Openreach Employee Reviews

Very good
Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 February 2018
Very good job. Great benefits excellent package. Great working environment. Supportive employer. Great teamwork. Excellent pension arrangements. Good social life arranged through the employer
typical day
telecoms engineer installing and repairing phone (Former Employee) –  Herefordshire5 February 2018
fixing telephone and broadband at different locations across a wide area,customer facing making the best decisions on the a range of different faults and installs
Oppressive nitpicking with poor support.
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  East Anglia2 February 2018
Every second of the day and every movement you make is tracked on the iPhone or van tracker - management will question everything that you have done and how long it took. The job times are too short for the amount of work needed. Little if any help, support or training is given once you finish your initial training. If you do get additional training it's likely to be computer based and in your own time. Team meetings happen every two - three months, so team contact is rare, and again this is often held outside of contract hours. The Company will invoke contractual over time and force staff to work extra shifts when its busy. Management is oppressive, unsupportive and have reduced everything to a stats spreadsheet culture.
I would not recommend Openreach as a place to work.
Pros
unsure what to say!
Cons
little chance of advancment
Disorganised, stressful place to work
Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Penrith24 January 2018
Working at Openreach is frustrating. I am keen to do a good job, always, and management is not interested in me doing this. The only agenda is hitting targets and the customer certainly does not come first. The tooling and equipment is sub standard and again, they are not interested in improving this. process' are slow and inefficient, and to make things worse, health and safety restrictions slow us down whilst we are pushed to do more work, meaning stressful days are all too common. although pro's are getting to see beautiful properties and meet interesting people. Drive around and work in scenic landscapes and be out and about.
Pros
Development is there and being out and about is nice.
Cons
Stressful, slow, disorganised
Management Structure, Standardisation and Focus is the worst I have seen
Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 January 2018
I have worked for BT Openreach for nearly 5 years and whilst the role of telecoms engineer is good. The management and resourcing is absolutely appalling. Some I have come across lack people skills and will bully if the stats are below average, I know of many engineers who are stressed.

Many situations I have felt I have not had the support with regards to training, stores and departments not communicating with each other and when I asked for extra training at the start I was made to feel incapable and had low expectations and at one point the company was trying to manage me out after 6 months of being recruited which left a stigma.

The stats are a big problem in this company because the focus moves away from preventable maintainance of the cooper network meaning its difficult to get the balance right between efficiency and quality. This also breeds competitiveness and pits managers against each other to get the best stats when so many different factors come into play which are not physically capable by a human.

I cannot say that I trust the management and the direction of the business isn't clear at low level. They're not interested in the customer or area and departments sit on work such as planning new plant in the area. Its an unstructured environment which needs to go back to the drawing board and really focus on preventing maintenance on the copper network rather than trying to save money and maximise profit and rather than using the stats to justify their shortcomings against the engineer!
Pros
Wages, Customer Facing, Fleet
Cons
Aggressive Management, lack of support, Stress, blame culture
professional place
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2018
very noisy in a good way lots of work taking place in a common language, lots of professionals and intelligent persons, always helpful, a feeling of belonging
Pros
very knowledgable
Cons
can be long working days
Once a great company
systems enhancement engineer (Former Employee) –  Chatham & london9 January 2018
everyone i met was generally disillusioned although pleasant enough.
the exchanges are filthy & no individual is responsible for them therfore no one cares about them.
there are no facility to make a hot drink i had to take in my own kettle cup milk & water -
its a very depressing environment to work in.

I didn't learn anything, I was working on IDC blocks that were 20-40 years old, hardly high tech, fortunately i was able to use my skills & ability's gained over the years to complete the work, as the training given to me wasn't relevant to the type of work they required...

i wouldn't work for them again , i wasn't appreciated, my boss although pleasant had no time for me personally - it was just email me when you've finished that job & ill email you the next...
Pros
travel around
Cons
dont pay travel - exchanges are filthy & No one takes responsibility for them
Ups and Downs
Fibre Network Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh9 January 2018
Worked very hard with a lot of micromanagement in place. Managers are often overrun with work which can result in the same effect on team members. Little room to exercise engineering creativity.
Good environment
Cabling Engineer (Former Employee) –  Scotland9 January 2018
Typical factory environment, always good fun to be had as well as hard work.
Good company to work For, quite understand in most cases if need be.
Shifts can intrude personal life.
good nice small company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Harpenden, Hertfordshire7 January 2018
good nice company, with a nice team.
management friendly with weekly meetings.
pay not great,
Normal day will be checking emails speaking with customer over the phone or email trying to fix any problems they may have.
Pros
9to 5
Cons
low wages
Good Company
Head of Data, Analytics & Insight (Current Employee) –  Southampton, Hampshire3 January 2018
Nice people and a lot of opportunity however a little set in their ways. Good work life balance and very flexible.
learnt a lot as its a very complex business that has a lot more to it than meets the eye.
Progressive, forward thinking company
Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Dartford, Kent2 January 2018
I will typically start work at 9am (through choice as I could start earlier or later). I will typically have meetings over the phone regarding the projects I am currently working on. I have the freedom to work from where I choose and when and where I meet people on a face to face basis. The culture in the offices I work in is relaxed but professional with the staff knowing what is required of them.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Distance from home
Treated like a three year old no advancement opportunities
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cumbria2 January 2018
Good job to start with but became a money operation engineers are not allowed to the job properly only putting sticking plasters over a network that needs alot off investment ie replacing worn put cables that cant carry the superfast broadband service
Cons
Long hrs not getting paid for them
everyday was different
Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Southampton13 December 2017
enjoyable job but no reward for hard work or progression opportunities.
to install repair and maintain telecommunication networks from exchange to customers property.
Good Company to work for
Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 December 2017
My experience with this company was good, intranet system has wealth CPD programmes, personal development opportunities, employees have the ability to work on their own initiative to set goals and targets to progress within the company,
However Field engineering resources are under valued in comparison to other industries, structured growth for field engineering staff are limited as opposed to past growth into higher engineering grades and structured career development with levels of experience gained and years of service.
Pros
good pension and health care
Cons
Egineering Scope Restricted within field engineering, compared to company history
work place
OM (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear4 December 2017
a good company to work for but you must be committed 100%. if you are not on top of you work it can spiral out of control. however there is always lots of support on hand
Challenging but rewarding
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  York21 November 2017
An Operations Manager role within Openreach is very demanding. The main focus of the role is to manage a team - coaching and maintaining service levels against quality and productivity. You are also expected to know the detail around your operation and be able to manage both upstream and downstream. Strong customer focus underpins all work
Pros
Opportunity to develop a career
Cons
work life balance becoming more challenging
Typical Day
Customer Service Engineer EIN (Former Employee) –  England, UK4 November 2017
Leave home and arrive onsite at my first job before my 8;30 start,
My Day could be lots of small jobs or a big installation job that lasts from 1 to 5 days. Management always sportful and helpful.
The culture in the workplace is good.
Dealing with awkward customers, but always good calming them down and getting them to realize you are there to help them.
Getting a handshake from a difficult customer and a thank you for sorting things out
overall good
Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  croydon26 October 2017
overall good to work for but not challenging enough and felt there was no way to progress with my career. had a good time and met a few good friends..
Lone working
Multi Skilled Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London25 October 2017
A good job for young people. Once you get to 30 the money isn’t enough.
4 day week which was nice. Not enough training for their new people, as a result it’s left to the long serving engineers to Sort out all the problems.