Openreach Employee Reviews

Exciting and rewarding work
Superfast Broadband Programme Manager (Current Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk6 November 2018
Happy to share my experience of working for Openreach and the BT Group over the last 35+ years. Send me a message for more information if you'd like my personal views on this.
Good Long Term Employer
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Liverpool6 November 2018
Overall a good place to work. Offers security and good pay and benefits.
Working in a heavily regulated industry does mean that decisions are taken out of your employers hands at times.
Pros
Good Work Life Balance
Cons
Can be just a number sometimes
Cutting edge technology
Network Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol5 November 2018
Gives you a buzz working with cutting edge technology. Large support team of technical professions, so gives the benefits of shared knowlege and experiences.
Pros
Fair rewards package
Progressive company
Pole Tester (Current Employee) –  King's Lynn19 September 2018
Typical day is 9 hours with a 4 day working pattern. Constant training updates and Courses keep me updated for my job. I have regular contact with my line manager. The weather does sometimes make the job more difficult, but being outside has it plus points.
Job role
engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London29 August 2018
My role at Openreach was a field engineer. This involved climbing telegraph poles to refit telephone lines,fault finding,working in the underground network.
A day as a manager with Openreach
Operational Manager (Former Employee) –  London14 August 2018
Time management is essential that your day is planned from week to week, ensure the important tasks are completed first, such as health and safety. each day needs to start with a planned outlook for the day what is required for that day what can be moved to the afternoon or the next day and what needs to be addressed immediately.
Not a bad place to start
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  London12 August 2018
A typical day is pick up 3 jobs and be hounded to do more throughout the day whilst others are left alone to do the bare minimum

I learned how to install, repair and maintain the countries telephony and fibre infrastructure.

Management was always at the top performers to do more and the lesser performers were just accepted as low performers, these low performers would eventually become managers themselves

Hardest part of the job was getting the support you needed on some tasks due to time con-straightens and pressure to do more

Most enjoyable part was the lodge loans where I was able to travel the country and see places I would never normally see.
Productive and fun workplace
Frames Engineer (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 July 2018
Excellent place to work with a very friendly atmosphere. Excellent training facilities and future job opportunities. All staff and management very helpful and friendly.
Personally not appreciated.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Midlands Region1 July 2018
The culture among the engineers is fantastic and everyone helps each other.
Some managers tend to be graduates with little experience, especially of the telecoms industry.
Going to work more of a pleasure than a chore.
Pros
Cons
Management Ethics
Openreach were fantastic
Customer Service Engineer, (Permanent) (Former Employee) –  Essex28 June 2018
Excellent team spirit and small touches like one time the CEO Liv Garfield received positive feedback from customer and awarded me with the latest I PHONE. The salary was not fantastic however the autonomy was refreshing in that I managed my jobs day to day with little need of input from my line manager who was great and very very supportive
Pros
Fantastic team spirit
Cons
low pay
ok
Underground Cable Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oban24 June 2018
was very good experience on work sites throughout scotland, 12 hour days, 6 days on and 7 off. had agreat time working with openreach would always be open to a return.
interesting
field engineer (Former Employee) –  Scotland30 April 2018
intresting job to do on a daily basie never the same problem twice, however when you do encounter any problems there is not enought time allocated to complet said task causing a snowball effect on your preformance rateings which managment then pull you into office for also sending you jobs knowing that you do not possese the skill set to complete the job. the enginners you work alongside in your team are more than willing to help out tho
Pros
decent pay
Cons
not enough time allocated to complete tasks
well paid
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands23 April 2018
best job ever, self employed so working without a manager onsite, you got to manage yourself, have your brake whenever you want as long as the jobs get done
productive
Shadowed a key member of staff (Former Employee) –  Bloomsbury/ judd st23 April 2018
extremely friendly and informative, great experience would happily work for them in the future as i learned and progressed so much while working alongside there managers!
Pros
all
openreach
NE2 Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 April 2018
good company to work for but not much chance to grow and progress, a typical day will consist of fault finding and or installation work, job can be lonely, but equally rewarding.
non educated managers
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scotland24 March 2018
all about targets, don't care about employees well being at all, non educated managers with no education, are all corrupt as they are all been best friends within their little circle for 30+yr, no motivation, never appraised.
Pros
a van
Cons
management
Producutive and fun place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeenshire13 March 2018
Great company to work for.
Work colleagues are great, always help you if you need help.
Manager is great, always there to listen, help, advice and sort any problems you have.
not all bad
Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  South East Scotland2 March 2018
all efforts are put into productivity and can be too stats driven by senior managers, remote working can sometimes be an issue when working on complex jobs, get through a decent amount of work and the managers wont bother you
Pros
good wage for what you actually do
Cons
pressure from above
good job poor management
Fibre Optic Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northampton28 February 2018
was a good job at 1st just got worse and worse managers not having a clue always on conference calls never sorting anything out for you planning was shocking aswell never right 1st time
Pros
easy job
Cons
management
Great job but gets silly on occasions
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire13 February 2018
I have worked for BT/Openreach for 20years and I must admit it has got worse, but still a great job if you don’t take any notice of the silly stats which really don’t mean anything 90% of the time as most of it is out of your control, I work a 4day week 36hrs and then overtime so can easily earn 40k a year.
It really annoys me of that they do mess so many jobs up and don’t spend the money on the network in the right places but maybe there is a bigger picture they don’t want us to notice.
Some managers are complete idiots and ain’t got a clue but some are ok and treat you like a human being.
Take away the stats that don’t mean anything get rid of the deadwood managers and fix what we say needs fixing and it would be a much better place to work.
But over all it is alright.
Pros
Can earn good money if you put some overtime in
Cons
Useless stats and don’t spend the money where needed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Openreach. Our community is ready to answer.