Oliver Bonas Employee Reviews

weird and frustrating at times but ok i guess?
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 August 2019
I worked at the company for around 7 months on the side of my university studies and BOY do I have a few things to say.

First of all, the pay is pretty decent for a retail job. £9.75 per hour is not bad compared to a lot of my friends who were earing around £8 in other retail jobs.

Now, I worked in a small store (there were 5 team members including the supervisor when I left) and because of this, a lot of team members including myself would have to take on managerial roles when the supervisor was not present. The pay at times then did feel frustrating for the amount of work we were doing and it created a very weird dynamic in the store I was at.

The workplace culture is very dependent on the store you work at. I LOVED the girls I worked with and I've become really good friends with a few of them.

On another note, the store environment was pretty darn awful towards the end of my time there. There had been an incident between a few colleagues that was not resolved professionally and everyone was very stressed towards the end. A lot of this was out of our control but I feel like coming from a company that preaches a 'family and kind' atmosphere, contingency plans would've been in place for situations like this.

Overall, I gained great new friends out of working here but it can be demanding at times and weird hours with a demand for overtime which can make you feel like at times your whole life is OB.

Anyhow, onwards and upwards :-)
Demanding but fun workplace
Sales assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  St Albans23 August 2019
All colleagues were extremely friendly. Quite demanding task wise, past retail experience definitely required. A lot of knowledge was expected when starting. Could improve on developing confidence with certain areas such as till/ refunds etc. Overall really good experience, positive environment to work, great benefits.
Pros
Friendly staff
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London4 August 2019
Work at Oliver Bonas for almost 4 years. Great place to work for being retail. Good internal progression adn training.
Very good pay for part time team member, could do good money with overtime but not so good for salaried employees.
A part time team member could earn the same as a supervisor or assistant store manager but with half of the responsibilities.
Fun brand, still retains it's roots and people focus
Senior Learning and Development Advisor (Former Employee) –  London19 June 2019
Fun brand, still retains it's roots a smaller business with a people focus. Despite it's location, Tolworth in Chessington, the HR team are striving to create an engaging workplace through employee benefits and engagement initiatives.
Cons
Head Office location
Wonderful Job
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London25 March 2019
Great brand which I really believed in - wonderful support from the company and met some amazing people and some friends for life. Would recommend to anyone.
Great pay
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith and Fulham, Greater London24 March 2019
The company did pay great as it's living wage however it was incredibly boring. I almost fell asleep most shifts and had a lot of responsibility including opening the store and closing alone, as your pay is so high they expect you to be a key holder even though we're sales assistants.
Pros
great pay, pretty chilled
Cons
SO boring.
Great company, awful management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London23 February 2019
Oliver Bonas is a fun company to work for and does have a lot of benefits working there;
Pro's -
- 60% uniform discount
- Friendly team
- Good wage (£9.85 p/h)
- Lovely products
- Nice CEO's
- You're employed to work on set days
- Large holiday allowance

Con's -
- At my store the team member were taken advantage of, had to open and close the store so management could start/leave early
- Got upgraded to key holder but don't get paid any extra for it which is unfair as you're taking on extra responsibility but don't get anything out of it
- Managers can be really rude and patronising and force team members to work lots of overtime
- Would put us in to work any day that suited them even if it was our day off
-Manager made me cry a lot
- No work/life balance
- Head office claim to have good growth within the company which is not true the only growth that can happen is within your store if you want to become a supervisor and thats because they can't be bothered to train new members
- Long hours, don't get paid for your lunch hour
Pros
Great team
Cons
Rude management
Great company!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greater London18 February 2019
Great company to work for. Passionate about high-quality products, good design, and good people. Training is provided and management is very helpful and professional.
Great company but not a competitive salary
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  London4 February 2019
I loved working at Oliver Bonas and progressed to Assistant Manager from part-time in four years. This is fast progression though - compared to my colleagues. The salary for managerial staff is not much more than the part-time employees unfortunately.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Not a very competitive salary
stepping stone
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London8 December 2018
OB will prepare you for management roles as you have to do a lot of things on your own. Lots of opportunities to move up in the company or work in other stores around london.
It´s a serious and professional place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Chessington25 October 2018
I think It´s a good place where most of the people have chances to develop new skills, where you can learn how a real company works, It´s full of great workmates and friendly people. Fully recommended.
Friendly and fun work place!
Sales Advisor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Cardiff5 September 2018
A creative and beautiful place to work. The staff and management are hard-working and friendly which attracts great customers! There is a great staff discount and up selling is recognised by staff members which makes you feel great. I would highly recommend this employer, I had a great experience and left due to pursuing my teaching career.
Pros
Birthday lay in company policy
Cons
Busy at Christmas
Good company.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Chessington, Surrey26 June 2018
I worked at Oliver Bonas as a Christmas Temp. The pay was good and after working with the company they will pay you London wage.

I must say as a working environment it's great everyone is willing to help you with anything. You get 2 paid tea breaks and unpaid lunch and it's very rare to see anyone having a cigarette break outside their tea break.

Staff car park is also a bonus and free tea and coffee.

The work is simple you get a scanner and a login and then off you go it tells you where the item is and you pick. As with most warehouses they work with KPIs they require you pick a minimum of 4 items a minute and will actually pick you up on it if they find you slacking.

You are trained by other team members and they take their time to explain stuff to you I never felt my colleagues let me down.

My only complaint is that I felt treated as a machine and not a human being. I was having some issues with my personal life where I did become homeless and I had a team leader only ask if I was still going to be coming into work when I told him why I was late and what was going on.

I also applied to a different role within the company only to be sat in a meeting with both my team leaders and being called unprofessional and being told I couldn't move departments unless I had been with the company for "a few years". I felt unsupported and held to ransom.

Ultimately I left Oliver Bonas as I could no longer separate what was going on with my personal life with work. I was impacting my friends life where I was living on his couch and was constantly showing up late to work
  more... as it took me an hour and a half to get there and it wasn't fair on my team members picking up the slack for me.  less
Pros
1 free lunch, often praised for good word, good team, many meetings, peoples opinions and suggestions were valued.
Cons
The canteen was often filthy, some people used to overstay their tea breaks.
Decent pay for repetitive work
Web Fulfilment & Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Chessington, Surrey24 June 2018
My time at Oliver Bonas was enjoyable for the most part, having worked only Saturday and Sunday I was never exhausted from the amount of work that was expected of me. The major thing that I can critique is management and their lack of direction, I would discuss matters with people in various departments and they would agree that it became an 'Us vs. Them' environment instead of an inclusive environment where everyone is allowed to ask each other for advice as to how to efficiently carry out a task. More often than not the people with the knowledge as to how the warehouse worked were overlooked in comparison to the managers with the 'people skills'. Nevertheless I enjoyed my time hitting an easy to reach target.
Pros
Stress-Free
The best company ever
Sales Assistant / Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hammersmith10 April 2018
Such a good retail job, no complaints, I had the best manager you could ever have in retail, such a relaxed environment i have absolutely nothing to say about the company that is negative in terms of the shop-floor
Super Job
Vendeur (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh3 April 2018
An excellent company to work for.

Great atmosphere for all staff and always friendly management.
More caring than other companies
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London16 March 2018
I have been working there for over a year . The trainng is great quality and you are often invited to workshops and launches in Head office if you are management.
They seem to care about their staff and we have a few perks here and there wich are quite agreeable like free ice cream on the hottest day of the year, 1 hour lie in paid for your birthday and extra holidays after a few years. Teams are generally lovely and full of great people.

On the down side, supervisors like me are often made to do an assistant manager job.The line is very thin between the two and supervisors are used to do more work for less pay and more stress.

We have to "help out" the manager for any recorded conversations or disciplinaries, however it is not mentioned in my job description. From there it can be easy to do a lot more than your load of work.

Depending on your manager, you may have to do their work too and higher management will not know about this.

Otherwise, apart from this it is a lovely company to work for and the best I've encountered so far.
Pros
fruit boxes each week in december/ birthday lie in hour
Cons
long hours, heavy workload
Fluent Customer Service experience
Part Time Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond upon Thames, Greater London20 February 2018
The day is very much a balance of working hard and having fun and being compassionate to those who enter through the doors.
We go from a analytical start that progresses into full on tasks and then progresses into the fruits of our loom with the excellent customer service that is provided on a consistent basis.
At the end of day with the help of a fully organised mechanism we are able to maintain standards and leave the shop fully knowing we have ticked all the boxes.
Great Pay and Benefits
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Embankment Station19 February 2018
Located inside a station so can be fairly busy
Pay their stuff living wage and staff discount is also a bonus
Managment are okay but no progress in training staff in moving forward
The Real Truth
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London25 January 2018
Well, no progression, minimal wage,(even they lied about it in my interview, it will be much higher, But the Truth is not).No personal life.The interview process took me 1 month, it is hilarious ...you have to experience it to believe how rip off company they are.
Pros
N/a
Cons
The Managers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Oliver Bonas. Our community is ready to answer.