Optical Express

Optical Express Employee Reviews

United Kingdom19 reviews
Had it none been for my great, supportive regional manager I would not have stayed here for any time. The owner was very judgemental and I left due to false accusations.
Pros
Cons
Christmas meals too far away.
In my 40 years of working I have never experienced such a bad manager. Attitude to staff was abysmal. Also talked about customers after they left shop. Bad language from her was also a big problem for me. Last straw was calling me an "f...ing nightmare" . My crime was losing my name badge. Also she made fun of the fact that I had a hearing disability..
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Despite achieving much more money than the previous year, the targets were based on conversions on people opting for eye surgery. However, the ones that wanted it but could not get credit went against me as a store manager. Additionally, the spectacle stock was barely acceptable for choice. Lens prices were absurd and even though I told the regional manager the position of the store and its appearance, he had no substance in his advice yet held me accountable. Absolutely no respect for the branch. it also closed shortly after I left as I predicted it would.
Pros
Cons
Endless
I worked at the Westfield head office as graduate accountant and it was the worst experience of my life! If i could rate it a -1 then I would. The environment is sexist, unfair, judgemental and comes with terrible cleanliness. I would not let my worst enemy work at the head office, as they describe you are the “bottom of the food chain” - their words not mines! Avoid at all costs no matter how desperate uou are!!!!
Cons
I was poached from my job at a luxury jewellers to become a clinic manager of one of the biggest clinics in the region.
The training was good and I got to go to a lot of locations and meet lots of people however, now I feel like this is done so you have a positive first few weeks in the company because if you were to stay in your own clinic you’d probably leave within a week! I was promoted very quickly but never received my pay rise the goal posts were constantly changed. During covid I became pregnant and I was made redundant because of this
Pros
Pay is ok
Cons
Totally unfair place to work
Management are rude & they treat you disgustingly. You get sworn at & shouted at. When you make a complaint about it, you get the blame. Bonus is constantly changed. If you make target & get a decent bonus, it changed the month after as they do not want to pay you. You get constantly shouted at off clients as the business is poorly ran. They constantly change and cancel surgery days the day before then expect clients to be happy about this
Although I enjoyed my role as a receptionist I very rarely had anything to do. I was so bored. The job was just not busy enough for me.
I worked with some lovely people in my clinic and the other clinics I worked at in my time with the company. They were the only reason I stayed as long as I did... 4 months. In that time lots of staff left or handed their notice in.

My OE Training with Hayley in Oxford was very good, she’s lovely and very supportive but other than the training I got from her my colleague and I were basically just left in our clinic and we learnt from working things out ourselves or by picking up the phone and asking from our Colleagues in Other clinics what to do. We had no manager in our clinic and felt very isolated.

The support from IT at Head Office was great when and if I needed it and I couldn’t fault them at all. I even emailed them on my last day at work to thank them for all their help when I worked there. They replied saying that’s so nice as we only ever get complaints!

As a company though I do think Optical Express need to not pester their patients with so many phone calls, it really does put them off coming in for their appointment or booking surgery.

The pay is very good.

I wasn’t told when I went for the job that we would have to do stocktake every last Saturday of the month and this always has to be done at the end of clinic. Sometimes we didn’t get out until gone 8pm... I didn’t want to be doing that every month as I do have a life!

I met some lovely people during my time at OE ( work friends and patients) and that was the
 - more...
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Not busy enough for me
There is a ruthless sales culture where you are encourage not to let the truth get in the way of a sale. There was under staffing where people were doing two or three peoples jobs. In some practices there is a strong culture of bullying. I would not be a manager because they keep on changing the goal posts. The stories of the staff do would make a sailor blush. Psychopathic company.
Pros
Reduced price laser surgery
Cons
No job security.
False promises
Pay Is bad

Management expect you to kill your self!

No family life/ work balance

Coincidence there are loads of openings? Staff turn around is manic all over the business.

It may seem amazing to start off with but proceed with caution!!
Pros
The patients
Cons
Management and higher! Horrible hours
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Optical Express?
Absolutely no consideration for new employees that need training and help. Some staff were very helpful others were rude and unprofessional. Avoid at all cost.
Pros
Discount after a few months
Cons
Unhelpful, rude staff with no respect for management
Good job for work experience. Seems good place to work at and overall nice working atmosphere within the company, only went here for work experience when at school.
Friendly staff, patients are what makes your day, friendly patients - without them there would be no job, The company directors had no clue on how to run a dental practice - hence they closed this branch and many more.
Did not feel like I was valued. Was treated like a servant as opposed to a dental nurse. The management was terrible. The money wasn't very good.
I have been with Optical Express working in their Retail side of the business for over 3 years now and have has 2 promotions and a pay rise since starting. I am still working with the same people I did years ago and have got to know everyone in the business pretty well. Sometimes it is long hours, but overall the rewards reflect the hard work that is put in. I really enjoy our Patients and meeting new people but most of all I love working for a Global company that has so many career opportunities.
Pros
Career Progression, People, Benefits and Working Conditions
Cons
Sometimes Long hours in Retail but the benefits are worth it.
worst company i ever worked for. No consideration for any of the staff. All treated like dirt
enjoyed working in a sales environment. didn't have a supportive management team. but enjoyed selling a product that could dramatically change someones life.
Pros
bonuses
Cons
bonuses made it less of a team
working with optical express has benefited me by gaining confidence
a typical day would be setting up the practice ready for the day.I learned a lot from working with different specialist who flew in weekly from all parts of the world.I saw a lot of people from all walks of life.The management was okay but not up standard in terms of flexibility and looking after staff, since it was a big cooperate company not everything was up to standard.I had very lovely co-workers some of them became friends.The hardest part was when equipment failed and we had to lose a day s takings that was always a blow for the business.I enjoyed the lovely patients we had some where tourist and some celebrities too.
Pros
na
Cons
na
serving customer and helping Optician.
Doing general housekeeping and filing, getting shop ready for the next day.

I have learned about various eye symptoms

I get on well with my co-workers
Pros
local