One Stop Stores Employee Reviews

too many hours, too little reward, credit or recognition
CSA (Current Employee) –  Dorset23 May 2019
Despite being on a p/t contract, once you are in you end up with 30 - to 40 hours per week at least, being called in at all hours to cover other people. The work is physically hard and demanding, working a 2 people shift and trying to get everything done is not always possible, The management are introducing new working policies, whilst understandable, do not help with their introduction of 2 hours additional work per shift which is already pretty unmanageable. Staff are very unhappy and turnover of staff is appalling.
Pros
Tesco benefits
Cons
Long hours, too much strain and stress
Awful, disgusting company
Shift manager (Former Employee) –  Mansfield21 May 2019
Onestop is easily THE worst company I've ever worked for. I worked at the one on woodhouse road in Mansfield, and if you've ever been in there you'll know why it's so awful. I wasted over two years of my life here, working like a dog and getting nothing in return but constant backstabbing. The shop is a diseased cesspit of despair, and I mean literally diseased, by a rat infestion that was reported again and again but because headoffice/management are so incompetent it took months for someone to come and even have a look at the situation. There was rat droppings everywhere, on the stock, kitchen area, floors etc so we was all at severe risk of getting a disease, but Onestop doesn't care at all about their staff, no all they cares about was how the shop looked to customers. The area manager is beyond useless, all he would do is come in and despite all the major issues we had constantly, all he cared about is whether tins were straight on the shelf or not.. I'm being serious here, the shop could be on fire and he couldn't care less but if a tin of ravioli isn't straight.... Once the shop got broken into, through the back security door, which had been broken for a long time, to the point you could actually pull the bricks out, and again numerous reports were made and nothing. But when someone finally came to fix, sorry, "FIX" it, out of everything they could've used, they used..get ready... Exoanding foam...EXPANDING...FOAM. I'm not am expert but you might as well have used bluetack. The aircon in the shop is always broken. During heatwaves it never worked so the temperature in  more... the shop would sometimes exceed 30degrees, which was unbareable. But of course Onestop being absolutely useless at everything , nothing was done. I could go on foreved but there aren't enough words to describe the awfulness of working here. Working here has genuinely given me severe depression which I'm still on medication for, so please if you value your life and mental wellbeing, stay away.  less
Pros
Ermm...death?
Cons
Need I say more?
Laughable
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highbridge, Somerset7 May 2019
Job description is laughable complete opposite to the existing staff, rude to customers, refusal to serve customers without a valid reason, and thrive on the abuse of power.
Pros
Cons
Angry customers cause of rude staff
Not a good place to work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Beccles, Suffolk6 May 2019
I work for onestop for a long time those it was ok at the Beginning the last few years it got to be a horrible place to work.
Poor management and staff not treated the same the by the manager he had his favourites and you new it .
I was a full time worker and the manager wanted me out as I was made to feel I was being pushed out of my job by him and other staff too,
I was put on just working the late shifts 3-11pm , no one listens to you as I brought this up with the area manager she couldn’t be bothered to deal with it.
And the people partner ( HR ) are no better just not helpful.
I got treated badly after all those years of being loyal to the company.
Pros
Tesco 20% discount card
Cons
Night shifts, poor management and area management, staff treated differently.
Careless and inconsiderate
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire2 May 2019
Awful management and inconsiderate staff.
Would not let anyone i know work for them, collegues are rude and unhekpful. Everyone (including manager) is selfish. I was injured and still asked to stack large bottles of water.... even though i had a sick note!!!! Staff are made to feel guilty if they cant cover a shift and are also made to feel worthless if they cant get in. You could be in the worst situation and they still wont take no for an answer.
Even if you book of holiday they will still put you down for those days then ask where you are. You can tell the manager your in fatal conditions and they will still ask if you can come in for a 6-10 shift.
Good luck.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Too many to say
Avoid them
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire30 April 2019
From terrible area manager's to your face has to fit or you have to be related then your good. Please avoid this company they are so unprofessional in every way. Disciplinarys daily back stabbing manager's who have there relatives working in the same shops. Unsafe working conditions and breaking lots of health and safety rules. Fresh food hit and miss if you get any to put out and unrealistic work expectations. Please avoid at all costs it will drag you down.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional
Customer service assistant role (Former Employee) –  Northampton24 April 2019
Good place to work, good environment with good staff. Some staff members werent so comfortable being shown up by younger staff doing a better job than themselves however. The company itsself was good to work for and I would recommend.
Terrible but good pay
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands24 April 2019
Terrible managements and lazy staff.
Constantly threatened with my job if I dared speak up about other staff members.
Area Managers didn't care either.
Laziness all around. They only care as long as they don't lose money.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything Else
Hard work but you only advance of your face fits
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire23 April 2019
As a store manager you are expected to deliver more and more with fewer resources. The salary is low for the position and bonus targets are impossible
Pros
Free tea and coffee
Cons
Long hours, no support from higher up.
Long but rewarding
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Pudsey17 April 2019
Whilst working at one stop I learnt a lot of life skills to help me in my future career choices, this included communication skills as I became more confident whilst greeting customers. As well as this my skills working on the till became very strong. The hardest part was the long hours as I was doing 8 hour shifts however the colleagues were really nice to work alongside so time passed quickly.
Pros
Colleagues
Poor company
Customer Sales Assistant/ Shift manager (Step up) (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, Nottinghamshire16 April 2019
Bullying by management, low wages, no chance of moving up in the company unless you are “in with the bosses”

If you have a grievance, then it will be ignored.

Avoid this company at all cost
Pros
Tesco discount card
Cons
Long hours, customer service poor
Avoid working here!
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelmsford13 April 2019
The place runs on only 2 staff per shift and if you’re face doesn’t fit then you’re always left out. Management and so called step ups sit in the office and let the csa do everything! You get a 20 min break even if you’re on a 9 hour shift! But if you smoke you get cigarettes breaks which you’re not supposed to get! And don’t try and phone in sick if you’re ill! You get bullied into working! Worst job ever
waste of time
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff City, Cardiff9 April 2019
worked for One Stop for two long years to be unfairly dismissed because my manager didn’t like me, the company is full of bullies. don’t get paid enough for what you do and when you do everything that’s asked of you, you get no thanks in return. lucky enough to either get a five minute break on a 9 hour shift. DONT waste your time, any other company is better than this one.
Pros
co workers
Cons
management
Not bad
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basildon25 March 2019
When I worked at onestop Pitsea I worked from 5am till 3pm with only a 20 minute break. I worked 6 to 7 days a week and didn’t get paid for what I did and when it came to asking the manager about a wage query she then tried every way to fire me great place to work easy work just a really bad manager.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Bad manager
was a customer service assistant
Costumer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Borehamwood, Hertfordshire20 March 2019
felt had no support from management, was working up to 70 hours a week sometimes no day off was a lot of family members related to store manager working within my store felt wasn't treated fairly at all & felt wasn't given right training
Management sucks
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Normanton19 March 2019
Management do not know how to talk to staff, treat you like you're nothing to them and expect hard work back in return for nothing. Not worth the grief and expectations when they don't treat you well.
Pros
Canteen
Draining
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom18 March 2019
If you want to be called constantly to cover people's shifts this is the place. If you want regular/set hours, good luck finding them here. Clicky atmosphere, you'll end up taking the blame for everyone else's mistakes even when you weren't there. The lack of actual staff training is appalling. You get made to do all these little online tests that don't actually teach you anything (usually think 25 policies) every few weeks but no one actually spends time with you going round the shop and teaching you what you need to know to be able to do your job properly. I'm a manager there, been there nearly two years and still haven't been trained properly. Cannot wait to leave.

No security so if you want threatening with a knife by a shoplifter then come on down! Pay isn't bad (it's above minimum wage) but as a manager, every other supermarket is on more money than us at one stop!

You will also be open til 11pm every Sunday, every bank holiday and basically every day minus three days a year.

Say good bye to evenings and weekends!
No sick pay. You'll get your holidays messed about. You'll never get paid the same amount of wages twice. 20 minute break for an 8 hour shift of manual labour. No thanks. No praise. Absolutely soul destroying company to work for.

The only people who do well here are the ones who treat One Stop like their entire world and basically live and breathe one stop. Store managers are on a poor salary too. Not worth it.
New Moston store- Awful
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 March 2019
Awful place to work. The way management treat new employees in this particular store is disgusting. The job it's self was simple and £8.00 an hour seemed great but not for the way you are treated when there. Not even private and confidential information is kept that way, the gossiping that goes on is unbelievable. Certain member of the team would just sit in the office avoiding work including management whilst watching you on cctv and even talking about you. Definitely not a good place to work.
Pros
Discount and 4 weekly rota
Cons
Being treated like dirt, gossiped about and even bullied.
Thats very bad place, better to avoid
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Normanton, West Yorkshire1 March 2019
I never work in so terrible depressing place like this. Better to find another workplace. I regret working there but I had no choice. Even agency job is better
Pros
Free coffie and 2 vending machines
Cons
Long 10 hours shift, 2x 30 minuts unpaid breaks, Low underpaid payments, high unrealistic target, poor H&S, dirty toilets, small canteen, terrible and unfriendly managmets, repetitve, stresfull
Nice atmosphere but management aren't serious
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire28 February 2019
Other stores my differ, but my time was enjoyable half the time and dreadful the rest, depending on whom I worked with. Management didn't take complaints seriously and had obvious favourites. Workers could commit sackable offences often and not be held to account.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at One Stop Stores. Our community is ready to answer.