Openreach

Openreach Employee Reviews

United Kingdom314 reviews
I left due to needing a change , and took early retirement .also took a break from may 2017 till November 2017 as going on planned holiday and did now want to start work then say going on holiday
If you want to spend your day being badgered by a manager who doesn't even know how to do your job, then welcome to BT/Openreach.
Should you have any time off for sick, you can welcome weekly phone calls demanding to know when you'll be back in the workstack. If the sick is for an injury or medical procedure, you will not be given light duties when you return, but put straight back into the usual day to day.

If you want to climb the ladder at BT, the only one you'll go up, is leaned against a pole. Your choices are engineer or nothing. Level 1 managers are no more than a whipping boy for higher management.

And best of all, if you take long term sick, and you have any grievances going against you, the company will happily carry these out, even though they're supposed to be dealt with while you actually within the company doors.

And god forbid you should ever suffer from Stress or Depression (or worse). Your manager will actually tell you he thinks you make it out to be worse than it is.
Pros
Free van and tools
Cons
Bad management, no progression opportunities.
Openreach was a great place to work. Plenty of opportunities for overtime of wanted and great variety in the work you do everyday. You are never in one location. The work was very technical but also extremely interesting. Very good towards understanding with family emergencies and children
Pros
Variety in working days, outdoors
Cons
Management, stressful
A company that doesn’t trust its most important asset, it’s engineers which speaks volumes.
A company that will brainwash you in to believing there is no better company to work for.

A company that claims to have its staffs interest at heart but you’re nothing more than a number on the spread sheet.

A communications company that can’t communicate with its own employees.

A company that gives new recruiters inadequate training just to rush them through to try & make a quick buck.

A company that resembles a contractor company more & more every day.

The job itself is a good job, it’s the people higher up the chain who don’t know how to do the engineering job other than what it says on their clipboard that make it an unpleasant company to be part of.

Use the company as a stepping stone to finding something better elsewhere, after 30+ years I’ve seen many changes & in its current state it’s at its least appealing & early retirement is a real hope.

Management has a bullying culture which filters down through the chain of command by spineless “yes men/women”. Emails get sent late at night because there’s too much work for a manager to do in their normal contracted hours & they can’t do their jobs because of it.

If you come on as an engineer & park your van at home, you have to give the company 1 hour of your time at the start & end of day unpaid (10 hours/week, 520/hours (minus leave entitlement) a year for free) & you have to charge everything up drills, laptop, batteries etc using your own electricity.

Expect to have to work between 12-16 Saturdays a year, you didn’t
 - more...
Pros
Clothing, tools, vehicle, fellow workers
Cons
Bullying, lack of trust, pressure, gaslighting, inadequate training
London centric and ignores talent outside of London. Management don't give support to personal circumstances nor support individual goals and only pursue corporate strategy regardless of impact to employees.
Pros
Cons
Long Hours, no support
Fast paced in some teams, not in others.
Every day is different - positive.

Collaborative culture - positive.

Getting things done and approved can take time - processes can be complex to navigate, unnecessarily so at times.
A typical day of work at Openreach was either boring or high pressure either ends.High Pressure would last upto 4 hours which would typically occur when there was a batch failure because of which the work would be stalled and that needed to completed by staying up late at night.
I’ve worked for Openreach for about a year now. The job can be stressful at the start but that only because your learning on the job but there is always someone at the end of the phone to help if your stuck
Pros
Benefits, van, support
Cons
Busy challenging ...................Blue chip comprehensive training ".....great teamwork. Business continually improving high quality, safety at the forefront
Benefits
Cons
Travel
Well organised and given time to complete your work as required so the work is done correctly without stress Managers approachable and everyone is an equal.
I worked for openreach 15 years then i took 11 months pay to leave some managers where nasty but a lot where good started in the field nice in summer but winter its cold but you do get all your cloths and tools van
Very poorly managed at all levels. no care or respect shown from management of all levels.
job itself is quite enjoyable and varied.

good to be out working with customers
Pros
good working hours
Cons
management
Didn't meet manager until first day (others did the interview). Manager also had a half day and left me to set up systems etc. Manager very stats driven and not a good people person. Actual team members are great and made me feel welcome. Job is good and I've picked it up quickly. Unfortunately, manager is not easy to work with, so I have to move on.
Would highly recommend openreach as a place to work.

Cant speak for everyone but I have had a great experience working for this company.

Once you are trained and competent you will love the job
Very good and enjoyable working experience. A fast paced and dynamic part of the BT Group. Change is happening and their is lots of investment for new project
Openreach could be so much better. Managed as badly as any company I've known and they treat engineers so badly. Disgusting way of looking at mental health, they do not care what you're going through and offer no support.
Pros
You get a van
Cons
Everything else.
Shaping how the UK build the next generation fibre network. Can be fast paced and pressured in certain areas as we build fibre infrastructure in line with government guidelines.
I have worked here for 7 years after the Army. It is working as a Team just like the Army and a lot of my colleagues are ex Military. The pay is good and the hours are as per your contract that you are on- you are not forced to work over as company has flexible working. The pension is ok for a company nowadays it is up to you if you want to pay more into it then getting a bigger pension at the end. My manager is good, I have had 6 since I have been here with only 1 being not much to my liking but that is probability for you. The company keeps me well informed about things happening and I have a good home life. Everything is provided for me. I work outside and love it. Work hard and play hard.
Pros
lots of benefits associated with company like shares, free broadband and more
Cons
out in the winter snow but that is the job
Be where you should be cover your actions and trust nobody. You are tracked on your van and phone and PC. Be where you are supposed to be doing what you should be doing and dont have a relationship failure that makes you break the rules as they will sack you
Pros
Pay and team sprit
Cons
Management who look after themselves
A good place to work where you will get the rewards from working hard. It can be stressful but line management are fully supportive and you can feel free to air how you are felling, not feeling awkward about doing so.
Good salary and benefits Eg phone I termed mobile tv
The pension could be better though

Management are target orientation

Ps the job takes as long as it takes ?

So why have a time limit??