come up with innovative time saving and efficiency ideas in order to try and avoid too many redundancies, which we all tried to do.

As part of the cost cutting across all fascia the company decided to reduce the Special Customer Orders section, encouraging customers to order online rather
 - more...
Fun place to work, good collegue and team. A little lack of cumunication and organisation with the manager team.
The store was short in stuff a lot of time.
Had great managers who were always really positive, i enjoy and use the kit we sell so made it easier to enjoy work. Good customers, nice to be selling something that the person actually wants for their own enjoyment.
I enjoyed the team work and co-operation among staff. People there are very friendly and helpful too. You are never under any pressure, however the co-ordination of the job makes you deliver fast. I miss Cotswold Outdoor.
My time at Cotswold Outdoors has allowed me develop real world skills to allow me to advance in my chosen career, this includes communication, Problem solving, Computer work and so on...
Id highly recommend it for anyone looking to do something within the public service industry or Outdoor Industry as the people you meet have incredible experiences to tell you about.
Too many managerial changes. Run as a cost driven business rather than a customer focused business, despite what is says on the tin.Difficult place to get to.
Pros
HO in beautiful part of the country
Cons
Long hours, no loyalty
No investment in key areas such as online business. Treat customers as disposable commodities and staff undervalued. You have to be a yes person to progress, and being bad at your job but saying the right thing to management will get to promoted. Seriously poorly led company, with horrendous senior management team who are not leaders.
Pros
Cons
Poor leadership
Been working there 3 years. Was not too bad on the begging but now I really not recommend to work there. Working like warehouse assistant and forklift driver
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
Bad Treating people
I have worked for O & C C for the last 4 years now, starting in one of their shops and from 2019 at their main office location in Gloucestershire. Being a keen outdoor enthusiast, I am very happy to be in a job relating directly to my spare time interests and the company seems to value people with backgrounds in the outdoor sports.

Although not possible to learn everyone's name on such a large site, people will always smile at me even if from a part of the business I wouldn't normally interact with. The company offers a good discount on staff purchases which I have made good use of on high end items I would normally think twice about buying.

The company values employees who want to stick around a while and in my experience, offers good mobility between roles and different departments. The are fields just over the road to take get some fresh air with a walk around at lunch times as well as running group and a weekly yoga session.

The company is keen to invest in people who show interesting in progressing their career.
Disorganisation at it's best. Efforts to improve are wasted due to good ideas being overlooked. Excellent employees are leaving because their ideas are not taken seriously. Ideas only seem to be accepted from above. Managers are promoted and external applicants are recruited to fill the gap. No chance of progression from the bottom.
Working in payroll is pressurised but there is a great team here. The office is fast paced and organised with a great atmosphere. the dress code is relaxed.
Very good Very friendly easy environment Hard working everybody knew what they was doing easy going overtime was available when or if u need it very good job
typical work day is very diverse in an ever changing retail market, your daily responsibilities vary from Visual Merchandising, launching weekly promos and campaigns. Driving sales through high performance team engagement and exceptional levels of customer service and client development. Processing daily deliveries and dealing with multiple products and brands.

Management are supportive but at times a bit disconnected from their stores. Head Office and stores very separated in terms of communication.

Work place culture is very good, working within the top outdoor company in the UK and working with the best outdoor brands on the market. Lots of engaging company activities provided through brand training courses.

Hardest part of the job is meeting extremely high expectations from head office working in a very challenging industry with low consumer confidence.

most enjoyable part of the job is assisting customers in selecting the right products for their needs by sharing my adventures and stories with them and my passion for the outdoors.
A great medium sized organisation. Clearly challenges internally and externally as it's a retail organisation. But great new Managing Director who's really making some great changes and trying to lead a management team in the right way - that's honest, collaborative and sustainable.

However, it's still a retail organisation, that does not have the best systems or benefits to support.

Although the pay is competitive; the pension, and wider benefits such as Mat and Per leave are basic, disappointing and old fashioned. Flexible working is encouraged and in head office, working from home is accepted, but the 40+ working hours a week is too much.
If you like a massive challenge then this is the place for you. The company has no strategy no future. There is a lack of progression, no space for salary improvements.
If you are not on board with the head of the company then you are pushed out. I have watched many talented people leave the company. There is no focus on anything.

Decisions have to go through committees and then are too late.

It is no wonder that the company is loosing money.

Departments are not collaborative so you end up with decisions in one department affecting another.
This company pays national wage, no incentive with no prospects, 10 years ago this was a good company to work for, good management, but now days this company has been poorly run by a poor management, there is a barrier between the warehouse and office staff
Rather be on job seekers than work for these idiots, filthy place, dust and cobwebs all over the stock, you got to wash clothes before you can wear it,
Pros
Non