Openreach Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to start
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  London12 August 2018
A typical day is pick up 3 jobs and be hounded to do more throughout the day whilst others are left alone to do the bare minimum

I learned how to install, repair and maintain the countries telephony and fibre infrastructure.

Management was always at the top performers to do more and the lesser performers were just accepted as low performers, these low performers would eventually become managers themselves

Hardest part of the job was getting the support you needed on some tasks due to time con-straightens and pressure to do more

Most enjoyable part was the lodge loans where I was able to travel the country and see places I would never normally see.
Productive and fun workplace
Frames Engineer (Former Employee) –  Scotland24 July 2018
Excellent place to work with a very friendly atmosphere. Excellent training facilities and future job opportunities. All staff and management very helpful and friendly.
Personally not appreciated.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Midlands Region1 July 2018
The culture among the engineers is fantastic and everyone helps each other.
Some managers tend to be graduates with little experience, especially of the telecoms industry.
Going to work more of a pleasure than a chore.
Pros
Cons
Management Ethics
Openreach were fantastic
Customer Service Engineer, (Permanent) (Former Employee) –  Essex28 June 2018
Excellent team spirit and small touches like one time the CEO Liv Garfield received positive feedback from customer and awarded me with the latest I PHONE. The salary was not fantastic however the autonomy was refreshing in that I managed my jobs day to day with little need of input from my line manager who was great and very very supportive
Pros
Fantastic team spirit
Cons
low pay
ok
Underground Cable Engineer (Former Employee) –  Oban24 June 2018
was very good experience on work sites throughout scotland, 12 hour days, 6 days on and 7 off. had agreat time working with openreach would always be open to a return.
interesting
field engineer (Former Employee) –  Scotland30 April 2018
intresting job to do on a daily basie never the same problem twice, however when you do encounter any problems there is not enought time allocated to complet said task causing a snowball effect on your preformance rateings which managment then pull you into office for also sending you jobs knowing that you do not possese the skill set to complete the job. the enginners you work alongside in your team are more than willing to help out tho
Pros
decent pay
Cons
not enough time allocated to complete tasks
well paid
Telecommunications Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Midlands23 April 2018
best job ever, self employed so working without a manager onsite, you got to manage yourself, have your brake whenever you want as long as the jobs get done
productive
Shadowed a key member of staff (Former Employee) –  Bloomsbury/ judd st23 April 2018
extremely friendly and informative, great experience would happily work for them in the future as i learned and progressed so much while working alongside there managers!
Pros
all
openreach
NE2 Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Swindon, Wiltshire9 April 2018
good company to work for but not much chance to grow and progress, a typical day will consist of fault finding and or installation work, job can be lonely, but equally rewarding.
non educated managers
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scotland24 March 2018
all about targets, don't care about employees well being at all, non educated managers with no education, are all corrupt as they are all been best friends within their little circle for 30+yr, no motivation, never appraised.
Pros
a van
Cons
management
Producutive and fun place to work
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aberdeenshire13 March 2018
Great company to work for.
Work colleagues are great, always help you if you need help.
Manager is great, always there to listen, help, advice and sort any problems you have.
not all bad
Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  South East Scotland2 March 2018
all efforts are put into productivity and can be too stats driven by senior managers, remote working can sometimes be an issue when working on complex jobs, get through a decent amount of work and the managers wont bother you
Pros
good wage for what you actually do
Cons
pressure from above
good job poor management
Fibre Optic Engineer (Current Employee) –  Northampton28 February 2018
was a good job at 1st just got worse and worse managers not having a clue always on conference calls never sorting anything out for you planning was shocking aswell never right 1st time
Pros
easy job
Cons
management
Great job but gets silly on occasions
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, Cambridgeshire13 February 2018
I have worked for BT/Openreach for 20years and I must admit it has got worse, but still a great job if you don’t take any notice of the silly stats which really don’t mean anything 90% of the time as most of it is out of your control, I work a 4day week 36hrs and then overtime so can easily earn 40k a year.
It really annoys me of that they do mess so many jobs up and don’t spend the money on the network in the right places but maybe there is a bigger picture they don’t want us to notice.
Some managers are complete idiots and ain’t got a clue but some are ok and treat you like a human being.
Take away the stats that don’t mean anything get rid of the deadwood managers and fix what we say needs fixing and it would be a much better place to work.
But over all it is alright.
Pros
Can earn good money if you put some overtime in
Cons
Useless stats and don’t spend the money where needed
Very good
Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 February 2018
Very good job. Great benefits excellent package. Great working environment. Supportive employer. Great teamwork. Excellent pension arrangements. Good social life arranged through the employer
typical day
telecoms engineer installing and repairing phone (Former Employee) –  Herefordshire5 February 2018
fixing telephone and broadband at different locations across a wide area,customer facing making the best decisions on the a range of different faults and installs
Oppressive nitpicking with poor support.
Customer Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  East Anglia2 February 2018
Every second of the day and every movement you make is tracked on the iPhone or van tracker - management will question everything that you have done and how long it took. The job times are too short for the amount of work needed. Little if any help, support or training is given once you finish your initial training. If you do get additional training it's likely to be computer based and in your own time. Team meetings happen every two - three months, so team contact is rare, and again this is often held outside of contract hours. The Company will invoke contractual over time and force staff to work extra shifts when its busy. Management is oppressive, unsupportive and have reduced everything to a stats spreadsheet culture.
I would not recommend Openreach as a place to work.
Pros
unsure what to say!
Cons
little chance of advancment
Disorganised, stressful place to work
Telecommunications Engineer (Current Employee) –  Penrith24 January 2018
Working at Openreach is frustrating. I am keen to do a good job, always, and management is not interested in me doing this. The only agenda is hitting targets and the customer certainly does not come first. The tooling and equipment is sub standard and again, they are not interested in improving this. process' are slow and inefficient, and to make things worse, health and safety restrictions slow us down whilst we are pushed to do more work, meaning stressful days are all too common. although pro's are getting to see beautiful properties and meet interesting people. Drive around and work in scenic landscapes and be out and about.
Pros
Development is there and being out and about is nice.
Cons
Stressful, slow, disorganised
Management Structure, Standardisation and Focus is the worst I have seen
Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol23 January 2018
I have worked for BT Openreach for nearly 5 years and whilst the role of telecoms engineer is good. The management and resourcing is absolutely appalling. Some I have come across lack people skills and will bully if the stats are below average, I know of many engineers who are stressed.

Many situations I have felt I have not had the support with regards to training, stores and departments not communicating with each other and when I asked for extra training at the start I was made to feel incapable and had low expectations and at one point the company was trying to manage me out after 6 months of being recruited which left a stigma.

The stats are a big problem in this company because the focus moves away from preventable maintainance of the cooper network meaning its difficult to get the balance right between efficiency and quality. This also breeds competitiveness and pits managers against each other to get the best stats when so many different factors come into play which are not physically capable by a human.

I cannot say that I trust the management and the direction of the business isn't clear at low level. They're not interested in the customer or area and departments sit on work such as planning new plant in the area. Its an unstructured environment which needs to go back to the drawing board and really focus on preventing maintenance on the copper network rather than trying to save money and maximise profit and rather than using the stats to justify their shortcomings against the engineer!
Pros
Wages, Customer Facing, Fleet
Cons
Aggressive Management, lack of support, Stress, blame culture
professional place
Technical Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 January 2018
very noisy in a good way lots of work taking place in a common language, lots of professionals and intelligent persons, always helpful, a feeling of belonging
Pros
very knowledgable
Cons
can be long working days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Openreach. Our community is ready to answer.