Oldham Council Employee Reviews

Convenient location and one of Oldhams biggest employers
Elections Runner (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester30 July 2019
I worked on a casual basis for the local and European elections so it was a great opportunity for me to work for a large local employer and at the same time do something for my local community.
A bit stagnant, tired and a lot of redundancies
Customer Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Civic Street9 July 2019
They don’t like change, a lot of money is spent on initiatives to implement change that are then shelved.
There’s a lot of under appreciated people and talent working there, also a lot of dead wood.
Management leave on huge pay outs.
Progression is quite difficult as you’ll probably be served with a redundancy notice multiple times a year so no-one wants to risk moving roles.
Pros
Hours, colleagues
Cons
Low pay, culture, management
Very Fun and enjoyable
Sports Leader (Former Employee) –  Oldham20 June 2019
Planning activities. sports, football cricket. organising games throughout the school holidays.

Learned how to plan liase with yp and families. Organising and planning activities.

Maintaining Yp Behaviour making sure children are safe.

Playing sports football with yp.
Nice place
There is a very relaxed atmosphere here which is nice however the work can often build up and leave you feeling overwhelmed. I worked here for several years and I loved most of my time here however it's very hard to progress to a new role, there is alot of pressure for you to remain in the same role for many years.

I would definitely recommend people to work here however be very aware that you need to show your value to management or else you could find your name on a list of redundancies.
Pros
Good hours, nice pay
Cons
Too much work per staff member, high redundancy rate
Relaxed
Business Administrator (Current Employee) –  Oldham19 March 2019
It is a relaxed work place, however, I worked in a school but was employed by the council.
Working in the school does have its perks but it also has it's stresses.
Pros
school holidays
Aging Work Force
Governor Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Oldham4 December 2018
The job role in itself was a varied admin role supporting governing bodies, daily work load was manageable and time was flexible. Oldham Council has many courses and programmes available to their staff for free which was fantastic and I really enjoyed this aspect.

The role was temporary but many other temp positions available. I chose to leave because the majority of the work force is closer to retirement than early/mid career mark and could be a frustrating place to work. Many cannot use a computer and there was alot of negativity and moaning over not much. The Council would run alot better if the staff were given IT training, hours could be wasted by a whole team searching for a word document on one computer.
Pros
free courses
Cons
downbeat environment
Was great
Oldham Council (Former Employee) –  Oldham Council17 September 2018
Whilst I was there I enjoyed it, the managers where great with me and the working environment was great at the time for what I wanted. Can't argue with it.
Pros
great
Cons
great
Productive and fun workplace
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester13 September 2018
a typical day at Oldham Council included team building exercises and leadership skills. I learnt how to work well with others and work just as well independently. the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to have a laugh with friends whilst being able to work
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
No transport near
Temporary Elections Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester10 July 2018
A typical day at work consisted of getting on for 7:45 and leaving at 16:00

Upon arriving to work I would have my workload set out for the day and this would keep me constantly busy throughout my day.
Fu n place
Cleaning Operative (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester30 January 2018
Always enjoyed working there
Different locations besides my main one. Been in some creepy old buildings.
Good manager and training
To get nhmbersi of hours had couple oc different locations to work at
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Had to do a few locations to get the hours
Fun work place
Glasshouse operative (Former Employee) –  Alexandra park25 November 2017
Nice atmosphere, nice people. Working hours wasn’t too long. I enjoyed my time working for Oldham council mainly because of my colleagues because they was very open and welcoming when I first started. I also enjoyed it because of what we was working for/towards
Good place
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester24 November 2017
Friendly staff good clean work I enjoyed working with the staff ,prepared the food.eati g lunch serving the classes. Also being part of a team.I learned a lot got two certified certificates.
Pros
Part time
Teachers
Primary School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester12 October 2017
I have worked for Oldham council as a teacher for over 5 years and it has been a very rewarding job. Each day is a challenge which leaves me energized to continue onto the next...
Oldham has some of the best staff in schools that I have ever worked with and I believe they will support you with any role you wish to partake in.
The children in Oldham are great to work with and I look forward to continuing my work here for them.
Pros
Great kids!
Cons
Paperwork overload and underfunded
good work place
Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester12 September 2017
Good to work for the council money was decent and staff were really helpful, the shifts were sometimes a little on the rubbish side but apart from that they were ok.
Pros
staff
Cons
was laid off
helping an rewarding
Home Help (Current Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester10 September 2017
Greeting my clients with a happy and friendly face each time i see them , helping them with everyday duties which they struggle with.
which is a pleasure to be part of. This shows that i am trustworthy an loyal even tho i work on my own my previous jobs show i can work as part of a team as well . I also contribute in the catering side for Oldham Council this also shows i can work with all ages from young to elderly.
Pros
flexible hours
Suitable hours
Self-employed (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester2 September 2017
Hours suited my day to day.
The children were a pleasure to be with.
The parents appreciated everything I did for them.
The pay was reasonable for the hours worked.
Really good
Community Interpreter (Former Employee) –  Oldham28 July 2017
People are really helpful. Disciplined. Really good environment. Comfortable. I learnt lots of English words. I enjoy the teaching system and have lots of information about different services.
Pros
Helped my children with their honework. I can talk English with them.
Cons
No Cons.
Productive and fast paced
Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oldham, Greater Manchester22 July 2017
helped prepare meals
food prepping
general cleaning duties ie mopping sweeping

basic hygiene course paid for
short hours for the working day
mon-fri
Pros
term time joB
productive
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oldham4 July 2017
the most enjoyable part of the job is being there to see the children progress.A typical day at work is busy and non stop but no 2 days are ever the same . I have learned to work as part of a hardworking team who pull together at all times and support each other .
Good pay
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Royton16 May 2017
the job was good pay but very hard, tasks were given ontop of general work, and the area you was given would slip, because of covering for someone elses work, the work load was very hard but the pay made it worthwhile.
Pros
good pay
Cons
way to much work