Oldham Council

Oldham Council Employee Reviews

United Kingdom53 reviews
Felt I had to leave as I was boxed in by favouritism, cronyism, paranoia and envy.

Could have done much more without the above, in spite of line manager's assertion that I was worthless...
In my time working for OMBC I was subjected to racism and bullying.
This was dealt with and I received an apology from the head of service.

However, I have witnessed bullying on multiple occasions by management.
Poor management, poor development, left to wait days for work with no one to help. Training.... non existent. Management clueless..... the majority of management sat in meetings talking about meetings they had already had or that they need to have rather than doing some work.... utterly ridiculous.
No growth, if your face fits your in the club, no matter how poor you are at the job - Management all bow down and bend over backwards for corrupt councillors, always finding ways to hide money - health and safety non existent - no scope for growth at all - boys club with mediocrity and incompetence rewarded, speak up and face reprocussions - beware before taking a role - especially if you are from the borough
Good atmosphere to work
good management

friendly staff

town centre car parking issue

busy

collaboration/joint working

good work life balance

understanding manager
I wash up, sweep, mop, set out tables an cutlery, serve food and clean up afterwards by using the dishwasher, and making sure the kitchen is clean and tidy ready for the next day, as well as completing any tasks that are given to me by my supervisor.
I was on a FTC which was ending due to department closure. However, I really enjoyed this job and was given a lot of autonomy to make better working practices.
I worked on a casual basis for the local and European elections so it was a great opportunity for me to work for a large local employer and at the same time do something for my local community.
They don’t like change, a lot of money is spent on initiatives to implement change that are then shelved.
There’s a lot of under appreciated people and talent working there, also a lot of dead wood.

Management leave on huge pay outs.

Progression is quite difficult as you’ll probably be served with a redundancy notice multiple times a year so no-one wants to risk moving roles.
Pros
Hours, colleagues
Cons
Low pay, culture, management
Planning activities. sports, football cricket. organising games throughout the school holidays.

Learned how to plan liase with yp and families. Organising and planning activities.

Maintaining Yp Behaviour making sure children are safe.

Playing sports football with yp.
There is a very relaxed atmosphere here which is nice however the work can often build up and leave you feeling overwhelmed. I worked here for several years and I loved most of my time here however it's very hard to progress to a new role, there is alot of pressure for you to remain in the same role for many years.

I would definitely recommend people to work here however be very aware that you need to show your value to management or else you could find your name on a list of redundancies.
Pros
Good hours, nice pay
Cons
Too much work per staff member, high redundancy rate
It is a relaxed work place, however, I worked in a school but was employed by the council.
Working in the school does have its perks but it also has it's stresses.
Pros
school holidays
The job role in itself was a varied admin role supporting governing bodies, daily work load was manageable and time was flexible. Oldham Council has many courses and programmes available to their staff for free which was fantastic and I really enjoyed this aspect.

The role was temporary but many other temp positions available. I chose to leave because the majority of the work force is closer to retirement than early/mid career mark and could be a frustrating place to work. Many cannot use a computer and there was alot of negativity and moaning over not much. The Council would run alot better if the staff were given IT training, hours could be wasted by a whole team searching for a word document on one computer.
Pros
free courses
Cons
downbeat environment
Whilst I was there I enjoyed it, the managers where great with me and the working environment was great at the time for what I wanted. Can't argue with it.
Pros
great
Cons
great
a typical day at Oldham Council included team building exercises and leadership skills. I learnt how to work well with others and work just as well independently. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a laugh with friends whilst being able to work
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No transport near
A typical day at work consisted of getting on for 7:45 and leaving at 16:00

Upon arriving to work I would have my workload set out for the day and this would keep me constantly busy throughout my day.
Always enjoyed working there
Different locations besides my main one. Been in some creepy old buildings.

Good manager and training

To get nhmbersi of hours had couple oc different locations to work at
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Had to do a few locations to get the hours
Nice atmosphere, nice people. Working hours wasn’t too long. I enjoyed my time working for Oldham council mainly because of my colleagues because they was very open and welcoming when I first started. I also enjoyed it because of what we was working for/towards
Friendly staff good clean work I enjoyed working with the staff ,prepared the food.eati g lunch serving the classes. Also being part of a team.I learned a lot got two certified certificates.
Pros
Part time
Cons
I have worked for Oldham council as a teacher for over 5 years and it has been a very rewarding job. Each day is a challenge which leaves me energized to continue onto the next...
Oldham has some of the best staff in schools that I have ever worked with and I believe they will support you with any role you wish to partake in.

The children in Oldham are great to work with and I look forward to continuing my work here for them.
Pros
Great kids!
Cons
Paperwork overload and underfunded
Good to work for the council money was decent and staff were really helpful, the shifts were sometimes a little on the rubbish side but apart from that they were ok.
Pros
staff
Cons
was laid off