Oliver Bonas

Oliver Bonas Employee Reviews

United Kingdom71 reviews
A lot was expected of us at OB, but it made for a good working environment. My manager was really good at delegating tasks and making us feel part of a team. We all took it in turns to have a go at different jobs.
A typical day working in Oliver Bonas would differ each shift. Rotation of each departments can be expected from each shift you do which means you are dealing with every aspect of the shop and customer service experience which I liked. Also, the staff and management were wonderful and I felt immediately welcomed into the Oliver Bonas family.
I have worked in the company for three years and have had nothing but a great time. You have the opportunity to pick up work when and if you want in other stores (if needed) which I found very helpful. There is a very personal approach to work whereby nearly everyone is lovely to each other. I have found that manager satisfaction differs from store to store, but overall I have never met a colleague who I would say I don't get along with. Most stores have 1-2 managers so getting along with at least one of them is key otherwise your in for stress. Lots of team members move stores often so most normally move if they don't like it. (Internal candidates are favoured.)
Everyone there strives to keep the workplace and workforce as happy and busy as possible by trying to organise a variety of different activities and events. This is needed as the location sort of isolates the company and you aren't involved in buzz/hub of central London.
Oliver Bonas is an enjoyable place of work, having a good management and team truly helps. OB has a positive workplace culture and always strive to do their best for their customers and colleagues.
Oliver Bonas makes you feel valued as an employee, making retail a fun and enjoyable experience. OB's management ensure staff are comfortable and trained in all areas to undertake tasks.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Weekend Hours
I thoroughly enjoyed my team with OB from start date to finish, the management and co-workers were great and the work load was enough to keep us busy every day.
Great culture, friendly and creative environment! There’s always a chance to progress and learn something new everyday! Management + HR are also super helpful all the time, making it a fun and stress free place to work.
A very slow store which only becomes busy during lunch hours and rush hour. I learned how to wrap properly with lots of practice. Management was friendly
Great place to work. Easy going. Not sales focused which was really nice. Always a job to do so you never get bored. Very busy so shifts go by super quick. Lovely people and nice management. Great for your first retail job or great for filling a gap in your CV. Short or long shifts. Discount on products.
After been in retail for many years I decided it was time to go part-time so I applied for a position at Oliver bonas
Sadly I was told that I doesn’t have a training program it all on the job training.

As a new store to me I would expect training no matter how much or little experience you have

Th
Pros
Great brand ideal if you need part time work min wage or just above
Cons
No training, no direction, key holders so managers leave early, no training manual, left to close with no manager when no fully trained, abrupt assistant manager, no praise or recognition, low staff morale, being told two or three times and being expected to know everything, no real till training or online just told to wing it!
3 February 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve been unhappy with the level of training you received in store. We do ensure that our management teams are able to provide any initial training needed for new joiners, whether that’s on or off the shop floor so that our Team Members are thoroughly prepared to take on their new role. We work to continuously to improve material and resources available making these easily accessible to all OB team members through our digital learning platform, should that be for a quick refresh on key topics or finding material to help with your own personal development. If there are any other concerns you wish to raise, please do not hesitate to get in touch us directly.
I couldn't possibly hold a lower opinion of the Area Management team at this point in time. As an experienced and successful Store Manager I have never had an Area Manager so unprofessional and absent as I did at OB.
I'm disgusted and extremely angry to hear from a reliable source, months after my leaving, that my area manager repeatedly 'slagged off' my successful store on visits to other branches. Yet failed to mention any concerns to myself.

This behaviour is why you can't keep experienced managers, and this is why I highly recommend that people don't work for you.

Work hard, play hard, be kind? Yeah, right.
3 February 2020
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you have had such a disappointing experience since leaving the business and that you have felt your Area Manager has provided some unfair comments around your store’s performance. If there are any specific issues you wish to raise directly with the OB People team in more detail, please do feel free to get in touch.
Employed on a part time basis for two days a week but expected to work double that, if not more. Rota changes without being told, and they’ll put you down for overtime that you haven’t agreed to - makes things awkward if you actually have a life outside of work so you can’t be available at the drop of a hat. Usually asked to stay until close even if you’re not contracted to.
3 February 2020
Thanks for providing us with feedback on your time with us here at OB. It’s disappointing to hear that you have felt that your rota was changed without prior notice. At OB we believe our team members should feel they are able to strike the right balance, enjoying not just their time at work but outside of work too. We naturally require our team members to at times be flexible to meet the needs of their store, but if you have any specific examples of times you feel your rota was changed unexpectedly or you had to work extra hours you did not agee to, then please do get in touch with our people team to discuss this in more detail.
I've always been a fond customer at Oliver Bonas, and the job itself is just as enjoyable as it is shopping there.

The staff are friendly and hardworking, plus you get a discount off of some products within the store.
The job puts a strong emphasis on a relaxed style of customer service. You really feel involved in the running of the store, unlike other retail positions where you just stand at a till all day.
However there is huge variation of work style between stores and managers so it depends on where you go.
OB lacks the structure and professionalism of other retail brands I have worked for.
There have been hours cuts in the last few years which leave management teams struggling to pick up the slack.
A great store to work in especially on the side of university. So much product experience and hands of training really helped me exceed at my job. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting customers with their whole sales journey especially within the furniture department, from instantly liking the product the teaching the customer more, to them thinking about it and then coming back to make a purchase really made my job enjoyable especially when they would ask for a name or bring in a little thank you gift. The management in the store really encourage you to learn more in able to do more to benefit you as well as the company.
I absolutely love working here.
Having worked at M&S and Waitrose in the past; I would say that Oliver Bonas is miles ahead.

It’s a lot more hands on compared to other retail jobs: you’ll have to hoover and mop, cash up tills, send daily trade reports, help with remerchandising and more.

If you want to pick up extra hours, you can work in other stores.
Pros
Pay, treats/incentives, yearly company party, company culture
Cons
Management style differs across stores
I worked at the company for around 7 months on the side of my university studies and BOY do I have a few things to say.

First of all, the pay is pretty decent for a retail job. £9.75 per hour is not bad compared to a lot of my friends who were earing around £8 in other retail jobs.

Now, I worked in a small store (there were 5 team members including the supervisor when I left) and because of this, a lot of team members including myself would have to take on managerial roles when the supervisor was not present. The pay at times then did feel frustrating for the amount of work we were doing and it created a very weird dynamic in the store I was at.

The workplace culture is very dependent on the store you work at. I LOVED the girls I worked with and I've become really good friends with a few of them.

On another note, the store environment was pretty darn awful towards the end of my time there. There had been an incident between a few colleagues that was not resolved professionally and everyone was very stressed towards the end. A lot of this was out of our control but I feel like coming from a company that preaches a 'family and kind' atmosphere, contingency plans would've been in place for situations like this.

Overall, I gained great new friends out of working here but it can be demanding at times and weird hours with a demand for overtime which can make you feel like at times your whole life is OB.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards :-)
All colleagues were extremely friendly. Quite demanding task wise, past retail experience definitely required. A lot of knowledge was expected when starting. Could improve on developing confidence with certain areas such as till/ refunds etc. Overall really good experience, positive environment to work, great benefits.
Pros
Friendly staff
Work at Oliver Bonas for almost 4 years. Great place to work for being retail. Good internal progression adn training.
Very good pay for part time team member, could do good money with overtime but not so good for salaried employees.

A part time team member could earn the same as a supervisor or assistant store manager but with half of the responsibilities.